PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woody Johnson Clear Cut Tampered Re: Revis

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys who watch the sports channels on TV please tell me how ESPN and the NFLN are all over this big story of an owner's blatant tampering with the NE Patriots star player. I'll be waiting right here...

A tampering charge was filed by KC. It took a year to resolve and, in addition, there was an actual (edit: alleged) contact with a player. The compensation was ridiculous (14 places from 140 to 154 on the exchange) and KC may have appealed the weak result.

A freaking year to resolve, a 'probable' (not a 'possible') case of obvious tampering. We are required to assume Woody is a dope, I'm not convinced of that. Further, we may have to actually file a Charge - good luck with Bob Kraft doing that. IMO only, we should publicly adjust our attitude towards tampering and announce the organizational change - but not actually do it (we'd be raped in the ass, as this is the NE franchise). The sooner Johnathon takes over the better. Finally, we should announce the resumption of the 'Border War' and actually carry it out.

Last edited:
Woody Johnson is an idiot, always has been and always will be. The dysfunctionalism of the Jets has nothing to do with Ryan, or Idzik who is a cap wizard (not a talent whiz) and who has actually done a good job with the Jets cap, leaving them quite a bit of cap space for next season.

To understand Johnson, I would highly recommend reading this book:

16044969.jpg

Woody Johnson is an idiot, always has been and always will be. The dysfunctionalism of the Jets has nothing to do with Ryan, or Idzik who is a cap wizard (not a talent whiz) and who has actually done a good job with the Jets cap, leaving them quite a bit of cap space for next season.

View attachment 7905

I'll look at it.

View attachment 7905
They do have a ton of space. If they had kept Idzik and hired a new head coach who was a good talent evaluator, and then USED all that space efficiently, they might actually have had some success soon.

But it's the Jets, so scrap the plan, blow it up and see how it goes this time!

C'mon man...WOODY JOHNSON....WOODY JOHNSON????...wassamatta, they run out of **** Hardens at the naming factory?...Woody Johnson...perfect name for this **** with no conscience.

They do have a ton of space. If they had kept Idzik and hired a new head coach who was a good talent evaluator, and then USED all that space efficiently, they might actually have had some success soon.

Johnson is an impatient kid with a toy that isn't working right because he's either too lazy to read the instructions or doesn't understand them.

Idzik was the GM. He bought the groceries, no Ryan. Having a head coach who's a good talent evaluator is meaningless if that head coach isn't picking the players.

Idzik had to go, in order for the Jets to get better.

You can't really blame Ryan for bad drafting as I really doubt he had authority to draft, or had much influence in the draft room. Idzik is not a GM as he can't recognize talent to save his ass (and didn't). He would have been best employed in an advisory capacity, or assistant GM, to handle the cap.

Again, not Idzik's fault. He was put in a position where he couldn't succeed.

You can't really blame Ryan for bad drafting as I really doubt he had authority to draft, or had much influence in the draft room. Idzik is not a GM as he can't recognize talent to save his ass (and didn't). He would have been best employed in an advisory capacity, or assistant GM, to handle the cap.

Idzik voluntarily took the position. He is definitely at fault.

Idzik voluntarily took the position. He is definitely at fault.

Well, technically yes, but would you decline a job if it doubled your salary, and gave you reins you never had before? Most people probably wouldn't.

With Seattle, his previous gig, he was only involved in the day to day football operations, including cap compliance, transactions, and negotiations.

Well, technically yes, but would you decline a job if it doubled your salary, and gave you reins you never had before? Most people probably wouldn't.

With Seattle, his previous gig, he was only involved in the day to day football operations, including cap compliance, transactions, and negotiations.
Of course I wouldn't, if I was qualified for it. And with Seattle he was involved in player evaluations but who knows how much. My simple point is, he knew what job he was getting, took it, and failed. The NYJ get blame for hiring him and he gets blame for failing.

Idzik was the GM. He bought the groceries, no Ryan. Having a head coach who's a good talent evaluator is meaningless if that head coach isn't picking the players.

Right, clearly Idzik is not very good at drafting alone. What I was trying to say was that keeping Idzik in his role, and bringing in a coach who could have a much larger say in picking the players, in the draft and FA, could've possibly worked. The coach helps to identify the talent and the GM makes it all work with the cap.

Of course, what I'm describing is sort of just the HC doing most of the work and the GM just being a cap guy only, but it might've been their best bet with their current situation. I certainly can't blame Ryan for bad drafting, but he sure didn't get much out of what talent he had, either.

It is obvious to everyone but Jets fans and their apologists on this site, that the idiot Johnson created a textbook case of tampering. In the past the POS goodell has not accepted ignorance or misunderstanding as an excuse for a rules violation as in the case of BB and cameragate. We shall see whether his slavish allegiance to his beloved Jets counts more than retaining what miniscule integrity and credibility he has left after the Rice debacle. Similarily, we shall see if "Ol' Get Along" Bob finds the courage to support his GM and coach and demand equal treatment for all. Otherwise, they can just throw out the rule book regarding the Jets. If he doesn't have the guts to stand up for his team, then he should turn over the team to his son and become a goodwill ambassador and full time toady for goodell.

I hope it doesn't come down to Kraft rocking the boat, because we all know he won't, for whatever reason.

Of course I wouldn't, if I was qualified for it. And with Seattle he was involved in player evaluations but who knows how much. My simple point is, he knew what job he was getting, took it, and failed. The NYJ get blame for hiring him and he gets blame for failing.

Why blame Idzik? He did exactly what was needed for the Jets. After years of Tannenbaum kicking the can down the road, the Jets were utterly ****ed cap-wise. They were going to suck either way, so Idzik made them suck in a way that at least cleaned up their cap sheet going forward. Sure, his drafting was far from ideal, but it wasn't as bad as Jets fans are claiming. Geno was clearly a "we have to pick a QB" selection in a draft with no good QBs. Sheldon Richardson has been great, Milliner has been an injury mulligan (they happen), and the rest have been below average overall. Even the best GMs have had two-year spans of drafting far worse than that.

His only real mistake was taking the patient, dilligent correct approach for an impatient and stupid owner/franchise. I love it, because it establishes a clear precedent going forward that displaying the patience necessary to build a real contender is a fireable offense over in New Jersey. The next GM will learn from this, and will sacrifice future cap flexibility to get to 8-8 or 9-7 or whatever. Idzik's firing was a perfect example of why the Jets will never be competitive as long as Woody Johnson's calling the shots.

You can get around an owner who is impatient or stupid, but definitely not both. Contenders aren't built overnight. I don't think Idzik will end up in New England because there's no need for him here, but ironically his philosophy would fit pretty well over here.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Why blame Idzik? He did exactly what was needed for the Jets. After years of Tannenbaum kicking the can down the road, the Jets were utterly ****ed cap-wise. They were going to suck either way, so Idzik made them suck in a way that at least cleaned up their cap sheet going forward.

His only mistake was taking the patient, dilligent correct approach for an impatient and stupid owner/franchise. I love it, because it establishes a clear precedent going forward that displaying the patience necessary to build a real contender is a fireable offense over in New Jersey. The next GM will learn from this, and will sacrifice future cap flexibility to get to 8-8 or 9-7 or whatever. Idzik's firing was a perfect example of why the Jets will never be competitive as long as Woody Johnson's calling the shots.

You can get around an owner who is impatient or stupid, but definitely not both. Contenders aren't built overnight.
His personnel decisions weren't good. His draft picks suck thus far outside of Richardson and maybe Jace Amaro but it's too early to pass final judgment there. Oh, and did you see his amazingly bad press conference?

I agree patience is needed to rebuild but he wasn't doing well at all.

Why blame Idzik? He did exactly what was needed for the Jets. After years of Tannenbaum kicking the can down the road, the Jets were utterly ****ed cap-wise. They were going to suck either way, so Idzik made them suck in a way that at least cleaned up their cap sheet going forward. Sure, his drafting was far from ideal, but it wasn't as bad as Jets fans are claiming. Geno was clearly a "we have to pick a QB" selection in a draft with no good QBs. Sheldon Richardson has been great, Milliner has been an injury mulligan (they happen), and the rest have been below average overall. Even the best GMs have had two-year spans of drafting far worse than that.

His only real mistake was taking the patient, dilligent correct approach for an impatient and stupid owner/franchise. I love it, because it establishes a clear precedent going forward that displaying the patience necessary to build a real contender is a fireable offense over in New Jersey. The next GM will learn from this, and will sacrifice future cap flexibility to get to 8-8 or 9-7 or whatever. Idzik's firing was a perfect example of why the Jets will never be competitive as long as Woody Johnson's calling the shots.

You can get around an owner who is impatient or stupid, but definitely not both. Contenders aren't built overnight. I don't think Idzik will end up in New England because there's no need for him here, but ironically his philosophy would fit pretty well over here.

Meh. His real mistakes were a majority of bad draft picks two years running and not bringing in players in 2014 when the team had $20m in cap space.

That kind of performance does not fly in NYC or when you are in the same division as the model NFL franchise.

His personnel decisions weren't good. His draft picks suck thus far outside of Richardson and maybe Jace Amaro but it's too early to pass final judgment there. Oh, and did you see his amazingly bad press conference?

I agree patience is needed to rebuild but he wasn't doing well at all.

I couldn't care less about his amazingly bad press conference, because caring about press conferences is exactly the kind of stuff that gets someone like Belichick overlooked. As for his draft picks, I want you to name each individual pick that 'sucks'. Because by my count, they mostly fall into the following groups:

Awesome
Sheldon Richardson

A QB pick that he was likely pressured into making in a draft with no good QBs
Geno Smith

Talented players who have been injured so far, so way too early to tell
Dee Milliner
Dexter McDougle

Rookies with a bunch of talent, but way too early to pass judgment yet
Jace Amaro
Calvin Pryor

A starter who tore his ACL earlier this season
Brian Winters

Jalen Saunders was a terrible pick. Shaq Evans might be too, we can't really know yet. Other than that, the only possible criticism that you can level at the guy is that he's failed to find immediate starters with day-four picks, which almost never happens anyway. By that standard, most GMs deserve to be fired.

As a Pats fan, I'm happy that they fired Idzik. He interited a godawful team that had hit on exactly one draft pick in the past five years and was in terrible cap position, and he put them in position to be competitive within 2 years. I couldn't be happier that Woody Johnson has established that he won't stand for such patience and competence.

Meh. His real mistakes were a majority of bad draft picks two years running and not bringing in players in 2014 when the team had $20m in cap space.

That kind of performance does not fly in NYC or when you are in the same division as the model NFL franchise.

1) See my above post. People keep repeating the "he made really bad draft picks" line, but it doesn't hold up under any kind of scrutiny. He's been really unlucky with how his picks keep tearing ligaments, but otherwise he's made 1-2 really bad picks and as many or more good ones.

2) Why should he spend a bunch of money for the grand aspiration of maybe going 7-9? The Jets were in cap hell. Now that they're not--on account of Idzik's actions--why should they be in any hurry to get back there? You don't sign a bunch of multi-year deals just because your cap space is burning a hole in your pocket. You sign low-risk value where you can find it--which he did with Decker and Harvin--and build through the draft.

Basically, Idzik was fired for the crime of only drafting one immediate All Pro in the whole two years he was given to work with. I guess the Jets expected him to step in and immediately have the 2010-2011 Seahawks drafts, but that type of expectation is so insane and monumentally stupid that it could only happen in New Jersey.

Also, you could argue that the Jets have drafted better than the Seahawks since Idzik left, which should really just tell you how pointless it is to judge talent evaluators based on only two years of picks immediately after the fact.

Last edited:

How does Rex get a pass on the draft. Do you REALLY believe that Rex has been a passive bystander over the last 6 years in the draft. If you believe that, you clearly don't know anything about Rex Ryan.

Over his 6 year reign BOTH of his GM's have been cap guys, NOT personnel guys. Do you really think Rex would cede total control of the draft to 2 guys who were both uniquely unqualified to have full control of the draft. Of course he didn't.

This perception is a perfect example of Teflon Rex at his finest. Remember this is the same Rex Ryan who threw his last THREE OC's (Shotenhiemer, Soparano, and Morningwig) under the bus, and got rid of his best DC (Pettine) Who paid only lip service to the concept of accountability. Who self promoted every chance he got. Who took credit every chance he got. Again, do you really think a guy with THAT kind of ego would simply allow Bradway and Idzik to pick his players for him and hope for the best? That's just nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back