PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woodhead phase out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see Woodhead lined up as a WR more. Break out that "pony" personnel package

The Pats won their opener on the road yesterday...I think they should cut 25 players ..
I'd trade the team. I'd love to be a Lions fan so that I could ***** about Calvin Johnson not having a great game.

IMO everyone on the pats offense will have there time in the sun from week to week the only two that i think will be consistent every week is Gronk and Brady

IMO everyone on the pats offense will have there time in the sun from week to week the only two that i think will be consistent every week is Gronk and Brady

Yup. For all we know, Bolden might get maximum five carries over the next few weeks. Wouldn't shock me.

We are going to be running MORE. Our #2 running back (Woodhead) is MORE important, not less.

To me, Bolden looked like our #2 RB out there. Woodhead to me is our 3rd down back. He's a reliable pass catcher out of the backfield, just look at the TD play he made when Brady was scrambling. THAT is why Woodhead remains relevant in our offense.

But for a 1-2 running punch, I think we are going to see a lot more of Ridley/Bolden. By alternating these guys, we allow them to run their hardest on every snap without having to worry about either of them getting gassed. In fact those two ended up gassing the Bills defense in the second half of the game. After a while it looked almost like the Bills D had given up. Pounded into submission by the application of two brute force/fast running backs gashing them on just about every play.

I have a feeling that this MAY be the most talented 1-2 RB tandem the Pats have fielded since the 80s, which btw was also the last time the Pats had 2 100 yard rushers in the same game.

On the topic of Wood, I love the way he noticed Brady scrambling in trouble and broke off his sideline out pattern, running back inside, gets open, makes the catch and weaves thru the D for the six.

Not his fault that Gronk held, getting his clutch game winning TD run vs Ari erased.

Last edited:
Woodhead has a role no doubt, but it should rarely include running the football. Ridley and Bolden ignore arm tackles that bring Woody down.

I like Woodhead but I wouldn't mind if they tried out Vereen in his role. Could be a major upgrade at 3rd down back if he proves to be as good in pass protection and making the clutch conversions Woody made.

I think that's one position we can afford to 'experiment' at during the regular season. As far as the Welker 'phaseout' goes, I hope that **** ends for good now.

Yup. For all we know, Bolden might get maximum five carries over the next few weeks. Wouldn't shock me.

I agree .. we won't see that combo for a while ... We are just too friggen cute for sticking to what works ... "We are so smart" mentality w/ this coaching staff ... Remember towards the end of the game by the goal line .. Pats were gashing them w runs ... Oh wait, lets get cute and do a playaction .... Brady almost got a pic ... I tell ya ... Drives me batty ...

Ridley and Boldin are clearly "the men" but Woodhead had a couple of colossal 3rd down pickups yesterday against the Broncos (almost called them the Colts..)

Nice game from the big man, very Faulk like.

3-14-NE 11 (3:42) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 39-D.Woodhead to NE 36 for 25 yards (20-M.Adams; 51-J.Mays).

NFL Game Center: Denver Broncos at New England Patriots - 2012 Week 5

3-17-NE 43 (9:05) 39-D.Woodhead left end to DEN 38 for 19 yards (25-C.Harris).
NFL Game Center: Denver Broncos at New England Patriots - 2012 Week 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe