PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Bruschi shut up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved this guy when he played here, although I am finding that my respect for him is dwindling the more he says about the Patriots on ESPN. This whole lack of respect thing in terms of going for it on fourth down, at any point, not just against the Colts, is getting old. Technically, with that rationale, NOT going for it on fourth would be disrespecting the offense.

If the defense wants respect, why don't they step up and stop the Colts at some point in the second half, and maybe they would have gotten a chance to stop them. Oh right, they did...

Sorry, Bruschi has been the heart and soul of the Pats defense for a decade. He has earned the right to talk. A lot more than some random message board fans. I can see how any defender would be upset when their coach basically says, I'd rather go for it on 4th down on my own 28 than trust my defense to stop the Colts in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Sorry, Bruschi has been the heart and soul of the Pats defense for a decade. He has earned the right to talk. A lot more than some random message board fans. I can see how any defender would be upset when their coach basically says, I'd rather go for it on 4th down on my own 28 than trust my defense to stop the Colts in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter.

That's all well and good, but as an analyst if he wants to be taken seriously he needs to learn to temper his own kneejerk, passion driven opinion with some rationale perspective. Both he and Rodney need to be mindful of their own lack of perspective where this team is concerned, and that cuts both ways. I saw that perspective from Willie last night on NFLN. He's become more detatched and with some distance (and alternate experience in cleveland) he seems to appreciate Bill even more now than he did when he left (and his feelings were a little hurt...). Again, the last time Bill trusted a big game lead to his defense in Indy they failed him. Tedy and Rodney were part of that failure. That once upon a time a long, long time ago this defense was able to meet that kind of challenge is just ancient history... That defense hasn't functionally existed since 2004.

The problem is, how are you ever going to find out if that defense exists if you never give them the chance to be tested? I think the shadow of past losses may have affected BB's judgment in this case. This defense has had a lot of turnover, it is NOT the defense of 2006 or 2007 or even 2008.

"This defense has had a lot of turnover, it is NOT the defense of 2006 or 2007 or even 2008."

Our current defense has done nothing but choke late in games, "play soft" either ALL the time or at complete irrational, inopportune times, and get exhausted well before most other defenses do.

The personnel isn't even the problem, IMO. It's all on the coaching.

Pees has made our defense a loser. It doesn't matter who you stick in there. Pees created a loser, and lose it shall while he remains. Conditioning is clearly a problem, so is lack of creativity.

We need to run Pees out of this town before we choke our next big game.

I think Tedy might be a little too close to the situation to see it that clearly..... Speaking with his heart, not logic.

I like what Brady said about today - look, Bruschi was on the field for the AFCCG game where the exact scenario happen. The Pats punted to Manning, gave him the ball with 2 minutes left and an entire field to cover. And Bruschi and the rest of the defense got run the F over. Just as they did in SB 42, just as they did in OT last year, or when they gave up leads (only to see the offense bail them out) against the Rams & Panthers in those SB. Honestly, Bruschi should shut the hell up in this case. The truth is, these were all scenarios of an explosive offense going up a gassed defense, just as it would've been in Manning vs. the Pats D at that time. The odds are in the offense's favor in that case.

I like what Brady said about today - look, Bruschi was on the field for the AFCCG game where the exact scenario happen. The Pats punted to Manning, gave him the ball with 2 minutes left and an entire field to cover. And Bruschi and the rest of the defense got run the F over. Just as they did in SB 42, just as they did in OT last year, or when they gave up leads (only to see the offense bail them out) against the Rams & Panthers in those SB. Honestly, Bruschi should shut the hell up in this case. The truth is, these were all scenarios of an explosive offense going up a gassed defense, just as it would've been in Manning vs. the Pats D at that time. The odds are in the offense's favor in that case.

Exactly. Bruschi and Harrison's pride are dictating what they're seeing here, but the simple fact is that they were the heart/soul of a series of mediocre defenses over the last couple of years who repeatedly got steamrolled in these situations. They proved that they couldn't be trusted to hold a lead.

Does Belichick's decision demonstrate a lack of confidence in the defense? Well, it's completely relative to your confidence in the offense, but sure, let's say it does. Some guys probably will take it that way. And if they do, if they're actual professionals, they'll take that as a wake-up call and a challenge. If they stomp around and sulk about it, then that says all that you need to know about them.

Out of all the mediots nationally, Dilfer sounds the most worked up and angry of them all. Perhaps he had $$$ on the Pats or something, but I've never seen an analyst go this berserk over something that happened in an NFL game.

Plus Dilfer was technically an offensive player. Usually those guys don't want to punt and want the ball in their hands. I find it odd that he's so angry about this decision.

Why should he shut up? Just because you don't agree with him?

I personally stand behind BB on the call but as a defensive player you can't fault Bru or any Patriot defender for feeling this way.

Bruschi on Dale and Holley explained himself pretty well today. He said if you have a heart of a champion, you live for the opportunity to defend your end zone with 2 minutes left and the game on the line. He said he would respect that Belichick was doing what he felt was best for the team and putting the ball in the hands of his best player (Brady) is a hard choice to argue against. He said it would be still hard for him to take because he always played on emotion to accept that Belichick would rather have the Pats win on the hands of Brady and not with him trying to stop Manning. It is tough for a player to sit on the sidelines and let someone else to try to win the game for him.

Bruschi said he would and the team will dwell on it on Monday, but Tuesday is "Moving On Day". It would be all about preparing for the Jets today.

I think Bruschi has some valid points and people are being too sensitive here. I can't help to think that if Belichick goes for it on 4th and 2 at that point that the defense can't help to think Belichick doesn't have the confidence in them. People focus on the negative though. If this defense has half the heart that Bruschi and Harrison had when they were here, they will use this to rise to the occassion and play even better to prove to Belichick he was wrong not to trust them. The Patriots of old thrived on on disrespect and could manufacture disrespect where there was none. Why can't they now even if the perceived disrespect comes from Belichick. I think this whole discussion could become a positive for the team.

Out of all the mediots nationally, Dilfer sounds the most worked up and angry of them all. Perhaps he had $$$ on the Pats or something, but I've never seen an analyst go this berserk over something that happened in an NFL game.

Plus Dilfer was technically an offensive player. Usually those guys don't want to punt and want the ball in their hands. I find it odd that he's so angry about this decision.

Dilfer only won a SB because of his defense. He probably has no idea on how to convert a 4th and 2, after never doing it in his career.

Dilfer only won a SB because of his defense. He probably has no idea on how to convert a 4th and 2, after never doing it in his career.

LOL

Nice to see Tedy climbing in off the ledge after having some time to put it in perspective...

That's all well and good, but as an analyst if he wants to be taken seriously he needs to learn to temper his own kneejerk, passion driven opinion with some rationale perspective. Both he and Rodney need to be mindful of their own lack of perspective where this team is concerned, and that cuts both ways. (.....) That once upon a time a long, long time ago this defense was able to meet that kind of challenge is just ancient history... That defense hasn't functionally existed since 2004.

As much as I love Tedy's and Rodney's passion as analysts they need to try to get a grip on that; they need to get out of the locker room. That said, they still don't lose well and that's cool with me, too :)

As to the bolded, +1 for that. It's the truth and I wonder if we'll ever have that kind of defensive team again. They set the bar and sometimes it's hard to expect anything less.

Last edited:
"In Bruschi I Trust" - the play call was a joke. Bill's bone-head results are starting to pile up.

1) Blowing 18 point AFCC game lead
2) Spy Gate
2) Losing SB to Giants
3) 4th and 2

"In Bruschi I Trust" - the play call was a joke. Bill's bone-head results are starting to pile up.

Maybe we should have gone for it there, not punted and left it up to the Bruschi led defense.

Bruschi is simply wrong. You are wrong, Tedy. Contrary to what he thinks, Brady didn't throw a pick six. AFTER the failed 4th down the defense HAD IT'S CHANCE. It gave up like wilting lettuce, allowing 30 yards in 4 plays. Never even forcing a 3rd down. There is no reason to think it would have been different over 70 yards than it was in 2006 when Bruschi, Rodney, et al, also let Manning go right through them.

And the amount of disrespect you show to a Patriot's all time great is astonishing.

How about the amount of disrespect he is showing for the HOF Coach that helped get him those rings that he wears?

Does Teddy drive on a one-way st?

Disrespect?
If Tedy was paying attention AT ALL, he would KNOW that BB was trying to win the game, he was NOT disrespecting the D, but he knew they were in trouble....those duck ints were flukes, and they drove down the field 79 yds TWICE in 2:00 or less for scores..He would realize that the D was struggling badly..

This BS from Tedy is actually disheartening, because if ANYONE knows that Bill is all about what will help the team win at any given moment it is him..

Bah

My problem wasn't going for it, but not keeping the clock going by running the damn ball........TWICE!!!
He made a tough call, that alot of folks never would have had the balls to make....it didn't work out..

2) Spy Gate
2) Losing SB to Giants
3) 4th and 2

Sure, nevermind that he was in the AFCC game and undefeated heading into the Super Bowl on top of the other 3 rings he's won. What more do you want? Spoiled fanbase.

Bruschi broke Bill's heart. He sleeps with the fishes now.

Last edited:
First, Tedy and Rodney have their opinion based their being outstanding defensive players on outstanding defenses. I respect their opinions more than some WEEI blabber mouths.

However if you look at the defense that we had on the field at the end of the game, no TBC or even Nikovich. AD looked like he was gassed.

Given that,would you rather have Brady,Moss, Welker, the OL, Kevin & Watson determine the outcome of the game or a depleted defense?Sunday night I disagreed with BB, but by early Monday morning I had to say that I now think Bb did the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case