PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 Draft Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren was drafted to be a NT, but they quickly learnt that he couldn't play that role and moved to DE.

Sorry to nitpick, but this simply isn't true. Many people assumed the Patriots wanted him to be a NT because that was a need, and Ron Borges said it repeatedly to make it look like the Patriots had failed with the pick, but, in fact, Belichick said from the day he was drafted that they thought of him as an end first, and it was reported by the objective (non-Borges) media that from the first day of rookie camp Warren was lining up at LDE and not NT. Yes, like all DLs, they tried him at different spots through training camp, but LDE (backing up Bobby Hamilton that rookie year) was always where he got the most snaps.

Brace is a starter now. True, in a rotation but he is playing on a regular basis. And we know if you get a chance to play you improve. So, hold off judgments on Brace....

Sorry to nitpick, but this simply isn't true. Many people assumed the Patriots wanted him to be a NT because that was a need, and Ron Borges said it repeatedly to make it look like the Patriots had failed with the pick, but, in fact, Belichick said from the day he was drafted that they thought of him as an end first, and it was reported by the objective (non-Borges) media that from the first day of rookie camp Warren was lining up at LDE and not NT. Yes, like all DLs, they tried him at different spots through training camp, but LDE (backing up Bobby Hamilton that rookie year) was always where he got the most snaps.

Here, Here, I was waiting for someone to point this out. I was at several training camp sessions that year and NEVER saw Brace line up at NT. Whatever perceptions the so called experts had on his future position with the Pats aside. From the get go, Brace has been a DE. I don't know why this thought that he was drafted as a NT still persists....a year later.:rolleyes:

I used to be excited about this draft but now I am not so sure. Ron "Flounder" Brace does indeed a look like a disaster but now I don't know what to make of Butler. He looked good last year but lost confidence this year. He certainly has the speed but he need to work on ball skills; I certainly hope he can turn it around; I would hate to think that the Patriots made such a hash of the second round...

Hash of the second round?

Your talking about a second round that included Vollmer and Chung right?

So you definition of making a hash iiiiissss 2 starters (on a 7-2 team) and 1 guy getting alot of time rotationally on our DL

high standards much?

To be clear, Belichick traded up to #40 to secure the slowest player in the draft(and one of the heftiest) in order for him to become a starting defensive end?

To be clear, Belichick traded up to #40 to secure the slowest player in the draft(and one of the heftiest) in order for him to become a starting defensive end?
So it would seem.

Position versatility, a BB trademark. BB projects Brace as a backup NT, but quickly learns that Brace plays too high, so BB moves him to DE and has Pepper give him a crash course in technique,while the OLB plays as the a hybrid DE so Brace doesn't have to read plays or think to much.

As of right now, I think Love is the backup NT.

Failing at a position is not called "position versatility". If Belichick wanted a backup NT, he failed as he did when he drafted Kareem Brown. That is one version of reality. The other is that Belichick wanted Brace as a DE. For my taste, #40 is awefully high for NT convert to DE.

With regard to the current backup NT, I believe that Warren is the backup NT. But we'll see, perhaps Love will develop. Certainly, Belichick is investing a valuable roster position to develop Love.

Position versatility, a BB trademark. BB projects Brace as a backup NT, but quickly learns that Brace plays too high, so BB moves him to DE and has Pepper give him a crash course in technique,while the OLB plays as the a hybrid DE so Brace doesn't have to read plays or think to much.

Brace may eventually get better in the interior leverage game and pick up NT as an option, at the moment I see the NT depth chart at it's deepest since I've been retired and following the team more closely:

Wilfork, Wright, G. Warren, and Love have all looked decent at NT when they've been plugged in there. Then there's Pryor, whom I give a mixed grade.
-- I expect Love is Coach Woicik's sculptor's clay for this season, he should be more interesting to watch in the next Training Camp.
-- Wright has been and continues to be a serviceable reserve NT.
-- G. Warren is a pleasant surprise adjusting to NE's scheme, I hope he can continue here for another couple seasons before becoming a gentleman of leisure.
-- Pryor is a pretty good passing down NT, but he doesn't eat up the blockers the way Wright and Warren do, of course none of them are on par with Wilfork.

At the moment, NE is quietly getting stronger up the middle.

Brace may eventually get better in the interior leverage game and pick up NT as an option, at the moment I see the NT depth chart at it's deepest since I've been retired and following the team more closely:

Wilfork, Wright, G. Warren, and Love have all looked decent at NT when they've been plugged in there. Then there's Pryor, whom I give a mixed grade.
-- I expect Love is Coach Woicik's sculptor's clay for this season, he should be more interesting to watch in the next Training Camp.
-- G. Warren is a pleasant surprise adjusting to NE's scheme, I hope he can continue here for another couple seasons before becoming a gentleman of leisure.
-- Pryor is a pretty good passing down NT, but he doesn't eat up the blockers the way Wright and Warren do, of course none of them are on par with Wilfork.

And is getting more pressure up the middle, which, it seems to me, is partly responsible for guys getting home from the edge a teensy bit more often. And I like the versatility - lining up DL guys seemingly all over the map. The increase in tactical options alone . . . .

That said, I would like to see the Pats come up with one more guy who CAN eat up blockers on a par with Wilfork.

And is getting more pressure up the middle, which, it seems to me, is partly responsible for guys getting home from the edge a teensy bit more often. And I like the versatility - lining up DL guys seemingly all over the map. The increase in tactical options alone . . . .

That said, I would like to see the Pats come up with one more guy who CAN eat up blockers on a par with Wilfork.
He returns from hip surgery next season. :cool:

exactly... what an interesting draft next years will be... no idea what positions will be picked. (i guess you could say that about BB in general though)

And is getting more pressure up the middle, which, it seems to me, is partly responsible for guys getting home from the edge a teensy bit more often.

And I like the versatility - lining up DL guys seemingly all over the map. The increase in tactical options alone . . . .

Hah!! VERY good, but I would argue he's not on PAR with Vince Wilfork...nor can we presume that he'll return to 100% of his previous effectiveness until 2012 ~ or possibly the second half of 2011 ~ particularly at his age.

Personally, I'm drawn more to Hurricane Nick Fairley's potential, and to JJ Watt's...But I must confess that Cameron Hayward looks like a exceptionally good fit for this team, nor would the naming of Cameron Jordan break my heart.

Here, Here, I was waiting for someone to point this out. I was at several training camp sessions that year and NEVER saw Brace line up at NT. Whatever perceptions the so called experts had on his future position with the Pats aside. From the get go, Brace has been a DE. I don't know why this thought that he was drafted as a NT still persists....a year later.:rolleyes:

Hmm - just noticed that two posters quoted me thinking I was talking about Ron Brace when I (clearly) was talking about Ty Warren. Not deeply relevant, but I said I was nitpicking. Carry on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes