PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 Cap set around $190M

SBB, are you honestly entertaining the idea of giving Trey Flowers 20m dollars AAV? I think something in the 12-14m dollar range is much more appropriate. That’s the kind of money you pay to elite game-changing defenders. Flowers is a great player to have and he makes this defense better, but he’s not worth anything close to that kind of payday.
I over exaggerated a little for effect. But he deserves to be paid at the top of his position and I hope we pony up this time. I guess that's probably more like 15-16 mil not 20. I think he's our best defensive player.

I over exaggerated a little for effect. But he deserves to be paid at the top of his position and I hope we pony up this time. I guess that's probably more like 15-16 mil not 20. I think he's our best defensive player.

1) IMO, Gilmore is our best defensive player.

2) Do you think that Flowers should be in the discussion for Defensive Player Of The Year? he should be if he were indeed one the top players at his position. Top DE's have that kind of impact.

Some big FA talking points I’ve been thinking about:

-Last year was a terrible year in FA, as well as the draft, for pass rushers. This year will be very deep in both, so no excuse for Bill to not address it more seriously this time. I think Flowers is the guy that needs resigned as well. He does everything BB asks out of a DE.

-Can Isaiah Wynn play LT? This is the 15+ million dollar question. I like Trent Brown, but it could save us a ton of money if Wynn is able to take over his spot next season.

-I think I’m finally in the boat. It’s time to move on from Gronk next offseason. Think at TE we should sign a vet in FA that we could get high potential out of for relatively cheap. Demetrius Harris (has been stuck behind Kelce) would be a player I’d like to bring in. Also should draft a TE in one of the first two days of the draft as well.

-Who stays? Who goes? Who gets restructured? These will be interesting decisions. It goes without saying that we have to hope Bill and Tom want to give it at least one more go. But what about the other vets like Hightower and McCourty? While I’m a big fan of both, and hope we can keep them around, I understand if we move on. It would be a good time to get younger at both positions.

You're welcome BB
* = FA after 2019

Quarterbacks

12 Tom Brady $28.500,000 | $21.000,000 - $31.500,000 - $33.000,000 (2021)
2 Brian Hoyer*

Running backs

41 Jeremy Hill* $805,000
34 Rex Burkhead
26 Sony Michel
28 James White

FullBack

46 James Develin

Wide receivers

13 Metcalf, DK, WR, Mississippi
10 Josh Gordon* $4.300,000
15 Renfrow, Hunter, WR, Clemson
84 Cordarrelle Patterson KR $3.500,000 | $3.000,000 - $4.000,000 (2020)
11 Julian Edelman* PR

Tight ends

83 Dwayne Allen* ($2.400,000)
88 Smith Jr, Irv, TE, Alabama
47 Conrad, CJ, TE, Kentucky

Offensive linemen

60 David Andrews C
77 Trent Brown T $11.500,000 | $8.000,000 - $10.500,000 - $12.500,000 - $12.500,000 - $14.000,000 (2023)
61 Marcus Cannon T
74 Ivey, Martez, T/G, Florida
75 Ted Karras G $1.700,000 | $1.400,000 - $1.600,000 - $2.000,000
69 Shaq Mason G
63 Burkett, Jesse, C, Stanford
62 Joe Thuney G $7.000,000 | $5.000,000 - $ 6.500,000 - $ 7.500,000 - $ 7.500,000 - $ 8.500,000 (2023)
76 Isaiah Wynn T

Defensive Linemen

90 Malcom Brown DT $3.500,000 | $3.000,000 - $3.500,000 - $4.000,000 (2021)
70 Adam Butler DT
94 Adrian Clayborn* DE ($2.000,000)
98 Trey Flowers DE $15.500,000 | $10.000,000 - $13.500,000 - $15.500,000 - $16.500,000 - $18.500,000 - $19.000,000 (2024)
96 Ferguson, Jaylon, DE, Louisiana Tech
93 Lawrence Guy DT
95 Jones, DreMont, DT, Ohio State
71 Jelks, Jalen, DE/OLB, Oregon
91 Deatrich Wise Jr. DE

Linebackers
51 Ja'Whaun Bentley MLB
50 Walker, DAndre, OLB, Georgia OLB
54 Dont'a Hightower OLB ($2.000,000)
52 Elandon Roberts MLB
53 Kyle Van Noy* OLB

Defensive backs

23 Patrick Chung SS
35 Obi Melifonwu* SS
24 Stephon Gilmore CB
21 Duron Harmon FS
27 J. C. Jackson CB
31 Jonathan Jones* CB $2.000,000
32 Devin McCourty FS ($3.500,000) | $ 8.500,000 (2020)
30 Jason McCourty CB $5.00,000 | $5.000,000 - $ 6.000,000 (2020)
25 Duke Dawson CB

ST

6 Bailey, Jake, P, Stanford P
49 Joe Cardona LS
3 Blankenship, Rodrigo, K, Georgia K
18 Matthew Slater*
36 Brandon King*
Should be noted that Josh Gordon is a RFA. At least per Spotrac.

Also I thought Hill was a FA this year?

We might be able to find a replacement for Flowers for a better value than the $12-15M AAV that Flowers will require. I agree that we need to sign a top DE.

This isn't a large shopping list. We need to sign a top DE and draft a DT.

Should be noted that Josh Gordon is a RFA. At least per Spotrac.

Also I thought Hill was a FA this year?

He is, that's 2019 roster lol.

The Rams are 32nd in the NFL in run D (opposing YPC) despite paying their 3 interior DL close to $50 million a year (Donald, Suh & Brockers).

I want the run D fixed just like everyone else but I’m not sure a non penetrating DT is worth a first round investment. I doubt you’ll find a great run stuffer that can rush the passer at DT in the 20s as well. Williams & Oliver are likely going top 5.

Also, when teams do try to fix their run D, their pass D can suffer sizeably - the Lions defensive metrics since acquiring the best run stuffing NT in the NFL Damon Harrison. The goal IMO should be to have a decent/mediocre run D with an elite pass defense. Definitely need to improve where it is now.

1) IMO, Gilmore is our best defensive player.

2) Do you think that Flowers should be in the discussion for Defensive Player Of The Year? he should be if he were indeed one the top players at his position. Top DE's have that kind of impact.
It's close between Gilly and Flowers.

I would say Mack is hands down DPOY.

The Rams are 32nd in the NFL in run D (opposing YPC) despite paying their 3 interior DL close to $50 million a year (Donald, Suh & Brockers).

I want the run D fixed just like everyone else but I’m not sure a non penetrating DT is worth a first round investment. I doubt you’ll find a great run stuffer that can rush the passer at DT in the 20s as well. Williams & Oliver are likely going top 5.

Also, when teams do try to fix their run D, their pass D can suffer sizeably - the Lions defensive metrics since acquiring the best run stuffing NT in the NFL Damon Harrison. The goal IMO should be to have a decent/mediocre run D with an elite pass defense. Definitely need to improve where it is now.
This is where I'm at w Lawrence. No matter how you slice hes still 330+ & had injuries.

I think he's around after RD1 tbh.

Every year someone falls out of the lottery that has no business falling & we have enough picks to go after them this year.

Between need, players I see available, Thompson is the perfect guy.

Safe pick w a lot of upside. Fills a big need & brings a ton of speed & playmaking ability.

Earl Thomas-like closing speed, route recognition & range. Versatile, can move around a lil bit but in a league hurting for SAF he's a godsend. Physical, no problem coming down to the line to make a play.

Maybe White? Simmons, if we're comfortable w incident? Wilson might go back?

Love Lawrence, but I think they would have to trade up for him if they wanted him. There are a TON of quality DTs in this draft that might be in our range. Derrick Brown, Davis (might be too tall), Wilkins, etc.

I am a fan of Lawrence as well but like you, think he would go much earlier.

To think one of two HS here in town had Dexter Lawrence and Bryce Love on the same team at the same time is sorta crazy...in fact they haven't lost a game since the playoffs in Love's Sr season.

We also need to look at a new slot guy as well. As Jules won’t be here for much longer..

Within the next year or two we will need replacements for almost every position on team outside of maybe corner.

Look at the roster turnover almost every year and it seems like about 20 new players hit the roster.....I don't have the numbers but it sure seems like 1/3 of the roster turns over...

I hope so.
It needs it. Obviously first and foremost we need a QB of the future.

TE we need to draft and develop or sign a guy (hopefully both) but either way they will not be close to what Gronk was.

Receiver could look almost completely different very soon. I’d assume the only two likely to be back next year are Gordon (barring any issues) and Edelman who is getting up there. Maybe Berrios can fill in for him and be ready the year after next to step in when Jules hangs it up (hopefully on his own terms). Hogan is a dead man walking and who knows about Patterson.

RB they will always filter in a new passing back every 5 years or so and other than Sony the others will age out.

They definitely need to do something at tackle. I don’t trust giving Brown a long term deal as he could become fat and happy. Obviously I think he has performed pretty well so he may price his way out of town anyways. I think Cannon may be gone soon as his cap hit jumps about 2 mill next year and he has been oft injured since he signed his deal.
The whole D-line could (should) be revamped. Shelton, Brown, Davis, and Clayborn all good (should) be gone. I would love to see Flowers re-signed but I really doubt it will happen with the spending spree every year the cap jumps. That leaves us with Guy, Butler, Rivers, and Wise (maybe Simon). I think all of those guys aside from Guy are rotational guys that really shouldn’t be playing the majority of snaps. That leaves us with a ton of holes to fill on a defensive line that struggles to consistently rush the passer and stop the run already.
Linebacker is probably the position that need athleticism added more than any other. Hightower is solid but cannot run that well at this point and usually gets banged up a few games a year. Van Noy is a good all around LB who is no Kuchely but is solid. Bentley looked more athletic than I assumed he would be (I thought he would be Brandon Spikes) and looked promising early on but still isn’t a sideline to sideline guy. Maybe we go after a hybrid LB/safety like Deon Buchanan or maybe there is some slim chance Obi Melafanwu can fill be that in time. Bill has seemed to lust over that hybrid player in that spot all the way from Don Davis to Tank Williams and Jamie Collins. Regardless that would give us a sideline to sideline presence on the crossing routes and RB’s in the flat that seem to hurt us since the dawn of time.

Corner might be the one spot I think we are solid at considering Jackson continues his development and we re-sign Jason McCourty. As far as safety goes that’s a different story. I think both starting safeties May be gone within the next year and it wouldn’t surprise me if one is a surprise trade/cut in the offseason. They’re bother getting up there and while still solid may fit Bill’s a year too early than too late philosophy. That would leave us with Harmon and almost no one else.

In the end of the day this is a roster that may be “rebuilding” technically since there will likely be a ton of turnover. We need to get younger and faster while keeping Brady upright and stocked with enough weapons not to have him go out with a dud.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back