PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 Senior Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
the only thing that worries me about Ray is his aggressive style and how that would translate in the Pats read n react style of D.
That's what was said about Junior Seau too. He did alright. If you can play and you're coachable then you can play here. Rey fits the profile physically.

I was hoping that Morestead would be an undiscovered plum to add to the Pats roster. But it appears they will have to draft him if they want him, in the late fourth or fifth....

I have no opinion on who the Pats should draft at punter, but the top two or three are usually drafted each year anyways, so this doesn't really surprise me.

Personally, I'd love to see someone with better range and control than Chris Hanson, but, for some reason, BB disagreed last year.

That's what was said about Junior Seau too. He did alright. If you can play and you're coachable then you can play here. Rey fits the profile physically.
Physically yes, my questions are mental, which I can't fairly judge from a fan forum. What I see when I watch him is a lot of speed and power, the aggression is inconsistent and seems to be reserved for when he has a clear path to the runner. He doesn't protect his feet, he doesn't fight through trash, and he rides blockers instead of shedding them. During Senior Bowl week Mayock was questioning Maualuga's 3 down status, then about 24 hours later changed his tune and sang his praises - which utterly killed me. Mayock showed a couple clips; the problem I had was when he credited Maualuga with fighting through blockers, that clip wasn't a stack and shed effort, but a guided missle ramming into the blocker from the side to knock him down in front of the runner - not a bad play, but in NE's 3-4 Maualuga isn't going to be sheltering behind a couple big butts while he get's up to ramming speed. The closest stack and shed play he made in the Senior Bowl involved him backpedaling off the block of VA Tech's OC and managing to stick a paw in to knock the ball out of Cedric Peerman's hands - poor job by Peerman.

I just don't see first round value in Maualuga for NE's 3-4 defense, slide him to the second and I'm onboard. He is a first round value for a 4-3 - he really does remind me of Ray Lewis.

I have no opinion on who the Pats should draft at punter, but the top two or three are usually drafted each year anyways, so this doesn't really surprise me.

Personally, I'd love to see someone with better range and control than Chris Hanson, but, for some reason, BB disagreed last year.
Morestead has a big leg, his touch I can't speak to. Huber looked good in the Senior Bowl. Florida State's Gano is a nice touch punter and a very good FG kicker - he'd be worth a 4th.

Thanks for the latest evaluation, BOR. While I agree that Rey will prosper in the 4-3, like Ray, I believe he'll be better than projected, if he had to play the 3-4 next to Mayo. As for a second round grade in this defense, I don't know if I would pass on him at 23.

hope Will Moore drops this far though. He can play, injuries aside.

Physically yes, my questions are mental, which I can't fairly judge from a fan forum. What I see when I watch him is a lot of speed and power, the aggression is inconsistent and seems to be reserved for when he has a clear path to the runner.

I don't think he lasts until 23 anyway but I see him as a good fit in NE, especially alongside an another athletic ILB like Mayo. Essentially you have your Bruschi type (Mayo) and a faster less physical Ted Johnson type (Megs) and hopefully your coverage (Phifer) type in Guyton.

It is hard to project college LBs into the 3-4 style the Pats play because maybe only 2 or 3 colleges play a 3-4 as their base defense. Megs could play the attack style because that is the scheme USC ran, IMO he will excel as an old school LB in any scheme he plays in.

It brings up and interesting point, if Megs is a 2 down LB and Laurinaitis is too small it goes to show you how picky we have become to find ILB talent. Both excellent college players, multiple all American selections but yet no good enough for the Patriots.

The league needs to stop using the coaching staffs from the worst teams to coach in the Senior Bowl. It just doesn't help these kids. Personally, the coaches should be from the teams who lost in the Conference Title games. At least they have shown a modicum of success.

actually, for much of his career, seau was notorious for overrunning plays

Physically yes, my questions are mental, which I can't fairly judge from a fan forum. What I see when I watch him is a lot of speed and power, the aggression is inconsistent and seems to be reserved for when he has a clear path to the runner. He doesn't protect his feet, he doesn't fight through trash, and he rides blockers instead of shedding them. During Senior Bowl week Mayock was questioning Maualuga's 3 down status, then about 24 hours later changed his tune and sang his praises - which utterly killed me. Mayock showed a couple clips; the problem I had was when he credited Maualuga with fighting through blockers, that clip wasn't a stack and shed effort, but a guided missle ramming into the blocker from the side to knock him down in front of the runner - not a bad play, but in NE's 3-4 Maualuga isn't going to be sheltering behind a couple big butts while he get's up to ramming speed. The closest stack and shed play he made in the Senior Bowl involved him backpedaling off the block of VA Tech's OC and managing to stick a paw in to knock the ball out of Cedric Peerman's hands - poor job by Peerman.

I just don't see first round value in Maualuga for NE's 3-4 defense, slide him to the second and I'm onboard. He is a first round value for a 4-3 - he really does remind me of Ray Lewis.

I'm inclined to agree, Box. The clip of Shawn Nelson blocking Rey to the ground said a lot to me. He's an aggressive, tough hitter, but he's blockable and his speed belies his inability to change direction quickly. I'm sure, much like Lofa Tatupu, he'll prosper in a 4-3. And his current backers will wonder why the Pats didn't draft him. :rolleyes:

Cushing in the first or Matthews in the second. I really liked what I saw in them in terms of technique.

The clip of Shawn Nelson blocking Rey to the ground said a lot to me. He's an aggressive, tough hitter, but he's blockable and his speed belies his inability to change direction quickly. I'm sure, much like Lofa Tatupu, he'll prosper in a 4-3. And his current backers will wonder why the Pats didn't draft him. :rolleyes:

Whatever.

I think some of his "backers" might think that,

1. It's too early to really project exactly where Maualuga might fit in to the Pats' defensive scheme,

2. Have simply seen what a beast he is now in terms of raw physical talent, and see even more potential upside, and

3. Would like to see a Patriots' D ala BB's Giants of the 90's, with 3 or 4 absolutely sick LB's reeking havoc on opposing offenses.

If there's anything we know, it's that BB will probably surprise us on draft day. But I'll be sure to bump this if BB takes Rey. ;)

Whatever.

1. It's too early to really project exactly where Maualuga might fit in to the Pats' defensive scheme,

2. Have simply seen what a beast he is now in terms of raw physical talent, and see even more potential upside, and

3. Would like to see a Patriots' D ala BB's Giants of the 90's, with 3 or 4 absolutely sick LB's reeking havoc on opposing offenses.

If there's anything we know, it's that BB will probably surprise us on draft day. But I'll be sure to bump this if BB takes Rey. ;)
Feel free, BBQ crow can be mighty tasty...

Whatever.

There's a better chance that Osama Bin Laden is hiding in my grundle than Maualuga would be a 1st round fit for this team.

Oh-ver ra-ted *clap* *clap* *clap clap clap*

Last edited:
I also do not think Rey would be a good fit for us at SILB.

I did notice a couple of players that caught my eye, that we could use.

1.) Max Unger C/OG/OT- Looked solid at C and was effective on the move.
2.) Wood C/OG - Again looked real good on the move and held up reasonably well in pass protection and as a drive blocker.
3.) Iglesias WR - He ran disciplned routes and seemed to get open on a regular basis.

None of the 3 USC LBers really looked great to me and none of the D line guys seemed to fit the 3-4.

I also do not think Rey would be a good fit for us at SILB.

I did notice a couple of players that caught my eye, that we could use.

1.) Max Unger C/OG/OT- Looked solid at C and was effective on the move.
2.) Wood C/OG - Again looked real good on the move and held up reasonably well in pass protection and as a drive blocker.
3.) Iglesias WR - He ran disciplned routes and seemed to get open on a regular basis.

None of the 3 USC LBers really looked great to me and none of the D line guys seemed to fit the 3-4.
You got three that I liked - I thought the strength of this Senior Bowl was the interior OL. Alphonso Smith also impressed.

You got three that I liked - I thought the strength of this Senior Bowl was the interior OL. Alphonso Smith also impressed.

I do not remember seeing opposing QB's throwing to CB Smith's side. Which in and of itself says a lot. However did I miss something?

I do not remember seeing opposing QB's throwing to CB Smith's side. Which in and of itself says a lot. However did I miss something?
He impressed in the practices and did jump a limp noodle in the flat that was headed for six except he had a brief bought of stone hands.

EDIT: How much of a frigging genius is BB to draft O'Connell last season?

Last edited:
He impressed in the practices and did jump a limp noodle in the flat that was headed for six except he had a brief bought of stone hands.

In practice Smith had the highlight of the week, when he intercepted a pass by tipping it to himself. And except for being out jumped a couple of times, I thought he had a great week of practice. (BB should be able to teach him techniques to solve that.)

I think drafting O'Connell shows just how well BB understands his roster.

Interesting to contemplate where a guy like that would go this year. Came from a weak program, needed time to refine his game, but...

6"5' 225 4.61, super athletic, very strong arm, 4-year captain with fabulous intangibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST