PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Compensatory Picks for Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, with the Senior Bowl upon us, followed by the Pro Bowl on Sunday, I was thinking about Compensatory picks for the Pats.

Now, normally, it takes into consideration players signed prior to June 1st. Well, since Free Agency didn't start until July, that's kinda hard.

But, we can look at who the Pats signed and whether or not they are eligible for the actual compensation equation...

Shaun Ellis - No. Cut by Jets
James Ihedigbo - Maybe. Was signed after start of camp.
Niko Koutouvides - Maybe, since he was signed after the start of camp.
Brian Waters - No. Cut by Chiefs
Ricky Brown - Maybe, Signed after start of camp, but cut before end of camp.
Andre Carter - No. Cut by Redskins.
Mark Anderson - Yes. 10 Sacks is huge..
Chris Morris - Maybe, Signed after start of camp, but cut before end of camp.

All I could find in the CBA was the following:
Section 10. Compensatory Draft Selections: The rules and procedures regarding Compensatory Draft Selections previously agreed upon by the NFL and the NFLPA shall remain in effect, subsequent to any future changes as to which the parties may agree.

So, really, only the league can say whether or not there will be any compensatory picks given out.

I don't have the link at hand, but I saw one projection that had the Pats receiving no compensatory picks.

I don't think the Pats will recieve any compensation picks. Off the top of my head I can't think of any notable free agents we lost, they all seem to be cuts which obviously don't count.

So, with the Senior Bowl upon us, followed by the Pro Bowl on Sunday, I was thinking about Compensatory picks for the Pats.

Now, normally, it takes into consideration players signed prior to June 1st. Well, since Free Agency didn't start until July, that's kinda hard.

But, we can look at who the Pats signed and whether or not they are eligible for the actual compensation equation...

Shaun Ellis - No. Cut by Jets
James Ihedigbo - Maybe. Was signed after start of camp.
Niko Koutouvides - Maybe, since he was signed after the start of camp.
Brian Waters - No. Cut by Chiefs
Ricky Brown - Maybe, Signed after start of camp, but cut before end of camp.
Andre Carter - No. Cut by Redskins.
Mark Anderson - Yes. 10 Sacks is huge..
Chris Morris - Maybe, Signed after start of camp, but cut before end of camp.

All I could find in the CBA was the following:

So, really, only the league can say whether or not there will be any compensatory picks given out.

The players you list above count against the Pats. The real problem is that the Pats didn't lose anyone to free agency who signed a huge contract elsewhere. (They released a lot of players, but didn't have them "defect.")

About the only player I can think of who might earn a comp pick would be Jarrad Page.

The players you list above count against the Pats. The real problem is that the Pats didn't lose anyone to free agency who signed a huge contract elsewhere. (They released a lot of players, but didn't have them "defect.")

About the only player I can think of who might earn a comp pick would be Jarrad Page.
Nice try. Page is a wash with Ellis in their impact on the team. Anderson is the killer. There will be no comp picks for the Pats this year

Nice try. Page is a wash with Ellis in their impact on the team. Anderson is the killer. There will be no comp picks for the Pats this year

I didn't mean that in the sense of "the Pats will get a pick for him" as "the Pats could get a pick for him."

That said, you have things backwards; the primary factor is $$, with only a small adjustment for impact (e.g., a player who might have been the first comp 5 who becomes an All-Pro might knock it up to the last comp 4).

Moreover, it works on a number basis: if, for the sake of argument, the only FA transactions the Saints had were letting Brees walk and sign two JAGs at $1.5M apiece, they could not possibly get a comp pick. OTOH, a team can lose five mid-level FAs, sign one big name, and still get a bunch of comp picks.

Last edited:
That said, you have things backwards; the primary factor is $$, with only a small adjustment for impact (e.g., a player who might have been the first comp 5 who becomes an All-Pro might knock it up to the last comp 4).

This.

There will be very few comp picks this year overall - and almost certainly none for the Patriots.

I didn't mean that in the sense of "the Pats will get a pick for him" as "the Pats could get a pick for him."

Moreover, it works on a number basis: if, for the sake of argument, the only FA transactions the Saints had were letting Brees walk and sign two JAGs at $1.5M apiece, they could not possibly get a comp pick. OTOH, a team can lose five mid-level FAs, sign one big name, and still get a bunch of comp picks.
Thanks for pointing the the error of my analysis. Its a subtly I didn't know. That being said, I still don't think the Pats will get a comp pick this year. Bottom line we simply added more FAs than we loss.

Ellis was CUT by the Jets so he's not in the equation.

Ellis was CUT by the Jets so he's not in the equation.

Source?

According to the NYT, the JEST offered him a one-year vet-min deal this year after the lockout was lifted, which doesn't jibe with cutting him.

Source?

According to the NYT, the JEST offered him a one-year vet-min deal this year after the lockout was lifted, which doesn't jibe with cutting him.

I don't think they offered him a deal. It was known to him that the Jets would only accept a mim base salary.

Source?

they cut him, then made an offer

they cut him, then made an offer

That's the thing, though: if you look at the JEST web page, they have ZERO transactions involving Ellis in either 2010 or 2011. . . . so when did they cut him? [I also can't find any news articles on Google saying he was released.]

Last edited:
The NFL issues 32 comp picks every year. First they calculate how many teams are entiteled to picks and where, and once those picks are established, they hand out the remaining picks as if there were an 8th round.

Agree that the Pats will receive no comp picks this year.
Fine.

However, rather than 'off the top of my head, I can't think of any,' here is a list of players who departed:

Fred Taylor
Sammy Morris
Brandon Tate
Alge Crumpler
Mark LeVoir
Nick Kaczur
Steve Maneri
Steve Neal
Quinn Ojinnaka

Ty Warren
Tully Banta Cain
Eric Moore
Marques Murrell
Darius Butler
Terrence Wheatley
Jonathan Wilhite
Jarrad Page
James Sanders
Brandon Meriweather

Matt Katula

The vast majority were cut, some retired.
Did I miss anyone?

That's the thing, though: if you look at the JEST web page, they have ZERO transactions involving Ellis in either 2010 or 2011. . . . so when did they cut him? [I also can't find any news articles on Google saying he was released.]

They didn't cut him. His contract ran out after 2010.

comp picks?

Sorry if this has come up elsewhere

1. Are they happening this year?
2. Will the Patriots receive any?

Re: comp picks?

There will be compensatory picks but the Pats won't receive any.

Re: comp picks?

This guy seems to have done a detailed analysis, comparable to what adamjt13 used to do for so many years. After trading away so many draft picks the Raiders will be picking up several comp picks: a 3rd for Nnamdi Asomugha; a 3rd or 4th for Zach Miller; and a 4th or 5th for Robert Gallery.

As noted above the Patriots won't be receiving any compensatory picks.

The only other team in the division he projects getting any are the Jets: two 6ths and one 7th. As for other AFC playoff teams, he has the Ravens getting one 4th and the Steelers picking up two 7th rounders.

2012 Compensatory Draft Pick Predictions - Mocking The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes