PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

16 Points In Every Game - How Many Wins?

Defense isn’t good enough. They are not stout up front. Long gone are the days of elite 3-4 line play. This D-line is too weak up front to play a 3-4. JC Jackson looks exactly like the same player as last year - can’t defend #1’s.

I expect the offense to open up more as Mac gets more comfortable. However, if this is how the offense rolls the entire season which looks very similar to 2019 dumping it off too many times to RB’s, then scoring 16-17 points will be a common theme. 12-14 play drives aren’t going to cut in today’s game.

Last edited:
Defense isn’t good enough. They are not stout up front Long gone are the days of elite line play. This D-line is weak up front. JC Jackson looks exactly like the same player as last year - can’t defend #1’s.

I expect the offense to open up more as Mac gets more comfortable. However, if this is how the offense rolls the entire season which looks very similar to 2019 dumping it off too many times to RB’s, then scoring 16-17 points will be a common theme. 12-14 play drives aren’t going to cut in today’s game.
What is good enough? expecting the defense to hold the other team to 10 points, or 13?

What is good enough? expecting the defense to hold the other team to 10 points, or 13?
Remember who they played against. Tua is garbage. In fact, I thought giving up 17 to him was too much.

Your question was whether they can do that for the entire season. My explanation for why they won’t is above.

Interesting question. I'd say that 16 points every game could get us 4 wins.

Upon further review (I checked the game scores) if the Pats scored 16 points every game counting playoffs their win totals from 2020-2013 would have been 3-11-5-7-5-5-6-3.
If they scored 21 it would have been 7-13-9-13-13-10-10-6.

I'll change my guess to 5 wins at 16 points and 9 at 21.

So, the the team continues to be statistically terrible in the red zone, so that's fine?

Of course, that’s how everyone feels. Great catch.

How about letting the season develop for a while before making idiotic proclamations like this? It’s one game, not an entire season

Besides O'Brien I also like Brian Daboll and Weiss. Basically the only Pats oc who was over his head but carried by brady is the current one.

There are also several outside the coaching tree I think would be good.
Weiss was my favorite of Pats OC’s.

McDaniels offense caught the league by storm in 2007, but the offense has gotten predictable and stale.

I would like them to bring someone from the outside for a new perspective.

How about letting the season develop for a while before making idiotic proclamations like this? It’s one game, not an entire season
I'll be more clear.

I BELIEVE IN OUR DEFENSE
I believe that giving up an average of 17 points a game is the mark of a top 5 defense.
I believe that the defense against the running game was the mark of a top 10 defense.
I believe the defense against the pass was the mark of a top 10 defense.

It is indeed early. Do you believe that is is "idiotic" to believe in this defense after its first game, and a game without Gilmore?
===========================================
The defense was NOT disappointing to me. Others wanted better, perhaps 10 or 13 points per game.
===================
THE BOTTOM LINE
1) In the last 25 minutes, the defense gave up ZERO points, and had a key interception.
2) In the last 25 minutes, with lots of opportunities, the offense needed to score 7 points; they scored 6.

I'll be more clear.

I BELIEVE IN OUR DEFENSE
I believe that giving up an average of 17 points a game is the mark of a top 5 defense.
I believe that the defense against the running game was the mark of a top 10 defense.
I believe the defense against the pass was the mark of a top 10 defense.

It is indeed early. Do you believe that is is "idiotic" to believe in this defense after its first game, and a game without Gilmore?
===========================================
The defense was NOT disappointing to me. Others wanted better, perhaps 10 or 13 points per game.
===================
THE BOTTOM LINE
1) In the last 25 minutes, the defense gave up ZERO points, and had a key interception.
2) In the last 25 minutes, with lots of opportunities, the offense needed to score 7 points; they scored 6.

It was idiotic to frame the question as though the offense won’t score more than 16 points a game

2/3 of the plays have been shotgun . This oc has zero clue how to use 2 tight ends. The Patriots need a new offensive coordinator. Mac is taking way too many hits.

It was idiotic to frame the question as though the offense won’t score more than 16 points a game
Again, there have been many, many posts about the defense not being good enough. I guess I don't communicate well. My point is that holding the opposing teams to 16 points a game are stats of a top 5 defense.

I NEVER said the offense WON'T score more than 16 points a game.

2/3 of the plays have been shotgun . This oc has zero clue how to use 2 tight ends. The Patriots need a new offensive coordinator. Mac is taking way too many hits.
NEM from the grave.

IMO, the problems are
1) the weakness of the team: swing OT.
2) very poor performance in the red zone. This is partly due to having 4 new receivers and a rookie QB.
3) the likely need to overuse White.

NEM from the grave.

IMO, the problems are
1) the weakness of the team: swing OT.
2) very poor performance in the red zone. This is partly due to having 4 new receivers and a rookie QB.
3) the likely need to overuse White.
I think your right with 1 and 2 but White as always will be situational. There will be games when he is not called often…same as in the past.

They ALWAYS get too conservative in the red zone. Instead of going for the kill shot…it’s please be careful and don’t make mistakes. It’s an offensive prevent mentality.

I think your right with 1 and 2 but White as always will be situational. There will be games when he is not called often…same as in the past.

They ALWAYS get too conservative in the red zone. Instead of going for the kill shot…it’s please be careful and don’t make mistakes. It’s an offensive prevent mentality.
Who do you see as the change of base back. Can either Stevenson or Taylor pick up the blitz?

Will no one share the primary load with Harris?

Who do you see as the change of base back. Can either Stevenson or Taylor pick up the blitz?

Will no one share the primary load with Harris?
I think it’s going to be a 50/50 platoon. Stevenson WILL be a better blocker this season. Depending what defense we are against…will depend on who the backup is.

It’s not how things worked in the past. Things have changed in the past year.

Again, there have been many, many posts about the defense not being good enough. I guess I don't communicate well. My point is that holding the opposing teams to 16 points a game are stats of a top 5 defense.

I NEVER said the offense WON'T score more than 16 points a game.

You said “ how many games will they win if they only score 16 points a game?” That is exactly what I said it was, framing the question as though they will be scoring 16 points a game.

You are however completely correct in calling DropKickNewton NEM, that’s exactly who he acts like.

Hodor

Hodor

Hodor

Let's be clear.

LAST 25 MINUTES OF THE GAME
1) The defense allowed ZERO points.
2) The defense gave the offense field position with an interception.
3) The offense needed to score 8 points in 25 minutes (7 to tie); they scored 6.
It's like Zach Wilson's poor performance had little or nothing to do with the Pat's winning.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back