PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 NFL Scouting Combine News & Notes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oregon St DT Stephen Paea just put up 225 lbs 49 times in the bench press. A new combine record. :eek:

If he somehow makes it to 17 he's worth a long look.

That won't happen after his 40 at the Combine. Now he's battling Green to be first WR off the board. Personally I think the more skill players who move up the board the better, i don't believe Belichik will go WR or RB with their first pick, add in QB and TE to that every one of those positions that move into or go top 15 moves into position the DL, OL, LB and DB prospects who they could use the #17 on. DB is alos unlikely imo but I would never count it out given Belichik's emphasis on the unit.

That won't happen after his 40 at the Combine. Now he's battling Green to be first WR off the board. Personally I think the more skill players who move up the board the better, i don't believe Belichik will go WR or RB with their first pick, add in QB and TE to that every one of those positions that move into or go top 15 moves into position the DL, OL, LB and DB prospects who they could use the #17 on. DB is alos unlikely imo but I would never count it out given Belichik's emphasis on the unit.

I agree completely. If Green goes at #4 and Jones goes at #6 (not horribly unrealistic), that opens the door for a team like the Rams reaching on WR #3 at 14 or something like that. That's be wonderful:D

I agree completely. If Green goes at #4 and Jones goes at #6 (not horribly unrealistic), that opens the door for a team like the Rams reaching on WR #3 at 14 or something like that. That's be wonderful:D

Hopefully QB's move up and take up 3 spots before the Patriots pick. I doubt any RB or TE will go off the board and actually hope DB's will move up and fill a couple more spots so there isn't a run on OL and defensive front 7 players, which early mocks and rankings had happening. we should see alot of movement in the top 50 the next 2-3 weeks and we'll have a much better idea of what is likely to go down in the first 2 rounds by mid March. There will always be late risers and fallers, e.g..Mayo, but there will be more consensus and stability in a couple of weeks.

Oregon St DT Stephen Paea just put up 225 lbs 49 times in the bench press. A new combine record. :eek:

Impressive. The DL talent in this draft isn't just strong, it's broad and varied. There's a 1st round talent of just about every description. Kind of strange, given how the draft overall is pretty weak.

Wow. Unfortunately they showed the list of the top lifters and none of those guys were gamers I recognize.

Edit: I do like paea tho for the record.

Last edited:
Impressive. The DL talent in this draft isn't just strong, it's broad and varied. There's a 1st round talent of just about every description. Kind of strange, given how the draft overall is pretty weak.

Indeed. I think between DL and OLB, we're looking at 16-17 guys going in the 1st round. I can easily see 12-13 of them going in the top 20.

I was VERY surprised by Houston's measurements. I always thought he was smaller than advertised, but clearly not. Long arms and huge hands, too.

Now I'll have to find a new excuse for my irrational dislike of him. :p

You, too? I really don't know why, but I keep getting a vibe from him that's not quite Aaron Maybin. Maybe more Larry English?

You, too? I really don't know why, but I keep getting a vibe from him that's not quite Aaron Maybin. Maybe more Larry English?

i just didn't like seeing him get dominated in pass rush drills at the combine... at least english looked like a beast in those one on one drills

I don't know, if Green slips out of the top 10 he might be worth a trade up.
(puts on flame suit)

Based on what I've seen of Arizona's QBs, it seems a very good bet that Hoyer would be their starter when he walked through the door.

Not that often that a team gets one guaranteed ProBowl starter at a position of need, much less two, for one pick, even a high one. Hoyer has as much or more chance at becoming their franchise QB as any of the QB prospects they have to select from in this draft. That alone could be worth a first rounder to them.

Throw in experienced OLB/pass rush help and maybe a later pick like the #60 (as I later amended), and I don't see it being an awful deal for the Cards at all. They have a lot of key holes to fill. They cover two of them and still have the #38, 60, 69 and 102.

I'm sorry did you just call Hoyer a guaranteed pro bowl starter at QB? o_O.
Mankins is a pro-bowl G yes, but I don't see him fetching back the #5 pick, even with the throw ins you mentioned.

What would interest me more would be offering Mankins for say Arizona's early #2 this year and a future #1. This way Zona can draft their franchise QB, maybe at #5 and strengthen their OL with Mankins for their 2nd. And teams generally undervalue future picks. Probably not gonna happen, but we can hope.

Julio Jones just exploded at the Combine. Watch for him to go top 10. St. Louis really needs a WR, they might have to move up for him.

Ingram looked pretty good. Didn't show off the chart speeds but his 10 yard split was very good at 1.53 unofficially? Wouldn't mind him with 28 or 33.

Watkins lack of athleticism drops his stock. I think we might be able to get him with Minny's 3rd or our own late 2nd now.

Oh and some team's going to fall in love with Cam Newton. If he drops towards the end of the first, look for us to trade out from #28 and get a bounty of picks in return.

Last edited:
I was VERY surprised by Houston's measurements. I always thought he was smaller than advertised, but clearly not. Long arms and huge hands, too.

Now I'll have to find a new excuse for my irrational dislike of him. :p

Who would you like to target at OLB in this draft if not Houston?

Right now he's is the most likely to be the top rated 3-4 OLB available at 17 and/or 28.

Quinn, Von Miller and Aldon Smith (please correct me if I'm wrong on this) are likely to be off the board prior to 17.

That leaves Houston, Reed, Sheard, Acho, Beal, Romeus, Moch etc to choose from.

sterling sharpe says julio jones is not a 1st rounder just as the kid unofficially runs a 4.39 :rolleyes:

Yeah, Sharpe ain't too bright...

LOVE the Sig!! :rocker:

At 6'3 270 with 10" mitts, Houston does measure out acceptably. But can he set the edge and drop back in coverage too? How does he play with his hand off the ground? That's always the question with these OLB conversion projects.

I'm sorry did you just call Hoyer a guaranteed pro bowl starter at QB? o_O.
Mankins is a pro-bowl G yes, but I don't see him fetching back the #5 pick, even with the throw ins you mentioned.

What would interest me more would be offering Mankins for say Arizona's early #2 this year and a future #1. This way Zona can draft their franchise QB, maybe at #5 and strengthen their OL with Mankins for their 2nd. And teams generally undervalue future picks. Probably not gonna happen, but we can hope.

Julio Jones just exploded at the Combine. Watch for him to go top 10. St. Louis really needs a WR, they might have to move up for him.

Ingram looked pretty good. Didn't show off the chart speeds but his 10 yard split was very good at 1.53 unofficially? Wouldn't mind him with 28 or 33.

Watkins lack of athleticism drops his stock. I think we might be able to get him with Minny's 3rd or our own late 2nd now.

Oh and some team's going to fall in love with Cam Newton. If he drops towards the end of the first, look for us to trade out from #28 and get a bounty of picks in return.

After re-reading my post, apparently I did. Wasn't intentional. Meant to say, "...much less two starters..." in adding Hoyer to that sentence. I'd fire my editor, but then I'd have to fetch my own beer.

Last edited:
At 6'3 270 with 10" mitts, Houston does measure out acceptably. But can he set the edge and drop back in coverage too? How does he play with his hand off the ground? That's always the question with these OLB conversion projects.

I'm not a fan of his what I've seen of him against the run, and at 270, it looks like there's not much room for growth there.

What happened to Titus Young and his talk of a blazing time? Unless he fell or something, he can't have helped his stock any.

Yeah, Sharpe ain't too bright...

LOVE the Sig!! :rocker:

Actually, Sharpe had a LOT of good things to say when I watched the QB and WR drills and made many really good points about what really matters in football as opposed to what people think matters, such as the hype over Colin Keapernick's speed when he actually had very little explosion coming off the snap and how Peyton Manning would probably look comical if he tried to run but that he has outstanding launch after the snap. I know which one I want on my team.

Anyway, I certainly disagree with him regarding Jones, I think he's a sure 1st round pick, but he knew his stuff on a lot of other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST