PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 NE CAP SPACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems like 1.8M cap hit - 1.3M off cap space for Simon in 2019
(id guess incentives will be NLTB considering his low snap count etc in 2018)

2.2M for Pennel (minus top 51 contract) + if any LTB incentives

Here's from Miguel - 5.9M before Allen & Dorsett . means probably still space for Ghost before any restructure :)

'
Miguel doesn't know and i trust him more than this hater.

Miguel has a hater? How could anyone hate Miguel lol, dude has worked his ass off and provided us all valuable information for years and years, and eventually turned that into a gig for himself

I hope the hater isn't on this forum... could you reveal this hater's identity to feed my desire for juicy gossip?

i guess we're slowly coming on the same page..

Miguel has a hater? How could anyone hate Miguel lol, dude has worked his ass off and provided us all valuable information for years and years, and eventually turned that into a gig for himself

I hope the hater isn't on this forum... could you reveal this hater's identity to feed my desire for juicy gossip?
He’s just saying that Hannable is a Pats hater. No one in their right mind could hate on Miguel or what he does.

Many assumed that the $5.5 million number from Breer’s “internal report” was more up to date, including Hannable and at least one vocal Twitter user in Miguel’s replies. Turns out that the $5.5 million was actually pretty outdated and Miguel was correct as he always is.

here a nugget most might not yet be familiar with re. future cap management:

Last edited:
but we are so 'tight' against the cap....
Well, they are currently tight against the cap. It’s a bit different this year. Miguel would be the first to tell you that. Almost 57% of the space is being tied up by top 10 salaries, which is normally somewhere between 45-48%.

The debate that some of us are having is how they should free some of this money up, and whether or not they can afford a “big name.” It has always been reasonable to assume that a guy like Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb could come here, which is the question that Reiss was responding to. In the meantime, some have thrown around some pipe dream ideas, which some posters and fans have disagreed with.

You, yourself, recently claimed that they’d be able to sign their important players (kicker, punter, etc) while having space for the rookie pool, but that there wouldn’t be any splash signings. I think most are in agreement, although the idea of a big name signing is a bit subjective, depending on personal evaluation of that player. Either way, I don’t think Randall Cobb would fit the criteria, but he’d be a nice addition for what they’d need from him.

Well, they are currently tight against the cap.

The cap is not a year-to-year thing but something you need to look at as a 2-3 year window in terms of structure. "Currently" is meaningless.

They can make any move they want and sign whoever they want because that is the flexibility they have due to being pretty disciplined in the past and not creating a lot of future debt. As we have learned today most contracts have automatic restructure language in them nowadays. So it is not even a matter of enticing a player to do it because it is a purely accounting move.

Miguel would be the first to tell you that. Almost 57% of the space is being tied up by top 10 salaries, which is normally somewhere between 45-48%.

How is this relevant ? Again, look at it through a rolling average instead of only this year. Most of the big items come off the cap next year (Gronk, DMac.. even Brady). This is what the backend of contracts looks like and it will be a bigger hit on top 10 players than on the middle class.

It has always been reasonable to assume that a guy like Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb could come here, which is the question that Reiss was responding to. In the meantime, some have thrown around some pipe dream ideas, which some posters and fans have disagreed with.

But there are no pipedreams from a "is it possible" kinda angle. If they wanted and felt it is value they could have signed Flowers or paid AB/OBJ without any issues whatsoever. Again, checkout the APY on deals that Flowers, Landon Collins, Mathieu or Earl Thomas got to see how much you can do with structure. Hell they were offering 10m APY to Humphries.

Now from a "BB team building" perspective players like that are definitely pipedreams but that doesn't mean they couldn't afford them if they wanted.

1y might make a slightly bigger cap hit . still, probably incentives heavy and most NLTB..

How is this relevant ? Again, look at it through a rolling average instead of only this year. Most of the big items come off the cap next year (Gronk, DMac.. even Brady). This is what the backend of contracts looks like and it will be a bigger hit on top 10 players than on the middle class.
How is it relevant? It’s relevant because it helps to explain why things are different, this year. Normally, they’re not as top heavy, and they usually aren’t quite as close to the cap as they’ve been this early in the game.

Yes, that is going to change for 2020. I don’t think anyone has ever suggested otherwise, but for 2019, they are tighter than normally are. I would also caution that they only have 29 guys under contract for next year, and that’s not including Brady, who will likely take up around 1/4 of their available space.

I’m not claiming that what you say isn’t true, but it’s just a bit ironic how in one sentence you claim how disciplined they’ve historically been, and in another how easy it will be for them to buck that trend and kick money down the road.

Also, they went after Humphries at the very beginning of free agency, so I don’t think it’s fair to assume that they’d have made all of the other moves that they’ve made. Would they go after him again, right now? That’s the question that some of us aren’t as sure of. Either way, they’re going to free up money, but I don’t know if it’s going to be enough for the likes of AJ Green and some of the other names that have been mentioned.

I didn't see this posted yet. Very interesting to compare team compositions:

Per someone's comments, the Patriots are as follows:

• 3rd in QB spending
  • 29th in WR spending
  • 3rd in RB spending
  • 4th in TE spending
  • 28th in OL spending
  • 27th in DL spending
  • 13 in LB spending
  • 2nd in DB spending

here a nugget most might not yet be familiar with re. future cap management:

This is very valuable information for those concerned about the Patriots ability to make additional moves because of their cap situation.

Basically, what Mr. Corry said is the simple restructures, where salary is paid as a bonus and thus the charged to the cap over the remaining years of the contract, usually are negotiated in advance and the player doesn’t have to even give approval for it to be done.

In earlier posts, I outlined how roughly $17 million of cap space can be transferred to the 2019 cap using this method. However, there is no need to do it until it’s needed especially considering the ease and quickness we now know it can be done.

The best way to generate cap space is by extending contracts not restructuring them. Extensions for Brady, Edelman, Gronkowski, Van Noy and F.McCourty would not only assure they stay around beyond next season but also create considerable cap space in 2019.

I didn't see this posted yet. Very interesting to compare team compositions:

Per someone's comments, the Patriots are as follows:

• 3rd in QB spending
  • 29th in WR spending
  • 3rd in RB spending
  • 4th in TE spending
  • 28th in OL spending
  • 27th in DL spending
  • 13 in LB spending
  • 2nd in DB spending

When I look at this chart ...

Well, they are currently tight against the cap. It’s a bit different this year. Miguel would be the first to tell you that. Almost 57% of the space is being tied up by top 10 salaries, which is normally somewhere between 45-48%.

The debate that some of us are having is how they should free some of this money up, and whether or not they can afford a “big name.” It has always been reasonable to assume that a guy like Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb could come here, which is the question that Reiss was responding to. In the meantime, some have thrown around some pipe dream ideas, which some posters and fans have disagreed with.

You, yourself, recently claimed that they’d be able to sign their important players (kicker, punter, etc) while having space for the rookie pool, but that there wouldn’t be any splash signings. I think most are in agreement, although the idea of a big name signing is a bit subjective, depending on personal evaluation of that player. Either way, I don’t think Randall Cobb would fit the criteria, but he’d be a nice addition for what they’d need from him.

I don't get all this Randall Cobb stuff . He was good but hasn't been healthy for three years and there is no reason to expect that to change. Jordy Nelson maybe but only a bargain price.

I don't get all this Randall Cobb stuff . He was good but hasn't been healthy for three years and there is no reason to expect that to change. Jordy Nelson maybe but only a bargain price.
Just using guys like Cobb, Nelson, and Garçon as examples, that’s all. You can choose your own adventure.

What is Miguel's latest cap number, and what contracts are excluded (Dorsett?, Ryan?)?

I don't use Twitter and the latest on BSJ is out of date (excludes 6 contracts).
=====
EDIT: I saw the tweet above. I guess that the latest is $5.9M with Dorsett and Ryan outstanding.
This is much, much better news than when 5 contracts were outstanding last week with $9.9M outstanding. I can't come close to reconciling the 2 numbers since 4 contracts seem to total $6.3M) but that matters not. I'm more than happy with the new number.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back