PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woodhead phase out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodhead went from 9.4 touches per game in 2010 to 6.4 touches per game in 2011. Maybe this is just the continuation of the phase out?

Brady only had 2 TD's. I'm wondering if they are phasing him out for Mallett?

With these 2 TE's they really don't need a QB anymore.

Woodhead went from 9.4 touches per game in 2010 to 6.4 touches per game in 2011. Maybe this is just the continuation of the phase out?

He wasn't 100% healthy in 2011. . . .

They used him less even when he was healthy, IMO. He wasn't as effective when he was used. Dropped from 7.1 yds per touch to 5.3 yds per touch.

He played in 15 games in '11, 14 games in '10.

brady only had 2 td's. I'm wondering if they are phasing him out for mallett?

With these 2 te's they really don't need a qb anymore.

lol good one!!!

Look at what he's being paid.

Perhaps it time to consider he's working his way toward a more natural role.

6-10 touches seems very fine.

Woodhead doesn't seem to have much of a place (or much impact yesterday at least) in this new look run-balanced offense.

It could of been just a one-game, game-planning thing, but I just don't see Danny getting nearly as much run this season.

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but it'll be interesting for sure. There hasn't been much discussed on this, and most people seemed to have missed a possible trickle down reduced role effect a dynamic runner like Ridley (as opposed to downhill 2-down runner like Lawfirm) would have on Wodhead this season.

Could it be that in his current role, the Pats are too predictable. Or maybe the league D has caught up with his running style a bit, or maybe a bit of both.

Anyway it'll be worth following his use and development this year.

If Ridley continues to be a stud, Woodhead's touches may go down, but he's still a very useful weapon out there, IMHO.

Maybe folks missed it but we have a new OC this season. Combine that with only 1 game so far it's clear that extrapolations can be very misleading, especially given that this staff is known for situational football, varying lineups and assignments as a function of the opponent.

With Vereen having greater size and speed, how many rep do you see Woodhead getting when Vereen returns?

I'm getting tired of defending Woodhead, but I just don't get the Woodhead disrespect. Sometimes it verges on on insanity. Every time somebody repeats the "Vereen is faster than Woodhead", meme I remind you of this:

NCAA competitive track timed 100m:
Woodhead: 10.5s
Vereen: 10.6s

NFL draft timings:

40 yard:
Woodhead 4.38s
Vereen: 4.49s

10 yard:
Woodhead 1.44s
Vereen: 1.56s

Vertical leap:
Woodhead 38"
Vereen: 34"

Woodhead is objectively a seriously better athlete than Vereen. That 1.44s 10yd in particular is an elite time. Maybe that's why he still holds 8 all-time NCAA records.

For those of you discounting stats, I give you Woodhead's 2010 season, which was one of the most impressive I've seen from a Patriots back in 40 years. His last year was pedestrian, and I have no idea if he can regain that form, but his body of NFL work is considerably more impressive Vereen's preseason performances.

I have nothing against Vereen, or Demps for that matter. I'd love to see them live up to their hype. But I just don't get the Woodhead disrespect. Lots of posters here are almost rooting for him to be replaced; I instead prefer to hope that he regains is 2010 mojo.

Last edited:
He was also their primary kick returner last season leading the way with almost half the return yards for the team. I'm guessing they want to limit him to ~1000yds regardless of how they come. I'd assume they're feeling out the role on this team for guys like him and Edleman.

Compare Woodhead's first couple seasons with the Pats to that of Kevin Faulk. They are similar players who have had similar production and importance. Woody provides great depth and versatility that not every offense has within their RB corps. Also, one must recall Woodhead's impact in the superbowl last season.

it seemed to me that woody became less important last year, after his amazing season two years ago

those are numbers that for some reason i dont see him reaching again, i dont know why, he's not playing as good as he did when we first got him

I'm getting tired of defending Woodhead, but I just don't get the Woodhead disrespect. Sometimes it verges on on insanity. Every time somebody repeats the "Vereen is faster than Woodhead", meme I remind you of this:

NCAA competitive track timed 100m:
Woodhead: 10.5s
Vereen: 10.6s

NFL draft timings:

40 yard:
Woodhead 4.38s
Vereen: 4.49s

10 yard:
Woodhead 1.44s
Vereen: 1.56s

Vertical leap:
Woodhead 38"
Vereen: 34"

Woodhead is objectively a seriously better athlete than Vereen. That 1.44s 10yd in particular is an elite time. Maybe that's why he still holds 8 all-time NCAA records.

For those of you discounting stats, I give you Woodhead's 2010 season, which was one of the most impressive I've seen from a Patriots back in 40 years. His last year was pedestrian, and I have no idea if he can regain that form, but his body of NFL work is considerably more impressive Vereen's preseason performances.

I have nothing against Vereen, or Demps for that matter. I'd love to see them live up to their hype. But I just don't get the Woodhead disrespect. Lots of posters here are almost rooting for him to be replaced; I instead prefer to hope that he regains is 2010 mojo.

Woodhead definitely times fast, but it doesn't seem to translate to on field speed. The short area speed is apparent, but when he gets open field he doesn't look like a 4.38 guy. He had a long run of 12 yds last year and 36 in '10. I don't know what it is, with his speed you'd think he'd break some deeper runs.

Queue the "Vereen injured again" thread while you're at it.
"Maroney is Made of Glass"

"IR Dowling is Made of Glass"

The next target awaits. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Woodhead definitely times fast, but it doesn't seem to translate to on field speed. The short area speed is apparent, but when he gets open field he doesn't look like a 4.38 guy. He had a long run of 12 yds last year and 36 in '10. I don't know what it is, with his speed you'd think he'd break some deeper runs.

In 2010 Woodhead had a number of long runs; he was indeed a threat on every possession.

But I know what you mean. It's possible that because of his small stature and even smaller arms and hands, carrying a football slows him down more than other players. Because a 10.5s competitively timed 100m is really moving.

Perhaps as a 3rd down back running against 5+ defensive backs, very long runs are not very likely for any back. The breakaway runs usually come in short yards-to-go situation where there are a lot of big bodies in the box and typically only 1 man to beat to score. Woodhead rarely sees those opportunities. Against a nickel or dime defense you can expect high average ypc, but long TD's are rarer because there are multiple DB's playing off the line.

The corollary for Woodhead is that he is rarely running outside. Most of his yards are between the tackles. And as Tedy Bruschi pointed out in 2010, he gets surprisingly good yardage after initial contact. But I've often wondered how Woodhead would do as a feature back attacking the outside on (say) pitches -- which I can't recall seeing with the Patriots. In college, that's how he racked up those NCAA record number of 200+ and 300+ yard games...

Last edited:
I don't understand this thread?

We clearly let Woodhead run for his usual 2.5 ypc average on Sunday.. He didn't catch any passes...

So I ask you what is different that is signaling this phase out of Mr. Woodhead??

imo woodhead has been phased out for a while now. Still a good piece to have for a big play now and then..but nothing like first season here

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes