PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 . Trade Deadline . thread

Because Jack Kent Cooke of the Redskins used to stash a whole second team on IR to hold on to players. The restrictions were a response to that.

OTOH, loosening things up a bit now might help elevate the quality of play around the league.

Was this latest injury a re-occurrence of a college injury?
He tore his ACL in college. I think he had other injury issues as well. From a pre-draft scouting report:

Mitchell is a lean, slippery athlete with alot of upside as a possession WR who can give you a little extra after the catch. He probably goes a round higher if he hadn't had the injuries he endured in college, including an ACL. Brady will like his route running ability.

Some trade ideas: (some cap and roster maneuvers may be necessary)

1) TE Dwayne Allen to Washington for WR Terrelle Pryor. Neither have done squat for their teams. Allen would be insurance for Reed, who’s always hurt, and Pryor would be Hogan insurance and a good WR red zone target, especially since the Pats have been struggling in the red zone. Pats had him in for a visit before he signed with Cleveland and had some big seasons.

2) 3rd round pick to Seattle for TE Jimmy Graham. A much better TE than Allen, and another tough red zone match up. Rumor is he’s on the trade block.

PFT's Mike Florio reports the Colts are "willing to move" T.Y. Hilton ahead of Tuesday's 4 PM ET trade deadline.

Some trade ideas: (some cap and roster maneuvers may be necessary)

1) TE Dwayne Allen to Washington for WR Terrelle Pryor. Neither have done squat for their teams. Allen would be insurance for Reed, who’s always hurt, and Pryor would be Hogan insurance and a good WR red zone target, especially since the Pats have been struggling in the red zone. Pats had him in for a visit before he signed with Cleveland and had some big seasons.

2) 3rd round pick to Seattle for TE Jimmy Graham. A much better TE than Allen, and another tough red zone match up. Rumor is he’s on the trade block.
A 4th + Allen to Seattle for Graham might be better. The Pats couldn't afford Graham's remaining salary without getting rid of Allen. I genuinely think Allen can produce for another team. Just not a fit on the Pats.

Hilton or Bryant would fix what ails you.
Is it true Calvin Johnson was in Philly meeting with execs.
That offense with Johnson and Jeffrey would be scary as hell.

The Bye week is a good time to bring in some new talent at skill positions.
Gives them a extra week to give them some plays and acclimate them to the team.

After watching Allen play for us this year, I can't imagine any team giving up more than a bag of donuts for him. ;);)
Depends on the donuts.

I rarely eat donuts but a glaze, jelly donut with raspberry preserves and a whip creme filling is heaven on Earth. That's worth more than Allen.

If it's one of those Dunkin Donuts crap in a box specials the Pats might need to throw in a 1st rounder

Because Jack Kent Cooke of the Redskins used to stash a whole second team on IR to hold on to players. The restrictions were a response to that.

That was before free agency and the salary cap. Along with players having to be on the original 53 to be activated during the season would alleviate any stashing fears.

Color me cynical but the owners don't want want roster flexibility because it makes it easier to coax players into taking one for the team and play with injuries.

I'm not sure trading for a WR is going to help, unless Hogan is done for the year.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back