PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woody Johnson Clear Cut Tampered Re: Revis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think there will be ramifications for Woody's indescretion. How can Goodell ignore his previous holier-than-thou over-the-top judgements this time? It was smack in the face of his preceived bi-partisan overlordsmanship. If he does stay true to form we will see a swap of picks in 2016. That I would be OK with. This would follow in line with two previous incidents where he has leveled punishment. Like everyone else, I want swift and decisive action. This is something he has not done in the past pertaining to tampering cases.

Obviously, the league office will remain mum on the subject, and if questioned will resort to the typical "it's being investigated internally" sort of answers. To tell the truth, the worst thing that could happen with regards to a ruling in our favor now is if he did get fired. Then a new commish could come in and arbitrarily dismiss this case without the anchor of previous cases impeding his decision. For us, right now, the best thing is is if this current douchebag remains employed.

The precedence set so far is:

a)2008-SF tampered with a Chi player (specific-L.Briggs) SF relinquished its #70 pick to CHI and was given back pick #75 in the 3rd RD while forfeiting it's 5th Rd pick (#142) outright. (Interestingly CHI held the #143 pick, which turned out to be #142 in lieu of the forfeit). They accused SF of contacting Drew Rosenhaus (Briggs agent) about possible interest. Apparently Rosenhaus threw them under the bus

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3310056
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...559_1_lance-briggs-bears-permission-tampering

b)2011-Gunther Cunningham comments on 02/14/2010 led to tampering charges (no specified player(s)

Although Detroit regained it's 7th Rd pick in an appeal, they still had to swap #140 for SF's #154. In an interesting sidebar Detroit traded up with Seattle to aquire #57 (RB Mikel Leshore)
  1. #57: Seattle → Detroit (D). Detroit acquired this pick from Seattle in exchange for Detroit's third- (#75) and fourth-round (#107) selections. In addition the clubs swapped fifth- and seventh-round picks, with Detroit getting pick 157and pick 209 and Seattle receiving pick 154 and pick 205.[source 11]
  2. #154:Detroit-Seattle: Seattle selected Richard Sherman with this pick. That's right. Seattle obtained Richard Sherman through a trade with Detroit as a direct result of there draft positioning through the KC-Det tampering scandal. No ****.:eek:
  3. I'm gong to use the DraftTek Trade Value Chart as my guide, there are many but based on the #1 pick at 3000 pts they really are all roughly the same.
  4. http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp
  5. CHI received 30 Pts in draft capital (#70 instead of #75). SF lost 65 Pts in draft capital (The CHIreward can be considered more if you include the fact they had the next pick after SF had to forfeit #142 (35 points)
  6. Richard Sherman aside, KC only recouped 6.2 Pts of draft capital for the indescretion.

And yes, I made a couple of obnoxious posts to make sure this was at the top of the newest page.

While I'm on the draft capital subject, keep in mind this was an OWNER who was essentially reaching out to a Specific Player. This is unprecedented. My belief is the draft capital should be Significantly Higher or at least near equal to the 2008 SF-Det incedent.

I believe, in all fairness, the Patriots should be looking at about 25-40 Pts in draft capital. The 1st punishment was to harsh, the second punishment to low. Depending on records and how things shake out, I think a swap of 4ths, which would be in 2016, will be a satisfactory end result. After all, this was an indescretion committed by an OWNER.

Reactions: PP2
yeah...Woody needs to step up and OWN what he did!...or change his name to Owney Madden and open a new Cotton Club...

7183736488_259d49662e_z.jpg

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/je...one?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Gee - does it seem to anyone else that Bills Coach Doug Marrone - under contract with the Bills - may have had a pretty good idea he was desired by the Jets at the time he took the $4 million and opted out of his contract with the Bills?

So that's two instances of tampering in one week for Woody Johnson

Heck - if Goodell does nothing I hope at the very least the FCC fines the Jets owner for his obscene name!

While I'm on the draft capital subject, keep in mind this was an OWNER who was essentially reaching out to a Specific Player. This is unprecedented. My belief is the draft capital should be Significantly Higher or at least near equal to the 2008 SF-Det incedent.

I believe, in all fairness, the Patriots should be looking at about 25-40 Pts in draft capital. The 1st punishment was to harsh, the second punishment to low. Depending on records and how things shake out, I think a swap of 4ths, which would be in 2016, will be a satisfactory end result. After all, this was an indescretion committed by an OWNER.

Woody did this with DeSean Jackson last year too

Care to guess what his punishment from Goodell was?

Marrone grew up in the Bronx, plus has no QB in Buffalo, so a move to the Jets would be an.......

Oh wait, never mind........

Woody really can't go wrong PR wise, by hiring a kid frm the Bronx. I'm sure that he got the word to Marrone about his interest.

I think there is only one fair way to handle this. Woody Johnson and Bob Kraft should meet with the Omissioner together. They should then toss their driver's licenses into the air, and whichever one comes down as owner of the Rats gets a free pass on the incident.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/je...one?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Gee - does it seem to anyone else that Bills Coach Doug Marrone - under contract with the Bills - may have had a pretty good idea he was desired by the Jets at the time he took the $4 million and opted out of his contract with the Bills?

So that's two instances of tampering in one week for Woody Johnson

Heck - if Goodell does nothing I hope at the very least the FCC fines the Jets owner for his obscene name!
If there is any proof of this, the jets need an ass kicking of epic proportions from Herr Goodell.

I can easily see that pompous, silver spooned, miscreant rationalizing such actions because his team is so bad.

"Mr. Roger sir, we have been the laughing stock of the league for years! (References patsfans and the various jets suck threads over the years) Surely you can understand, a fellow jets fan. I need Revis, our at least out of the division. I needed some extra help finding coaches, so I bent the intent of fair competition a itsy, bitsy spid-umm-little. I knew buffalo had a good coach with an opt out, so I may have had someone call him. What would you do?"

Dodger Roger: "Hey woody (childish giggle), throw some lifetime PSL's to (extended family member here), and I'll just fine you a bit, it's for charity after all. I will also have to write you another mean letter."

"Gosh Mr. Roger, don't be too mean, you're my only friend! I find myself at the front row of the peasant seats, wondering if the fall would end the pain. Then I see your glorious face, underneath my desk, and I know in my heart that I must see that again. A mean letter might be too much!"

I think there is only one fair way to handle this. Woody Johnson and Bob Kraft should meet with the Omissioner together. They should then toss their driver's licenses into the air, and whichever one comes down as owner of the Rats gets a free pass on the incident.

I think other teams can take issue with Goodell on his tampering punishments as well... Buffalo for inaction on Marrone when it was reported on 12/27 that Casserly was contacting coaches under contract with other teams

But not just the teams who were victims of tampering where Goodell did nothing - if I were a team that lost draft picks when Goodell selectively enforced the tampering rules I'd want those draft picks back if he's not going to apply the rule equally

If you ask me, just abandon the stupid tampering rule period - agents will always know what the market is for their players or coaches... but stop selectively applying it when it comes up. The only criteria (as it is for all things Goodell) is the question of whether the infraction publicly embarrasses Goodell. If it does, Goodell over-reacts, such as a player wearing green shoes to draw attention to NFL suicides and mental illness, rather than going along with wearing pink to focus on breast cancer (which oddly doesn't kill quite as many NFL players)

Tthough even there - he turns a blind eye to things like domestic violence

Seems to me Goodell himself has become quite the embarrassment for the NFL these days

This just in from the NFL League Office:

Those unsubstantiated allegations of Jets tampering are SO 2014
We're presently busy defining new playoff regulations to ensure a fair outcome for Peyton Manning
Time to move on!

Last edited:
This just in from the NFL League Office:

Those unsubstantiated allegations of Jets tampering are SO 2014
We're presently busy defining new playoff regulations to ensure a fair outcome
Time to move on!

Heh...the league can try to play the Belichick words, but they'll never have the Belichick music.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...iolation-by-talking-about-interest-in-desean/
I forgot. This is truly unbelievable. This guy is an insane narcissist.

Or simply someone who just doesn't learn from his mistake.

That precedent should act in our interest, namely in that it went unpunished, which should add more capital to the punishment that is sure to be forthcoming, for this particular tampering. I am pretty sure that even though that infraction went unpunished, Woody was still issued a warning, that apparently has been ignored or forgotten.

Or simply someone who just doesn't learn from his mistake.

That precedent should act in our interest, namely in that it went unpunished, which should add more capital to the punishment that is sure to be forthcoming, for this particular tampering. I am pretty sure that even though that infraction went unpunished, Woody was still issued a warning, that apparently has been ignored or forgotten.
If there is no punishment enacted, the 49ers and Lions have every right to cry foul. Even moreso than that the Cheifs and Bears were awarded compensation. Simply docking the Jets a draft pick would be completely inconsistent with past violations and the fact that Johnson skirted the rule with Jackson it would basically be a signal to the Jets:Rules don't apply to you.

If there is no punishment enacted, the 49ers and Lions have every right to cry foul. Even moreso than that the Cheifs and Bears were awarded compensation. Simply docking the Jets a draft pick would be completely inconsistent with past violations and the fact that Johnson skirted the rule with Jackson it would basically be a signal to the Jets:Rules don't apply to you.

I would not in the lease be surprised at that signal
It's not like the league fawning sports networks will make an ongoing issue about it

Remember this is a league whose ONLY cold weather outdoor SB ever was in NY

Good question. A full day and a 1/2 has gone by.

I think with the league itself taking hits with the Rice, McDonald and Peterson situations, Goodell under fire the Suh situation and the NFL Playoffs kicking up, I suspect the league will do everything in its power to move the story to the offseason and eventually to the back page of the Boston Phoenix.

Goodell called the Jets headquarters to inform them of the penalty that he will impose, but all he got was the following voice greeting:

"Thank you for calling the New York Jets. Your call is important to us. No one is left in the office right now and we'll call you back as soon as Mr. Johnson hires someone to answer the phone. Have a safe, happy and prosperous New Year."

While I absolutely think Johnson should be punished for breaking the rule, do people really, seriously, think what Johnson said has any effect at all?

I'd argue that Revis's agent would be incompetent if he didn't ferret that information out on his own. I also cannot believe that agents don't get plenty of "tips" from "sources" in the organizations of most teams. So the practical effect of Johnson's statement is totally nil, IMHO.

I don't know how this thread made it 25 pages. He broke the rule but what he said warrants a slap on the wrist from the league at best. People daydreaming about draft picks are fooling themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST