PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Free Agent "Let's Sign This Guy" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Nnamdi Asomugha

Scary thing would be if the Jets pick Nnamdi up (Cromarti is a free-agent). Then, Jets would have the 2 best CBs in the NFL...

I could see that unfolding, especially after they get waxed by the Patriots next Sunday and OctoDad gets burned repeatedly on inside patterns. :D

Scary thing would be if the Jets pick Nnamdi up (Cromarti is a free-agent). Then, Jets would have the 2 best CBs in the NFL...

my first thought. Jets have a lot of free agent decisions to make this year, but going for the big guy like Nnamdi matches their MO.

my first thought. Jets have a lot of free agent decisions to make this year, but going for the big guy like Nnamdi matches their MO.
I dont think they have any chance of fitting him under the cap without fielding a team with 20 UDFAs.
Jets are either losing a lot of FAs this year, or having difficult cap problems, or both.

Because we already have two excellent starting corners, one of whom is likely to become elite.

And yeah, whatever he costs, it'll be too much.

Bodden is an excellent cornerback. Don't forget Wilhite!

Sure we do. He will be looking to be paid in excess of 16.8 million. That is what he turned down from the Raiders to void the contract. Let's say he's willing to take a 25% pay cut to play for the Pats.. They'd be looking at 12.6 million at the minimum, not to mention signing bonus and such.. Sorry, but I don't see it.

Asomugha also is a bit of a Diva. He insisted on having his own radio time and his own TV time after games.

Also, since you haven't been following much of anything, the Owners want the cap reduced by some 10-15% and possibly as much as 20%.

In a team sport like this one, teams can really only afford to pay 1 player in the double digit millions for a salary. That should be the quarterback. Paying more than one player that type of money, severally restricts how a team can put together their roster and retain their own players.

So no one has anything bad to say about him as a player. Untill we know what kind of contract he wants its all speculation and yes, for the right price he absolutely should be considered.

Bodden is a good CB not an excellent one and one who didn't play this year, Arrington was a pleasant surprise, Butler looked better the last couple of games after a wasted 2nd season and I hope you don't think having Wilhite on the roster is a reason not to pursue Asomugha. None of these players should stop the Patriots from considering NA for the right price.

You can't possibly think that NA would expect a contract in excess of $16.8 million and you need to give some more evidence than he wanted his own radio and TV time in order to call him a diva. He didn't want to play for the Raiders so he used his leverage to get what he could, including an escape clause when he would be guaranteed at least the $16.8 million.

If the owners want to reduce the cap by 10-20 % than that would apply to all teams not just the Patriots. Nobody ever said anything about paying him over 10 million.

So no one has anything bad to say about him as a player. Untill we know what kind of contract he wants its all speculation and yes, for the right price he absolutely should be considered.

Bodden is a good CB not an excellent one and one who didn't play this year, Arrington was a pleasant surprise, Butler looked better the last couple of games after a wasted 2nd season and I hope you don't think having Wilhite on the roster is a reason not to pursue Asomugha. None of these players should stop the Patriots from considering NA for the right price.

You can't possibly think that NA would expect a contract in excess of $16.8 million and you need to give some more evidence than he wanted his own radio and TV time in order to call him a diva. He didn't want to play for the Raiders so he used his leverage to get what he could, including an escape clause when he would be guaranteed at least the $16.8 million.

If the owners want to reduce the cap by 10-20 % than that would apply to all teams not just the Patriots. Nobody ever said anything about paying him over 10 million.

Uh, why would you expect anyone to say something bad about him as a player? He's an excellent cornerback; nobody is disputing that. But the odds are overwhelming that he'll want some serious coin, and likely more than the Patriots will shell out given that cornerback is not a position of need. By all means, though; perhaps we can sign Ngata and Woodley, too!!

Not worth the money.
As the line goes, we are building a team, not collecting talent

Uh, why would you expect anyone to say something bad about him as a player? He's an excellent cornerback; nobody is disputing that. But the odds are overwhelming that he'll want some serious coin, and likely more than the Patriots will shell out given that cornerback is not a position of need. By all means, though; perhaps we can sign Ngata and Woodley, too!!

If he was all about the coin, why would he choose to use an escape clause that would have guaranteed him a minimum $16.8 million for one year? Not only that but do it in a year with an unknown labor agreement. Clearly money isn't the most important factor.

Last edited:
If he was all about the coin, why would he choose to use an escape clause that would have guaranteed him a minimum $16.8 million for one year? Not only that but do it in a year with an unknown labor agreement. Clearly money isn't the most important factor.

There's a vast difference between "not being about the money" and "willing to accept a well below-market offer."

If he was all about the coin, why would he choose to use an escape clause that would have guaranteed him a minimum $16.8 million for one year? Not only that but do it in a year with an unknown labor agreement.
The labor agreement is irrelevant to his decision. If there is a lock out he wouldnt get the money whether he opted out or not.

I think you should look at this from a different perspective. I think it may help you see the history of BBs personell moves.

The quality of a player is part of the equation.
The cost of a player is part of the equation.
The Patriots sign players when the quality exceeds the cost.

They will not sign the best player, but the player who's ability exceeds his cost by the largest margin.
Moreover, the quality of the player is not determined by his career to date, but by the projection of his play during the contract.

The NFL typically pays players based upon what they HAVE DONE IN THE PAST. The 'better' the player, in perception and to the market, typically, the more experienced, older, and closer to decline the player is also.

Nnamdi will get a contract based upon his ability in the prime of his career, but that contract will extend beyond his prime. He also will get a contract based upon being considered the best cb in the NFL.

BB will sign players who are entering their prime, or who he believes are better (even just in his system) than the market perceives them to be.

This is why you see acquisitions such as Dillon and Moss. At the peak of their 'popularity' they were even better than when he acquired them, but the cost was prohibitive. As their cost decreased, even though they were no longer in their prime, their ability finally exceeded their cost.

Another way to say it is:

BB will not bring in an overrated player, no matter how good they are.
BB will bring in all of the underrated players he can get.
BB will get a correctly rated player only if necessary and only if the need is very high.

(By overrated and underrated above I mean 'rated' based on the cost of both compensation and/or contract)

Yes, the key graf being:
You actually highlighted the wrong part I think.
30 years old, and arguably the best corner in the NFL for the last 5 years.

That means he will expect, as the part you higlighted says, to be the highest paid, for the next 5?6?7? years and he will not be the best corner for the extent of that contract.
That is EXACTLY what BB will not do: pay a guy in his next contract for what he was in his last contract when clearly the decline will come in this next contract.

Just a friendly message that a certain chat room is open and waiting for people to join in.

You actually highlighted the wrong part I think.
30 years old, and arguably the best corner in the NFL for the last 5 years.

That means he will expect, as the part you higlighted says, to be the highest paid, for the next 5?6?7? years and he will not be the best corner for the extent of that contract.
That is EXACTLY what BB will not do: pay a guy in his next contract for what he was in his last contract when clearly the decline will come in this next contract.

Well, yeah. I'm just saying they won't pay him that much, period, not really getting into attendant reasons why such a signing would be unlikely.

The labor agreement is irrelevant to his decision. If there is a lock out he wouldnt get the money whether he opted out or not.

I think you should look at this from a different perspective. I think it may help you see the history of BBs personell moves.

The quality of a player is part of the equation.
The cost of a player is part of the equation.
The Patriots sign players when the quality exceeds the cost.

They will not sign the best player, but the player who's ability exceeds his cost by the largest margin.
Moreover, the quality of the player is not determined by his career to date, but by the projection of his play during the contract.

The NFL typically pays players based upon what they HAVE DONE IN THE PAST. The 'better' the player, in perception and to the market, typically, the more experienced, older, and closer to decline the player is also.

Nnamdi will get a contract based upon his ability in the prime of his career, but that contract will extend beyond his prime. He also will get a contract based upon being considered the best cb in the NFL.

BB will sign players who are entering their prime, or who he believes are better (even just in his system) than the market perceives them to be.

This is why you see acquisitions such as Dillon and Moss. At the peak of their 'popularity' they were even better than when he acquired them, but the cost was prohibitive. As their cost decreased, even though they were no longer in their prime, their ability finally exceeded their cost.

Another way to say it is:

BB will not bring in an overrated player, no matter how good they are.
BB will bring in all of the underrated players he can get.
BB will get a correctly rated player only if necessary and only if the need is very high.

(By overrated and underrated above I mean 'rated' based on the cost of both compensation and/or contract)

Agreed for the most part. But again, until we know what Nnamdi wants, still have to ask.

What if he takes $6 or $7M? That'd be around Moss's cap number this year. I agree that it's extremely unlikely he'd settle for that, but maybe he's sick of losing. Even Moss took a pay cut his first season. So I think we still need to look into it, no matter how unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes