PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Bill Belichick Trade Ryan Mallett?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I remember a backup who looked just like that before he got his first start for the Patriots. His name was Tom Brady, no.12 I think!

By that rationale BB should never cut any player who plays poorly because every one of them is a future TFB:rolleyes:

You draftniks are really DUMB.

The Patriots have a 35 going on 36 year old QB, that y'all think will play forever, or another 5 years. We can already see some deterioration of his long passing skills, yet you think its a good idea to trade an extraordinary talented QB prospect, that Bill Belichick's skill has brought to Foxboro.

Now he may or may not be a great or even good QB, but no one doubts that he has rare talent and size, with a rocket arm. Sure he can't run around like RG III or Russell Wilson, but he has an even better arm than Luck, and running QBs are exciting, but don'tseem to win anything.

In case you have forgotten, Tom Brady is a pocket passer and not a runner either. The only criticism of Mallett was an amorphous critique of his character, that was NOT buttressed by any facts, just press insinuations.

He has already demonstrated that he is not lazy, is coachable, and Belichik is impressed with his studiousness. He has not played much, but he is team oriented and works hard, given the numerous "Black Shirts" he was awarded.

In his time with the Patriots he has kept his nose clean; and to the grindstone, studying and diligently practising and learning. Sooner or later the Patriots will need either a backup or a replacement QB, and no one else is as close to being prepared to step forward, if needed.

The Patriots have a 35 going on 36 year old QB, that y'all think will play forever, or another 5 years. We can already see some deterioration of his long passing skills, yet you think its a good idea to trade an extraordinary talented QB prospect, that Bill Belichick's skill has brought to Foxboro.

Now he may or may not be a great or even good QB, but no one doubts that he has rare talent and size, with a rocket arm. Sure he can't run around like RG III or Russell Wilson, but he has an even better arm than Luck, and running QBs are exciting, but don'tseem to win anything.

In case you have forgotten, Tom Brady is a pocket passer and not a runner either. The only criticism of Mallett was an amorphous critique of his character, that was NOT buttressed by any facts, just press insinuations.

He has already demonstrated that he is not lazy, is coachable, and Belichik is impressed with his studiousness. He has not played much, but he is team oriented and works hard, given the numerous "Black Shirts" he was awarded.

In his time with the Patriots he has kept his nose clean; and to the grindstone, studying and diligently practising and learning. Sooner or later the Patriots will need either a backup or a replacement QB, and no one else is as close to being prepared to step forward, if needed.

The 2 best QBs in the NFL this year were 35 and 36 years old. Neither shows much "deterioration", as you put it. Any team that loses a QB of that magnitude is going to experience a significant "deterioration", no matter who steps in.

Mallett assuredly has value. No one's suggesting dumping him. BB clearly values him. But do you really see him starting over Brady in the next 2 years? And do you really see him taking over as the successor to Brady after 2014? If not, then he's likely gone, as he won't want to ride the pine forever, and even if he somehow agreed the cap hit of keeping 2 QBs with high priced deals (which it would take to keep him if the Pats convinced him that he was "the successor") would be prohibitive, so if there is an opportunity to get something of value for him (which there may not be), then it's not unreasonable to consider it.

The upcoming draft isn't a good one for rookie qb's. This might spike the demand for Mallett. I see BB signed Kafka to a futures contract. Cassel could be a bridge gap back up for vet min.

Do you think that BB will trade Mallett to some desperate team to better the rest of the roster? He may be able to get multiple picks.

I have learned to never underestimate the stupidity of other teams.

That said, I cannot see any team giving up enough to make me giddy. But if some team trades a second and third or something absurd sounding, I will be surprised but not amazed.

Normally I'm for decriminalization of drugs but your post is making me reconsider

Are you saying we should say "No" on principle to, say, Cleveland, offering us a good package?

Maybe it's not that we're dumb but that you're an idiot, is that possible?

As far as what BB thinks, you don't know any more than we do. I don't care what BB says to the press, he's very aware of effect press statements have on a player and a smart coach will use that to his advantage.

No one thinks TFB will play forever, we understand that the torch will need to be passed, some of just don't think Mallett is capable of filling those shoes, mostly due to his lack of accuracy and poor decision making. All the people who bash Mallett have other candidates in mind who they'd like the Pats to pick up, so the idea of an heir is not lost on them.

The 2 best QBs in the NFL this year were 35 and 36 years old. Neither shows much "deterioration", as you put it. Any team that loses a QB of that magnitude is going to experience a significant "deterioration", no matter who steps in.

Mallett assuredly has value. No one's suggesting dumping him. BB clearly values him. But do you really see him starting over Brady in the next 2 years? And do you really see him taking over as the successor to Brady after 2014? If not, then he's likely gone, as he won't want to ride the pine forever, and even if he somehow agreed the cap hit of keeping 2 QBs with high priced deals (which it would take to keep him if the Pats convinced him that he was "the successor") would be prohibitive, so if there is an opportunity to get something of value for him (which there may not be), then it's not unreasonable to consider it.

In this thread alone there has been several proposals to trade him for a passell of late picks. I never said that Mallett is a sure follow on to Brady, but but he is more talented than any QB prospect that a 7th rounder will likely supply. Both the 35 year old Brady, and 36 year old Manning, as QBs have lost a full year or more to injury. If either had another such an injury now, that may indeed be the end for either of them.

If you don't think Mallett is the answer, you should be discussing how to accumulate a pair of First Rounders in the the next few years to be able to trade upto draft for a "franchise" QB candidate.

At this stage of the Rebuild, the Pats don't need a passell of late picks. They are already young and deep. They need a few high draft pick studs to raise the frontliners play. In case you hadn't noticed, Bill Belichick shifted strategy last draft from numbers to quality. He traded up, instead of down, as was his usual Modus Operandi, for Jones and Hightower. :D

umm really? multiple picks? unless we can get a couple of 2nd rounders for mallet it's not worth it. and i d on't htink any team would pay that price.

In this thread alone there has been several proposals to trade him for a passell of late picks. I never said that Mallett is a sure follow on to Brady, but but he is more talented than any QB prospect that a 7th rounder will likely supply. Both the 35 year old Brady, and 36 year old Manning, as QBs have lost a full year or more to injury. If either had another such an injury now, that may indeed be the end for either of them.

If you don't think Mallett is the answer, you should be discussing how to accumulate a pair of First Rounders in the the next few years to be able to trade upto draft for a "franchise" QB candidate.

At this stage of the Rebuild, the Pats don't need a passell of late picks. They are already young and deep. They need a few high draft pick studs to raise the frontliners play. In case you hadn't noticed, Bill Belichick shifted strategy last draft from numbers to quality. He traded up, instead of down, as was his usual Modus Operandi, for Jones and Hightower. :D

I haven't read all the proposals, but as I've said, I wouldn't trade Mallett for chump change. It's up to BB to assess what he would consider Mallett's "value" to be. I think that by far the most likely scenario is that Mallett plays here for 4 years as Brady's backup and then leaves, and we will be lucky if we get a comp pick for him; and it may turn out to have been worth a mid-3rd round pick in 2011 to have a reasonable backup plan for 3 years. I think the odds of Mallett turning out to be Brady's "successor" are very low, and the odds of someone giving us adequate value are also fairly low. My calculus doesn't matter, only BB's does, but I'm sure it's not a late round pick. It will depend a lot on how highly he regards Mallett, how long Brady looks to play, how long he thinks Brady will maintain his current level, what short term backup options there are, and what long term options he has in mind down the road. I think it's hopeless to try and project what that calculus will be. If someone makes him an offer he thinks is worthwhile and the calculus favors it, Mallett will get traded. Otherwise, he won't. Right now, I'd bet it's a long shot, but not out of the question.

I never said that Mallett is a sure follow on to Brady, but but he is more talented than any QB prospect that a 7th rounder will likely supply.

How is that relevent? Mallett might very well be better than any 7th out there but if neither one are up for the job then you keep looking for someone who is.

My problems with Mallett (while playing at Arkansas) were his wild throws (also throwing too fast at too close a range) and I thought he would have benefited greatly from his senior year. Mallett did not improve that much between his sophomore and junior years. He improved on his speed in the short passing game, but not his wild arm. I expected more from him, especially with the WR's he had at Arkansas. The WR's dropped a lot of his nice passes while here, but Mallett flat out missed wide open guys far too often. He threw passes that will be sure INT's in the NFL. It will be interesting to see how he plays in the off-season - if he is going to have any value he will garner it there. Of course, I hope he earns enough value to keep in NE. He's got a cannon of an arm and I would like to see if he can learn to control it. Mallett devours film and understands the game/O/system - the reason I believe they drafted him. It is time for him to put up or shut up - I guess we will see.

Last edited:
My problems with Mallett (while playing at Arkansas) were his wild throws (also throwing too fast at too close a range) and I thought he would have benefited greatly from his senior year. Mallett did not improve that much between his sophomore and junior years. He improved on his speed in the short passing game, but not his wild arm. I expected more from him, especially with the WR's he had at Arkansas. The WR's dropped a lot of his nice passes while here, but Mallett flat out missed wide open guys far too often. He threw passes that will be sure INT's in the NFL. It will be interesting to see how he plays in the off-season - if he is going to have any value he will garner it there. Of course, I hope he earns enough value to keep in NE. He's got a cannon of an arm and I would like to see if he can learn to control it. Mallett devours film and understands the game/O/system - the reason I believe they drafted him. It is time for him to put up or shut up - I guess we will see.

I agree whole heartedly. :cool::):rocker:

I think a few thoughts come to mind with the Mallett situation:

1. This past offseason could pretty much be considered his first, or at least the first "real" one due to the labor situation last summer. He didn't get to experience the OTA's etc, and was likely limited in what he could even do. One would assume that Belichick will want to continue to monitor any progress that he is making, and therefore he'd certainly be here for at least another camp arm in the summer.

2. He's obviously very cheap and under a rookie deal, so it's not like it's costing all that much of their resources. I think if someone else like Kafka or another QB to be determined stepped up and showed more than Mallett has, Belichick would have to make the assessment as to whether or not Mallett was worth a roster spot or not anymore. I don't think that is too likely however, due to the complexity of the offense here and their lack of knowledge of the playbook, etc if we're talking about someone like Kafka or another potential QB.

3. What does anyone actually think that Belichick would suddenly trade Mallett for? Who is going to give us anything for Ryan Mallett at this point in time, and why would they do that?

To me it sounds like more pipe dreams from those who thought we'd get a "2nd rounder" for Brian Hoyer from a "desperate team." Mallett should at least be around for the summer/training camp of 2013 for another QB arm, and that's at the very least. There's still a good chance that Belichick is trying to properly assess him, although that could change in August if Belichick doesn't like what he's seen at that point.

AzPatsFAn: Hey!! Let's draft JAKE LOCKER with our 1st Rounder!!

You were saying??
icon_lol.gif

3. What does anyone actually think that Belichick would suddenly trade Mallett for? Who is going to give us anything for Ryan Mallett at this point in time, and why would they do that?

Two thoughts:

(1) At least one team made an offer in 2009 for Myron Pryor (before, of course, the Pats traded Seymour).

(2) Also in 2009, when the Pats wanted Derrick Burgess, Al Davis' original offer was Burgess for Kevin O'Connell and Sebastian Vollmer.

Two thoughts:

(1) At least one team made an offer in 2009 for Myron Pryor (before, of course, the Pats traded Seymour).

(2) Also in 2009, when the Pats wanted Derrick Burgess, Al Davis' original offer was Burgess for Kevin O'Connell and Sebastian Vollmer.

Sure, I suppose that you have a point in saying that someone may offer "something" for Ryan Mallett, that is certainly fair. I just hope that this isn't a part two of the ongoing saga of the Brian Hoyer (high round pick) story here on patsfans, that's all.

I just don't think that there is much of a reward for the kind of draft pick that he would demand at this point in time, especially when Belichick may have not had enough of a look himself one way or another.

Sure, I suppose that you have a point in saying that someone may offer "something" for Ryan Mallett, that is certainly fair. I just hope that this isn't a part two of the ongoing saga of the Brian Hoyer (high round pick) story here on patsfans, that's all.

I just don't think that there is much of a reward for the kind of draft pick that he would demand at this point in time, especially when Belichick may have not had enough of a look himself one way or another.
I'm more than happy to keep Mallett on board (I think his potential is huge and I'm happy to have him in the unfortunate instance that Brady is sidelined). What most GM's should be asking themselves is is Mallett better than any of the current draft eligible QB's? Looking at the field, you'd have to lean seriously to yes, he is.

Last edited:
What most GM's should be asking themselves is is Mallett better than any of the current draft eligible QB's? Looking at the field, you'd have to lean seriously to yes, he is.

I like the guy who replaced him at Arkansas - Tyler Wilson. Mobile, can make all the throws, and TOUGH. He needs to work on accuracy some, but he is better in that department than Mallett was when he left. I hope he lands somewhere in the NFL and can succeed - he should at least be a good 2nd stringer, if not a decent starter in time. I could see him going in the 4th or 5th - as high as 2nd, but a serious option in the 3rd.

My point was simply that buyer's remorse exists. Obviously, if a team made an insulting offer for Pryor (e.g., they had offered a 2010 7), BB would tell them to just pound sand. Ditto with Mallett.

OTOH, it's possible that a team that decided not to take Mallett in 2011 (*cough* JAX *cough*) might come to their senses and offer something valuable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft