PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 Compensatory Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand, the comp rules apply until May 7th. At that time the comp pics are set.

1) we currently have 2 thirds and a 6th.

2) If we sign another midlevel pick (with none of our FA signed) , we would lose our 6th. I don't think that there is any possibility of us losing a 3rd with only one signing.

3) If we sign 2 qualifying picks, we would lose a 6th and a 3rd.

4) If one of ours is signed, we would gain a 6th or 7th. Any more signings by others is irrelevant. Four comp picks is the limit.

When I discuss signings above, I presume that these signings are ones that count; many do not.
========
Given the above, we are OK to sign any of our own. If none of our are signed by others, we could sign one more free agent at the cost of a 6th. Trades are unaffected, and some should happen during the draft, or in the couple of days before and after.

Someone is going to sign Shelton. This happened with Blount a few years ago. Somehow we were able to extend Blount's date so that we received a pick for him anyway. Does anyone remember how and would it apply here if we did it?

I read something the other day saying that teams have basically caught on now, which is why the low to mid tier free agent market has dried up. They’re not willing to sacrifice their comp picks; would rather wait for the draft and until 5/7 to then fill the remaining holes. That’s why guys like Ghost, Shelton and Hogan have no market right now.

Yes, some teams are waiting.

However, many teams will end up with no picks. They are signing more than they are losing. Those teams are in fine position to sign players.

I read something the other day saying that teams have basically caught on now, which is why the low to mid tier free agent market has dried up. They’re not willing to sacrifice their comp picks; would rather wait for the draft and until 5/7 to then fill the remaining holes. That’s why guys like Ghost, Shelton and Hogan have no market right now.

Yes, some teams are waiting.

However, many teams will end up with no picks. They are signing more than they are losing. Those teams are in fine position to sign players.

But in that case, it makes sense for the free agents to wait before signing with anyone because they might have more options after May 7th.

As I understand, the comp rules apply until May 7th. At that time the comp pics are set.

No, they're not "set" at that point. That's the last date for which signing a qualifying UFA counts as a "gain/loss" in the formula.

Among other things that could affect the comp picks after that date:
  • If teams release UFAs too soon (e.g., during TC), they no longer count as "FAs gained/lost" in the formula. So, for example, if the Bills release LaAdrian Waddle, the Pats would lose a comp pick. If the Pats release, say, Terrence Brooks, they might gain a comp pick.
  • Trading players in the first year of a qualifying contract can gain/cost a comp pick. [The Pats lost a comp pick by trading for Isaac Sopoaga, even though he played more snaps for the Eagles.]
  • Playing time during the season can boost/drop picks near the cutoffs.

The Pats will most likely end up with two 3rds and two 6ths. You can’t be awarded more than 4 picks, if any of the Pats signees don’t make the squad or their salaries fall below the pick threshold.

OTC has a great page in the cancellation chart

Compensatory Draft Picks Cancellation Chart | Over the Cap

Right now the Pats have two 6th round picks being cancelled by lower 7th picks who will most likely not make the squad. Add to the fact that if Shelton, Hogan, Hill, Huber, Mccellan sign elsewhere, the Pats would easily get that second sixth rd pick.

Gostkowski is an outliner, if he signs elsewhere no matter what he signs for the most the Pats can get is a 5th rd pick because he is a 10+ year veteran, it’s called the Allen Faneca rule.

Gostkowski is an outliner, if he signs elsewhere no matter what he signs for the most the Pats can get is a 5th rd pick because he is a 10+ year veteran, it’s called the Allen Faneca rule.

It's kind of a moot point, though, since a fourth-round pick requires a deal on the order of $8M+ a year.

Alan Bailey is visiting the Panthers today....

Hopefully, we can dangle a bigger carrot and tell him to wait a few weeks...

I would be a horrible head coach. I would sign everybody.

I would be a horrible head coach. I would sign everybody.
You mean a horrible GM. You could still be a great head coach.

I do agree with your premise, It takes great discipline and a cool head to not sign any UFA's while every team around you is doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back