PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 NE CAP SPACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Miguel's latest cp number, and what contracts are excluded (Dorsett?, Ryan?)

I don't use Twitter and the latest on BSJ is out of date (excludes 6 contracts).
=====
EDIT: I saw the tweet above. I guess that the latest is $5.9M with Dorsett and Ryan outstanding.
This is much, much better news than when 5 contracts were outstanding last week with $9.9M outstanding. I can't come close to reconciling the 2 numbers since 4 contracts seem to total $6.3M) but that matters not. I'm more than happy with the new number.

That was actually the point of the thread - to make people more happy..;)
Glad it worked..

I don't fully understand the Salary Cap. I assume the Patriots are responsible for paying the salaries/bonuses of the players? Each team pays their own way right? So Kraft is the one that pays out and likewise with all the other franchise owners. It's not the NFL organisation that pays out because then all franchises would be constantly at the max, right?

Please help me understand. Thanks

How is it relevant? It’s relevant because it helps to explain why things are different, this year. Normally, they’re not as top heavy, and they usually aren’t quite as close to the cap as they’ve been this early in the game.

I like the idea of looking at the cap through percentages and how spending is distributed but that assumes that teams never change their approach in terms of how much they are willing to pay absolute stars and go for more 3-4m contracts than those 7-8m deals to balance it out. Similarly, how often has Brady gone into a season with a charge that large ? How often was he on an expiring deal ? Context is king when it comes to look at the exact cap numbers.

There is no "early" in this game because in 10h they could be sitting at 10m+ more space. I think what would be much more interesting to see is with how much money they will go into the season when we hit September. That is far more telling than a arbitrary point in April with almost the entire offseason still ahead. But obviously people (and journalists) don't have the patience but need something to discuss now.

We are better off today with about 5m in space than after 2016 when we went into the offseason with 60m+ in space but dozens of vacancies. Mostly because proven talent is already on the roster and only a handful moves are left to be done.

I’m not claiming that what you say isn’t true, but it’s just a bit ironic how in one sentence you claim how disciplined they’ve historically been, and in another how easy it will be for them to buck that trend and kick money down the road.

I don't see how that is ironic. I am just pointing out that you can't be tight against the cap if you have as much flexibility to create space with the snap of a finger as the Pats do. That's like suggesting someone is running out of money except for the savings account.

Obviously as most here I am well aware of the consequences of doing it repeatedly. The Eagles and Saints will eventually reap the consequences of repeatedly kicking the can down the line.

Also, they went after Humphries at the very beginning of free agency, so I don’t think it’s fair to assume that they’d have made all of the other moves that they’ve made. Would they go after him again, right now? That’s the question that some of us aren’t as sure of. Either way, they’re going to free up money, but I don’t know if it’s going to be enough for the likes of AJ Green and some of the other names that have been mentioned.

They increased their offer to 10m APY while some people here already had been talking for days how we can't afford to sign anyone because we only have so much space. You really need to ignore the number that Miguel has written on his twitter handle because that is just a snapshot. It would be much more interesting to see the realistic estimation of the amount they could free up if they wanted to.

If they wanted to they could sign whoever they want but in the end it will be about value. When I mentioned AJ Green almost a month ago as a potential target I called it a moonshot for multiple reasons and BB not seeing the value was the biggest. Them going to 10m APY with Humphries made me a bit more curious but it remains a long shot.

My issue with the entire conversation always was reading that we can't afford something because of the cap situation. Which is absolutely not true. Of course we can't go on a 100m shopping spree but that is besides the point and mostly a strawman. But we can absolutely afford to get one elite player on a 14-15m APY contract if BB thought they could get value out of it. Which especially with WR is more than questionable but that is a different conversation altogether.

I don't fully understand the Salary Cap. I assume the Patriots are responsible for paying the salaries/bonuses of the players? Each team pays their own way right? So Kraft is the one that pays out and likewise with all the other franchise owners. It's not the NFL organisation that pays out because then all franchises would be constantly at the max, right?

Please help me understand. Thanks

Yes, Kraft pays.

All frontload money (signing bonus, fully gtd base salary) they have to deposit somewhere when the contract is signed to gtd that the owner have this kind of cash, real cash i mean. That's the gtd portion of the contract and if a player dies, familly can collect. Other bonuses are paid when earned.

During the postseason they are paid by the league on a per game basis

One example is: Raiders wanted Bell but the owner did not have the cash to bring him.

Salary is paid weekly for the 17 weeks of the regular season (bye week too). The salary paid these weeks is just the base salary in their contract.

What is Miguel's latest cap number, and what contracts are excluded (Dorsett?, Ryan?)?

I don't use Twitter and the latest on BSJ is out of date (excludes 6 contracts).
=====
EDIT: I saw the tweet above. I guess that the latest is $5.9M with Dorsett and Ryan outstanding.
This is much, much better news than when 5 contracts were outstanding last week with $9.9M outstanding. I can't come close to reconciling the 2 numbers since 4 contracts seem to total $6.3M) but that matters not. I'm more than happy with the new number.
During the offseason only the top 51 contracts count towards the cap. So whenever another player is signed, the impact is the cap hit of that contract minus the cap hit of the player being bumped out of the top 51.

Obviously as most here I am well aware of the consequences of doing it repeatedly. The Eagles and Saints will eventually reap the consequences of repeatedly kicking the can down the line.

Not necessarily. Some cap analysts said it could be about likely “lock out“ in 2021 - that might make teams more aggressive with their cap over the next few seasons..

Last edited:
Field Yates@FieldYates
Source: Patriots WR Philip Dorsett's 1-year deal includes a $500K signing bonus, a $1.5M base salary and $600K in per-game roster bonuses. He counts $2.6M against the salary cap.

that's about what I expected

So we're all happy.. I mean as reasonably possible without WR certainty..

Question : in the (unlikely) scenario NE trades for Rosen and chooses to move on from Hoyer, do their similar salaries pretty much “even out” when it comes to the cap or are they on the hook for a portion of Hoyer’s $ ?

Question : in the (unlikely) scenario NE trades for Rosen and chooses to move on from Hoyer, do their similar salaries pretty much “even out” when it comes to the cap or are they on the hook for a portion of Hoyer’s $ ?
I think it would be like less than 1 million more. Not a ton.

Not necessarily. Some cap analysts said it could be about likely “lock out“ in 2021 - that might make teams more aggressive with their cap over the next few seasons..

Yeah I read theories that some teams speculate that we could have another uncapped year when the CBA ends (or new one starts). I find it pretty risky to assume it will happen and build your long term roster plan around it.

Also if e.g. the Saints were to use a potential uncapped year to get rid of that giant cap hit Brees has coming up I am sure that would be blatant enough to get them punished similarly as the Cowboys and Redskins in 2012.

I find it more likely that e.g. the Eagles are completely fine with competing now, then 1-2 tank years where they shed contracts while Wentz gets his big contract to load up on younger talent, and then another run with him afterwards.

But we shall see..

According to Brian Hoyer

...whether he is here or not the NEP still have $1.7m in dead cap for Hoyer for the 2019 season and save $1.2m if hes sent packing.

For Rosen, there would only be cap hits based on his salary and roster bonus as AZ already paid out his signing bonus.

So if I did this right the NEP would only be responsible for ~$6.2m over the next 3 years.

Josh Rosen

So...if the NEP truly believe Rosen has the potential to be a Top 5, Top 10 starter for them.....he is the deal of the century.

So they voluntarily hand out bonuses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back