PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst defense in the league...how is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we seemed to do decent on 3rd down which is new. While our defense is in fact bad, I think we still win a ton of games this year as I don't forsee us throwing 4 picks in a game again any time soon.

Someone being positive?

Ban him now. He thinks we're going to win another game this season, he's lost his mind! Obviously he didn't witness us lose by 3 today!

I don't need to go back and watch the game.

1) The D-line was pressuring Fitzpatrick in the 1st half. That's how they drew the 2 holding penalties and forced the 2 interceptions.

2) I watched ONE play where Mayo "flailed" at Jackson. The Safety wasn't anywhere to be found until Kyle Love pulled Jackson down. The safeties were out of place all game long. Including when it was their responsibility to have over the top coverage (which happens in man coverage).. Not to mention their inability to tackle Jackson. (Jackson carried Sergio Brown 5 yards until Brown fell off him).

So, you can delude yourself all you want into thinking that the safeties weren't the problem. That is typical of you. I'll believe what I saw and what the tape shows over you.
Which plays did the safeties have over the top coverage? Please let me know how you get the defensive calls transmitted to you.
If you think there was anything resembling a pass rush, you simply don't know what a pass rush is.
Are you honestly telling me you think the DL played better than awful today?
Please name a handful of plays where they even showed up.

I watched Chicago vs Green Bay today and honestly Meriweather looked pretty good out there, knocking down passes and good tackles.. Where the F was that while he played here? man...

I think BB needs to have a serious talk with McCourty. This has to be a mental problem, you can't go from shut dowteeean corner to that bad just like that. Not at his age.

I know this is just one loss, but I can feel we're not going anywhere this year. If we make the playoffs, I doubt we can win a game.

Not defense related but I still think we need to give Ochocinco more time. I think he looked more comfortable today than in the first 2 games. He's still learning. One INT was definately a bad route on him.

I also watched Meri today, and he looked great. Stuck on the talented GB recievers like white on rice. Makes absolutely no sense with all the man we're playing. He wasn't even expensive either, that cut was premature. I guess Belichick would rather have some **** safeties that can't cover or play run support.

Last edited:
Have to agree.

The first pick [redzone] was atleast 3 points negated, +3 for bills.
The second pick was +7 points for Bills, with how our offense had been, a minimum of 3 for us.
The third pick [redzone] was +7 points for Bills, they drove 95 yards.
The fourth pick was +7 points for Bills.

We most likely lost somewhere between 14-20 points, potentially 28. I want to blame the defense too but we could have had 50+ without turnovers.

When you look back on it, its a total team loss. Brady is responsible for some of the picks, tips and bad routes for others. The fact is the offense gave up the ball twice in the redzone in what turned out to be a 3 point game. The defense was certainly a weak spot, and although I defended the offense earlier today, they should have put 50+ on Buffalo with another showing of nearly 500 yards and all but 10 of the Bills points coming off of our turnovers. Both units failed. I don't really remember how ST held up, Edelman had some nice returns but I remember some bad coverage late in the game too, nothing mind blowing though.
Despite the points swing all bar 1 of the interceptions have 1 thing in common; the defense couldn't shut down diddly squat when needed too. Same old same old.

Despite the points swing all bar 1 of the interceptions have 1 thing in common; the defense couldn't shut down diddly squat when needed too. Same old same old.

Defense would have had a 14-21 point cushion, minimum, without those turnovers so they wouldn't have been relied on for stops. The two redzone INTs were, in all likelyhood, touchdowns for us. We would have had 45+ points. Buffalo only scored 34, including a pick 6, with our offense turning it over 4 times.

Yes, Buffalo still had to drive quite a ways off of the redzone interceptions, and they would have had to still drive about 80 yards (which they probably would have anyways) had we scored, but the difference is that we have 7 less points on the board when they start driving.

I'm sure you realize that, though, so I guess I don't understand your argument.

Defense would have had a 14-21 point cushion, minimum, without those turnovers so they wouldn't have been relied on for stops. The two redzone INTs were, in all likelyhood, touchdowns for us. We would have had 45+ points. Buffalo only scored 34, including a pick 6, with our offense turning it over 4 times.

Yes, Buffalo still had to drive quite a ways off of the redzone interceptions, and they would have had to still drive about 80 yards (which they probably would have anyways) had we scored, but the difference is that we have 7 less points on the board when they start driving.

So it isnt the defenses fault because the offense should have made the defense not have to play? Want to rethink that?

Here are the Bills last 2 drives:

FIRST. We are up 7 with 11:27 left in the game. They are on their own 5
1) 15 yard penalty
2) 48 yard pass
3) 31 yard penalty
4) 1 yard TD run
This took 51 seconds

SECOND We are tied, they are on their 20 with 3:25 left
1) 29 yard pass
2) 12 yard pass
3) 38 yard pass GAME OVER
this took 1 minute and 42 seconds

When the game was on the line, our defense played 7 snaps and gave up 172 yards in 2 minutes and 33 seconds.
Aside from the penalties they snapped the ball 5 times and gained 128 yards (25.6 per play) including a 1 yard run, otherwise it was 4 for 30.8 per play, plus 46 more on 2 penalties.
I would suggest that there has never been a game in NFL history where a teams last 2 defensive series, up a score and tied, were less competitive than what our defense put up. Could be the worst last 2 drives in a 3 point loss a defense has ever had in NFL history.
Anyone blaming the offense here either has an agenda or is out of their mind.
The offense overcame the 4 Ints all by themselves, the defense only need to put up a bit of resistance when it mattered.

So it isnt the defenses fault because the offense should have made the defense not have to play? Want to rethink that?

1) 15 yard penalty
2) 48 yard pass
3) 31 yard penalty
4) 1 yard TD run
This took 51 seconds

1) 29 yard pass
2) 12 yard pass

When the game was on the line, our defense played 7 snaps and gave up 172 yards in 2 minutes and 33 seconds.
Aside from the penalties they snapped the ball 5 times and gained 128 yards (25.6 per play) including a 1 yard run, otherwise it was 4 for 30.8 per play, plus 46 more on 2 penalties.
I would suggest that there has never been a game in NFL history where a teams last 2 defensive series, up a score and tied, were less competitive than what our defense put up. Could be the worst last 2 drives in a 3 point loss a defense has ever had in NFL history.
The offense overcame the 4 Ints all by themselves, the defense only need to put up a bit of resistance when it mattered.

I'm not trying to say the defense doesn't have some fault in this game, but the fact is the offense turned it over 4 times, twice in the redzone, in a game that ended 34-31. Are you going to tell me we still lose with 0 turnovers? We win if the defense gets one stop or the offense has one less turnover. You can't pin this on one unit.

The offensive turnovers are worse than the defense giving up a drive, to me, because we lose the chance to put points up and give them up on D. Like I said, team failure, the offense and defense are both part of the team last I checked, so I'm pretty sure I blamed both. The defense gets as much of a 'get out of jail free' card from me as the offense does.

I'm not trying to say the defense doesn't have some fault in this game, but the fact is the offense turned it over 4 times, twice in the redzone, in a game that ended 34-31. Are you going to tell me we still lose with 0 turnovers? We win if the defense gets one stop or the offense has one less turnover. You can't pin this on one unit.
An offense that puts up 31 points did its job. Only one of the turnovers were more devastating to the defense than a punt would have been. You are implying that driving the length of the field and turning over in the red zone is worse than punting.
The offense did more than enough, you are asking it to do everything, while asking the defense to be accountable to nothing.
The defense was HORRENDOUS. It was one of the 3 worst defensive efforts by this team since BB arrived, possibly the worst.

The offensive turnovers are worse than the defense giving up a drive, to me, because we lose the chance to put points up and give them up on D. Like I said, team failure, the offense and defense are both part of the team last I checked, so I'm pretty sure I blamed both. The defense gets as much of a 'get out of jail free' card from me as the offense does.

The defense was pathetic. The offense put up 31 and gave away 7.
The defense was the worst I have ever seen when they had 2 drives with the game on the line. Have you ever seen 2 worse drives by a defense with the game in the balance? I don't care about stats, or yards allowed in prevent. I care about a defense that can make a stop when needed. They had 2 chances and failed more miserably than any defense ever did.

An offense that puts up 31 points did its job. Only one of the turnovers were more devastating to the defense than a punt would have been. You are implying that driving the length of the field and turning over in the red zone is worse than punting.
The offense did more than enough, you are asking it to do everything, while asking the defense to be accountable to nothing.
The defense was HORRENDOUS. It was one of the 3 worst defensive efforts by this team since BB arrived, possibly the worst.

The defense was pathetic. The offense put up 31 and gave away 7.
The defense was the worst I have ever seen when they had 2 drives with the game on the line. Have you ever seen 2 worse drives by a defense with the game in the balance? I don't care about stats, or yards allowed in prevent. I care about a defense that can make a stop when needed. They had 2 chances and failed more miserably than any defense ever did.

BB disagrees with you Andy. He said after the game that you don't win many games when you turn the ball over 4 times in a game.

defense is boring, I like it when we have the ball.

we win because of big Tom and his arm and stats. :eek::eek:

It's stupid that the offense has to put up 34+ points to win every week. Ryan Fitzpatrick shouldn't be leading a team to 14 points in less than 3 minutes. I don't care how pass-friendly the rules are.

It's stupid that the offense has to put up 34+ points to win every week. Ryan Fitzpatrick shouldn't be leading a team to 14 points in less than 3 minutes. I don't care how pass-friendly the rules are.

Without those Ints, this offense would have won with 21-24 points. They led DIRECTLY to at least 14 Bills points. Nobody's disputes that there isn't issues on defense, but lets not give TFB and the offense a total pass on sloppy play.

Last edited:

Agreed , this offseason we didnt use any draft picks and spent no money on the defense and this is the result.

Agreed , this offseason we didnt use any draft picks and spent no money on the defense and this is the result.

Ras-I Dowling is an offensive player? Who knew.

I'm well aware of the points swing and the cushions etc. The fact of the matter is is our defense isn't stopping anyone. They're being gashed with the pass, they're being beaten in the run, they just don't seem capable of stopping an offense and keeping them to a low score.

We went through this last season in the playoffs. I was adamant the defense could lift to the occasion despite being told, if we didn't create turnovers and play from the front, we would lose to the Jets.

I'm sick of relying on Tom Brady being perfect to win the game for the Patriots. He gets a get out of jail pass for today because he wins us more games than he loses us, but **** me it would be nice to see the defense do something for a change other than play "complimentary" football.

Injuries, personnel, scheme I don't care, it's been the same **** for a while now. I can only think of a handful of games where I've applauded the defense for an outstanding contribution.

Last edited:
BB disagrees with you Andy. He said after the game that you don't win many games when you turn the ball over 4 times in a game.

He is correct. But that doesn't mean he disagrees with me. He wasn't asked who is to blame for the loss, he was asked about Brady's turnovers. He also brought up the defensive debacle too. Nice try though, but as usual, you don't get it.

Dowling
Haynesworth
Ellis
Carter
Anderson

Looks like we used a draft pick, #33 on defense and spent money on almost an entire DL.

I'm well aware of the points swing and the cushions etc. The fact of the matter is is our defense isn't stopping anyone. They're being gashed with the pass, they're being beaten in the run, they just don't seem capable of stopping an offense and keeping them to a low score.

We went through this last season in the playoffs. I was adamant the defense could lift to the occasion despite being told, if we didn't create turnovers and play from the front, we would lose to the Jets.

I'm sick of relying on Tom Brady being perfect to win the game for the Patriots. He gets a get out of jail pass for today because he wins us more games than he loses us, but **** me it would be nice to see the defense do something for a change other than play "complimentary" football.

Injuries, personnel, scheme I don't care, it's been the same **** for a while now. I can only think of a handful of games where I've applauded the defense for an outstanding contribution.

Agreed. Although I do believe that Chung,Haynesworth and Dowling would of been enough to get us over the top today. But to what end? I don't know what to make of this defense even when fully healthy.

I'm not sure if we could just move back to a 34 overnight. We bring in Anderson and Carter to run some different things and now do we just bench them and give the majority of snaps to Wilfork,Ellis and Haynesworth? I was excited for the defensive change of alignment but must admit they stop the run a lot better and McCourty is able to get off the man coverage and keep the defender in front of him while in a 34 or cover zone. Although this doesn't solve our pass rush or the gaping belly in the midddle of the field it is better than what we have at this point. Maybe I'm just jumping ship too early and they just need more time and health to get this new look going?

Without those Ints, this offense would have won with 21-24 points. They led DIRECTLY to at least 14 Bills points. Nobody's disputes that there isn't issues on defense, but lets not give TFB and the offense a total pass on sloppy play.

Offense only know to Pass and that too only to 3 players - Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandez. Attempt 45+ passes a game as they have and eventually INT's will catchup with you. If for some reason BOB and Brady believed 4 INTS all last season will be replicated this year also then that delusional duo got a spanking they deserved today

Defense sits there picking their noses waiting to give up TD.

This team is toast, no heart no guts.. #32 ranked Defense and cant stop run or pass. Guarantee Raiders put 30 on them and win

1) 15 yard penalty
2) 48 yard pass
3) 31 yard penalty
4) 1 yard TD run
This took 51 seconds

1) 29 yard pass
2) 12 yard pass

Does anyone on the offensive side of the ball from coaches to players know that there is something called a running back and running the ball ?

Welcome to 2007-2011 Patriots version of 1980's Miami Dolphins....just fling it, pile up nice stats and W-L record and then lay a turd in SB and playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News