PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

19-0 in 2009 ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a link to back that up:

Sports - Pancake Blocks: Don't expect Patriots to rest starters

Here are the three times before 2007 in which a Bill Belichick Patriots team had nothing to play for in Week 17.

* In 2004, with a bye in hand but no chance at home-field advantage, the Patriots played their starters into the fourth quarter and won at home against San Francisco. They wound up winning the Super Bowl.

* In 2005, without a bye and nothing to play for, the Patriots rested their starters after the first quarter and lost by two points at home to Miami. Matt Cassell overthrew Bam Childress on the game's final play - a two-point conversion attempt. The Patriots wound up losing in the Divisional Round to Denver.

* In 2006, without a bye and nothing to play for, the Patriots played their starters until the start of the fourth quarter, and beat a red-hot Tennessee team, 40-23.

So...The only time (ONE YEAR, not "YEARS") they rested people was when they didn't have a bye week, and the Patriots went on to have their ugliest playoff loss of the Belichick era. In 2004, they had a bye in hand, and still played their starters long enough to secure the win. After the 2005 Denver game, perhaps he regrets making that ONE exception.

You can't blame "rust" for the 2005 Denver loss. They beat up on Jax the week before in the playoffs, so evidently the rest he gave Brady et al during the Fins game didn't hurt too much.

If there's any regret for the above, it should be 2006 for losing Rodney in that meaningless Titans game. Think Rodney might have made a difference in the AFCCG that year? :mad:

Tom brady does not need to break TD records for the patriots to go 19-0. People who think the patriots will not go 19-0 are the ones thinking that tom brady has to break TD records in order for the patriots to go 19-0.

Remember that superbowl lost was a very close one. That Tyree catch could have easily been called for a holding penalty.

Tom brady does not need to break TD records for the patriots to go 19-0. People who think the patriots will not go 19-0 are the ones thinking that tom brady has to break TD records in order for the patriots to go 19-0.

Remember that superbowl lost was a very close one. That Tyree catch could have easily been called for a holding penalty.

Where do you get this idea?

Do you realize that this team has many new players on defense and they have not even played in pads yet and the fact that going 19-0 is very near impossible for ANY NFL team to do,especially trying to do it 2 times in 3 years.

Just because the 2007 team had a chance to do it does not mean you will see anything like that in the near future from any of the 32 teams,The 2007 season was most likely a once in a lifetime season to which the Pats could not seal the deal and that will probably be the closest you will see in your lifetime to perfection - not to mention that if the season goes to 18 games you can bet the house it will never happen again.

You also forgot that Brady breaking records is meaningless if the defense is not world caliber to do something like that again - IMO This 19-0 stuff is ridiculous and like I say Belichick wants to win the Division first regardless of whether it takes 10 wins or 16 and then move forward to the next goal.

Do you realize that this team has many new players on defense and they have not even played in pads yet and the fact that going 19-0 is very near impossible for ANY NFL team to do,especially trying to do it 2 times in 3 years.

Just because the 2007 team had a chance to do it does not mean you will see anything like that in the near future from any of the 32 teams,The 2007 season was most likely a once in a lifetime season to which the Pats could not seal the deal and that will probably be the closest you will see in your lifetime to perfection - not to mention that if the season goes to 18 games you can bet the house it will never happen again.

You also forgot that Brady breaking records is meaningless if the defense is not world caliber to do something like that again - IMO This 19-0 stuff is ridiculous and like I say Belichick wants to win the Division first regardless of whether it takes 10 wins or 16 and then move forward to the next goal.

PatsfaninPA:

Bringing common sense and crushing dreams in the process.

Don't you realize that with Brady and Belichick that our team has a chance to never lose a game again???

PatsfaninPA:

Bringing common sense and crushing dreams in the process.

Don't you realize that with Brady and Belichick that our team has a chance to never lose a game again???

Sorry,How dumb of me for trying a bit of logic :ugh:

While I agree with your basic premise, the reason that I think 16-0 is possible, is precisely because this Defense has so many newcomers. The previous edition finished as the TOP TENth. I expect this Defense, with so many newcomers, to be much better, with more talent everywhere.

While I agree with your basic premise, the reason that I think 16-0 is possible, is precisely because this Defense has so many newcomers. The previous edition finished as the TOP TENth. I expect this Defense, with so many newcomers, to be much better, with more talent everywhere.

On paper right now I think the Patriots have a boatload of talent,Do I think this team is capable of 16-0? - No

Reason being I think this team which has many new players usually takes a few weeks to mesh and not to forget that Tommy is probably not going to come out of the gate with all guns blazing,I would not be surprised to see a loss or two while the team begins to gel and mesh together in the first half of the season.

After mid season I would say the team should be on its usual stormy path to the playoffs but I think it could potentially be a little rocky early in the season - I would be very excited and happy if the team went 6-2 at the halfway point which is about what I expect.

Last edited:
On paper right now I think the Patriots have a boatload of talent,Do I think this team is capable of 16-0? - No

Reason being I think this team which has many new players usually takes a few weeks to mesh and not to forget that Tommy is probably not going to come out of the gate with all guns blazing,I would not be surprised to see a loss or two while the team begins to gel and mesh together in the first half of the season.

After mid season I would say the team should be on its usual stormy path to the playoffs but I think it could potentially be a little rocky early in the season - I would be very excited and happy if the team went 6-2 at the halfway point which is about what I expect.

Patriots first 9 weeks:

Buffalo
@Jets
Falcons
Ravens
@Broncos
Titans
@Buccaneers
---Bye---
Miami

I'm curious as to where you find the losses.

Pats had quite a few new players in 2007 too. Morris, Moss, Kyle Brady, Welker, Adalius, Meriweather (not starting, of course)...

Patriots first 9 weeks:

Buffalo
@Jets
Falcons
Ravens
@Broncos
Titans
@Buccaneers
---Bye---
Miami

I'm curious as to where you find the losses.

The Falcons have a very good young team
The Ravens despite losing a few players on D still are formidable which could give Brady some trouble
The Broncos at Mile High have ALWAYS played the Pats tough
The Jets could be pumped up and primed to try and upset

Any 2 of those 4 could give NE trouble

There are no sure things in football - Heck,even the horrid Lions 2 years ago almost knocked off the Pats at Foxboro and the Rams who were 2nd worst in the league almost upset last season - Anything can happen

6-2 is still my prediction,I do think there is hope for 7-1 though

But its still June and no one but McKenzie is on IR right now,lets hope no one is added this summer.

Last edited:
The reason the 2007 team was so special and why it was such a spectacle is because it is EXTREMELY difficult to do. If it were so easy, teams would be doing it every year. I really think that we all need to be careful about what we're expecting. Wanting and expecting something are two different things. So my answer remains 'yes' if I'm being asked do I want it to happen. If I'm being asked do I expect it to happen, then my answer would definitely be an emphatic 'no.'

I see too many "could-be" obstacles. The AFC East is going to be hella tougher this year than it was in 2007, both on paper and in reality. Someone mentioned it, and I agree, that Brady will not come out guns blazing to start. It'll take him about as long as it took Peyton Manning to find his game. Lastly, the defense may not be better than the 2007 edition. They are younger, presumably faster, and eager to prove themselves, but we really don't know what we're getting in Bodden and Springs. The young players in the secondary all missed significant time last year. The LB situation, both inside and out, is a question mark. I think we're all expecting the emergence of many different players, but the Pats could have some hard times as the young players go through their growing pains.

In the end, the Patriots have an extremely talented bunch and are really deep at some key positions. However, this is not a 16-0 or 19-0 team, IMHO.

The reason the 2007 team was so special and why it was such a spectacle is because it is EXTREMELY difficult to do. If it were so easy, teams would be doing it every year. I really think that we all need to be careful about what we're expecting. Wanting and expecting something are two different things. So my answer remains 'yes' if I'm being asked do I want it to happen. If I'm being asked do I expect it to happen, then my answer would definitely be an emphatic 'no.'

I see too many "could-be" obstacles. The AFC East is going to be hella tougher this year than it was in 2007, both on paper and in reality. Someone mentioned it, and I agree, that Brady will not come out guns blazing to start. It'll take him about as long as it took Peyton Manning to find his game. Lastly, the defense may not be better than the 2007 edition. They are younger, presumably faster, and eager to prove themselves, but we really don't know what we're getting in Bodden and Springs. The young players in the secondary all missed significant time last year. The LB situation, both inside and out, is a question mark. I think we're all expecting the emergence of many different players, but the Pats could have some hard times as the young players go through their growing pains.

In the end, the Patriots have an extremely talented bunch and are really deep at some key positions. However, this is not a 16-0 or 19-0 team, IMHO.

I can debate all of your obstacles.
-I don't really think the AFCE is any better now than 2007. The dolphins are better because they were 1-15 that year, but I do not see where the Jets or Bills have improved, and we aren't going to lose to Miami this year.
-I disagree that Brady won't be ready for the start of the season. Why won't he? You use Manning as an example, but Manning missed all of camp, and as of a week before the opener was questionable to even play. Brady will have a full camp. I would bet a TON of money that Tom Brady will be ready to go week 1, and not leave himself unprepared to play.
-If 'we dont know what we are getting in veteran free agents' was a reason that a defense isnt improved then no one is improved. Do the Redskins not have an improved DL becuase they dont know what they are getting in Haynesworth? As far as LB, compaed to 07, we added Mayo and lost Vrabel, otherwise its pretty similar.

My opinion is that we absolutely were a 19-0 caliber team in 2007. That could have resulted in 19-0, 18-1, even 17-2 but we were still that caliber, and the best way to judge that is to recognize that we were better (clearly) than every team we played and should have won each game.
I have absolutely no doubt the same dynamic exists this year.
So, actually I 'expect' a perfect season, but I am realistic enough to understand that even being a 19-0 caliber team means 19-0 is not assured.

By the way, there were equally as many 'could be' obstacles, if not more going into 2007.

Most have been forgotten.
-Can we ever beat the Colts? We had them in the AFCC and still gave it away.
-Will Moss even be a factor. (who can forget the 'report' he might be cut at final cutdown since he didnt play all preseason)
-Who is going to play ILB? Seau is like 90.
-Even if Moss is good, who is going to be our #2?
-Why did we waste a 2nd round pick on a punt returner?(Welker)
-How much will we miss Corey Dillon?
-Do we have any cornerbacks who can play?
those are just a few off the top of my head.

People seem to think everyone was predicting 19-0 in the 2007 pre-season and most of us here were trying to figure out how we could ever stop a team that just decided to spread the field and put us in man coverage like the Colts did in the 06 AFCC.

For the record you were the one tellling anyone in 2007 who suggested 16-0 that they were out of their mind and stupid to even think it was possible, right?

Belichicks goals are to win the division then move forward to the next goal.
Belichicks goals are to prepare the team to win a game every week. He doesn't set things up to target a number of wins. His goal from now until about 2 weeks before the opener is to coach up the players that are at practice, and evaluate them. Then his goal becomes to win the next game.

It is more accurate to say his goal is to go 19-0 than anything else, because his goal is to win each game, not to try and to figure out how many wins he wants to settle for.

I'm looking for a large collection of 1-game winning streaks. Until they've gone through training camp and the pre-season slate of games, we have no idea what this season's Patriots team is shaping up to. Let's just take it one game at a time.

By the way, there were equally as many 'could be' obstacles, if not more going into 2007.

-Will Moss even be a factor. (who can forget the 'report' he might be cut at final cutdown since he didnt play all preseason)

People seem to think everyone was predicting 19-0 in the 2007 pre-season and most of us here were trying to figure out how we could ever stop a team that just decided to spread the field and put us in man coverage like the Colts did in the 06 AFCC.

Seymour was also PUPed, and Rodney was recovering from a major injury/suspended 4 games for HGH. Those were pretty major question marks too.

Last edited:

There couldn't have been that many questions since there were quite a few people who were predicting they'd go 19-0 before that season started.

I can debate all of your obstacles.
-I don't really think the AFCE is any better now than 2007. The dolphins are better because they were 1-15 that year, but I do not see where the Jets or Bills have improved, and we aren't going to lose to Miami this year.
-I disagree that Brady won't be ready for the start of the season. Why won't he? You use Manning as an example, but Manning missed all of camp, and as of a week before the opener was questionable to even play. Brady will have a full camp. I would bet a TON of money that Tom Brady will be ready to go week 1, and not leave himself unprepared to play.
-If 'we dont know what we are getting in veteran free agents' was a reason that a defense isnt improved then no one is improved. Do the Redskins not have an improved DL becuase they dont know what they are getting in Haynesworth? As far as LB, compaed to 07, we added Mayo and lost Vrabel, otherwise its pretty similar.

My opinion is that we absolutely were a 19-0 caliber team in 2007. That could have resulted in 19-0, 18-1, even 17-2 but we were still that caliber, and the best way to judge that is to recognize that we were better (clearly) than every team we played and should have won each game.
I have absolutely no doubt the same dynamic exists this year.
So, actually I 'expect' a perfect season, but I am realistic enough to understand that even being a 19-0 caliber team means 19-0 is not assured.
I don't even care to go over all of this. I said that Brady wouldn't come out guns blazing. I never said he wouldn't be ready. That's the only one that I'll try to clarify. The rest . . . well, that's just your opinion obviously.

There couldn't have been that many questions since there were quite a few people who were predicting they'd go 19-0 before that season started.

A couple people, max, were outright predicting it. Most people dismissed it as so unlikely that it wasn't worth thinking about- kinda like now. If anything, people are more open to it now, since we came within 2 minutes of seeing it happen.

But yeah, there were all those questions and more. Setting aside revisionist history for a minute, that 2007 team was far from perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes