PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who seems to love the engram. I see a bigger Hernandez in him, not quite as elusive but he gets the job done well enough, but he can high point the ball with the best of them. I think if he's drafted here he could easily be one of BBs most versatile players. He can line up as a receiver with his size, hes shown he can line up as a TE and If he were to come here he wouldn't be asked to do it as much considering well have gronk and possibly Marty back next yer to take the blocking duties, and lastly he can line up in the backfield like Hernandez used to. As you can tell i love this kid as a fit for us regardless if we have Marty back here or not.

I love him. He can fill in almost any role in a pinch. Great athletic ability. Great all around player.

I'm gunna start a thread soon and his eval will be up. And from that
"Today's NFL is about being "multiple", "interchangeable". W/ injuries, schemes that demand versatility and his play making ability. Engram is a great offensive chess piece".

The Packers offense really misses a move TE. I thought they were great w/ Finley. EE would be perfect there and here.

Re Engram:

If we re-signed Marty B and Michael Floyd, would you still draft Engram? I suppose if they're one year deals because drafted receivers in this offense are borderline redshirt years anyway. But if those two re-sign, there's a lot of receiving options on this offense and not much scope to add more, even if Amendola leaves.

Re Engram:

If we re-signed Marty B and Michael Floyd, would you still draft Engram? I suppose if they're one year deals because drafted receivers in this offense are borderline redshirt years anyway. But if those two re-sign, there's a lot of receiving options on this offense and not much scope to add more, even if Amendola leaves.

I don't see it. He is basically floyds measurments and his role would be identical. We have a lot more important roles to fill with the type of resources needed to grab a guy like him.

Floyd and Bennett coming back would surprise me a bit though. I think they both fit perfectly in our system, but neither will be cheap options either.

I don't see it. He is basically floyds measurments and his role would be identical. We have a lot more important roles to fill with the type of resources needed to grab a guy like him.

Floyd and Bennett coming back would surprise me a bit though. I think they both fit perfectly in our system, but neither will be cheap options either.

I can see us signing Bennett on a long(ish) term deal. Floyd I'm less sure about. Perhaps on a 1 yr prove it deal? Don't forget, 31 teams passed on him. I'm not sure there's big money in his immediate future.

I can see us signing Bennett on a long(ish) term deal. Floyd I'm less sure about. Perhaps on a 1 yr prove it deal? Don't forget, 31 teams passed on him. I'm not sure there's big money in his immediate future.

I am never sure about character issues and how much it will matter.

I would guess he ends up back on a prove me deal, but also would be surprised if he doesn't have other offers.

Bennett is such a good fit, I would be shocked if he left, but he is a unique guy. He will surprise one way or another.

Just watched Xavier Woods. Definite excellent backup potential safety and certainly has no3/potential average starter abilities. I don't know if he has outstanding upside like a McCourty, but as a Harmon replacement? Certainly. Excellent tackler, gets his hands on the ball for fumbles, PBUs and INTs. Perhaps doesn't have the athleticism to stick with a top WR in man coverage ut has good range in center field. Late day 2/early day 3 all the way.

I like him enough that I'd rather go with a DE/DT/CB (Taco Charlton for example) in round one and take Woods in round 3 than go with Budda Baker in round 1, my previous peeferred option (would still like that pick though).

I am never sure about character issues and how much it will matter.

I would guess he ends up back on a prove me deal, but also would be surprised if he doesn't have other offers.

Bennett is such a good fit, I would be shocked if he left, but he is a unique guy. He will surprise one way or another.

Yeah. There's no sense trying to predict BB's Transaction moves, it's an impossible thing to do (see Collins, Jamie).

If Forrest Lamp is there at 64, how do you not take him? And as a future LT. having watched him, I think he's a better LT than OG anyway. But at worse, he backs up every position on the OL apart from center.

Every year, or at least the last two, the Patriots pick someone that PFF ranks higher than most (2015-Flowers, 2016-Thuney). Will Lamp be that guy this year (top rated OT this year and possibly last year too)

If Forrest Lamp is there at 64, how do you not take him? And as a future LT. having watched him, I think he's a better LT than OG anyway. But at worse, he backs up every position on the OL apart from center.

Every year, or at least the last two, the Patriots pick someone that PFF ranks higher than most (2015-Flowers, 2016-Thuney). Will Lamp be that guy this year (top rated OT this year and possibly last year too)

Who does he replace as a starter? That's my only concern. Are you projecting that we let Solder go, or do you just think that Lamp has enough value as a multi-position backup that we can't pass him up in the 2nd? I don't dislike the idea. He's a good player. I'm just curious how you see it in context of roster-building.

That would be enough value for next season, and gives some protection against solder next summer.

Beyond that, if the line cracks sometime this playoff run that leads us to a shorter than ideal outcome, I would bet money that it's David Andrews that is the weak link. If that's the case, you have lamp at LG and thuney or mason move to center. Then you have a highly mobile line at all five positions, with the the strength to hold up as well.

Lots to like with him on the roster, even if it's just protection against worst case scenarios.

Who does he replace as a starter? That's my only concern. Are you projecting that we let Solder go, or do you just think that Lamp has enough value as a multi-position backup that we can't pass him up in the 2nd? I don't dislike the idea. He's a good player. I'm just curious how you see it in context of roster-building.

Exactly what @I.M. Fletcher says. He just provides so much protection at every level. A Solder replacement if necessary, a versatile backup period (how often does our starting OL stay healthy all year), a blocking TE or as I.M. Says, allows someone to step in at OC allowing Lamp to play OG. But, having watched him against 'Bama, I think he's a potential starting LT anyway.

Two things I'd say. Firstly, he seems like such a Patriots pick as Thuney was. But secondly, BB might think we've already got him in Thuney. Still, I'd love the value of that pick at 64.

Another one of my favorites draft prospects has declared. Malachi Dupre. He was hurt by terrible QB play.

Marty B is must. He has 3 very good years left.
But if Pats win SB and Floyd contributes, some team would probably sign him longterm, so no one year deal.

I'm obviously an Engram guy but I take him w/out thinking.

With injuries, "multiple" philosophies on offense and his skill set. I'd have no problem picking him.

As Pats fans we know what injuries can do.

Engram can fill in for anyone. NFL ready as a blocker. Hes a perfect Patriot.

And again the injuries and guys getting up there in age.

What's the opinion on Tyrone Swoopes out of Texas as a late round developmental TE? He's making the switch from QB and has decent size and speed. Bill has been intrigued by QBs switching positions in the past, such as Derby and Edleman.

Another one of my favorites draft prospects has declared. Malachi Dupre. He was hurt by terrible QB play.

I am fascinated by the LSU guys. Two years ago, they were being compared to beckham and Landry, now they are 4-7th round talents?

They had zero help from their qb, and they were in a run heavy offense (similarities to OJ Howard and bama).

It's really hard to get a feel of where receivers are missing when the talent around them isn't there to make them look passable. At least Landry and beckham had mettenburger throwing it up for them.

One thing to remember when you read about OJ Howard going to 10:

No inline blocking tight end has gone before 20 since 2000, with bubba Franks at 14. Before that, you see a handful of terrible burnouts that amounted to very little.

So, I would argue the league has learned its lesson, and that any mock having Howard going that high isn't taking history seriously enough.

The other side to that coin, you could make a pretty convincing case that Howard is the best tight end prospect we have seen since Vernon Davis. Very different players and skillsets, but i am not sure which recent prospect compares favorably to Howard. He has a lot to offer at the next level, but beware of the cost associated with him. If he somehow falls to the 18-22 range, he would be a prime target for a trade up. BB has never been against using top picks at the position, and he definitely has a lot of what the Pats look for.

I am fascinated by the LSU guys. Two years ago, they were being compared to beckham and Landry, now they are 4-7th round talents?

They had zero help from their qb, and they were in a run heavy offense (similarities to OJ Howard and bama).

It's really hard to get a feel of where receivers are missing when the talent around them isn't there to make them look passable. At least Landry and beckham had mettenburger throwing it up for them.

They're physically talented, no doubt. My biggest complaint with Dupre is that for someone touted for his ability to make circus catches, he sure drops a LOT of balls. One game I watched had 4+ drops. It doesn't sit well with me when scouting receivers. Everyone drops the ball sometimes, but when it's displayed both frequently and consistently, it really puts a damper on the enthusiasm levels. I think he's talented, don't get me wrong. I'm just concerned because it seems like his hands got worse this year, not better. Is that all on the quarterback's placement? I don't know.

I have Seen Peppers dropping down a lot of boards, and some even have us possibly picking him up?

Would you like to see him in a pats shirt?

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back