PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zoltan to Steelers

If you're going to be the forum bully, then you may want to get some of your facts correct from now on, or at least increase your average a bit. If I had a nickle for every time you were wrong I'd be a rich, rich man.

As for you being rich, that just another exaggeration. If I have a penny for ever time someone like yourself claimed they were being bullied in a forum, I'd be the rich one. Seriously. What you claimed I said what so wrong it was pathetic and you got called out on it. Deal with it instead of whining and making more erroneous claims.

You have a lot of strong opinions berating others when 9/10 times you don't have much knowledge of what you're talking about. The Dennard and Hernandez situations are prime examples of you mocking and making fun of others when you're out in left field entirely about what the process is, and what's actually been happening.

Considering how often you totally twisted what I say out of proportion (like you have in this thread) you'll forgive me if I take what you say as being worthless. The Dennard and Hernandez situations are perfect examples of you taking what I say and twisting it or just not understanding. Your claims about what I said in both situations were wrong. From claiming that I had made a decision in support of Hernandez to your claims that the 1st Court appearance on July 27th was an arraignment and not the actual discussion of the charge of violation of his parole. The State of Nebraska doesn't do arraignment for Parole Violations. They send a letter to the defendant and specify the court date for judgement Look it up. I did. That's why I was able to say what I said. So, please, I'm not the one out in left field per your claims. But again, that is you making them so you sound all high and mighty and the reality is that all you've done is exaggerate or misconstrue what I've said. Just like you did in this thread.

If Mesko was costing 1.3 million dollars this year, then what would you describe as "1/3" of that cost, Mr. Calculator? What do you think it's costing to keep Allen this year?

Here's a quote furthering the point from musketfire.com
:

"Mesko had just one year left on his deal, and he was set to make $1.323 million, and that’s a lot of money for a punter. Contrast that with Allen’s income, which was set at about a third of Mesko’s pay, and it’s clear that the Patriots planned on going with Allen as long as he kept things competitive."

Mesko's dead cap hit was approx. 47,000 so that's pretty much irrelevant.

Really? It's irrelevant? Sorry, but it's not irrelevant. You add that to the $495K of Allen and you have $548K. Last I looked, $548K is 41%, not 33%

The cost of top tier punters at the moment is in the 2-3 million dollar range, and if you base the past 2 contracts they'd average to be about 4 million per year. If you think that Belichick was going to pay our punter 50% of that then you aren't too familiar with the past dealings of the team.

I think that this is pretty safe speculation, and based on what Belichick's decision was, it would seem that he agreed on some level.

So, which is Mesko? Is he a mediocre punter or a "top tier" punter? Based on what you and others have said, he'd have been less than $2M per year to sign. Heck, I don't even think that he'd average more than $2M per on a long term contract.

As for your claims that I'm not familiar with the past dealings of the team, yeah, whatever you say there. That is just a typical over-statement by yourself.

You're making way too big of a deal over changing punters.

I'm not making a "big deal" out of the changing of punters. If you'd actually followed what I said instead of putting in your own commentary, I said that the Pats are going to regret letting Mesko go. I stand by that statement because Mesko was the best and most consistent punter they've had since 1996.

All Allen proved to me was that he can outkick coverage and that he's not nearly as good at directional punting as Mesko.

The ones making a "big deal" are people like yourself who insist on exaggerating the claims of others to attempt to make yourself look smart. That is the sign of a bully. Not me stating my opinion and defending myself when people like you insist on exaggerating what I said.

Really? It's irrelevant? Sorry, but it's not irrelevant. You add that to the $495K of Allen and you have $548K. Last I looked, $548K is 41%, not 33%

The rookie minimum this year is $405K. $405K + $47K = $452K out of $1,370K [$1,323K + $47K] is approximately 33%.

$495K is Allen's scheduled salary for 2014.

I hate losing guys like Mesko but this one makes sense to me. We replaced him with a punter with a great resume both in college and training camp. We saved close to $1M and have him locked in for two years after that at a bargain basement price; we have no idea what Mesko wants in his next deal but it will presumably be higher than he's getting now. I looked up one of the better punters, Morestead, and he signed a 7 year, $23M contract last year - that's over $3M a year. Not saying Mesko would get that but we'll be paying Allen about 1/6th of that per year.

