PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NFL Draft, Day Two Game-Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biggest hands in the draft. A mountain of a TE. Solid blocker. Legit RZ threat. Still raw. Improving as receiver. Great upside. Starred in Shrine game.

But I can't really talk you into him bc I have reservations myself. Doesn't come across as a smart/mature guy/player.. Just have more reservations w Sprinkle..

Im intrigued by Pharoah Brown, Croom and some other udfas so I wouldn't mind if they don't go TE on Day 3.

My first love is Kittle, from before he was on any board. Now he's pricy, might not make it to 131. But he is the purest example of a football player and if he comes in it will be just too much.

The guy with most upside as a #1 TE to me is Leggett. I don't have reservations re his inconsistency/attitude . since the whole coaching staff reportedly met him at Combine so they know. He would have a chance for greatness in NE . if he passed the test.

Am down with any of the three TEs. Personally -- like you -- I'd like Kittle. But wouldn't be disappointed with Sprinkle or Leggett either. Hope we stay away from Butt because I am not a fan of his injury situation.

I have to hand it to Kyle Shanahan. I think they got the best QB in this draft. Beathard has all of the things that are harder to scout for. He makes quick decisions with good anticipation, keeps a good base with his footwork, moves around the pocket effectively, adjusts his throwing angle when necessary, adjusts his throwing power when necessary (aka touch), very quick release, makes tough throws into coverage (not stupid ones, but tough ones; he doesn't have a huge interception rate). And for the big three, he has decent arm strength (you can see him throw 60-65 on one play without being out of control), good accuracy, and good mobility.

Last edited:
I think the Pats did very well for not having any picks until the 3rd. Rivers and Garcia have 1st round potential.

Here's how I'd rank the best drafts so far. These are the only teams where I feel confident with every selection. Note: I'm adding up all of the talent that each team selected, not grading their selections according to which draft picks they had. In other words, there is bias towards teams that had more picks and earlier picks. However, if a team had, say, 5 draft picks and made only 2 good choices, while another team had only 2 draft picks but made 2 good choices, I'm putting the team with 2 draft picks ahead of the team with 5.

1. Ravens
2. Seahawks
3. 49ers
4. Titans
5. Raiders
6. Patriots

I think I'm most shocked with the Ravens draft. Like, how did they get away with drafting 4 premier players at arguably the most premier spots on defense? Williams and Bowser are both close to 1st round talents as pass rushers. Wormley is a great talent for a 3 to 5 technique. Humphrey was my #1 corner. Just a great draft by them so far.

The Seahawks didn't necessarily get a lot of stars, but I think they got a lot of decent players who fit their system well and some very well could become stars. Every one of those guys should make the team next year. That's 6 young players with potential, and regardless of the fact that they had 6 early picks to do it, that's impressive.

The 49ers got 4 solid players too. I thought Foster was amazing on tape, but I would be concerned with his intelligence, character, and injury question marks. I didn't think Thomas was worth the early pick, but he'll at least be a good player. Might have more of a Chris Long career. Witherspoon was a nice steal for them, and as I mentioned Beathard looks great.

The Titans got potentially 3 starters to catch passes from Mariota. Davis was undoubtedly the best WR in the draft. Taylor was fairly high on my board for late round WRs, but I didn't think he'd go so early. Smith at TE was someone who I've liked all along. I place huge importance on blocking ability at TE, and Smith is a fantastic blocker for his size. Of course, he's also a great athlete with good catching ability. I never watched much of Jackson, but I presume he's a good talent at CB.

The Raiders got 3 guys that I liked, although naturally, they chose someone with serious question marks (Conley). Melifonwu could be the biggest steal of the draft, the guy everyone looks back on and can't believe they didn't see it (a la JJ Watt). Vanderdoes was a DT that I've been pimping for a while, so I liked that pick too.

I think the Saints blundered pretty hard. They had so many picks, and so many of them are meh...

I think the Browns made some mistakes that will cost them for a long time. Kizer won't develop. Garrett won't be the greatest since sliced bread. Peppers will suck in coverage. Njoku might have a hard time separating. Sure, I get that they all have some nice measurables and special traits, but they all have questions in my mind.

Last edited:
I think the Browns made some mistakes that will cost them for a long time. Kizer won't develop. Garrett won't be the greatest since sliced bread. Peppers will suck in coverage. Njoku might have a hard time separating. Sure, I get that they all have some nice measurables and special traits, but they all have questions in my mind.

If you find questions about Garrett then you will find questions about anyone in the draft. In the end anyone drafted at any spot can bust. It remains a crapshoot.

Personally, I liked their draft except for Peppers. But maybe they find a place for him on the field where his weaknesses will be minimized and strengths will be amplified.

Don't know much about garcia, thought they would go with Davenport.

Well, that was a success, just bill being Bill.

I think the Pats did very well for not having any picks until the 3rd. Rivers and Garcia have 1st round potential.

Here's how I'd rank the best drafts so far. These are the only teams where I feel confident with every selection. Note: I'm adding up all of the talent that each team selected, not grading their selections according to which draft picks they had. In other words, there is bias towards teams that had more picks and earlier picks. However, if a team had, say, 5 draft picks and made only 2 good choices, while another team had only 2 draft picks but made 2 good choices, I'm putting the team with 2 draft picks ahead of the team with 5.

1. Ravens
2. Seahawks
3. 49ers
4. Titans
5. Raiders
6. Patriots

I think I'm most shocked with the Ravens draft. Like, how did they get away with drafting 4 premier players at arguably the most premier spots on defense? Williams and Bowser are both close to 1st round talents as pass rushers. Wormley is a great talent for a 3 to 5 technique. Humphrey was my #1 corner. Just a great draft by them so far.

The Seahawks didn't necessarily get a lot of stars, but I think they got a lot of decent players who fit their system well and some very well could become stars. Every one of those guys should make the team next year. That's 6 young players with potential, and regardless of the fact that they had 6 early picks to do it, that's impressive.

The 49ers got 4 solid players too. I thought Foster was amazing on tape, but I would be concerned with his intelligence, character, and injury question marks. I didn't think Thomas was worth the early pick, but he'll at least be a good player. Might have more of a Chris Long career. Witherspoon was a nice steal for them, and as I mentioned Beathard looks great.

The Titans got potentially 3 starters to catch passes from Mariota. Davis was undoubtedly the best WR in the draft. Taylor was fairly high on my board for late round WRs, but I didn't think he'd go so early. Smith at TE was someone who I've liked all along. I place huge importance on blocking ability at TE, and Smith is a fantastic blocker for his size. Of course, he's also a great athlete with good catching ability. I never watched much of Jackson, but I presume he's a good talent at CB.

The Raiders got 3 guys that I liked, although naturally, they chose someone with serious question marks (Conley). Melifonwu could be the biggest steal of the draft, the guy everyone looks back on and can't believe they didn't see it (a la JJ Watt). Vanderdoes was a DT that I've been pimping for a while, so I liked that pick too.

I think the Saints blundered pretty hard. They had so many picks, and so many of them are meh...

Pittsburgh has done pretty well, filling needs at LB and CB, then adding 2 more very explosive weapons with the WR Schuster-Smith pick plus RB James Connor.

Reiss on a roll.. shortlisted both picks as fits.

Here a nice write up on both Rivers and Garcia:
New England Patriots' 2017 draft picks: Analysis for every selection
___

quote:

Given how often the Patriots are in sub-packages (as much as 80 percent of the snaps in some years), and how the Patriots adopted a four-man rotation at the end of last season, Rivers has the chance to be an immediate contributor. At the least, because of how well he runs (4.63 in the 40-yard dash), he should factor into the special-teams mix from Day 1.

BB: He’s been in a good program. Coach Pelini has been an NFL coach, been a Division I head coach [at Nebraska]. They were in a championship game there at Youngstown. He does a great job. Visiting with Derek [Rivers] last week, or two weeks ago -- whenever it was when he was in here -- he’s obviously been in a good program. He’s been well-coached
-

In a conference call with reporters late Friday night, Garcia described his style of play this way: “Physical, athletic and just nasty.” One of the questions some scouts had with Garcia was with his ability to keep weight on, but he said he is comfortable anywhere between 300-315 pounds.

1. Ravens
2. Seahawks
3. 49ers
4. Titans
5. Raiders
6. Patriots

Great post except Raiders in the top 5.

You don't burn a 1st rounder on a player who might be going to jail for rape.

Great post except Raiders in the top 5.

You don't burn a 1st rounder on a player who might be going to jail for rape.

All evidence leading up to draft day says the woman was lying.

All evidence leading up to draft day says the woman was lying.
I have heard the same. The question isn't his quality as a person. It's he still has legal issues to deal with that can easily go either way. There were a # of quality CBs that they could have been taken at that point but instead they took one facing legal trouble. Not smart risk mgt for an expensive pick

Last edited:
Both of these guys have shorter than ideal arms. Not to rain on anyone's parade.

Dawkins from pitt would have preferred him over garcia. No run blocking prowess for garcia. Hard time keeping weight up. Is athletic though.
It is important to keep in mind college coaches only have these guys for 2 hours a day.

They really only focus on pass or run blocking, Im not saying they ignore one or the other, but they have to pick one they focus on

Reiss on a roll.. shortlisted both picks as fits.

Here a nice write up on both Rivers and Garcia:
New England Patriots' 2017 draft picks: Analysis for every selection
___

quote:

Given how often the Patriots are in sub-packages (as much as 80 percent of the snaps in some years), and how the Patriots adopted a four-man rotation at the end of last season, Rivers has the chance to be an immediate contributor. At the least, because of how well he runs (4.63 in the 40-yard dash), he should factor into the special-teams mix from Day 1.

BB: He’s been in a good program. Coach Pelini has been an NFL coach, been a Division I head coach [at Nebraska]. They were in a championship game there at Youngstown. He does a great job. Visiting with Derek [Rivers] last week, or two weeks ago -- whenever it was when he was in here -- he’s obviously been in a good program. He’s been well-coached
-

In a conference call with reporters late Friday night, Garcia described his style of play this way: “Physical, athletic and just nasty.” One of the questions some scouts had with Garcia was with his ability to keep weight on, but he said he is comfortable anywhere between 300-315 pounds.

He knows his stuff very well. He even called the KGH pick last year. Wonder if that's just him learning to project the Pats very well or some inside connection.

So Cooks with the #32

Ealy to move from 64-72

Rivers with a third

Garcia with a 3rd and #124

Allen and a #6th with a 4th

Gillislee with the AJ Derby pick from Denver

And one more decent pick at #131 plus two late picks and UDFA to go.

The Draft itself was anticlimactic but that's exceptional use of their draft capitol. Love filling it out with the edge rusher and the OT. This team is absolutely loaded for 2017. And Belichick is never done.

There's always next time for O-line .. i guess

Really sucks losing #124, but considering how spiteful the clause, about the Pats losing their highest 4th round pick was, BB was all over the 4th round moving up, down, sideways, and inside out with 4th round picks, maybe just to tweak Goodell.

**** the NFL* anyway.

Really sucks losing #124, but considering how spiteful the clause, about the Pats losing their highest 4th round pick was, BB was all over the 4th round moving up, down, sideways, and inside out with 4th round picks, maybe just to tweak Goodell.

**** the NFL* anyway.
I think the way Belichick has managed the last two off seasons, as well as the drafts has essentially given both middle fingers to Goodell. They have won two of the last three Super Bowls yet they are young and the best team in the league, and heavily favored to win this SB, and would be favored to win the next two of the oddsmakers went that far out.

Remember, the best FU to Roger Goodell and the 30 ( the Saints get a pass) is Tom Brady hoisting Lombardi after Lombardi over his head just after the booooooooooos have drowned out Goodell. Hopefully this season will give them their second 3 out of 4 run of Lombardi's, and position them to win 3 in a row.

I want Belichick and Brady to bury this league historically so that no franchise will ever be able to match this run of success. They are already well on their way, but they could pile it up over the next four years so that no franchise will ever catch them. This, more than anything else is why I want Brady to be right about how much longer he really has, and I fully believe he is 100% right about it. If Brady maintains this level of play for the next four season there will end up being one record book for the Patriots and another for the rest of the league to play with. This team is going to end up with its own wing at Canton.

I like the Garcia pick, because as someone who doesn't really follow college football very closely, I always like when they trade up for a guy because it shows it's somebody they really want as opposed to someone who they're maybe settling for.

It's like draft shorthand for dummies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back