PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 NFL Scouting Combine News & Notes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Sharpe ain't too bright...

LOVE the Sig!! :rocker:

Actually, Sharpe had a LOT of good things to say when I watched the QB and WR drills and made many really good points about what really matters in football as opposed to what people think matters, such as the hype over Colin Keapernick's speed when he actually had very little explosion coming off the snap and how Peyton Manning would probably look comical if he tried to run but that he has outstanding launch after the snap. I know which one I want on my team.

Anyway, I certainly disagree with him regarding Jones, I think he's a sure 1st round pick, but he knew his stuff on a lot of other things.

Of course. No argument.

I was just ball busting on a particularly insipid comment.

I'm in a similar situation. My thoughts going into the combine were that he was too small if he wasn't a legit 6'3" and 270, and if he is that height/weight, that he's nearly maxed out against the run, and that isn't good enough.

I also remember seeing on a draft site that Houston doesn't have a great work ethic and he has a substance abuse issue that I read about on a thread on this board. He doesn't seem like a Patriot to me with his weak run defense as well. He looked like crap vs UCF in their bowl game.

I also remember seeing on a draft site that Houston doesn't have a great work ethic and he has a substance abuse issue that I read about on a thread on this board. He doesn't seem like a Patriot to me with his weak run defense as well. He looked like crap vs UCF in their bowl game.

It's been speculated that the "substance abuse" thing was pot. He's a college kid. Probably much less detrimental to his production and athleticism than booze all things considered. Work ethic concerns me as well, but not as much as the fact that he comes off as a full on ******.

Julio Jones' vertical is the highest I've seen since watching the combine. In previous years, the highest jumps have been a full 9 inches lower or less. Darius Butler had the highest jump at 10'6" one year.

Umm.. Wasn't the Butler stat his LONG JUMP, not his vertical?

What did Jones jump?

I also remember seeing on a draft site that Houston doesn't have a great work ethic and he has a substance abuse issue that I read about on a thread on this board.

It's been speculated that the "substance abuse" thing was pot.

SPLEEFER!!!

bodysnatchers1.jpg

I don't know, if Green slips out of the top 10 he might be worth a trade up.
(puts on flame suit)

If Green fell out of the top ten I wouldn't automatically be opposed to going after him, i want the best player they can get, and even though WR isn't their top priority if they can get a player like Moss or Fitzgerald in the first then go for it. Getting an All Pro quality player in the first is more important than reaching for need. There is a real possibility that they could be taking the sixth or seventh best player at defensive front seven, whereas Green or Jones would give them a top two WR, and if they loved them as prospects then i'm all for it, take the star when there and address need with subsequent picks. If there was an Adrian Peterson at RB i'd say the same thing, but that obviously doesn't mean they would do it. I'd never rule anything other than QB or Kickers out with Belichik right now, but still see it as unlikely. The question at WR for me is always smarts, as WR's who can't stay up with Brady in real time never pan out, and all the talent in the world won't matter if they have a sucky work ethic or are as dumb as a box of rocks.

Right now my preference is for defensive front seven in the first, and i'd love Watt or Jordan, but both could be gone and I never want them reaching for a player who isn't worth a high pick simply to address need.

Aldon Smith looks highly athletic and natural. The way he bends, seals, and gets flat in the drills is better than anyone there. Tremendous hips as well. Looks like a natural.

A player that opened eyes and improved his stock was Nebraska RB Roy Helu.

Most sites I've checked had him as either a 7th round pick or a FA.

Height: 6' Weight: 219 pounds

combine stats (out of RBs)

40 yard dash: 4.42 (top 5)
vertical jump: 36.5
broad jump: 9' 11"
3 cone drill: 6.67 ( 2nd best)
20 yard shuttle: 4.01 (best)
60 yard shuttle: 11.07 (best)

Big numbers for a supposed undrafted RB. He is good sized too.

Aldon Smith looks highly athletic and natural. The way he bends, seals, and gets flat in the drills is better than anyone there. Tremendous hips as well. Looks like a natural.

I haven't watched any of the combine today, but I was pretty sure he would be a riser.

Umm.. Wasn't the Butler stat his LONG JUMP, not his vertical?

What did Jones jump?

Actually, I got them confused. Jones had the longest long jump at 11'3". Butler had the highest vertical 2 years ago.

Jones' vertical was 38.5. Butler can jump several inches over that to 44.

Agreed, his movement in LB drills with that frame makes you get starry eyed. I thought he showed his rawness in some of the quick bag drills, though -- lost fundamentals and lunged a bit.

To me, I think that today solidified Kerrigan as the pick at 17 if he is there. I think he looked good enough in the LB drills to make the conversion. He was highly productive in college and seems fundamentally ahead of some other guys for the position. He uses his hands well and has a knack for finding the ball. He is not flashy, but BB has never drafted flash. Kerrigan is solid in both the run and the pass and will fit the OLB position perfectly.
Also, while most of the time I cannot stand Sharpe and he did say a few stupid things, I thought overall he did an awesome job of describing what scouts(and us) should be looking for when they run the drills. Sapp did okay in that today as well, but he too gets annoying at times.

To me, I think that today solidified Kerrigan as the pick at 17 if he is there. I think he looked good enough in the LB drills to make the conversion.

Wow, I'm really interested to hear that. I missed Kerrigan's drills, but everything I read elsewhere has said he looked very stiff and his 1st-round status was in jeopardy. Any other opinions from people who watched his LB drills?

Actually, I got them confused. Jones had the longest long jump at 11'3". Butler had the highest vertical 2 years ago.

Jones' vertical was 38.5. Butler can jump several inches over that to 44.

If only he could figure out WHEN to jump.

Wow, I'm really interested to hear that. I missed Kerrigan's drills, but everything I read elsewhere has said he looked very stiff and his 1st-round status was in jeopardy. Any other opinions from people who watched his LB drills?

I thought that the truth was somewhere in between. He didn't look like a tremendous athlete and was by no means smooth. I thought that he did well in the run drills with his knee bend and hip sink. He moved well enough going forward and was powerful enough to move well on the y axis off of his plant foot with no hops or stutters. He struggled to swivel his hips and keep his feet under him, and he was pretty stiff digging his inside shoulder and wheeling around it. I thought that he was a good enough fit at the Sam in the NE scheme and he looked appropriate for it today. Confirmed my late 2nd round grade on him in respect to scheme. In a 43, he looked the part for either end depending on scheme. Looked like a high second athletically for a 43 end. Obviously motor and awareness elevates the ultimate grade, but athletically he looked like a solid B/B-.

This defensive line class looked ridiculous today, measurements and drills. Watt, Jordan, Dareus, and Fairley all exploded. If any of them makes it to 17, take them and don't look back. Really though, it's a pretty deep class for our needs at front 7. If they're all gone, Aldon Smith and Ryan Kerrigan looked good. I'm also on the Julio Jones bandwagon. Odds are one them will still be around at our first pick, which is pretty exciting. A slight trade up, and we could get a monster.

Oh YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH, BOYEEEEEEE!!! :rocker:

I'm officially sick of the Von Miller ball-washing fest on NFL network. They've crowned his ass as the second coming of Demarcus Ware before he's played a snap in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back