PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#1 Need - Wide Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As of now, our #1 need is clearly wide receiver. Ochocinco is NOT staying unless he agrees to a new contract (if at all); so he is essentially a free agent. Welker, Branch and Slater are unsigned.

Edelman and Underwood are currently our 2012 wide receivers.

We could franchise Welker (and we will if he doesn't sign); bu that won't help the first half of the season.

BOTTOM LINE
I don't want wide receiver to be a HUGE draft need. I would hope that we have at least THREE receivers signed before the draft. Welker, Branch and Lloyd certainly come to mind.
Wide receiver would still be a top draft targer, just not a critical need.

In some sense, we are in a similar place with the center position, although less serious. As long as we re-sign Koppen or Connolly, we have no critical draft need.

I agree about WR and the draft. I think the Pats have to many other holes to fill and it seems they hae been down this road to many times before. Drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds and they dont pan out. Id rather see the Pats pick up a UDFA or someone in the really late rounds (which we dont have and picks for as of now). Id rather see them bring in a few FA's. I like Lloyd cause of his success and familiarity with McDaniels system. Same for Eddie Royal. His production is up and down, but we know he can do it and he is a good return guy. I also like Robert Meachem from NO. Let Branch walk (although if he finds no other team Id offer him a 1 year deal) and cut Ocho. Sign Lloyd, Meachem and Royal and I think we are in much better shape at WR.

I agree about WR and the draft. I think the Pats have to many other holes to fill and it seems they hae been down this road to many times before. Drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds and they dont pan out. Id rather see the Pats pick up a UDFA or someone in the really late rounds (which we dont have and picks for as of now). Id rather see them bring in a few FA's. I like Lloyd cause of his success and familiarity with McDaniels system. Same for Eddie Royal. His production is up and down, but we know he can do it and he is a good return guy. I also like Robert Meachem from NO. Let Branch walk (although if he finds no other team Id offer him a 1 year deal) and cut Ocho. Sign Lloyd, Meachem and Royal and I think we are in much better shape at WR.

The Pats haven't drafted a wr iin the first round under Belichick. Hard to say any failed. When we haven't selected one. In the 2nd round he has drafted 3. Deion Branch, Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson. One home run. And, two washouts. Not awful for the 2nd round. You usually hit on 50pct. He hit on 33. Our 3RD rounders have been terrible in general. Don't have to single out wr.

I agree. It says a lot that the Patriots managed to get to the Super Bowl with the worst defense in the league. But only scoring 17 points in the Super Bowl is a shame. Losing Gronk was a bigger blow than it needed to be. The strength of this team is obviously Tom Brady and his receivers. Giving him better weapons is the best way to stay competitive.

in 2010 the Patriots drafted a nice TE corp with Gronk and Hernandez. in 2011 they got Vereen and Ridley. jury's still out on them. for 2012, the focus should be WRs. they have plenty of picks to draft at least two WRs in the first three rounds

Last edited:
Sorry, but I have to disagree. I'm not sure what the number one need is, but whatever it is it's on defense, not offense.

Our WR's are Edelman, Underwood and Ochocinco (presuming that we are willing to pay his contracted price), and ****erson.

Please review this unit and tell me which of our units is weaker.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I'm not sure what the number one need is, but whatever it is it's on defense, not offense.

Last edited:
We sure could have used Torrey Smith who averaged 19.8 yards per catch with Joe Flacco and the lumbering Ravens.

Imagine what this offense could have been this year with him! Holy cow!

But I'm sure we'll see Ras-I Dowling play one of these years. Maybe not an entire year, but I'm expecting big things from him this preseason.

And I'm not bitter we picked him over Smith. Well, a little.

Our WR's are Edelman, Underwood and Ochocinco (presuming that we are willing to pay his contracted price), and ****erson.

Please review this unit and tell me which of our units is weaker.

Welker will definitely be back, and Branch almost certainly will be as well. Is it still the team's "#1 need" once that inevitably happens?

I'm not following the line of reasoning why Welker won't help for the first half of the season either. Why the presumption that a long term contract won't be reached, and that he will then hold out as long as he possibly can? Believe it or not some players do play under the franchise tag, and some even reach contract agreements before the season starts after they've been franchised.

#1 need is a pass rusher. #2 is a WR. Branch and Welker will be back plus the free agency crop of WRs is way better than the draft + not using that pick on something else.

The Pats haven't drafted a wr iin the first round under Belichick. Hard to say any failed. When we haven't selected one. In the 2nd round he has drafted 3. Deion Branch, Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson. One home run. And, two washouts. Not awful for the 2nd round. You usually hit on 50pct. He hit on 33. Our 3RD rounders have been terrible in general. Don't have to single out wr.

3rd round gems.......Brandon Tate, Taylor Price are no worse than Bethel or Chad.

