PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst defense in the league...how is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The penalty on Brown could have prevented the loss. Obviously can't blame him for all the yards we gave up, but the penalty on him, unless i'm mistaken, overturned an interception that could have sealed a win.

But its debatable whether we get the Int if he doesnt interfere with the receiver.

Really? Can you actually prove that having James Sanders starting today would've made any difference?

Sergio Brown has actually played very well these first few games. He had a bad penalty in the end zone today, but other than that, he's been very solid. Surprisingly solid, actually.

You're picking on the safeties because you personally dislike the cuts Belichick made earlier this year, not because you have actual evidence of poor performance in our current safeties.

We had one of the worst pass defenses in the league WITH Sanders and Meriweather last year. How does bringing them back change anything that happened today? We still played terrible defense, and more than that, we turned the ball over more times that we received turnovers.

HUH? Sergio Brown has played like garbage for most of the 1st 3 games. You clearly haven't been watching him play for you to say otherwise. Other than the interception (which is looking more and more like a fluke), Sergio Brown hasn't done much of anything. Other than miss tackles, get dragged around by RBs, and not actively engage a RB on a goal line stand.. Safeties are supposed to be able to TACKLE and stop WRs/RBs from getting extra yards. Sergio Brown doesn't do that. Not to mention that he's out of position more often than not.

James Sanders would, at least, be in the proper position, he'd actively engage RBs/WRs/TEs, and wouldn't shy away from the hitting.. So, yes, he'd have been an upgrade over Brown today..

The entire defense is terrible. Corners, safeties, linebackers, and the defensive line. They lack leadership too. Mayo needs to step up and get these guys together. Where the eff is the passion on defense?

I disagree.. A lot of the yards were because the safeties were not where they were supposed to be and/or couldn't make the tackle like they were supposed to. I mean, Sergio brown got carried 5 yards before being thrown off by Fred Jackson. It was a joke.

You should go back and watch the game. Look at the WRs covered by our corners catching all those passes. Watch the DL not breathing on Fitzpatrick. Watch the LBs flailing at Jackson or getting blown off the ball by blockers.
Aside from the pi, the safeties were actually the least of the problem.

But its debatable whether we get the Int if he doesnt interfere with the receiver.

Interference was in the back corner of the endzone I believe, the ball was picked off by ..Barrett(?) a few yards in front of the receiver. The ball was undercut, the penalty had no effect.

Anyone think its time to start using those full pads practices that Belichick has been saving up?

The entire defense is terrible. Corners, safeties, linebackers, and the defensive line. They lack leadership too. Mayo needs to step up and get these guys together. Where the eff is the passion on defense?

I don't believe the problem is a lack of leadership. I saw plenty of passion on the field today. That wasn't the problem either.

Where I saw issues was with Barrett, Brown and Guyton. One of the things that people forget is that James Sanders used to call the alignments for the DBs. And on more than one occasion, guys had said he was like a coach out there and kind of knew what was going to happen. He'd call the plays and they'd be where they needed to be most of the time.

Chung had, supposedly, taken over that responsibility with Sanders being let go. However, Chung wasn't on the field today and neither Barrett nor Brown were capable of stepping up and doing the job. Which makes sense since neither has ever had to do that before. And I believe that attributed to the mix-up in the endzone that led to the Chandler TD. That is the call of the Safety and the LB is supposed to respond. Someone blew their coverage after Ninkovich chipped Chandler and passed him back to the other LBers.

Right now, the Pats are struggling. I'll be honest. Rodney Harrison at 38, would be better than either Barrett or Brown right now..

You should go back and watch the game. Look at the WRs covered by our corners catching all those passes. Watch the DL not breathing on Fitzpatrick. Watch the LBs flailing at Jackson or getting blown off the ball by blockers.
Aside from the pi, the safeties were actually the least of the problem.

I don't need to go back and watch the game.

1) The D-line was pressuring Fitzpatrick in the 1st half. That's how they drew the 2 holding penalties and forced the 2 interceptions.

2) I watched ONE play where Mayo "flailed" at Jackson. The Safety wasn't anywhere to be found until Kyle Love pulled Jackson down. The safeties were out of place all game long. Including when it was their responsibility to have over the top coverage (which happens in man coverage).. Not to mention their inability to tackle Jackson. (Jackson carried Sergio Brown 5 yards until Brown fell off him).

So, you can delude yourself all you want into thinking that the safeties weren't the problem. That is typical of you. I'll believe what I saw and what the tape shows over you.

Dumping both Sanders and Meriweather, with only JAGs available as replacements, remains a mystery to me.

Last edited:
The Safeties were a huge part of the problem. We gave up 448 yards and the Safeties weren't a problem? They did not do their jobs.

Really? Can you actually prove that having James Sanders starting today would've made any difference?

Sergio Brown has actually played very well these first few games. He had a bad penalty in the end zone today, but other than that, he's been very solid. Surprisingly solid, actually.

You're picking on the safeties because you personally dislike the cuts Belichick made earlier this year, not because you have actual evidence of poor performance in our current safeties.

We had one of the worst pass defenses in the league WITH Sanders and Meriweather last year. How does bringing them back change anything that happened today? We still played terrible defense, and more than that, we turned the ball over more times that we received turnovers.

If nothing changed, why did we fire them?

Anyone think its time to start using those full pads practices that Belichick has been saving up?

Yes, if there is one thing the banged up Patriots need it's a full pads practice.

You seem to be hung up on the "worst pass defense" schtick. I have news for you. The Pats finished 8th in the only category that mattered last year. That was POINTS ALLOWED.

And Sanders was a bigger part of that than Meriweather because Sanders brought that stability to the DBs.. Right now, the Pats are amongst the WORST is Points Allowed with the defense having gotten dinged for 14 points thanks to the offense..

No, he hasn't.

No clearly they were throwing on our corners in man, and exploiting the LBs with RBs. Sanders and Meriwhether were cut for a reason. Are you saying BB just decided not to keep his best players?

Huh? You want to get 96 year old Lawyer Milloy back? How is not signing a guy because he can't play anymore spite? Or are you saying he should have been here ever since 2003 in the bizarro post?

I do question Belichick's move in cutting JS and BM. It was stupid, now we lack depth AND talent at safety.

No, he hasn't.
Outside of Chung with a sprinkling of Dowling, everyone behind Wilfork has been average to below average (Mayo included :() Mayo's been massively over committing for mine. It's opened up some big holes through the middle of the D for exploitation.

Last edited:
Outside of Chung with a sprinkling of Dowling, everyone behind Wilfork has been average to below average (Mayo included :()

I think Mayo has been solid, while I don't think Arrington can tackle worth a damn, his coverage hasn't been awful. Bodden and McCourty have been somewhat disappointing. I've liked Carter, and Anderson has done what he's been asked to do as well.

You seem to be hung up on the "worst pass defense" schtick. I have news for you. The Pats finished 8th in the only category that mattered last year. That was POINTS ALLOWED.

And Sanders was a bigger part of that than Meriweather because Sanders brought that stability to the DBs.. Right now, the Pats are amongst the WORST is Points Allowed with the defense having gotten dinged for 14 points thanks to the offense..

Our secondary in the second half of last season was pretty darn good with the exception of Butler against the Jets. :bricks:

We have passed on too many defensive players CAUSE they didn't fit our mode.
JUST DRAFT THE BEST PASS RUSHER ONE TIME!

Are you talking about Clay Matthews ? The guy that allows you to only rush 4 down linemen, thus making the CBs and the Safeties better players? Just wondering ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes