PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Training Camp - Day 4 (7/30/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you, maineman. I'm not disagreeing with you, but this is one of those things that is easier in theory than in practice. I think the Pats have been trying to accomplish this very thing for years, and it's hard. Finding guys who can consistently push the pocket can prove to be just as difficult and rare as a Von Miller type on the edge. They felt they had it with Haynesworth, but he was a sad sack of sh*t. Malcolm Brown showed some of it his rookie season but not so much last season. Really, the best thing today is to have four guys who can all bring a unique skill set to get to the passer. The Giants of 2007 are a really good example. But that's probably the hardest of all to do.

I think the Pats have a unique mix in the front seven and I don't know if we'll see the same struggles to generate pressure. The secondary is also going to be very very good, and that will help too. High may be used more on the edge, but he is so good rushing that A-Gap. I expect a lot of movement pre-snap and disguising. The D will be very good.

Haha it's funny isn't it. The D will be very good. We are basically discussing how good or the possible weakness of a very strong unit which happens to compliment an elite offense.

This is Jerry Seinfeld and his man handed model episode.

I've watched a lot of his last season film. He can stretch the field and he has good hands. But, from the film I've seen so far, he can get occasionally stuffed at the line of scrimmage which I expect will improve this season. But even if that stays the same he is still a speedy threat that can score from anywhere on the field which still should, imo, force the defense to adjust for him and that alone frees up Edelman and crew to do their stuff.

So he may not light up the field every game but because he's on the field someone will.

That's my really novice opinion btw.

Side note: Having Edelman on the field should help him too. It will definitely be fun to watch.

And all of this without even mentioning Gronk.........having him back and HEALTHY is kind of a big deal as well. You can pretty much pencil in a guy being on Gronk simply because he is who he is. But his presence will free up someone else to eat.

Every single times I see Cooks running a route . . . it just gets me so hyped. I can't wait to see this man when the games count.

I just wanna see a preseason game. Yeah they don't mean anything but I just want to see him wear the navy blue uniform. I'm superficial like that.

Anybody interested about the practice?

1. The new guy they signed is actually interesting . K.J. Maye . WR/punt returner
First line of his draft profile: “Will not be outworked in practice. “

Bottom line says: “Maye might be short, but he's not small. With a compact build and above average play strength for his size, he isn’t easily pushed around within his routes or before the catch. Maye has two traits that teams like in slot corners -- an ability to uncover quickly and a hyper-competitive demeanor.“
__

Some reporters are getting a bit worried for DA and MM still not practicing. Of course they are paid to be worried (or to make other people worried) but it is certainly strange they are missing practice if they are good to go - and seems less like just practice management

Last edited:

1. The new guy they signed is actually interesting . K.J. Maye

Bottom line says: “Maye might be short, but he's not small. With a compact build and above average play strength for his size, he isn’t easily pushed around within his routes or before the catch. Maye has two traits that teams like in slot corners -- an ability to uncover quickly and a hyper-competitive demeanor.“
__

Some reporters are getting a bit worried for DA and MM still not practicing. Of course they are paid to be worried (or to make other people worried) but it is certainly strange they are missing practice if they are good to go - and seems less like just practice management

I thought that Mitchell participated in the first two, non-contact days, didn't he?

1. The new guy they signed is actually interesting . K.J. Maye

__

They fretted over DA and MM last year in camp and that had a happy ending

Observational leftovers #4 . from the practice clearly overshadowed (and somewhat influenced by) Ninko's farewell..:

O

-- Julian Edelman: Sometimes, it's easy to overlook, but Edelman was impressive on more than a few occasions Sunday. That included one sequence where he put a nifty series of moves on Malcolm Butler in a one-on-one passing drill to come away with an impressive reception.

-- After getting blown up by Roberts on one goal line chance, Bolden followed his fullback Develin into the end zone for the score on another opportunity. Lewis knifed into the end zone on one of his chances. It looked like Foster lost control of the ball momentarily on a goal line run. Burkhead got stuffed by the defensive front.

-- Ted Karras getting a great seal of Kony Ealy to spring Dion Lewis for a touchdown. Douglas and Karras pancaked Butler and Hamilton, respectively, on back-to-back plays.

-- Rookie LT Anthony Garcia pancaked Kyle Van Noy during one-on-ones.

-- Cam Fleming: Was the No. 1 dud yesterday because of his terrible one-on-one performances, so give the big fella some love for going 2-0 today. Fleming and Andrews bounced back from tough first days very well.

-- C James Ferentz: Shifted from left guard to center today and had a rough time. Had a poor snap, got knocked on his rear during a running drill, and whiffed blocking Elandon Roberts and Trevor Bates on another snap.

-- There was an interesting role reversal in the early pre-practice exchanges with the quarterbacks and centers. Brady actually got down and snapped the ball to Ferentz, seemingly showing the backup exactly how he wanted the ball thrust upward/rotated on the snap. Brady probably snapped it to Ferentz a half dozen times quickly to get the offseason newcomer up to speed. There is no detail that Brady leaves up to chance or potential failure.
/I guess we have another back-up center . TB adding to his versatility after including FB last season . maybe another “quick-reaction“ to cover the loss on Ninko: TB the long snapper/

D

-- DT Lawrence Guy
continues to show that he can hold the point of attack and get penetration when needed. He’s a handful to block.

-- Elandon Roberts (mostly) and Patrick Chung busted through the right side of the Patriots’ line to take down Brandon Bolden for a loss in a goal-line drill. Roberts shot through the left side of the defense like a missile to tackle veteran back Brandon Bolden well shy of the end zone. It was an impressive play for the second-year thumper

-- Shea McClellin, Kyle Van Noy and rookie Harvey Langi all spent time with the edge rushers during one-on-ones. Geneo Grissom, in the meantime, moved back to linebacker. As is expected, they will all play a role when it comes to replacing Rob Ninkovich's role in the defense.

-- Harvey Langi continues to show the ability to play both inside and outside at linebacker, with many of the latter reps coming in a pass rush role.

--Belichick spent a few minutes with 1-on-1 instruction with undrafted rookie linebacker Brooks Ellis in pre-practice action. The coach seemed to be instructing the Arkansas product on his coverage drops.

-- Rookie edge defender Deatrich Wise Jr. looked good during one-on-one battles.
Wise, who is opening eyes, put TE James O’Shaughnessy on the ground during edge-sealing drills.

-- Late in practice the Patriots used a heavier front with Vincent Valentine at nose tackle, with Lawrence Guy to his left and Malcom Brown to his right. The look included Roberts and David Harris at linebacker over the guards.
/zero chance anybody runs through this formation; not to mention Branch/

-- Ealy and Grissom stayed out late at the far end of the field to get some extra work in with the one-man sled.
/maybe the Kraft talk helped../

ST

--During some early position group segments there was a group of core special teamers working together that included Jason Thompson, Nate Ebner, Matthew Slater, O’Shaughnessy, Joe Cardona, Jordan Richards, Brandon King and Jacob Hollister with special teams coach Joe Judge.

-- Derek Rivers looked good as a blocker on the punt return team where he showed the ability to not only lock onto the coverage player but also to recover and regain contact after separation.
___

INJURY ALERT ??
DE Derek Rivers: The rookie didn't get any snaps in one-on-ones. Must be an injury. He didn't get any reps either.
/contradicts to the other report/

-- Dwayne Allen seemed to get a little shaken up late in practice. The tight end went to a trainer for some extra stretching, possibly on his lower back. He then skipped the tight end group’s suicide sprints late in the day and walked a bit gingerly afterwards.

Observational leftovers #4 . from the practice clearly overshadowed (and somewhat influenced by) Ninko's farewell..:

O

-- Julian Edelman: Sometimes, it's easy to overlook, but Edelman was impressive on more than a few occasions Sunday. That included one sequence where he put a nifty series of moves on Malcolm Butler in a one-on-one passing drill to come away with an impressive reception.

-- After getting blown up by Roberts on one goal line chance, Bolden followed his fullback Develin into the end zone for the score on another opportunity. Lewis knifed into the end zone on one of his chances. It looked like Foster lost control of the ball momentarily on a goal line run. Burkhead got stuffed by the defensive front.

-- Ted Karras getting a great seal of Kony Ealy to spring Dion Lewis for a touchdown. Douglas and Karras pancaked Butler and Hamilton, respectively, on back-to-back plays.

-- Rookie LT Anthony Garcia pancaked Kyle Van Noy during one-on-ones.

-- Cam Fleming: Was the No. 1 dud yesterday because of his terrible one-on-one performances, so give the big fella some love for going 2-0 today. Fleming and Andrews bounced back from tough first days very well.

-- C James Ferentz: Shifted from left guard to center today and had a rough time. Had a poor snap, got knocked on his rear during a running drill, and whiffed blocking Elandon Roberts and Trevor Bates on another snap.

-- There was an interesting role reversal in the early pre-practice exchanges with the quarterbacks and centers. Brady actually got down and snapped the ball to Ferentz, seemingly showing the backup exactly how he wanted the ball thrust upward/rotated on the snap. Brady probably snapped it to Ferentz a half dozen times quickly to get the offseason newcomer up to speed. There is no detail that Brady leaves up to chance or potential failure.
/I guess we have another back-up center . TB adding to his versatility after including FB last season . maybe another “quick-reaction“ to cover the loss on Ninko: TB the long snapper/

D

-- DT Lawrence Guy
continues to show that he can hold the point of attack and get penetration when needed. He’s a handful to block.

-- Elandon Roberts (mostly) and Patrick Chung busted through the right side of the Patriots’ line to take down Brandon Bolden for a loss in a goal-line drill. Roberts shot through the left side of the defense like a missile to tackle veteran back Brandon Bolden well shy of the end zone. It was an impressive play for the second-year thumper

-- Shea McClellin, Kyle Van Noy and rookie Harvey Langi all spent time with the edge rushers during one-on-ones. Geneo Grissom, in the meantime, moved back to linebacker. As is expected, they will all play a role when it comes to replacing Rob Ninkovich's role in the defense.

-- Harvey Langi continues to show the ability to play both inside and outside at linebacker, with many of the latter reps coming in a pass rush role.

--Belichick spent a few minutes with 1-on-1 instruction with undrafted rookie linebacker Brooks Ellis in pre-practice action. The coach seemed to be instructing the Arkansas product on his coverage drops.

-- Rookie edge defender Deatrich Wise Jr. looked good during one-on-one battles.
Wise, who is opening eyes, put TE James O’Shaughnessy on the ground during edge-sealing drills.

-- Late in practice the Patriots used a heavier front with Vincent Valentine at nose tackle, with Lawrence Guy to his left and Malcom Brown to his right. The look included Roberts and David Harris at linebacker over the guards.
/zero chance anybody runs through this formation; not to mention Branch/

-- Ealy and Grissom stayed out late at the far end of the field to get some extra work in with the one-man sled.
/maybe the Kraft talk helped../

ST

--During some early position group segments there was a group of core special teamers working together that included Jason Thompson, Nate Ebner, Matthew Slater, O’Shaughnessy, Joe Cardona, Jordan Richards, Brandon King and Jacob Hollister with special teams coach Joe Judge.

-- Derek Rivers looked good as a blocker on the punt return team where he showed the ability to not only lock onto the coverage player but also to recover and regain contact after separation.
___

INJURY ALERT ??
DE Derek Rivers: The rookie didn't get any snaps in one-on-ones. Must be an injury. He didn't get any reps either.
/contradicts to the other report/

-- Dwayne Allen seemed to get a little shaken up late in practice. The tight end went to a trainer for some extra stretching, possibly on his lower back. He then skipped the tight end group’s suicide sprints late in the day and walked a bit gingerly afterwards.

Thank you, LD. You keep mentioning stuff that I don't read anywhere else, so this is valuable stuff.

I'm looking forward to know more about our Pass-Rushers, as I feel they could be the biggest problem for the Season, since Ninko retired andI haven't read as much about Flowers as I'd hope so far.

Thank you, LD. You keep mentioning stuff that I don't read anywhere else, so this is valuable stuff.

I'm looking forward to know more about our Pass-Rushers, as I feel they could be the biggest problem for the Season, since Ninko retired andI haven't read as much about Flowers as I'd hope so far.

thanks

flowers is usually mentioned in the tweets earlier. i concentrate on compiling observations that were not mentioned here before or have added context. i must admit i tend to leave out the “locks“ not to make the posts even longer.

so don't worry Flowers rocks . also Guy . Wise is turning heads (+ breaking records on penalty laps - speed wise)

but its not always easy vs very well glued OL . with reports of Thuney's and Mason's significant improvement and Cannon's excellence..

Grissom doesn't look improved to me for the moment unfortunately and Rivers is getting some mixed, somewhat contradictory reports..

/TB adding to his versatility after including FB last season . maybe another “quick-reaction“ to cover the loss on Ninko: TB the long snapper/

Ah, good, that's taken care of. :)

In all seriousness, though, does anybody else on the roster have any long snapping experience at all? Nink was a nice luxury that way. (Centers generally don't long snap; the post-snap responsibilities on punts and kickoffs require some decent mobility.)

a heavier front with Vincent Valentine at nose tackle, with Lawrence Guy to his left and Malcom Brown to his right.

Mighty Morphin' Power Patriots. A lot of indicators that there's the personnel to go back to a more 3-4 like base look this year. Obviously the "real" base is the big nickel/3-safety nowadays anyway, but with the last couple days practices some indicators that the old 3-4 could be more in vogue for the team this year.

In all seriousness, though, does anybody else on the roster have any long snapping experience at all? Nink was a nice luxury that way. (Centers generally don't long snap; the post-snap responsibilities on punts and kickoffs require some decent mobility.)
When Cardona missed the first two days, I wonder who snapped? I am sure that BB has it covered, 2 or 3 times over. Likely a LB, TE, or safety.

I'd be more concerned if Reiss didnt write the exact opposite about Dola just recently (see Second day of camp might have been hint of plans with Danny Amendola).

They returned to practice on Saturday and Sunday just as Reiss expected even though they were working on a separate field and not with the team. For now I don't think there is any smoke there at all. Not only is it clever to not push them to avoid injuries but this also means more reps for rookies/udfas & co.

I believe they will actually take it seriously especially w Cardona's army status. (IIRC there was a talk army might call him for some duties during the season last yr) Will be interesting to monitor. Hopefully somebody reports it..

So what's on tap for Today??

So what's on tap for Today??

Rest!

ANNOUNCED PRACTICES OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
  • August 1 - Morning Practice (9:15AM)

• August 2 - Morning Practice (9:15AM)

• August 3 - Morning Practice (9:15AM)

• August 7 - Joint practice with the Jacksonville Jaguars (time TBD).

• August 8 - Joint practice with the Jacksonville Jaguars (time TBD).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST