PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NE FA market & targets

1.8M 2017 + 5th year option in 2018.
I wonder:
You bring him in for last cheap year. If he doesn't become a Patriot you trade him like CJ and get similar value back or possible high comp pick if you don't take the option..

EDIT: Never mind. I read mid-round pick. Carry on...

I think you are on the right path here.

By itself bringing him in wouldn't be expensive at all. I think Mays talked about exactly that trade in the Combine Day 2 podcast. You are trading/swapping a first round pick for proven production which in this case even includes a decent amount of exposure during joint practices. The two years of him are at at reasonable price (~5m avg) and a definitely cheaper than grabbing a player in FA.

In fact, I am wondering if we are changing our modus operandi to go for good players still on their rookie contract and locked into cheap compensation in the light of the madness that FA will become in the future. Mays compared a 5 year deal in FA and how in most cases its structured to effectively be a 2 year deal but at a heavy ****ing premium.

Why even look at FA under this circumstances ? How much draft capital is it worth to mitigate the risk of drafting a potential bust by getting someone who has a track record and you were able to study up close ?

The main reason I am not a fan of the trade/swap in a vacuum is because the draft is so deep. If Jimmy goes as well and leaves us with a couple of picks in the top 65 then I don't have a big issue with getting Cooks.

BB's interest in finding a WR is interesting. Mike Reiss has linked Robert Woods to the Pats. Do we start talking about Godwin amd Zay Jones? Both put put very good short shuttles yesterday. Maybe if we get some extra picks from Cleveland.

With this info on Cook, and the rumor a couple of weeks ago that the Pats might be in play for Desean Jackson, seems like Bb wants speed at WR?

Is John Ross in play for us? Should we (as fans) be looking at more WR's this draft/FA?

With this info on Cook, and the rumor a couple of weeks ago that the Pats might be in play for Desean Jackson, seems like Bb wants speed at WR?

Is John Ross in play for us? Should we (as fans) be looking at more WR's this draft/FA?

After yesterday, I doubt it. The only thing that might drop him is medicals. He has had some issues in the post and is due a shoulder operation.

After yesterday, I doubt it. The only thing that might drop him is medicals. He has had some issues in the post and is due a shoulder operation.

Not even saying I want Ross at 32, but when you hear us willing to trade a first for Cooks and interest on Jackson, I mean looks like BB wants speed right?

Get the feeling this is gonna be a draft that leans toward the skill positions on offense....

I'm just praying we target a matchup nightmare like Mccaffrey or Engram!!!

Not even saying I want Ross at 32, but when you hear us willing to trade a first for Cooks and interest on Jackson, I mean looks like BB wants speed right?

Get the feeling this is gonna be a draft that leans toward the skill positions on offense....

I'm just praying we target a matchup nightmare like Mccaffrey or Engram!!!

I think we'll go EDGE in the first round but that'll depend on FA. It's not necessarily that BB is looking for speed at WR. Don't forget they were interested in DeAndre Hopkins too.

Good takes, guys.

I don't think its just about speed. Its about the future #1-2 receiver IMO and safest chain mover in this offence.

Danny is probably in his last season and he is already back-up option. Julian will be 32 next season when his contract is up. Mitchell's style of play hints on solid #2-3 WR option.

Last but not least: I know how we all love this draft class but the reality is that any young player that proved himself in NFL as consistent playmaker (and Miguel noted well that Cooks is actually younger than Mitchell) - and has two more relatively cheap years on the contract - is worth more than any prospect, at least in my mind.

If reports about the offer (1st rounder for Cooks+lower rounder) are true that could say: 1) BB too believes this draft is deep and that he can find a good prospect in lower rounds; 2) He is willing to give up high position of the pick but he is not willing to lose a pick.

Good takes, guys.

I don't think its just about speed. Its about the future #1-2 receiver IMO and safest chain mover in this offence.

Danny is probably in his last season and he is already back-up option. Julian will be 32 next season when his contract is up. Mitchell's style of play hints on solid #2-3 WR option.

Last but not least: I know how we all love this draft class but the reality is that any young player that proved himself in NFL as consistent playmaker (and Miguel noted well that Cooks is actually younger than Mitchell) - and has two more relatively cheap years on the contract - is worth more than any prospect, at least in my mind.

If reports about the offer (1st rounder for Cooks+lower rounder) are true that could say: 1) BB too believes this draft is deep and that he can find a good prospect in lower rounds; 2) He is willing to give up high position of the pick but he is not willing to lose a pick.

The problem with this is that Cook would only be under cost control for 2 years with a good chance he takes off after that unless we actually pay him good money.

While I agree that given the right circumstances I'd do the trade (Jimmy moved for more picks in top 64, maybe a 3rd/4th back from NO) I am not sure how it helps us with the intermediate future (Edelman, Dola successor) given the contract length remaining.

It would be pretty fun for those two years though. And definitely more interesting to me than the risk of picking a WR at 32.

I posted the twitter link in the Cooks thread in the main forum that said that the Pats are still negotiating with NO for Brandin Cooks.

I posted the twitter link in the Cooks thread in the main forum that said that the Pats are still negotiating with NO for Brandin Cooks.

It doesnt surpise me that the pats are looking into cooks. Hes a guy that can really change our offense, but does anyone else get the feeling that BB is helping out payton to force Tennessee or philly into trading for him? Maybe im looking to much into it though.

It doesnt surpise me that the pats are looking into cooks. Hes a guy that can really change our offense, but does anyone else get the feeling that BB is helping out payton to force Tennessee or philly into trading for him? Maybe im looking to much into it though.

If BB is thinking he can get the 12 pick, maybe he's happy to give up the 32 for Cooks and a later pick.

Ryan economy sub w safety versatility.
Colts want to bring him back though.

Darius Butler

Colts free agent CB Darius Butler mentioned that he would like to begin transitioning to safety at this point in his career.

“I’m just a football player,” Butler said, via Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star. “But to be 100 percent honest with you, I would like to transition to safety at this point in my career.

It’s interesting to hear Butler admit this right before testing the free agent market, given that cornerbacks tend to make more than safeties and there are several notable safeties available in this year. However, it probably makes sense for him to be honest and upfront with teams if he’s really committed to a position change.

The Cardinals might lose Jefferson to the Jesters & his former DC Toilet Bowles;
the tampering process has already begun there, with league approval of course.

@long distance seems like the Ringer FA podcast with Mays and Lombardi is out:

Should be good stuff from Lombardi..

Interesting.. only a 5th rounder.

I like the value, my only question would be his fit. He is similar to Lewis as a smaller shifty guy with catching capabilities. If they have concerns about Lewis returning, I wouldn't mind Gillislee as an option.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back