I hate losing guys like Mesko but this one makes sense to me. We replaced him with a punter with a great resume both in college and training camp. We saved close to $1M and have him locked in for two years after that at a bargain basement price; we have no idea what Mesko wants in his next deal but it will presumably be higher than he's getting now. I looked up one of the better punters, Morestead, and he signed a 7 year, $23M contract last year - that's over $3M a year. Not saying Mesko would get that but we'll be paying Allen about 1/6th of that per year.

The only problem with the move is that it isn't really a solution, per se, it's just kicking the can down the road a couple of years.

This was a good, forward thinking move due to Allen being a talented punter. Just more proof that BB is better than most of his peers. But if Allen does not punt well, it was a move BB should have known not to have made. Just another example of BB the GM misfiring. Hey, I read a story that Tebow is putting time into developing a punting game.....:D

The season starts in a few days, football is back, it's all good for at least the next few days. The P switch to Allen is one of those moves that is a complete ???/TBD.

As for you being rich, that just another exaggeration. If I have a penny for ever time someone like yourself claimed they were being bullied in a forum, I'd be the rich one. Seriously. What you claimed I said what so wrong it was pathetic and you got called out on it. Deal with it instead of whining and making more erroneous claims.

What I stated was absolute fact. It wasn't "pathetically wrong," and there weren't any "erroneous claims" being made.

Allen is scheduled to make approx. 1/3rd of what Mesko was making this season, and it has now been backed up by multiple sources, articles, and posters whom I trust. Don't tell me to "deal with it," because you are continuing to make yourself look silly.

I'm not going to go back and forth with you, but you have been attempting to bully the majority of posters on this forum for years. Your general attitude and demeanor are disrespectful and when someone calls you out on it you get even pissier and paint yourself in a corner even more.

If that's the way you want to treat your fellow posters and fanbase with your know it all attitude that is often incorrect, then be my guest...but don't be surprised when someone calls you out on it. I've attempted multiple times to put you in a respectful light, but you make it hard DaBruinz. As I've suggested before, let's try and move on. I still have respect for you and feel that you're a good guy but it's hard to agree with your attitude and arrogance that you often bring.

The only problem with the move is that it isn't really a solution, per se, it's just kicking the can down the road a couple of years.

I think that you make a decent point that it may be "kicking the can down the road a couple of years." Sometimes we can get by with that route, sometimes not. Of course there may be certain positions that Belichick isn't as afraid to take a chance with, or positions that he values on different tiers.

One thing is for sure though, if you are going to bring a fair amount of competition to the squad, and are also younger and cheaper--you're going to have a pretty decent shot at replacing the more expensive player. I do share the same level of concern with you regarding the "smaller" things that can end up being quite large in terms of holding for FG attempts etc.

There has been some speculation regarding the Pats worry that Allen may not have made it to the PS and/or would've gone on to another team, so if that's true on any level I'd imagine that came into consideration with this move. A best case scenario may have been to keep Mesko for his last year while Allen got some of the finer points down pat, but they did not choose to gamble on that route.

Do you think that there is any chance that an eye may be kept towards being a bit more shrewd with some of these cap saving decisions due to the so-called "flat cap" era (for the most part) that we've been dealing with lately? I mean, I know that Belichick is always one to potentially save precious cap space, but is there a chance that it may open up a bit more and we wouldn't necessarily have to "kick the can down the road" again a few yrs from now? I only ask to get your thoughts on something that you are so familiar with since you are one of the better capologists on the forum.

Do you think that there is any chance that an eye may be kept towards being a bit more shrewd with some of these cap saving decisions due to the so-called "flat cap" era (for the most part) that we've been dealing with lately? I mean, I know that Belichick is always one to potentially save precious cap space, but is there a chance that it may open up a bit more and we wouldn't necessarily have to "kick the can down the road" again a few yrs from now? I only ask to get your thoughts on something that you are so familiar with since you are one of the better capologists on the forum.
Hypothetically speaking, Bill Belichick may be looking forward to the salary cap situation for the 2014 NFL Season. The following New England Patriots players will be unrestricted free agents for the 2014 League Year:

Blount
Washington (if he returns after week 1)
Hoomanawanui
Edelman
Svitek
Wendell
Cunningham
Ninkovich
Fletcher
Spikes
Cole
Talib

The New England Patriots already have committed approximately $119.5 million in salary cap space for the 2014 NFL Season with approximately $8.5 million dead money.

» Over the Cap- New England Patriots 2014 Salary Cap and Contracts

I suspect a number of unrestricted free agents, Spikes and Talib in particular, may depart for "greener" pastures.

Hypothetically speaking, Bill Belichick may be looking forward to the salary cap situation for the 2014 NFL Season. The following New England Patriots players will be unrestricted free agents for the 2014 League Year:

Blount
Washington (if he returns after week 1)
Hoomanawanui
Edelman
Svitek
Wendell
Cunningham
Ninkovich
Fletcher
Spikes
Cole
Talib

The New England Patriots already have committed approximately $119.5 million in salary cap space for the 2014 NFL Season with approximately $8.5 million dead money.

» Over the Cap- New England Patriots 2014 Salary Cap and Contracts

I suspect a number of unrestricted free agents, Spikes and Talib in particular, may depart for "greener" pastures.
You kind of counter pointed yourself there, only Ninkovich and Talib - and to a lesser extent Wendell and Spikes really need to be brought back. The rest are just guys. Next year isn't a big FA year issue for us but we'll need money to re-sign some guys like McCourty this coming offseason then a few others like Solder, Jones, etc, a little later.

3 years is a long time in the NFL. Instead of needing a punter this offseason it's a non issue for 3 years - assuming Allen lives up to expectations.

You kind of counter pointed yourself there, only Ninkovich and Talib - and to a lesser extent Wendell and Spikes really need to be brought back. The rest are just guys. Next year isn't a big FA year issue for us but we'll need money to re-sign some guys like McCourty this coming offseason then a few others like Solder, Jones, etc, a little later.

And I have my doubts that the Pats will be willing to commit long-term to Talib at market value given his past issues. I think they'll let Spikes walk as well but of course they would need to find their replacements which may cost the same as it would to keep those two guys.

I'm bummed about this because I picked up an autographed Mesko picture last winter (long story.)

So I've read most replies in here and expected the usual bashing. It happens. But I've also read that he's a pretty solid punter which is a huge step up over Butler.

So I've read most replies in here and expected the usual bashing. It happens. But I've also read that he's a pretty solid punter which is a huge step up over Butler.

When Mesko came in, people were thrilled with his big leg. The Patriots, though, prefer to play the field position game to booming kicks that outdo the coverage.

Also, punting for the Patriots means fewer punts, but more punts from near(er) the opponent endzone. Last season, while 28th in overall number of punts, Mesko ranked 13th in punts inside the 20 and 12th in touchbacks. He did that while punting out of bounds only once all season and being #32 in punts returned and return yardage.

Once (if) he adjusts to the winds in the stadium, Mesko should do a good job for the Steelers.

When Mesko came in, people were thrilled with his big leg. The Patriots, though, prefer to play the field position game to booming kicks that outdo the coverage.

Also, punting for the Patriots means fewer punts, but more punts from near(er) the opponent endzone. Last season, while 28th in overall number of punts, Mesko ranked 13th in punts inside the 20 and 12th in touchbacks. He did that while punting out of bounds only once all season and being #32 in punts returned and return yardage.

Once (if) he adjusts to the winds in the stadium, Mesko should do a good job for the Steelers.

I like the big leg part. Butler, while accurate, was a little noodle-legged at times.

That last part, like you said, is going to be the make or break for this guy. Kicking in any fashion sucks at Heinz Field because of the conditions (namely the wind and turf) that come with the territory.

I hope he adjusts!

Yup. I seem to remember the Pats were none too thrilled with that muscle head Sauerbrun for using every punt to show off his strong leg.

Yup. I seem to remember the Pats were none too thrilled with that muscle head Sauerbrun for using every punt to show off his strong leg.

BB let him have it.

only Ninkovich and Talib - and to a lesser extent Wendell and Spikes really need to be brought back. The rest are just guys. Next year isn't a big FA year issue for us but we'll need money to re-sign some guys like McCourty this coming offseason then a few others like Solder, Jones, etc, a little later.

I'm seeing it pretty much like you're seeing it in terms of next year's FA class.

I think that a strong argument can be made that we'll always have valuable players that we'd all like to see retained, so I'm really not seeing anything different from any other year.

Predicting what's going to happen several years out isn't my forte, but I would expect that it'll be relatively flat for at least the next two years. Remember that the cap in 2011 would have been even lower than it was in 2009 had they not "borrowed" money from future years.

OTOH, by being somewhat frugal, and having so many UDFAs this year, assuming some/most of them pan out, that will save them millions over the next two seasons, which they can push forward into later years.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back