PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 / 2019 Celtics Open Discussion

I see the problem with irving is that he's injured quit often and when he's not he's complaining about one thing or another. The guys a primadonna.

Irving.....aka......Bronabee.........needs "load management" at age 26.
The guy needs to eat some meat, lift some weights, and STFU.

Let him go to NYC
Let him team up with Durant, another pretend leader
Let them poison Zion with their BS
Let the NY media turn on them after Xmas

Move on Danny

If Garnett was still here, he would be punching Irving square in the face. We lack leadership, plain and simple.

I will be rubbernecking tonight's potential C's implosion.
I expect Kyrie to launch 30+ shots and then a sprint to the microphone afterwards and blame the kids for their lack of worship, Bron Bron style.
If its gonna get ugly, lets make it memorable.

Drinking game: shot for every dirty look Dump in my Pants Brown gives his veteran PG leader during the game.

Not a good 1st half at all. This team is officially in trouble

the Celtics are underachieving bums. kyrie ruined that team with his me first whiny attitude. go bruins go. they always play hard.

Too many guys unhappy. Need to trade some away.

Goodbye:
Rozier
Morris
Hayward
Brown

Keep: Horford, Smart, Tatum, Irving.

i would let Irving go someplace else and the team would look totally different IMO

i would let Irving go someplace else and the team would look totally different IMO
This team is an embarrassment, i can't watch it any longer, or even care anymore. With the level of talent the celtics have they should be Much better than this. Instead we have these piss poor performances. Imo they should let irving walk and let rozier take over. From what ive seen so far tatum spent to much time with Bryant this summer, he doesn't seem like the player he was last year, taking all kinds of low pct shots. Hayward has turned out to be a bust so far, i know he had a terrible injury, but its been well over a year and he still isn't the player he was suppose to be. In general the NBA has fallen so far i don't know if i can ever watch it. In todays NBA players chose whos going to win the championship, you have labron get his buddies to sign with miami, then cleveland and now LA. A team like the celtics can build a team through trades and fa signings over years only to see a player like labron or stef curry manipulate the system. Its all bull sht.

Too many guys unhappy. Need to trade some away.

Goodbye:
Rozier
Morris
Hayward
Brown.

Keep: Horford, Smart, Tatum, Irving.
goodbye
kyrie
brown.
keep
smart
tatum
horford

I think Hayward will be fine once Kyrie is gone.

Last edited:
Good game so far against Portland. Theis offers absolutely nothing and the inability to rebound by anyone one on the Celtics is frustrating to watch. Better effort tonight in the first half at least

Good game so far against Portland. Theis offers absolutely nothing and the inability to rebound by anyone one on the Celtics is frustrating to watch. Better effort tonight in the first half at least

They're down 12...

Start Baynes bench Morris. Horford does best as a PF. Celtics are getting out rebounded.

Disconnected thoughts....per usual

Ainge has compiled a finesse team that opts for jump shots.
Ainge drafts players with limited outside shot skills with the hope these high draft pick assets develop a consistent NBA 3 while on the job.

After much thought, I have concluded that the Hayward Situation is the catalyst for all Boston's woes this year.
Problem #1.......a $30 mill layout must yield a substantial benefit on the court. The yield is infintessimal.
Problem #2.......Gifting Hayward unproductive minutes at the expense of rising stars has created resentment
Problem #3........Signed through 2022 at $30 mill per year, Hayward owns one of the C's coveted max salary slots all NBA rising stars desire. In other words, the writing is on the wall for the Celts young ones, you do not have a future in Boston if Trader Danny gets his way.
4) Then there's the trade rumor mill that has been in overdrive for the past few months and will continue for the next half year. Minds are cluttered with noise.
5) Factor another outside force that infiltrates a player' minds.....the skeevy Agent.
What do you think Tatum's, Brown's, Rozier's agents were saying to their clients after last year's playoffs and all summer..."You're gonna be a max player next contract because you have proven you are a star on the biggest stage."
And then 2/3s of these players become 2nd teamers.
Why did Tatum mention: I'd have no problem getting traded to NO and being the big fish? .....Fastest path to that max contract with least resistance.

Big picture: Haywards guaranteed max salary spot and sucky skill set will present the biggest obstacle for Ainge and his quest to build an NBA champion. The C's are damaged goods because of this long term black hole. The team needs a medical miracle by playoff time or Ainge will find his summer unproductive as Kyrie and his besties move on to teams with more flexibility.
-----------
Morris has cooled off in his contract year and he has become chatty during the Celtics struggle....not taking any ownership for his role during this downturn. And is it too much of a stretch to assume Morris' Clutch Sports agent has an agenda that includes making Boston appear as a disfunctional franchise to be avoided. Morris seems to now be a minor participant in the bigger game being played by Bron Brons' surrogate agent.

Then there is The Brad. In past seasons, we marveled at Stevens ability to create plays in his huddles and for his team to execute them, often leading to lay ups. In all honesty, I can't recall one Brad designed play that led to an easy bucket this year.
Stevens offense is beyond predictable:
1) Weave until click runs down then heave....aka....Weave 'n Heave
2) One man iso
3) Drive and kick out
4) Two man game, usuall Kyrie and Al.
There have been far too few slash to the hoop easy buckets, etc. The Celts offense is stale....and without bonafide NBA shooters with consistent shots.....the offense can't be counted on. Their 6 point output in the first 7 minutes of last night's game was certainly entertaining.

Now for some pettiness.
Two nights in a row Kyrie has demonstrated some leadership: long discussions with Tatum on the bench vs Toronto and last nights full blown cheerleading demonstration.
Am I being too cynical to suggest it is all an act?
Did Kyrie's agent plant this seed? "Not all your national press is flattering these days regarding your ability to lead.....give them something."
But alas....though I didn't witness it...I read Kyrie made some demonstration of team dissatisfaction in the latter portion of the game.
Frustration or true colors....or both?
----------------
At the end of the day, when the C's lose, it is usually because the other team is sinking 3's at a ridiculous rate while the C's can't find the rim from long distance.
Ainge had the foresight to trade for a legit sniper, Ray Allen, years ago. But in this launch happy NBA, Ainge seems content to draft works in progress for a game plan that demands accurate shooters.

FUCT.

Comments:

a.) When it rains, it pours. Four in a row....and the next 3 are WIZ, HOU, and @GS.....

b.) I am not a HUGE Kyrie fan right now.....but the fact remains that he is still our best player and the closer. We still have him for 20 more games plus play-offs at least and should use him.

c.) I seriously hope Ainge doesn't trade Tatum for AD in the off-season....please don't.

d.) Hayward will get there...he's too good to not to. I just think he needs minutes....he should be a MAX player performance-wise next year. His broken ankle was gruesome and it was a long recovery process....

e.) Despite all of our troubles...we are ONLY 3 games out of the #3 seed. We need to grab the #3 seed to host Brooklyn in round 1....then go to Toronto in round 2 while Philly/Embiid take a shot vs. the Bucks/Giannis. It is remotely possible that we could still have home court for the EC Finals.

f.) As someone above alluded in this thread....we usually lose when the other team is shooting a ridiculous percentage from downtown....for example the Raptors were at 50% from downtown before missing a few in garbage time to end up with 48% from downtown.

g.) The Celts need to work on their perimeter defense more and close out shooters better when the opponent runs a pick/roll or drives/dishes. And on the offensive end, they need to pass the ball maybe 1-2 more times to find mismatches.

h.) In a 7 game series, this team is still a TOUGH out. No longer will teams be able to beat us in a single game then move on. They will have to deal with us adjusting from game to game....in a way it might be good to not have home court so we can drop 1-2 games on the road before adjusting to the opponent and dominating.

i.) The talent is there, the coaching is there, and the effort could be better. We still have 20 games to fix it...and grab the #3 seed.

Two nights in a row Kyrie has demonstrated some leadership: long discussions with Tatum on the bench vs Toronto and last nights full blown cheerleading demonstration.
Am I being too cynical to suggest it is all an act?
No you're not, because it is.

h.) In a 7 game series, this team is still a TOUGH out. No longer will teams be able to beat us in a single game then move on. They will have to deal with us adjusting from game to game...
If by "TOUGH out" you mean dropping 4/5 to whomever of TOR/MIL/PHI they face in the 2nd round, then you are correct.

Comments:

a.) When it rains, it pours. Four in a row....and the next 3 are WIZ, HOU, and @GS.....

b.) I am not a HUGE Kyrie fan right now.....but the fact remains that he is still our best player and the closer. We still have him for 20 more games plus play-offs at least and should use him.

c.) I seriously hope Ainge doesn't trade Tatum for AD in the off-season....please don't.

d.) Hayward will get there...he's too good to not to. I just think he needs minutes....he should be a MAX player performance-wise next year. His broken ankle was gruesome and it was a long recovery process....

e.) Despite all of our troubles...we are ONLY 3 games out of the #3 seed. We need to grab the #3 seed to host Brooklyn in round 1....then go to Toronto in round 2 while Philly/Embiid take a shot vs. the Bucks/Giannis. It is remotely possible that we could still have home court for the EC Finals.

f.) As someone above alluded in this thread....we usually lose when the other team is shooting a ridiculous percentage from downtown....for example the Raptors were at 50% from downtown before missing a few in garbage time to end up with 48% from downtown.

g.) The Celts need to work on their perimeter defense more and close out shooters better when the opponent runs a pick/roll or drives/dishes. And on the offensive end, they need to pass the ball maybe 1-2 more times to find mismatches.

h.) In a 7 game series, this team is still a TOUGH out. No longer will teams be able to beat us in a single game then move on. They will have to deal with us adjusting from game to game....in a way it might be good to not have home court so we can drop 1-2 games on the road before adjusting to the opponent and dominating.

i.) The talent is there, the coaching is there, and the effort could be better. We still have 20 games to fix it...and grab the #3 seed.
b) Shouldn't a "closer" close?
d) Hayward gets plenty of minutes, and the opponents take advantage of this
e) Only 3 games back? It was one game back just a blink of an eye a go. Indy just wins. Celts just lose
f) Celts lose even when opponents can't find the bucket (portland)
g) Agree the perimeter D is atrocious, partly because Celts scheme is designed to cover for their weakest defenders, Kyrie, Tatum, Hayward, who get blown by at will.
h) What leads you to believe the C's are a tough out in long series. They are a finesse jump shot team reliant on average shooters who must exceed their norm. They are terrible on the road and home hasn't been a fortress.
Love the faith though

OT....Celts current lottery slots.....14, 18,21,52

In my "kick 'em when their down" series:

Can't imagine paying hundreds of dollars for tickets to watch teams launch endless 3's at a combined 27%
This new NBA is mostly unwatchable
Celts destroyed by offensive rebounds again. Boxing out is so 80's.
The Baynesless C's are soft
"Closer" Kyrie given the last shot in the 2nd qtr........clanker

On the positive: the C's beat an undermanned bad team at home despite coughing up sizable leads multiple times.
Mopey Brown drove to the hoop with authority and received encouragement from teammates all night. Strange times indeed.

That being said....after their recent home loss to a tired west coast Portland team, Boston is now 2-9 vs Top 8 western conference teams....and they head west for more abuse.

The good news: despite being entrenched at #5 in the East, western conference teams can pass Boston in the win column making the C's own draft pick better. Currently 22....but with sights on 20. Yeah

b) Shouldn't a "closer" close?
d) Hayward gets plenty of minutes, and the opponents take advantage of this
e) Only 3 games back? It was one game back just a blink of an eye a go. Indy just wins. Celts just lose
f) Celts lose even when opponents can't find the bucket (portland)
g) Agree the perimeter D is atrocious, partly because Celts scheme is designed to cover for their weakest defenders, Kyrie, Tatum, Hayward, who get blown by at will.
h) What leads you to believe the C's are a tough out in long series. They are a finesse jump shot team reliant on average shooters who must exceed their norm. They are terrible on the road and home hasn't been a fortress.
Love the faith though

OT....Celts current lottery slots.....14, 18,21,52

b.) Kyrie will close when he needs to.

d.) Yep, Hayward is getting a lot of minutes for a 6th man...I'd guess about 30 a game. That's why I said he should be OK next year...but he's still a very useful 6th man.

e.) We snapped our losing streak...now a BIG week with HOU, @GS, and @Lakers with me in attendance! We remain 3 behind...but Philly plays GS today. Indiana can't keep it going. The key here is to AVOID Philly in round 1....if we can do that...we can handle Indiana/Brooklyn in a 7 game series. So, either us or Philly has to finish #3 to make it happen...both are 2 and 3 games back with 19 or so to play. Still in play....

f.) That's like my point...a lot of weird fluky losses. We just need consistency.

g.) No argument there, but Tatum could be better...he has the length.

h.) Because they can adjust from game to game. The 2nd unit in particular is a huge advantage for us. When rotations tighten to 8 men, it comes to adjustments. We have more talent 8 deep than any other team in the EC, IMO. I mean we have Brown and Hayward coming off the bench...Rozier is due for a big pay day...and I absolutely love Theis' game. Baynes playing later will help a lot too, IMO.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back