PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woody Johnson Clear Cut Tampered Re: Revis

Status
Not open for further replies.
It only serves no purpose if when violated there are no consequences . I believe you are wrong if owners could publically solicit players under contract it would have a disastrous effect on the NFL .It would be like playing poker knowing what your opponent is holding. If you cant see this I cant help you. Just the fear of tampering has results. Allow it and watch what happens.

Please explain to me how an public solicitation affects things any more than a private solicitation to the player or his agent? Or a player agent calling up other teams and soliciting bids? (And yes, those are probably also covered under the anti-tampering rule, but good luck enforcing that!)

Please explain to me how an public solicitation affects things any more than a private solicitation to the player or his agent? Or a player agent calling up other teams and soliciting bids? (And yes, those are probably also covered under the anti-tampering rule, but good luck enforcing that!)
This is it for me. You must be kidding. Why do you think players bring their contract disputes public. Why does Coca-Cola spend millions advertising. Why do politicians say things they know aren't true to garner support for what they want. Getting the word out works. Ginning up support has an effect. If everybody acts like they want to dance with the fat ugly girl , guess what her stock goes up. If you really don't understand this then you must never have tried to sell anything

Why do politicians say things they know aren't true to garner support for what they want. Getting the word out works. Ginning up support has an effect.

There's a huge difference between trying to influence at the margins a mostly ignorant, overall non-involved public versus an individual player who has a very strong opinion of what he thinks he is worth and what he wants.

So why have an anti-tampering rule in the first place?

Are you advocating that all teams can simply negotiate in public with other teams' under contract players?

So why have an anti-tampering rule in the first place?

I already said why -- because the NFL doesn't want people seeing the sausage being made. Bad PR. And lord knows the NFL is all about rules that don't accomplish very much but are all about PR.

I already said why -- because the NFL doesn't want people seeing the sausage being made. Bad PR. And lord knows the NFL is all about rules that don't accomplish very much but are all about PR.

Well then, given your above argument, Woody Johnson showed his sausage on live TV Monday morning.

Hence, some form of punishment should be forthcoming.

No doubt that some type of punishment should occur, and that it was a clear cut case of tampering.

I don't know why punishment hasn't been handed out already. What's the holdup?

Well then, given your above argument, Woody Johnson showed his sausage on live TV Monday morning.

Hence, some form of punishment should be forthcoming.

I never argued he shouldn't be punished. As my first post in this thread said, he broke the rule (ineffectual at preventing actual tampering as it may be) and he should be punished for breaking it.

Imagine if Belichick told reporters he wanted Demaryius Thomas on the Patriots?

Good bye 1st round draft pick. Hello "Tampergate."

Dan Shaughnessy wrote this in his column today:

The Patriots are smart not to pounce too hard on Woody Johnson's stumbling comments regarding Darrelle Revis’s impending free agency. Revis’s path to New England from Tampa was “interesting,’’ as was LeGarrette Blount’s “transition” from Pittsburgh to New England earlier this season. Formal tampering charges are rarely pursued because — in one form or another — everybody does it.

Even though I don't recall anyone from the Patriots organization saying "I'd really like to have Blount/Revis on this team" while they were on the Steelers and Buccaneers, respectively, Shaughnessy implies they did. I guess when someone publicly tampers with a Patriots player, it's okay because everyone does it and the Patriots must have tampered to acquire some of their players. :rolleyes:

So I guess the league is just going to pretend it didn't happen. But of course.

Even though I don't recall anyone from the Patriots organization saying "I'd really like to have Blount/Revis on this team" while they were on the Steelers and Buccaneers, respectively, Shaughnessy implies they did. I guess when someone publicly tampers with a Patriots player, it's okay because everyone does it and the Patriots must have tampered to acquire some of their players. :rolleyes:
I don't even...

It's a shame that I long ago stopped reading his schtick because I can't stop reading it again.

The CHB is spewing his usual anti Pats garbage from his rear end. Nothing new here. Its a shame that the Globe has sunk to the level in its once great sports section where he , Mazz and Cafardo are present.

Hes just trying to grab headlines and stir the pot.

I respect a helluva lot more opinions on this board than I do his.

His opinion and views are worthless.

For any reporter to suggest Revis/Blount were tampered with makes no sense -- Revis was cut because Tampa didn't want to pay him 16m and Blount was cut because he started acting out.
If Blount was happy making less money on the Patriots from the start, then he would never have signed with Pittsburgh.

Disagree. Or rather, you're right about ego. But it's exactly the massive ego that won't let a guy like him be forced into selling.
Donald Sterling makes this case. Look what it took to make him give it up.

No doubt that some type of punishment should occur, and that it was a clear cut case of tampering.

I don't know why punishment hasn't been handed out already. What's the holdup?

The NFL is pretending it never happened.

The NFL is pretending it never happened.

Time to move on, I guess.

In the end, as long as they reach an extension everything will be okay, but I find it odd nonetheless.

Here is a blast from the past that many of you may have forgotten about...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4491142

'SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The 49ers have filed tampering charges against the New York Jets regarding top San Francisco draft pick Michael Crabtree, Jets coach Rex Ryan confirmed Monday.

"My understanding is they filed charges with the league," Ryan said. "I'm saying my response is it's not true. I mean, it's not accurate. It's not true, but, hey, we'll let the league figure this out."'

'What helped draw the 49ers' attention to the issue was when Deion Sanders said he knew two teams that were willing to pay Crabtree what he wanted. The 49ers organization grew alarmed at the comments, investigated and decided to report its concerns to the league.

Among the organization's biggest concerns would be that, if indeed another team had told Crabtree it would meet his asking price, it would greatly impede the 49ers' chances of signing their first-round pick. San Francisco was alarmed that another team -- perhaps the Jets -- had inflated Crabtree's expectations and compromised its chances of signing him. It is why San Francisco filed the tampering charges.'

The date on this article is September 21, 2009.

Interesting that just a few days later on October 8, 2009 the Rats acquire Braylon Edwards from their ex-HC Eric Mangini.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4538498

Not sayin', just sayin'.

Last edited:
As I initially predicted when folks here were excited about the breaking news of this issue, the so-called television sports media journalists have assiduously avoided discussing tampering running out the clock successfully. It's now officially labeled as that "old news" that nobody cares about. The sports media have learned their techniques well from their political coverage brethren. They decide what stories to bombard us with incessantly and which stories to bury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes