PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will The Patriots Continue To Have So Few Coaches?

And 0% more playoff wins in the last 5 years
(I know I'm cherry picking but dang MIA hasn't won a playoff game in 23 years)
No problem.

You all believe that the patriots are right in having the fewest number of coaches in the league.

We are allowed many more coaches than we choose to have.

That's fine. We indeed believe that we play chess and the rest of the league (those poor fools) are worse off with their additional caoching help.
========
AGAIN, which teams do you think are teh best coached? How many coaches do they on Offense? on Defense?
The way you phrase your numbers is deceiving. In looking at the totals, its kinda a ******** OP

Zbl7NSn.jpg
???
I gave the example of MIA. ALL the teams have more coaches than we do,

Let's try the horribly coached 49ers. They had 12 coaches on Offense; we had 8. They only had one more coach on Defense compared to us, but then we had a HC who did the work of at least two defensive coaches.
=====
The BOTTOM LINE is that the chess master wanted fewer coaches in the house. That does NOT, does NOT mean that this will or should work for anyone else.

The size of the coaching staff is less important to me than the number of guys we have lined up to take over. Assistant position coaches, assistant coordinators, etc. Guys learning what they'd like to specialize in.

The appearance is that they want every coach they won't have to pay and no one from outside is desperate enough to run off with Kraft's Big Top.

Assuming his data correct ( he excluded fellowships, admin, wt room, and HCs ); he came up w a 23.25 coach per team average. Mean= 23, most common 24 (10 ea), and high was 27.

Patriots at 18 = league smallest.
(Last year was a weakness; especially noticeable when Klemm got sick. )

I would think they end up w more; but how much philosophy did Mayo inherit from both RK & BB: ……. Both believe in flatter organizations so the authority lines are not crossed or jumbled.
Here is an example of a coaching staff structure that I think is better than ours.

I note that I don't think that they have enough coaches on Defense. I would have an additional LB coach and an additional defensive back coach.

A team picking 3rd who has just lost a GM/HC that did several jobs himself might consider looking at other coaching staff structures. The Belichick structure cannot be repeated. Mayo is no Belichick; no one is. An, I congratulate Mayo for understanding this and doing a reasonable job of looking for coaching help.

Here is an example of a coaching staff structure that I think is better than ours.

I note that I don't think that they have enough coaches on Defense. I would have an additional LB coach and an additional defensive back coach.

A team picking 3rd who has just lost a GM/HC that did several jobs himself might consider looking at other coaching staff structures. The Belichick structure cannot be repeated. Mayo is no Belichick; no one is. An, I congratulate Mayo for understanding this and doing a reasonable job of looking for coaching help.
In comparison:
— Using the counting methodology of the summary guy: Your 49ers list; I count up as 25 coaches with 2-4 quality control” guys included. but I’m not sure if the QC should /shouldn’t count. (coach vs administrati).

I tend to agree that this would work better w & for Mayo.

I especially like the synergism of the combined titles: Ex. OL -run game coordinator. That the guy creating the blocking scheme is directing the RB’s lane selection etc.

the # of QC guys is interesting. Like 4 guys doing part of what Ernie Adams used to. (God, how much did BB miss him along w all the other brain drain.). Is there anybody on current staff you see in a QC role? Maybe SB on D side; otherwise I see it as a gaping hole.

In comparison:
— Using the counting methodology of the summary guy: Your 49ers list; I count up as 25 coaches with 2-4 quality control” guys included. but I’m not sure if the QC should /shouldn’t count. (coach vs administrati).

I tend to agree that this would work better w & for Mayo.

I especially like the synergism of the combined titles: Ex. OL -run game coordinator. That the guy creating the blocking scheme is directing the RB’s lane selection etc.

the # of QC guys is interesting. Like 4 guys doing part of what Ernie Adams used to. (God, how much did BB miss him along w all the other brain drain.). Is there anybody on current staff you see in a QC role? Maybe SB on D side; otherwise I see it as a gaping hole.
A gaping hole other than SB is a good assessment.

Lots more will be known when the last 3 HC's are named and we will know whether we have Josh and the Belichick's.

I certainly hope the coaching staff is much larger in quantity, and becomes superb in quality. Much like drafting well and keeping the roster as stocked as possible (so that if you can't keep a player or players for smart cap management) you have other players that are ready to step right in and keep the level of play at a high level (including if you have an injury or injuries, you have the players to compensate with little or no drop off). When we had a deep coaching staff back in the day, we could go from Weiss to O'Brien to McDaniels. The same on defense when one DC would leave, there would be another competent one to step right in and keep it going.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back