PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 / 2019 Celtics Open Discussion

Mopey Brown rebutted chatty Kyrie's finger pointing at the kids by saying..."the problem is not from the bottom up but from the top down".
From my lofty perch, I interpret Mopey's words as: "The max cap guys are holding this team back"
I say this believing most NBA players view the top of roster in terms of salary more than stats or minutes.
Using this logic, Mopey has point.
2/3's of Boston's max cap players suck....yet consume about $50 mill in cap space.
Hayward is a shell...no further explanation really need. He consumes cap space. minutes, and is more liability than asset.
Max Contract Al has always been one of the most overpaid players in the league with stat lines ....11 pts/6 rebounds/4 assists.... that resemble NBA journeymen instead of max contract stars. This year, Al is Gronkonian.....physically breaking down and aging before our very eyes.
Combined 22 pts / game....$50 mill in 2018-19

The team is certainly overrated when healthy but the lack of objective examination by lazy mediots who embrace "soundbites" instead of honest presentation of current roster limitations: Sucky Hayward, sucky/injured Al, injured back up center, missed games by other Celts.
The mediots fawned over the C's when they managed wins over garbage teams at home, then blame "words" for road losses by an ailing roster.
Insufferable

Brown and Rozier deserve blame for on court inconsistency/sucktitude.....and Tatum too at times......but Mopey is right....the C's biggest issues are definitely at the top of the salary pole.

And don't get me started on Irving airing out his frustrations via the media. That's horse-bleep

Speaking of Max Contract 11/6/4 Al.......his 2019-20 $30 mill player option (33 yrs old) is fast approaching and deserves discussion.
Will Al be confident enough to opt out and seek a new long term contract?
Will other NBA teams open up the vault for his 11/6/4 and aging/breaking body?
Does Boston want him to opt in?
Will Boston extend him?
Opt in and trade? Sign and trade? (I don't know the rules if this is allowed anymore)
Can Al be replaced on the open market (not talking about AD type trades)?

My opinion: Al works for Boston but I don't see Al ever being good enough to be part of a championship team.

Last edited:
Mopey Brown rebutted chatty Kyrie's finger pointing at the kids by saying..."the problem is not from the bottom up but from the top down".
From my lofty perch, I interpret Mopey's words as: "The max cap guys are holding this team back"
I say this believing most NBA players view the top of roster in terms of salary more than stats or minutes.
Using this logic, Mopey has point.
2/3's of Boston's max cap players suck....yet consume about $50 mill in cap space.
Hayward is a shell...no further explanation really need. He consumes cap space. minutes, and is more liability than asset.
Max Contract Al has always been one of the most overpaid players in the league with stat lines ....11 pts/6 rebounds/4 assists.... that resemble NBA journeymen instead of max contract stars. This year, Al is Gronkonian.....physically breaking down and aging before our very eyes.
Combined 22 pts / game....$50 mill in 2018-19

The team is certainly overrated when healthy but the lack of objective examination by lazy mediots who embrace "soundbites" instead of honest presentation of current roster limitations: Sucky Hayward, sucky/injured Al, injured back up center, missed games by other Celts.
The mediots fawned over the C's when they managed wins over garbage teams at home, then blame "words" for road losses by an ailing roster.
Insufferable

Brown and Rozier deserve blame for on court inconsistency/sucktitude.....and Tatum too at times......but Mopey is right....the C's biggest issues are definitely at the top of the salary pole.

And don't get me started on Irving airing out his frustrations via the media. That's horse-bleep

Speaking of Max Contract 11/6/4 Al.......his 2019-20 $30 mill player option (33 yrs old) is fast approaching and deserves discussion.
Will Al be confident enough to opt out and seek a new long term contract?
Will other NBA teams open up the vault for his 11/6/4 and aging/breaking body?
Does Boston want him to opt in?
Will Boston extend him?
Opt in and trade? Sign and trade? (I don't know the rules if this is allowed anymore)
Can Al be replaced on the open market (not talking about AD type trades)?

My opinion: Al works for Boston but I don't see Al ever being good enough to be part of a championship team.

How about Boston's bench vs Miami's bench in their last two games.....with the C's 2nd stringers getting outscored by something like 100-40.
I'm convinced Rozier is purposely trying to throw games :)
Mopey Brown moveing at half speed in a fog.
If Hayward misses his first shot, he goes into defer mode
The Aussie Sniper is the only engaged 2nd stringer.
This group is a mess and The Brad has failed to blend what many would could consider one of the league's most talented benches. Their offense is disjointed and their defensive effort is substandard

Max Al has had a nice 4 game upswing, scoring +6 compared to his season's average. Being the glass half empty fan that I am, I need to point out how Max AL turns the ball over every time he gets the ball in the paint and tries to dribble. It's uncanny.

Memphis's #1 pick (1-8 protected) ain't happening this year unless multiple ping pong balls knock the Grizz from #6 (currently) to #9. Rumor mill has Memphis dumping stars which should cement their draft position inside the top 8.
Delaying this C #1 is a good thing...hopefully.
1-6 protected next year
No restrictions attached in '20-'21

C's stories coming:
Max Al's contract situation this offseason: FA but with 1 year player option to stay.
Kyrie: Will he be a man of his word and resign with Boston. He might have to call Bron again for advice :)
Losing Morris this off season: the C's most consistent starter/shooter/veteran presence

Game to get excited about: Golden State coming to Boston Saturday night.
Kyrie vs Curry...should be electric
Mopey might snap out of it in this end to end type game. He's shined before vs GS.
Boogie presents a problem for Boston because the C's will be deterred from driving to the hoop.....Expect a launch party (record breaking?)

Lots of gossip surrounding the C's...
Anthony Davis wants LA
C's would still consider a one year AD rental
Kyrie considering reuniting with Daddy
Hayward the weak link (duh)

Then there's the bizaare reality: Mopey Brown plays at his best when Kyrie sits

Some soap opera: As the C's Turn

ya, lots of ******** surrounding the Celtics. **** Kyrie! If he wants to play second fiddle to LeBron, then go ahead...just proves he is not a leader. IMO they play better with him out of the line up. Hayward's recovery was going to take a while so im not surprised he is not performing this year. That kind of injury takes a while to heal physically and mentally. He is still a good player for this club.

Again, Kyrie can go **** off

ya, lots of ******** surrounding the Celtics. **** Kyrie! If he wants to play second fiddle to LeBron, then go ahead...just proves he is not a leader. IMO they play better with him out of the line up. Hayward's recovery was going to take a while so im not surprised he is not performing this year. That kind of injury takes a while to heal physically and mentally. He is still a good player for this club.

I don't believe for a minute the Kyrie to LA rumor....a feeble attempt to connect dots based on innocent phone call to Papa Bron 2 weeks ago. Mediots just trying to get clicks....successfully.
I'm not all in on Kyrie either. I just don't see how NBA teams with serious championship ambition can rely on a point guard to be their leading scorer. The guy is a fantastic scorer but not necessarily a creator for his team. His D effort has improved but still nothing special. And I wonder how his slight build will hold up during the duration of his future contract.
His leadership is unique. Clearly he cares but lacks true leadership skills.

Moving on to Tatum....and my quest to find fault in every Celtic....I love the the kid's offensive arsenal and his eagerness to be the man....but I am seeing seeing disturbing similarities to a certain NBA player which frightens me.
Carmelo Anthony.
All O, No D
Last night, Tatum dropped 13 in the 1st....awesome.
At the same time, the Hornets were driving past him for layups at will.
Tatum is a bean pole still growing into his body, so hopefully he can become more athletic and develop better lateral movement. Carmelo never did

In today's NBA....does D even matter anyways?
As great as it was watching Golden State burst onto the scene with their dynamic aerial assault 4 or 5 years ago, now that every NBA team has embraced this style......it's a crap product. The league resembles the old run and gun Denver Nuggets which is not good.

at this point I'm not sure I want the Celtics to sign him. i think they are better off without him. he ruins the culture. trade Kyrie now. and keep Rozier.

at this point I'm not sure I want the Celtics to sign him. i think they are better off without him. he ruins the culture. trade Kyrie now. and keep Rozier.
What could Boston gain by trading Irving now?
Trading him to a current contender would net unappealing #1 draft picks.
Trading him to a garbage team like the Knicks would net the best return but...either way....Boston would essentially be throwing in the towel on 2018-19 at a time when the team is playing better and has a good chance to be the #3 seed at the end of the regular season.
I doubt Celtics ownership wants to keep kicking the can down the road.

