PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#1 Need - Wide Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming you missed this post:

Ah but you missed my point....the Patriots have done MUCH better with veteran WRs through trades and FA pickups. Sure there was a Doug Gabriel or two but none of the flops cost a second or third round pick. With Moss and Welker the Patriots hit home runs and even Stallworth was pretty good.

Ah but you missed my point....the Patriots have done MUCH better with veteran WRs through trades and FA pickups. Sure there was a Doug Gabriel or two but none of the flops cost a second or third round pick. With Moss and Welker the Patriots hit home runs and even Stallworth was pretty good.

At some point you have to draft a WR because you can't sign veteran WRs forever. Sure you can bring one in every offseason, but he'll only be a short-term fix because he's already close to retirement (like Deion Branch, Ocho if he had panned out, maybe a Reggie Wayne). So at one point you have to draft a WR and hope he pans out so that you won't have to bring in a vet every offseason.

At some point you have to draft a WR because you can't sign veteran WRs forever. Sure you can bring one in every offseason, but he'll only be a short-term fix because he's already close to retirement (like Deion Branch, Ocho if he had panned out, maybe a Reggie Wayne). So at one point you have to draft a WR and hope he pans out so that you won't have to bring in a vet every offseason.

In theory that makes perfect sense and given the WR corp we had in 2006 and how it probably cost us a SB, you would think that.

But the reality is that a.) it takes years for a WR to learn the Pats complicated option routes enough that Brady feels comfortable with them and B.) Unless that rookie can contribute on ST, we can not hold a roster spot for him that long.

If we let Branch and Ohosucko go, and we bring in Lloyd and Wayne, cap space willing, we have upgraded the position greatly and do not have room for a rookie to develop.

If you're saying re-signing Welker is the number 1 need, I can agree with that. Otherwise, I have to say that defensive back, defensive line and pass-rusher are numbers 1, 2, and 3. How many years are the Patriots going to go and NOT address the issues on defense? I love offense as much as anyone, but it's time to get opposing offenses off the field so OURS can do their jobs.

In theory that makes perfect sense and given the WR corp we had in 2006 and how it probably cost us a SB, you would think that.

But the reality is that a.) it takes years for a WR to learn the Pats complicated option routes enough that Brady feels comfortable with them and B.) Unless that rookie can contribute on ST, we can not hold a roster spot for him that long.

If we let Branch and Ohosucko go, and we bring in Lloyd and Wayne, cap space willing, we have upgraded the position greatly and do not have room for a rookie to develop.

Given that our kick returns suck ass there is a ST spot to earn for a rookie WR. I also doubt that they will be able to bring in Lloyd and Wayne while also keeping Welker. Welker will cost the Patriots at least 8 million in 2012 and I doubt that Reggie Wayne signs for less. Add in Brandon Lloyd and I don't see this happening when they have a rookie class to sign and some other free agents they need to take care of. They might be able to resign Welker and bring in Lloyd or Wayne, but we also could see them just resign Welker and Branch and in that case, I'd rather have a rookie WR to compete with Branch, Edelmann and Underwood...

Twitter is reporting that sources at Alshon Jeffrey's combine training have him at 249lbs and running a 4.88 40

:eek:

If true, he probably projects best as a blocking TE or OG.

Even Brandon Spikes could cover him.

EDIT: This might be Twitter BS. This account says he's training in Indy but the only thing I've found about his combine training says that he's training in Tampa.

Last edited:
Twitter is reporting that sources at Alshon Jeffrey's combine training have him at 249lbs and running a 4.88 40

EDIT: This might be Twitter BS. This account says he's training in Indy but the only thing I've found about his combine training says that he's training in Tampa.

That can't be right

He better hope he runs good at the combine and someone is throwing vicious tweets out there to do him injustice or else he's looking like a 4th or 5th rounder.

That is Ahmad Black slow.

From other twitter people it says this is confirmed, but he ran it over a month ago.

Still doesn't change the fact he weighs 249 pounds at WR, hell, if he can't ever break 4.7 at the combine, I like him in the 4th. :D

It'd be like having a hybrid TE.

Last edited:
I love love love love love Eric Page. But he's more like a 3rd-5th rounder but this team sure could use his return skills.

Sounds like he just now getting off his lazy ass to go train for the combine. Oops I'm 249, lets go work out 2 weeks before the combine to shed the weight and get faster. Comes off as a procrastinator.

Tis the misinformation season. Alshon hasn't been in Indy since January 8, so even if that stuff was true it wouldn't matter. He seems to be in shape now and ready for the combine.

NFL Draft: Alshon Jeffery is About to Prove a lot of People Wrong

Last edited:
If we have Welker, Wayne and 3rd starter quality receiver (Lloyd isn't coming), I agree that we will have an upgrade over 2011. If one of the free agents doesn't work out, we will be about equal to 2011, perhaps better late since Branch didn't do much). Re-sign Slater and we have 5 wide receivers.

It would seem that we would still have room for a draftee who would be expected to have minimal duty unless there was an injury. Of course, we could simply use Underwood for that role.

Sign Welker and Lloyd. No other teams want Branch so he can be resigned for a low amount of money if he wont take it let him go. Discuss offer with Wayne and see what he will cost. If TB, BB and McDaniel want Moss get him as a 3rd/4th receiver at league minimum for 1-year. Draft Joe Adams from Arkansas (3rd round) as 5th receiver and let him return punts, kicks...Edelman, Ocho are useless at WR and wait to fill out the future WR's in the 2013 draft.

Last edited:
lol Moss will implode as a 3rd/4th WR on a team. He has always needed to be the star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes