PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

“They Basically Reset My Brain”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great read. I'm happy for him that he is doing better. Really scary though. :(

Powerful story, thanks for sharing. I hope players get the message.

good read. i find it somewhat disconcerting that, after all he went through, he decided to go into coaching football, including coaching up his own sons:

As part of the neuro training, the doctors needed to find something that stimulated me — something I got excited about the way I got excited about football.

We determined that that something was coaching.

So today, I put on football camps and work with kids in the small town of Aledo, Texas, where I live, and I work with my own boys, coaching them up, too. I’m obsessed with my family now. I finally came to the realization that my relationship with the NFL was temporary, but my relationship with my wife and kids is permanent. It’s forever.

good read. i find it somewhat disconcerting that, after all he went through, he decided to go into coaching football, including coaching up his own sons:

That's the decision we all need to make, isn't it? Football could arguably be considered a blood sport. As fans, we have to figure out how comfortable we are with our own culpability. I love the game, and part of that is because of its inherent physicality and, yes, even violence -- stories like this certainly give me pause, however, to consider if there are ways to make the game safer. I'll always prefer tackle football to flag football, but even if we did move to flag football, accidents can and will happen. Injury is simply unavoidable, even if it can be mitigated or ameliorated.

No easy answers, but I do enjoy the sport, and I hope and pray that the players can have whole, happy, healthy lives after the game.

I don't know if I want to read this because of all the **** talking Jermichael Finley was doing. "Oh I gotta see more of Gronk before..." lol what dude, why don't you look at your own performance first!:rolleyes:

It's a fabulous article and I can't help but notice who was there helping him and urging him to go to the neuro clinic? Who was that? Oh yeah, his wife. Because as he said, no one gave a **** about what he was up to after he retired but for her and their children, it's the rest of their lives.

It's a fabulous article and I can't help but notice who was there helping him and urging him to go to the neuro clinic? Who was that? Oh yeah, his wife. Because as he said, no one gave a **** about what he was up to after he retired but for her and their children, it's the rest of their lives.

I thank God for my wife every day.

Of course nobody cared about what he was up to after he retired. The guy was a douchebag.

Of course nobody cared about what he was up to after he retired. The guy was a douchebag.

You're really making light of a serious situation. Gronk had all of one year in the league when Finley mentioned that he (and Graham) needed to show more consistency / longevity before being pronounced the next big thing. Wouldn't we say the same thing about Zeke, for example? Ridiculous to dredge up an innocent comment from five years ago, and use that as a spring board for insulting a man dealing with traumatic brain injury.

"I know Gronk and Jimmy Graham, they did well last year," Finley said, according to Jason Wilde of ESPN Milwaukee. "But in this league, you've got to do it consistently. If you've shown that you can do it one time, you have to come back and do it. They're going to have to show me something. I'm not trying to beat them or see what I can do better than them, but they're going to have to show me a little more."

Finley's comments could raise a few eyebrows considering how Gronkowski and Graham finished in the top five in receptions and were two of seven receivers to top 1,300 yards last season, nearly doubling Finley's production. To Finley's credit, he doesn't believe he has done enough in the league, either. That sentiment was behind his decision to accept a short-term contract from the Packers.

Amazing. This was news to me. I did not know these issues can be corrected in therapy.

Now, for the first time, somebody was telling me, This isn’t your fault. Something is doing this to you. And we can fix it.

Amazing. This was news to me. I did not know these issues can be corrected in therapy.

Now, for the first time, somebody was telling me, This isn’t your fault. Something is doing this to you. And we can fix it.

CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) seems promising for treating concussions. if research continues to show that CBT is effective in treating the effects of concussions, the NFLPA should push for the NFL to include free coverage of therapy for retirees in the next labor agreement.

You're really making light of a serious situation. Gronk had all of one year in the league when Finley mentioned that he (and Graham) needed to show more consistency / longevity before being pronounced the next big thing. Wouldn't we say the same thing about Zeke, for example? Ridiculous to dredge up an innocent comment from five years ago, and use that as a spring board for insulting a man dealing with traumatic brain injury.

The guy who hadn't done jack shouldn't have been talking about other players.

CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) seems promising for treating concussions. if research continues to show that CBT is effective in treating the effects of concussions, the NFLPA should push for the NFL to include free coverage of therapy for retirees in the next labor agreement.

I know it would never happen, but the NFL step up and put it in themselves after the reality came out of how complicit the Commissioner's office was/is in downplaying concussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down