Love this time of year....one giant poker game with wild cards scattered throughout the deck.

If Ainge determines in the next week that Irving is wavering on a new C's contract ....would an Irving to the Knicks for Dennis Smith, Deandre Jordan, and the Knicks #1 (for starters) work for both teams?
C's get a young competent PG signed for another year.
C's get 3 months of a monster rebounder whose salary offsets Irving's
C's could get a very high lottery pick.
Knicks get their franchise player early, someone they can use as bait to get Durant and/or others
Are Knicks secure enough to wait and gamble on Irving until summer? Forego a potential #1 pick? Maybe
This trade doesn't make Boston better now, but gives the C's a fighting chance in the playoffs. Their biggest issue would be "Who is Boston's go-to-scorer in crunch time?" Tatum?
Heads would explode in Greenie Land
Being someone who finds the business of basketball more interesting than this new jump shot NBA... Let's do this!

PS...I mentioned tankathon.com in an earlier post. Just an awesome site for NBA draft junkees.
Up to date draft order, mocks, college player ratings, and highlight videos of the top college players. (For all sports)
Just watched some Zion Williamson clips...only 6'7" but this guy is everything Mopey Brown isn't. The question will be how his size + game will translate vs bigger NBA players.
I'm in.

Last edited:
I'm torn on Irving ..... I think he's Isiah Thomas with how he doesn't really elevate the other players on the floor. I think the young guys are more assertive when he's not out there.

I'm also torn about this whole AD thing........I like him as a player, but I don't see the value of trading "no ceiling in sight" players to get him and I don't think he makes anyone else on the floor any better either.

I don't think these '5-centric' teams realize that much overall success. I'd like to see some depth in the frontcourt .... maybe Enes Kanter will get bought out by the Knicks

Kyrie on his Celts future..."I don't owe anybody ****"
but
"Boston's still at the head of that race"

Only a half year to go...unless Danny dumps and deals
Do it! Mhhhh! Miss it! Nhhhh! Noonan!

Kyrie on his Celts future..."I don't owe anybody ****"
but
"Boston's still at the head of that race"

Only a half year to go...unless Danny dumps and deals
Do it! Mhhhh! Miss it! Nhhhh! Noonan!

I thought he was just annoyed with the question.......he can't do anything until July 1

and if that doesn't work out, in Danny I trust......Rozier is restricted so we have him for at least 1 more year if Irving is gone.....

Last edited:
the Celtics overachieve without kyme and underachieve with him. he needs to stop trying to teach the kids anything. and just stfu and play.

So ADs dad doesn’t want him playing for the Cs because of the lack of loyalty Ainge showed to Thomas. How about Davis’ loyalty to the Pelicans?

Time to move on from this idiot...let him go to LA. Cs can find their big somewhere else. And if Kyrie goes, there are others that will provide talent at that price.

So ADs dad doesn’t want him playing for the Cs because of the lack of loyalty Ainge showed to Thomas. How about Davis’ loyalty to the Pelicans?
I think that excuse is just for public consumption. The dad simply wants him to go to LA because...it's LA.

I think that excuse is just for public consumption. The dad simply wants him to go to LA because...it's LA.
I love when Mommy and/or Daddy launch themselves into public discussions concerning their star athlete sons. Nothing sheds clearer light on the mental makeup of an athlete than when parents take ownership of their adult child's life. Few leaders evolve from these parent dominated relationships.
Best case in point....The Ball Family. Lonzo only knows subservience.

Regarding Anthony Davis' Daddy...He criticizes the Celtics lack of Tiny Thomas loyalty at the same time his son + his son's agent are trying to bust out of New Orleans. Loyalty is a one way street to Daddy Davis. It's not as if the Pelicans aren't offering a $200 mill extension.
Question: I constantly read/hear that AD is a great player but never have I heard AD is a great leader. Is he?
Should we be surprised AD seeks another Daddy figure ....aka Bron Bron.....to take charge of his next career phase.

All that being said, if I was a rich single athlete with career destination control, I would be on the next private jet to LA and would instruct my stock broker to buy all the Trojan stock he could. Wilt's record would be in jeopardy
Just sayin

Last edited:
next move should be after the deadline.........go get enes the menace once the knicks buy him out

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back