PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

“They Basically Reset My Brain”

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was an excellent read, thank you! And, I remember us talking about him possibly coming here if healthy in 2014... Turns out we have a few posters on here that Coach Belichick agrees with!

Wow, gripping article. Bet it saves a few lives.

I know it would never happen, but the NFL step up and put it in themselves after the reality came out of how complicit the Commissioner's office was/is in downplaying concussions.

Because: Integrity! or whatever buzzword he's pushing this week.

Amazing. This was news to me. I did not know these issues can be corrected in therapy.

Now, for the first time, somebody was telling me, This isn’t your fault. Something is doing this to you. And we can fix it.

I am not a doctor, but I know quite lot about TBI.

Sadly, like almost all quick-fix stories about chronic medical conditions, this is just not true. You can't "re-program" brains and where there is physical damage there is physical damage. So, no, "this isn't your fault" (of course not) but, no, we can't "fix" it.

That said ...

Every injury is different. (TBI is not the same as CTE, by the way. The scary thing about CTE is that people seem to develop it after a sequence of small shocks, not one big one.) And the brain can recover -- "reprogram" itself -- somewhat.

What's more, it can be helped on its recovery. And it sounds as though Finley's "clinic" was doing a lot of the right things -- relaxation, meditation, for example. Also, the right kind of exercise, depending on what problems you had (training balance, for example). Above all, taking the pressure off to do everything that you did before the trauma at the level you were doing it. So I'll forgive them the surrounding BS.

The greatest lesson of all, though, is that Finley had the injury insurance. Knowing that he can live life and take things on as he feels up to it, not because he has to do it to meet his responsibilities to his family, takes the pressure off. If only that were part of the deal for all NFL players.

Last edited:
Tough to read. Nothing to add other than Thank God he had the injury insurance. Is it included in every contract and paid by the teams or league?
Lot to think about, especially when accompanied by the news of the death of Cortez Kennedy; not trying to connect the two medically, just making an observation.

I am not a doctor, but I know quite lot about TBI.

Sadly, like almost all quick-fix stories about chronic medical conditions, this is just not true. You can't "re-program" brains and where there is physical damage there is physical damage. So, no, "this isn't your fault" (of course not) but, no, we can't "fix" it.

That said ...

Every injury is different. (TBI is not the same as CTE, by the way. The scary thing about CTE is that people seem to develop it after a continuous sequence of small shocks, not one big one.) And the brain can recover -- "reprogram" itself -- somewhat.

What's more, it can be helped on its recovery. And it sounds as though Finley's "clinic" was doing a lot of the right things -- relaxation, meditation, for example. Also, the right kind of exercise, depending on what problems you had (training balance, for example). Above all, taking the pressure off to do everything that you did before the trauma at the level you were doing it. So I'll forgive them the surrounding BS.

The greatest lesson of all, though, is that Finley had the injury insurance. Knowing that he can live life and take things on as he feels up to it, not because he has to do it to meet his responsibilities to his family, takes the pressure off. If only that were part of the deal for all NFL players.
Thanks. I did pretty much take his use of that language as rhetorical rather than medically technical.

Thanks. I did pretty much take his use of that language as rhetorical rather than medically technical.

Yes.

Human nature being what it is, we all reach out towards stories that tell us it's possible to reverse what's in fact irreversible. And there are people who serve that with "fix" stories put in plausibly scientific-sounding language (which they often sincerely believe themselves).

The major problem for anyone facing a serious condition is to find out what can and can't be fixed -- to address the one and accept the other.

Yes.

Human nature being what it is, we all reach out towards stories that tell us it's possible to reverse what's in fact irreversible. And there are people who serve that with "fix" stories put in plausibly scientific-sounding language (which they often sincerely believe themselves).

The major problem for anyone facing a serious condition is to find out what can and can't be fixed -- to address the one and accept the other.
Very perceptive.

It's a fabulous article and I can't help but notice who was there helping him and urging him to go to the neuro clinic? Who was that? Oh yeah, his wife. Because as he said, no one gave a **** about what he was up to after he retired but for her and their children, it's the rest of their lives.

Exactly! It's why my first response to hearing Gisele talk about Tom was 'good for her.'

I actually lost a friend a few years ago because his wife and daughters were too timid with him about having his symptoms checked. If that's my wife and I told her that I didn't need to see a doctor, as soon as I said no she'd be calling someone to take me to one.

Powerful story, thanks for sharing. I hope players get the message.
I think responsible parent will. More and more of these stories are being told and anyone truly paying attention can easily find them. Football will cease to exist very soon at this rate (in addition to its own stupidity).

Great read. Thanks, OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back