PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NE FA market & targets

If Ryan walks I was looking for some other CBs we could pick up in FA.

Leon Hall would be a great 1 year player while we see if a rookie steps up or Cyrus Jones does. If they want a longer term solution Ryan ****rell is young and could play 4-5 years

I have my eye on Hall as well. Nolan Carroll if not too pricey. Joseph could be a target again. Arrington could be available.

Maybe McCourty twins are in play at last. Wouldn't mind the Butler-Butler combo.

Lot's of options so Id expect they add at least one vet.

___
Here is Hill's list:
There are a handful of players with slot and Patriots experience that are free agents, like Darius Butler, Robert McClain, Leonard Johnson, as well as some veterans like Leon Hall and Brandon Boykin that could be a fit. Perhaps an outside player like Sterling Moore or Marcus Cooper could be valuable depth, too.

If one really wants to make a case against McClellin one has to look no further than this early SBLI play for big ATL gain.

McClellin (on the left side of picture) gets easily pushed away by Sanu (sic!) and that blows the whole line and opens a highway for Freeman. ATL played this whole year I guess, McC can feel the breath of Sanu yet completely ignores him and gets easily removed (blocking Flowers who is trying to get across). Its not only a question of football IQ but also concentration, awareness, responsibility, dependability...

No wonder he didn't play much on D after this.

Chung and Harmon overrun a little as well and Harmon then didn't have the angle for good tackle anymore. I am actually impressed by Ninko how he comes all the way from the other side and just misses the unlikely tackle..

Another great play by Butler as safety who prevents a TD (while going for the ball for TO like always) Its incredible how he overruns it as well but still manages to get back on such a fast play. He's getting paid in NE.

I agree McClellin is not the guy.

if bb trades out of #32, like I think he will, we have a chance to grab McMillan from Ohio state and Anderson from Alabama in round 2 depending on how they run. Mcmillan would sure up the linebacker position and Anderson can also rush the passer from de/olb spot.

Right now it looks like McMillan could be a 4.9 guy and fall to the seventh round. Hard to tell from the tape.

Ps: if taco or Tim Williams is there at #32, bb will pounce on them and not trade down.

Something to keep in mind..

ytBAfP2.gif

Here a nice take on 5 possible FA value targets.
5 Value Deals for the New England Patriots in Free Agency

Market values are probably underestimated but a good read nevertheless.
____

A name that's popping out recently (also by Miguel) is Cordarrelle Patterson. Not sure if he's a Pat character . but he certainly is versatile (wants to play RB as well).
-

I am most intrigued how the TE and LB positions play out. These are the only two positions where Pats are left with little leverage.

Dion Sims
(MIA, 26) would certainly be a great pick up and possible long-term solution for Pats #2 TE. His market value currently is half of Bennet's, he's young, durable, consistent, one of the best blocking TE that is coming out as receiving threat as well. Some think Miami might not be bringing him back after Julius Thomas trade, but Id guess Gase thinks differently and sees the two as perfect TE combo. Here's how he sees him:

“It’s basically what he has been all year.” Gase said. “We lost him there for a little bit with some injury, but he has been consistent. He has done a really good job run blocking. He does a really good job (in) pass protection. He has really excelled in the passing game, because he has gotten some opportunity. He hasn’t been used as just a blocker. Ever since that New England game when he caught that one ball where he was going across the field and made a great catch on third down, he showed everybody, ‘I can run. I can catch.’ There are a lot of things he can do to contribute.”

He wasn't producing much in the last game against NE but it's exactly this kind of play (from Sims' first NE game) that brought Hogan to Foxboro..

There are also other interesting options in FA like Doyle, Gresham, Luke Wilson, Ryan Griffin, possibly even Cook or Davis. Combined with deep draft class there's quite a lot to work with in case Bennett refuses Pats offer..

-

Turning to LB it's difficult to envision much without at least some clearance of Hightower situation.

Return of Akeem Ayers is a popular thought (and welcomed), but Malcolm Smith suggestion is more in the line of what this line could really use - some lateral speed and coverage. There are quite a few options out there so possibly there is a good value to be had: Kendricks, Hodges, Jenkins, Zach Brown..

The rotation of KVN-Hightower-Brown-Roberts would be among best in the league..

But of course Bill probably has a different idea with McClellin and Freeny under contract, Trevor Bates on futures and Mingo home FA ..

Last edited:
Last edited:
A little follow up on Sims:

Yet:

“He told me he wants me back as a No. 1,” Sims said, via the Miami Herald. “I want to be back. I have obviously proven myself to be a starting tight end in the league and want to continue in that role. I’ve done some great things this year and improved a lot.”
___

That attitude probably puts him out of NE conversation as well ..

Good read on Odrick from Hill.
Should Patriots be interested in former Dolphins and Jaguars DT Jared Odrick?

Seemingly not a need if Branch returns but the loss of Easley and Hicks is still there..

The problem will be the same as with Hicks (as long as Branch returns) - contract and playing time..
_____

EDIT: As was the case with so many before they came to Foxboro..

I like the player. Liked him in college, and always hated playing against him. His comments seem a bit over the top, but as long as he does his job, who cares? It sounds like he keeps himself in shape and competes hard on the field. I don't care about your politics when you're on the Patriots; it doesn't bother me when people take stands on social media or skip the White House visits. We've got room for all types as long as they're interested in winning.

I've always thought of Odrick as more of a 3-4 DE, but his numbers as a 4-3 DT
are interesting. We still absolutely need a 3-tech DT to replace Easily/Hicks. And once again, Nick Fairley will be a free agent. 3rd time's the charm?

...His comments seem a bit over the top, but as long as he does his job, who cares? It sounds like he keeps himself in shape and competes hard on the field. ...We've got room for all types as long as they're interested in winning.

Reading some of what he's said and done, I bet he and Brady would have a fascinating conversation about health and eating and readiness for NFL play. It would be a great TV program to set up...the two of them in conversation about what they believe and do.

I've always thought of Odrick as more of a 3-4 DE, but his numbers as a 4-3 DT
are interesting. We still absolutely need a 3-tech DT to replace Easily/Hicks. And once again, Nick Fairley will be a free agent. 3rd time's the charm?

Fairly was so fun to watch at Auburn. I would love to have him here.

I like a lot of players on that list; a few thoughts:

I really, really like the first 2 names. Zach Brown & Gerald Hodges are exactly what we need, and have needed, at LB for a long, long time. Even when we had Jamie Collins, coverage was never his strong suit anyway.

Christian Jones (he's up to 250 now? Didn't he play at 235 at FSU?) is Restricted, so I doubt that Bill would get into a bidding contest for him…and are his coverage abilities compromised at his higher weight? I loved him as a UDFA priority in 2104.

John Simon, Charles Johnson? Meh…William Gholston is intriguing as a Running-Down DE/Passing-Down DT.

Jared Cook might be too expensive…Jermaine Gresham is too unproductive, and his blocking is not well-regarded…and Trey Burton, my favorite of the three TEs,
is Restricted; and from what I've heard here in PA, the Eagles like him a lot.

And as long as we have White & a healthy Dion Lewis, then we shouldn't need Bennie Cunningham.

Here a nice overview of the LB FA crop . easy to see unfavorable position for Pats re Hightower..

Top 10 linebackers set to hit free agency | PFF

btw - the cite inconsistencies in coverage for Hodges ...

No Malcolm Smith, Timmons, Jenkins on the list strangely.

btw2 - Miguel is dreaming of Kiko Alonso coup (RFA). Now that would get some juices flowing here I believe..

Some thoughts of Pitta to Pats appeared before . so let's add this one here..
( fyi: it was previously suggested as trade)

Some thoughts of Pitta to Pats appeared before . so let's add this one here..
( fyi: it was previously suggested as trade)

To me it's a red flag that the Ravens might refuse to pay Pitta 5.5m. The only reason I can see is that they don't like what they know about his hip issues because 5.5m for a player like him is not expensive at all especially given how much the cap is going up.

Sounds like Captain is applying for the job at Foxboro ..

Vikings impending free agent CB Captain Munnerlyn said he wants to sign with a Super Bowl contender this offseason and expects a “decent market” as a free agent.

I’ve got to put myself in the position to try to get that Super Bowl trophy,” Munnerlyn said, via SiriusXM NFL Radio. “I’m an older guy. I’m going on year nine, so I definitely want to win. So I’m definitely going to look at the roster, the coaches, to see where I can take my talent and plug it in and try to help those guys get to the playoffs and make that Super Bowl run.”
___

During an interview on ESPN during the playoffs, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick estimated his team is in nickel or dime packages 80 percent of the time. Munnerlyn was paying close attention.

"I was like, "Yes -- that's right, Bill!'" Munnerlyn said at Vikings Winterfest in Prior Lake, Minn. on Friday. “To see Coach Belichick say that, I was pumping my fist. They are finally realizing that it’s a big position. You’re playing nickel 80 percent of the time of the game. If teams gameplan you, they might not do that; they might try to keep a linebacker out there, but this is a passing league. Everybody wants to throw the ball. Everybody wants to see the scoreboard light up so hopefully teams see that. [I'm] definitely hoping the Vikings see that because we play it a lot, I hope they value my position and value my talent and bring me back.”

btw2 - Miguel is dreaming of Kiko Alonso coup (RFA). Now that would get some juices flowing here I believe..

And for those wondering how this is possible. . . .

So his contract tolled in 2014, which means he's only accrued 3 seasons. Thus he's an RFA, not a UFA. I can't see them doing a deal if he's given a first-round tender, but I could see a second/third rounder.

Anybody here got good info on Mangold? Is he healthy? Did he play well when he last was healthy?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back