PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zappe not claimed.

I'd like them to take a peek at Nick Foles.
The zappites will melt down. Foles beat Brady, so.... he must be better than Mac.
Vintage Shrug GIF by Bernie Sanders

- most backups are JAGs
- it wa highly unlikely that any team would sign him to the 53 man roster ahead of a backup qb they had been observing in person for months, unless they thought Zappe was an incredible talent who was too dynamite topass up
- For Zappe to sign to PSs with another team he would have to learn a whole new playbook
- Bill OBrien did not choose to draft Zappe. I agree that new system Bob installed may not be well suited to Zappe’s strengths (if there are any)

I am not sure how anyone can judge if he is a fit when he played with the 2s and 3s. I still thought his pocket presence and movement/feel in the pocket was better than Mac.
Pocket presence yes I agree ... pocket passer no ... too short, accuracy needs improving, better arm for short and intermediate routes.

Zappe threads are like a bunch of men at a bar talking **** ... just without the booze.

Zappe will be the backup QB, he provided that last season, not a whole lot of backup QBs can win 2 games and provide some acceptable QB playing (given the circunstances) against Green Bay in the lambeau field, who knows if he started the Bears game which would be the right decision maybe 3-0 , that was a game with a lot of momentum changing to Chicago once it was obvious the Pats where in a QB controversy and BB screwed up starting Mac still injured...

I know he didn't look good this pre-season but there's a new OC, a lot of things are changing, he has time to improve or BB will bring another backup mid season.

Zappe will be the backup QB, he provided that last season, not a whole lot of backup QBs can win 2 games and provide some acceptable QB playing (given the circunstances) against Green Bay in the lambeau field, who knows if he started the Bears game which would be the right decision maybe 3-0 , that was a game with a lot of momentum changing to Chicago once it was obvious the Pats where in a QB controversy and BB screwed up starting Mac still injured...

I know he didn't look good this pre-season but there's a new OC, a lot of things are changing, he has time to improve or BB will bring another backup mid season.
I think Zappe needs more time under Obrien's system.

Actually he WAS claimed… by his girlfriend who is now his fiancee. Engaged in May. Had no idea I must have missed it.

She’s cute like Mac’s girl Sophie. Congrats to him.

1693432486236.jpeg

It kinda is. He's 1 step above bagging groceries on the PS. We can try to spin it all we want, but 7 teams wanted him on the PS, the other 25 were willing to let the guy be their new insurance agent. I think the guy is below a JAG at this point, from my desk anyway. Fitzmagic was a JAG. Gardiner Minishew is a JAG. Zappe is a practice player, as of right now. He could be on the 53 tomorrow, and he could be asking if you want fries with that tomorrow.
Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I guess we think of being useless and bagging groceries differently. It is reported the Pats were talking to Colt McCoy in case Zappe was claimed. Zappe had seven PS offers, Colt had none. I think the difference is that Zappe is younger and therefore people perceive he has more upside. Both are JAGs.

@ScottishPatriots wrote, "That's as close to being completely worthless until you're bagging groceries". I said I disagreed and thought Scottish Patriot was exaggerating. You said you kind of agreed.

Zappe will most likely be a career backup like McCoy (whose NFL life might have run out). McCoy has made over $25M in the NFL and is 36 years old. While I expect McCoy might be retiring, I do not think he will be useless or bagging groceries in his retirement. As Zappe had a multitude of offers, I do not think he is "as close to being completely useless until bagging groceries". I think Zappe will have a productive JAG career in the NFL. Maybe Zappe will not make over $25M like McCoy, but he will make millions and then move on to be a small business owner or another job.

I think we see "completely useless" and "bagging groceries" in a different manner. I expect Zappe will have a nice JAG NFL backup career which is OK and definitely not "useless unless you are bagging groceries" IMO.

I guess we think of being useless and bagging groceries differently. It is reported the Pats were talking to Colt McCoy in case Zappe was claimed. Zappe had seven PS offers, Colt had none. I think the difference is that Zappe is younger and therefore people perceive he has more upside. Both are JAGs.

@ScottishPatriots wrote, "That's as close to being completely worthless until you're bagging groceries". I said I disagreed and thought Scottish Patriot was exaggerating. You said you kind of agreed.

Zappe will most likely be a career backup like McCoy (whose NFL life might have run out). McCoy has made over $25M in the NFL and is 36 years old. While I expect McCoy might be retiring, I do not think he will be useless or bagging groceries in his retirement. As Zappe had a multitude of offers, I do not think he is "as close to being completely useless until bagging groceries". I think Zappe will have a productive JAG career in the NFL. Maybe Zappe will not make over $25M like McCoy, but he will make millions and then move on to be a small business owner or another job.

I think we see "completely useless" and "bagging groceries" in a different manner. I expect Zappe will have a nice JAG NFL backup career which is OK and definitely not "useless unless you are bagging groceries" IMO.
I know it's fun to say, but it's weird to talk about bagging groceries for a guy who made $1.4mil last year.

Didn't realize how absolutely brutal the cut would be for Zappe financially, though (at the moment, anyway).

I know it's fun to say, but it's weird to talk about bagging groceries for a guy who made $1.4mil last year.

Didn't realize how absolutely brutal the cut would be for Zappe financially, though (at the moment, anyway).

That is right. He took a huge pay cut I think. Probably factored into no-one picking him up? If Zappe goes to another team, they already have 2, maybe 3, QBs so he will be #3 or #4 and on the practice squad. With the Pats, Zappe is still #2 and can only stay on the PS for 3 game elevations and then he has to go back on the 53 and I assume the Pats have to pay him again? I am not sure how guys that go to the PS and then back to the 53 figure out their compensation.

He wasn’t claimed by any teams on waivers.
Right because he hast to be signed immediately to the 53 of any team and most have higher priorities than backup QB initially….

Right because he hast to be signed immediately to the 53 of any team and most have higher priorities than backup QB initially….
Wait. You think a lot of teams wanted him but we’re too busy to claim him?
Nobody wanted him instead of a qb they kept on their roster.
That doesn’t mean he is worse than any qb on any roster, it just means no team thought he was better than any QB on their roster, including the Patriots who choose “TBD” instead of Zappe

These 7 teams that were in on Zappe… nobody said they were NFL teams. Maybe they were CFL or XFL practice squads?

1693483774847.gif

Speaking for myself and not @ScottishPatriots, I think the term "bagging groceries" is a metaphor for whatever comes next in life after a young guy gets cut. Do I think the Zappe is going to be bagging groceries? Selling Insurance? No. More specifically on McCoy's case, I am sure Colt will have a successful career in whatever is next, should he choose retirement.

Zappe got a bachelor's degree in marketing at Houston Baptist before transferring to Western Kentucky and studying for his masters in Sports and Recreation Science. While I have no idea for certain, Sports and Recreation Science sounds like a fancy term for playing football. Regardless, he got his marketing degree in less than four years, so he has that to fall back on. I am sure he won't be selling insurance, bagging groceries, or waiting tables for that matter, should his football career come to an end earlier than he would like.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back