Considering we traded up for Chad and passed on very productive college WR Greg Jennings(238 catches), and then followed it up by taking Tate(8 career TD at NC) over Wallace(15 TD's in 3 yrs at Miss), it just shows a blind monkey can scout WR position better than BB.

A for Bethel and Taylor, holy effin sheezzzzz

2003.....passed up Anquan Boldin for Bethel. Again, Anquan was a productive college WR. 2 yrs at FSU, 106 catches, 1600+ yards, 16TD
Bethel was well Texas Cow manure.

Masterpiece resume of WR scouting and drafting BB ! Masterpiece

Last edited:
2003.....passed up Anquan Boldin for Bethel. Again, Anquan was a productive college WR. 2 yrs at FSU, 106 catches, 1600+ yards, 16TD
Bethel was well Texas Cow manure.

Wikipedia: "Johnson attended Texas A&M University, and finished his college football career with 117 receptions for 1740 yards (14.9 yards per reception), and 11 receiving touchdowns."

I can't exactly blame BB for thinking he might have more upside than Boldin.

Wikipedia: "Johnson attended Texas A&M University, and finished his college football career with 117 receptions for 1740 yards (14.9 yards per reception), and 11 receiving touchdowns."

I can't exactly blame BB for thinking he might have more upside than Boldin.

BB is smarter than just looking at stats.

For years we've been trying to replace Gaffney, BB should have just kept him in the first place. Penny wise and pound foolish.

If one simply assumes that Welker and Branch are re-signed to contracts before the draft, then I agree that the #1 draft need is certainly NOT WR.

As of now, neither of these players has signed.

I also do not assume that a player who has not signed will choose to play the first half of the season under a franchise tag, rather than wait until the latest time allowed by the CBA.

That being said, I expect that Belichick will re-sign both Welker and Branch.

#1 need is a pass rusher. #2 is a WR. Branch and Welker will be back plus the free agency crop of WRs is way better than the draft + not using that pick on something else.

I don't see it as the #1 need full stop int he draft as there's so much depth...the Pats could use their fourth pick on a WR and be bringing in a potential contributor from day 1. The team eveolves around the TEs and I think we'll be fine if we bring one of Welker and Branch back, bring in a free agent and draft a rookie.

If Criner fell to the 3rd it would be a steal. I'd take him with our fourth pick. DE, CB/S (like Dennard who can play both), DL (hybrid guy like Crick or Cox...Cox will be gone by this point, Cox should fall), then WR. Safety in the 3rd. Center late on maybe.

Last edited:
We sure could have used Torrey Smith who averaged 19.8 yards per catch with Joe Flacco and the lumbering Ravens.

Imagine what this offense could have been this year with him! Holy cow!

But I'm sure we'll see Ras-I Dowling play one of these years. Maybe not an entire year, but I'm expecting big things from him this preseason.

And I'm not bitter we picked him over Smith. Well, a little.

Considering the short window before the rookie player becomes FA, the entire round 2 on 2011 gave us a BIG FAT 0, between Ras I and Vereen.

No Brainer that Brooks Reed and Torrey Smith would have helped us win the SB this year.

Rd 3 picks - Mallet a clipboard holder for 3 or more years still, and Ridley was barely used.

So, out of a whopping 5 picks used in first 3 rounds, the contribution Pats got in 2011 season by all the dealing by Mr BB was Nate Solder for 13 games.

EPIC FAIL

Last edited:

Yea, there we go. Maybe that explains why

Rd2 2006 Trading up for Chad Jackson(one year wonder at UF with 88 of 106 catches) over Greg Jennings(238 receptions at Western Mich)

Rd3 2009 picking ACL+MCL torn Brandon Tate from UNC over Mike Wallace(next pick after Tate)

Rd2 2010 Another gem in Taylor Price

As of now, our #1 need is clearly wide receiver. Ochocinco is NOT staying unless he agrees to a new contract (if at all); so he is essentially a free agent. Welker, Branch and Slater are unsigned.

Edelman and Underwood are currently our 2012 wide receivers.

We could franchise Welker (and we will if he doesn't sign); bu that won't help the first half of the season.

BOTTOM LINE
I don't want wide receiver to be a HUGE draft need. I would hope that we have at least THREE receivers signed before the draft. Welker, Branch and Lloyd certainly come to mind.
Wide receiver would still be a top draft targer, just not a critical need.

In some sense, we are in a similar place with the center position, although less serious. As long as we re-sign Koppen or Connolly, we have no critical draft need.

I thought a very high need was a 3rd TE? http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...10/897714-tight-end-very-high-draft-need.html

Eh you can grab any decent blocking TE for cheap in FA or later rounds. We really don't need a third pass catching TE.. otherwise we would have kept Crumpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back