PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NE FA market & targets

Anybody here got good info on Mangold? Is he healthy? Did he play well when he last was healthy?

Allegedly rushed back from his ankle injury but should be OK. He hasn't allowed a sack in his past 33 games, so he still has it.

Ankle and some knee. No surgery. Wants to play. Still one of the very best if reasonably healthy.

Here the latest overview:
Nick Mangold doesn't need surgery, but Jets future still in doubt

There's a whole thread going on the main board. He can still be a rock, but he would be a risk in any case at 33.

Would rather draft a kid high like Pocic or Elflein than gamble on Mangold. My concern is not for Mangold's fit but for the development of Andrews who I believe is on the final year of his rookie deal. Bringing in Mangold essentially means giving up on Andrews, who is really cheap.

Andrew's Cap hit is $620K. The minimum we could get Mangold is $615K, and that is with no signing bonus; only minimum salary for a vet with is years of service in the NFL; taking advantage of the veteran minimum salary benefit. The numbers are essentially the same.

Been watching tape of the dt from Chicago, Washington. He might be someone that bb signs on the cheap and he becomes a decent rotational interior pass rusher for us.

There's a whole thread going on the main board. He can still be a rock, but he would be a risk in any case at 33.

That's why I asked the question here...to get some opinions from people who actually study the game. Player evals over there tend to be more like fantasy football conversations.

I think we could get two years of near pro bowl calibre play from mangold at an exceptional price.

But bb seems to be a huge Andrews fan.
Bill is indeed a huge Andrews fan, so I seriously doubt - as much as I would approve of it - that he signs Mangold, who is likely to sign with a team for whom he has a legit chance to start.

The guy I would absolutely love for Bill to sign is Stefen Wisniewski, who has starting experience at both LG & Center, positions for which we have Zero experienced backups. And he wouldn't be a budget-buster either.

Would rather draft a kid high like Pocic or Elflein than gamble on Mangold. My concern is not for Mangold's fit but for the development of Andrews who I believe is on the final year of his rookie deal. Bringing in Mangold essentially means giving up on Andrews, who is really cheap.

Andrew's Cap hit is $620K. The minimum we could get Mangold is $615K, and that is with no signing bonus; only minimum salary for a vet with is years of service in the NFL; taking advantage of the veteran minimum salary benefit. The numbers are essentially the same.

I'd flip that around and say that if you project that you can get two good years out of Mangold at a somewhat reasonable price then this is the ideal point in time to do it. While Andrews has done an admirable job and has earned Brady's trust and respect lets not pretend that he is a pro bowl/all-pro talent. He is a nice guy that excels at line calls but I don't see him getting past his physical issues. Also he is a pretty cheap cut.

My point is that we should be looking to upgrade on him anyway soon.

I'd flip that around and say that if you project that you can get two good years out of Mangold at a somewhat reasonable price then this is the ideal point in time to do it. While Andrews has done an admirable job and has earned Brady's trust and respect lets not pretend that he is a pro bowl/all-pro talent. He is a nice guy that excels at line calls but I don't see him getting past his physical issues. Also he is a pretty cheap cut.

My point is that we should be looking to upgrade on him anyway soon.

I agree. I dont think mangold should be all that expensive and if hes able to play at a decently high level like he did last year than he should be an uprgrade over andrews. I dont think theres anything in andrews game that mangold cant do. With mason and thuney getting another offseason of work in then its very easy to see mangold pulling the interior line together and making it a real strength. Plus i believe andrews is still on his rookie deal so hes not making that much and we could keep him on the bench in case of injury.

Revis will be a free agent soon. I believe he played hurt last season.

Could bb be interested at a bargain price?

He's just trash. He admits he's not the same player he once was.

The question is would you trust Revis committing himself to an entire offseason of hard work to get back into shape, the grind of training camp and through all that prep work in the regular season for a bargain price ?

There are just too many question marks for me about the entire situation. If another team feels comfortable touching that and risk getting burned good for them.

I would take him in a heartbeat for minimal veteran salary as camp body

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back