PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 NE CAP SPACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) The team understands that we need $10M or more from July onward. They may have plans to secure that money without using Gilmore's restructuring. Restructures to Hightower, Cannon, Mason and Bennett would total over $12M. I could see planning to use those $10m of these restructures for the July forward needs.

2) I also expect some minor savings from the Brady extension (let's estimate $2m), which also could be used.

3) So, if the team is planning for needing $10M, they could use all of the Gilmore savings now, and use one of the additional restructures at draft time, and still have the needed $10M.

4) For me, I hesitate on jumping on lots of free agents now, when the price in a month may be better, and we might want to trade before, during or just after the draft, or even in August.

Spending all of your cap space and not having enough to operate through a season is boxing yourself in

You are missing the point. There is a lot of cap space needed down the road. Assuming none of it is from what is available now is obtuse.
They can’t just wish new cap money.
When you look at the big picture there isn’t reasonably enough space to clear to handle those other expenses if you took it down to zero today, meaning anywhere from some to all of the Gilmore money is for future needs.

Those 2020/2021 cap #s for Gilmore look nasty. At the same time, I personally do not see Brady playing in 2021 so in 2021 we'd have more cap space to play around, and Gilmore's $19 mil cap hit isn't that terrible relatively. 2020 is the only year where Gilmore's cap hit is just flat out "yuck" despite the elite performance.

If we can land our next star rookie QB we could do what the Rams are doing now and load up the team to take advantage of the rookie contract in 2021.

Most of us find Miguel a better source of cap information.

Unfortunately the bulk of Miguel's stuff (along with McAdam's, Price's, Robb's & Ryan's) is behind a paywall that would see some of my green landing in Bedard's pocket and my hypocrisy only goes so far. It's a shame because I would gladly pay the subscription fee just for the pleasure of reading any one of the others never mind all 4 but there is no way in hell Bedard gets a dime of my money. I know there are plenty of other people that hold that gasbag in as much, if not more, contempt as I do.

Last edited:
Those 2020/2021 cap #s for Gilmore look nasty. At the same time, I personally do not see Brady playing in 2021 so in 2021 we'd have more cap space to play around, and Gilmore's $19 mil cap hit isn't that terrible relatively. 2020 is the only year where Gilmore's cap hit is just flat out "yuck" despite the elite performance.

If we can land our next star rookie QB we could do what the Rams are doing now and load up the team to take advantage of the rookie contract in 2021.

Gimore's cap will be 9.45% and 9.54% of the total cap if the cap rises 10M per year(next 2 seasons). If they cut him in 2021 will be for other reasons because he is a lock in 2020.

The team could have restructured Cannon and Bennett instead for $6.6M. IMO, the restructuring portion of Gilmore's cap is totally irrelevant. The situation would be no different if the $5.7M were associated with the salary of another player or two. The issue, that the patriots manage better than others, is to keep such restructuring components at a relatively small number, implying this strategy only when really needed.

See the attached for restructuring bonuses that are part of the 2019 cap.

New England Patriots 2019 Salary Cap

I agree about the rookie QB contract. I would like to see them draft a QB one year before Brady retires to get his feet wet but also to get the 2-3 year window on the cheap deal. So if 2020 is his last year draft one next year.

1) There is zero reason to do extensions now. Extensions require negotiations.

2) Money will be needed during and after camp; $10M is a reasonable number. So, even if we KNEW how much a Brady extension might bring, even then it would be reasonable to wait. As an aside, I believe that there is lots of elf overestimating what that number will be.
$12M cannot be moved. The cap primarily depends on the bonus, which SHOULD be significant.

3) There are about $20M of restructures that can be done. If we go beyond that need, perhaps we might NEED to do extensions. I'm not against extensions, but no needn't be the time. There is lots of other personnel issues to deal with (re-singings, free agents, trades and the draft).

AS AN ASIDE, a Gilmore restructure was announced this morning freeing up $5.7M of cap space. The team is negotiating with Gostkowski and apparently also wants the freedom to deal with others.

I don't get what your point is. You are more or less repeating what I have been saying.

In summary: They were never in a tight cap situation because they have numerous potential restructures at hand. Similarly, there was no reason to use any of those restructures until something made it necessary which in this case most probably will turn out to be Ghost and maybe 1-2 third wave FA signings for depth.

If it were not for those we could have gone on with 2.5m until either offseason workout bonuses were due (at the earliest mid april if any ?), the draft class signed their contracts (given recent history at least 1-2 weeks after the draft ?) or another transaction came up.

Nothing has changed from where we were a few days ago.

Spending all of your cap space and not having enough to operate through a season is boxing yourself in

You are missing the point.

Oh, ok, WE are all missing the point. Thanks for clarifying.

ED2EE1EE-84D7-437E-ABEA-49F5E62C01D1.jpeg

and Bennett ($3.6M) and Cannon ($3.0M) and Hightower ($3.0M). Mason is $2.6M. There are many more smaller possibilities (for example, Harmon, White and Guy are $.8M each)

Yes. If a transaction comes up that makes it necessary to touch those sure. The bottom line is there is flexibility.

1) The team understands that we need $10M or more from July onward. They may have plans to secure that money without using Gilmore's restructuring. Restructures to Hightower, Cannon, Mason and Bennett would total over $12M. I could see planning to use those $10m of these restructures for the July forward needs.

2) I also expect some minor savings from the Brady extension (let's estimate $2m), which also could be used.

3) So, if the team is planning for needing $10M, they could use all of the Gilmore savings now, and use one of the additional restructures at draft time, and still have the needed $10M.

4) For me, I hesitate on jumping on lots of free agents now, when the price in a month may be better, and we might want to trade before, during or just after the draft, or even in August.
When have they ever restructured every last penny of potential restructure?
There is a negative to restructuring and the more you do the bigger the negative.

Yeah that will give us the space to operate but people want to turn around and use the Gilmore money on a free agent.
I’d be shocked if we restructure masons contract the year after we write it. Not our standard MO.

If they want to use any money on FA or trades they will have to go beyond Gilmore and Brady.

Why are you shocked ? We just did restructure Gilmore twice in less than a year. Mason has a good chance to play out his contract here so the chances of a restructure creating dead money down the line are smaller than with others.

Last edited:
There is a negative to restructuring and the more you do the bigger the negative.

Only if that player doesn't play out his contract. Otherwise there is no negative as it is a zero sum game.

Oh, ok, WE are all missing the point. Thanks for clarifying.

View attachment 22885
Why not just say you want to believe the first thought that pops into your head and don’t care to see the potential issues with it?
Or just plug your ears and stomp your feet.

I wish my english was better.

1. We can sign 1 billion players if they don't have a base salary bigger than the guy that have the 51 salary in our squad.

2. We need 2.5M and we already had that amount to sign our picks because SOME of them will have numbers that are bigger than this 51st guy. So THIS move is about some extension or players that we will sign. They could do that at ANY POINT.

3. We don't have to pay roster guys number 52 or 53, or any IR dude untill the day before the first game.

4. PS players are paid 8,400 per week, if the team want to pay them more OK. But the standard is to pay this amount. 10 guys x 8,400 = 84k per week x 17 weeks = 1,4M against the cap

5. We will cut players ok? We have players that make less than 600k (Crossen, Jackson, maybe Berrios while Gordon is suspended) so when we cut the long shots such as Bruce Ellington, Maurice Harris and others the cap Will increase!!!!!!

Lets project the roster now:

We have some locks:

Quarterbacks

12 Tom Brady (2019)
2 Brian Hoyer (2019)

Running backs

26 Sony Michel (2022)
28 James White (2020)
34 Rex Burkhead (2020)
38 Brandon Bolden (2020)

Fullback

46 James Develin (2020)

Wide receivers

11 Julian Edelman (2019)
13 Phillip Dorsett (2019)

Tight ends

87 Rob Gronkowski (2019)
85 Matt LaCosse

Offensive linemen

60 David Andrews C (2020)
61 Marcus Cannon RT (2021)
62 Joe Thuney LG (2019)
75 Ted Karras C/G
69 Shaq Mason RG (2023)
76 Isaiah Wynn LT/LG (2022)

Defensive linemen

70 Adam Butler DT (2019)
58 Michael Bennett DL (2020)
93 Lawrence Guy DT (2020)
90 Mike Pennel DT (2020)
91 Deatrich Wise Jr. DE (2020)
55 John Simon DE (2020)

Linebackers

51 Ja'Whaun Bentley (2021)
54 Dont'a Hightower (2020)
52 Elandon Roberts (2019)
53 Kyle Van Noy (2019)

Defensive backs

23 Patrick Chung SS (2020)
29 Duke Dawson CB (2021)
24 Stephon Gilmore CB (2021)
21 Duron Harmon FS (2020)
27 J. C. Jackson CB (2020)
32 Devin McCourty FS (2019)
31 Jonathan Jones CB (2019)
30 Jason McCourty CB (2020)

ST

18 Matthew Slater (2019)
38 Brandon Bolden (2020)
35 Terrence Brooks FS (2020)
43 Nate Ebner FS
36 Brandon King LB
35 Keion Crossen
22 Obi Melifonwu FS/SS

Special teams

49 Joe Cardona LS (2022)
6 Ryan Allen P (2019)

Total: 44 players

= +- $11,746,291 (thats our cap after the roster cuts)

- Josh Gordon is suspended so is his contract

But if for some miracle he is able to play week 1, we will have 45 players under contract and this cap

$10,216,291 (If he plays all 16 games)

+ 10 PS players signed 1,4M

$8,800,000

+ 12 Draft picks signed. THAT WON'T MAKE THE ROSTER BUT LETS PRETEND

$6,300,000

- Gost signed

$3,000,000 <<<<------ That's more or less what we will have but i would guess btw 4 and 6M

- What can you do?

Extend Brady 3-4M savings
Extend Edelman 1-2M savings
Extend KVN 1-2M savings

Last edited:
Unfortunately the bulk of Miguel's stuff (along with McAdam's, Price's, Robb's & Ryan's) is behind a paywall that would see some of my green landing in Bedard's pocket and my hypocrisy only goes so far. It's a shame because I would gladly pay the subscription fee just for the pleasure of reading any one of the others never mind all 4 but there is no way in hell Bedard gets a dime of my money. I know there are plenty of other people that hold that gasbag in as much, if not more, contempt as I do.
Absolutely!

Absolutely!

With the passing of Nick Cafardo it is particularly painful to be doing without McAdam. IMO he is now far and away the best baseball writer we have left.

Looking over the caphits there really isn't a bad contract for this year except the 13.5 M for McCourty. That is far too high. Some nice steals in there with Edelman and Mason. Do we extend McCourty for 1 year to reduce his caphit or is he just going to play out the contract and then retire?

I strongly agree.

The patriots use re-structuring less than almost any team.

However, this year we could use more than is normal for the patriots. There is $85M in cap room for 2020, a large number for the patriots. Also, given that the contract ends after the 2020 season, it may be prudent to carry over less into 2021 than is the norm (it may be "use it or lose it".

To put in another way, we have contracts ending in 2020. IMO, there is little downside in restructuring those contracts and pushing a few million into 2020 where there is lots of cap room.

When have they ever restructured every last penny of potential restructure?

Absolutely!

I understand your position. Personally, I don't act that way. Perhaps, I should care who profits when I buy at Amazon or buy a particular brand of TV set, or go to a particular restaurant. But I don't. I purchase products based on the quality and cost, not on the basis of who owns and who profits.

In terms of football, for me, a team is great or terrible based on the quality of the team, no matter who owns them (except when the quality of ownership passes through to the coaches and players as is the case in PITT).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe