PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zoltan to Steelers

I don't know what Allen will do. But, the fact that he won the Ray Guy award twice doesn't mean anything to me. In fact, it would make me more likely to be leary of him than to think it bodes well for him.

That's like saying that you'd rather not have a Heisman trophy winner as our first round draft pick based on the fact that there haven't been many lately who have had good NFL careers.

The fact remains that Allen costs 1/3 of Mesko this season, which enabled a cap savvy team to once again shave 1 million dollars off the salary cap.

The other aspect is that Mesko wasn't going to stay past this year, so they decided to take what they perceived as a replacement for the future now.

I don't know what Allen will do. But, the fact that he won the Ray Guy award twice doesn't mean anything to me. In fact, it would make me more likely to be leary of him than to think it bodes well for him.

I don't understand this line of reasoning.

DaBruinz, you often provide a reasonable counterargument to out-and-out homerism on the board, but do you want a 'Mulligan" on this one?

Anybody have any idea what kind of contract Mesko got? He couldn't have demanded much at this point in the season I wouldn't think. Kinda makes some of the points moot if pitt locked him up for not much money.

Mesko wasn't amazing but if we take a considerable hit in the punting game this year because we're worried about retaining him NEXT year it's a horrible miscue on BB's part because we did have a very solid guy for this season.

I think that is a great point and I agree with it entirely.

My guess is that the ability to save 1 million dollars just this year alone was big, and since Allen apparently showed Belichick enough this summer, he decided to go ahead and make the move now.

To be honest, I'm much more concerned with the lack of an adequate inline blocking TE than I am our punter, but I definitely agree with what you're saying. There are other aspects such as whether or not Allen will be able to do as good of a job holding too that we have to take into consideration, so there's one more thing for you to worry about now ;)

I would rather have Allen and the extra 1 million that can be used to sign a veteran who may be cut and who can help us ... that's what we need in a few areas a veteran.

That's like saying that you'd rather not have a Heisman trophy winner as our first round draft pick based on the fact that there haven't been many lately who have had good NFL careers.

The fact remains that Allen costs 1/3 of Mesko this season, which enabled a cap savvy team to once again shave 1 million dollars off the salary cap.

The other aspect is that Mesko wasn't going to stay past this year, so they decided to take what they perceived as a replacement for the future now.

There you go making ridiculous assumptions because you decide to read what YOU think is being said and not what was actually said.

I said the fact that he was a Ray Guy Award winner didn't mean anything to me and would cause me to be leary of him. Nothing more. Nothing less.

He doesn't cost 1/3 of Mesko this season. You seem to overlook the fact that we still take a cap hit by cutting Mesko. Furthermore, Allen is an unknown quantity.

How do you know that Mesko wasn't staying beyond this year. That is just pure speculation. No one knew a damn thing about what Mesko's intentions were and that includes the reporters.

There you go making ridiculous assumptions because you decide to read what YOU think is being said and not what was actually said.

I said the fact that he was a Ray Guy Award winner didn't mean anything to me and would cause me to be leary of him. Nothing more. Nothing less.

He doesn't cost 1/3 of Mesko this season. You seem to overlook the fact that we still take a cap hit by cutting Mesko. Furthermore, Allen is an unknown quantity.

How do you know that Mesko wasn't staying beyond this year. That is just pure speculation. No one knew a damn thing about what Mesko's intentions were and that includes the reporters.

Belichick does ... and he's all that matters ... Mesko was cut ... so what?

we won with Lee Johnson, ken Walter and Josh Miller ... that's how important punter is.

Last edited:
Hopefully Mesko will be punting often enough in week nine that we can dissect and analyze every aspect of his punts.

In the mean time it looks like Steeler fans are once again being their classy selves.
Pats hater shirts

still hate this move so much

Since I initially brought up the salary numbers, according to Miguel, the dead $$$ for Mesko is a little under $47,000. Non factor.

Hopefully Mesko will be punting often enough in week nine that we can dissect and analyze every aspect of his punts.

In the mean time it looks like Steeler fans are once again being their classy selves.
Pats hater shirts

I still remember spanking them in their own yard on that cold day in 2004 before Lombardi #3. :D

Last edited:
Mesko was 28th in the league in punting average last year. 24th in Net avg.

http://http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/sort/netAvgPuntYards

How about you look BEYOND Avg and Net to things that matter like number inside the 20 and number fair caught and number of returns.

Mesko had 28 of 60 inside the 20, 19 fair caught and 23 returns. The returns were the fewest in the league. Oh, the returns also averaged only 6.69 yards per return. Good for 3rd in the league. But, yeah, let's ONLY look at Avg and Net Avg.

some fans wish their angst was moves made regarding punters. :yuck:

How about you look BEYOND Avg and Net to things that matter like number inside the 20 and number fair caught and number of returns.

Mesko had 28 of 60 inside the 20, 19 fair caught and 23 returns. The returns were the fewest in the league. Oh, the returns also averaged only 6.69 yards per return. Good for 3rd in the league. But, yeah, let's ONLY look at Avg and Net Avg.

Sounds like a 37 year old Tom Tupa

Fewest returns in the league might be partially due to his having only 60 times, 31st in the NFL. Also, his % of punts resulting in a touchback was 28th worst.

I really like Mesko as a punter, largely because we know what we'd be getting. But I think he had a down year in 2013, and the economics of the situation make it worth the gamble to move along now. The Pats punt less than four times a game, about one punt per game less on average, and many of those punts were likely in non-critical situations (blow out wins). I see it as simple risk-reward situation.

To be honest, I'd be more concerned about Allen's ability to hold on FG and XP.

that didn't take long. :snob:

We may be 4 time SB champs right now if the Giants punter wasn't able to pin us inside the 5 on multiple occasions (one led to a safety, one was on our last real possession where 10-15 extra yards from where the drive stalled puts us in FG range). That's just one example of how having a good punter vs. a crap punter can change a game. If Allen turns out to be more like Chris Hanson than like Mesko it could have a huge impact on some of these close games. Punters are very relevant in this game.

Really? You're going to use that? How about Brady made a bad decision, one he rarely ever makes. The O-line not being able to contain the Giants front 4. Welker and Hernandez dropping balls at crucial times, miraculous catches, etc., etc., ect.

Using punt positioning to justify why we may be 4 time SB champs instead of 3 is just ridiculous, sorry.

Really? You're going to use that? How about Brady made a bad decision, one he rarely ever makes. The O-line not being able to contain the Giants front 4. Welker and Hernandez dropping balls at crucial times, miraculous catches, etc., etc., ect.

Using punt positioning to justify why we may be 4 time SB champs instead of 3 is just ridiculous, sorry.

I never said it was the only reason for the loss, or even the main one. But it did have a major impact on the outcome, and it's just one of countless examples of how a good punter vs a bad punter can make a huge difference. Football is a game of inches and every advantage/disadvantage is crucial, and that definitely includes who your punter is.

If you're going to be the forum bully, then you may want to get some of your facts correct from now on, or at least increase your average a bit. If I had a nickle for every time you were wrong I'd be a rich, rich man.

You have a lot of strong opinions berating others when 9/10 times you don't have much knowledge of what you're talking about. The Dennard and Hernandez situations are prime examples of you mocking and making fun of others when you're out in left field entirely about what the process is, and what's actually been happening.

If Mesko was costing 1.3 million dollars this year, then what would you describe as "1/3" of that cost, Mr. Calculator? What do you think it's costing to keep Allen this year?

Here's a quote furthering the point from musketfire.com
:

"Mesko had just one year left on his deal, and he was set to make $1.323 million, and that’s a lot of money for a punter. Contrast that with Allen’s income, which was set at about a third of Mesko’s pay, and it’s clear that the Patriots planned on going with Allen as long as he kept things competitive."

Mesko's dead cap hit was approx. 47,000 so that's pretty much irrelevant.

The cost of top tier punters at the moment is in the 2-3 million dollar range, and if you base the past 2 contracts they'd average to be about 4 million per year. If you think that Belichick was going to pay our punter 50% of that then you aren't too familiar with the past dealings of the team.

I think that this is pretty safe speculation, and based on what Belichick's decision was, it would seem that he agreed on some level.

You're making way too big of a deal over changing punters.

Fewest returns in the league might be partially due to his having only 60 times, 31st in the NFL. Also, his % of punts resulting in a touchback was 28th worst.

I don't have this number available, but I'd love to know what the expected number of touchbacks for each punter is based on field position.

From the responses so far, it seems people are worried about a punter? Unless his name is Andy Lee, I'm not worried at all!!!

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back