PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why would anybody want Belichick fired in favor of BOB?

Again, if you want to criticize the last three years, I get it. But those years in Cleveland he put together a solid football team, won a playoff game, and appeared poised to take another step forward until the rug got pulled out. If you watched the documentary, you’d realize that. Had the team not moved and that last year had gone differently, it obviously changes things.

I get it, and I wasn’t happy about last years debacle and put that solely on him since those were his decisions. Clearly, this year is a key one for both him and Mac and it’ll certainly play a big role in how he’s viewed moving forward.

It's not okay to criticize Bill for Cleveland because it was too long ago. It is okay to give him credit though as he's a "team builder" o_O

I was around for Bill's Browns. I was around also for the 80s where the Browns made it to 3 AFC championships. The last just 2 years before he got there. Bill was fine there but it's not like he started with the 1990 Patriots.

He's a great coach. None of his peers could have had the 20 year run he had. Maybe Walsh, Gibbs and Landry could have had the same type of success given the same circumstances. Yes, Bill's had 2 unmitigated self-inflicted disasters the last 3 seasons. When the Pats finish last in the AFCE and trudge along to hopefully 7 or 8 wins this season, we can have the same discussion next summer.

I really thought the defense was a great example of "team building". That unit was a huge building block for this year. Also, this is probably a weird concept to think about as a positive, but I fell the terrible line play may have really helped with Mac's development going forward. the game was speeded up a siht ton and he was forced to read defenses better, mainly for self-preservation. I'm not saying it was intentional, but I am hoping it pays dividends this coming season. Humans tend to learn hard lessons through mistakes, there were lots of mistakes last year and based off of BB's track record I have faith in him to correct many of them going forward. Always an optimist/homer...it will always be my preferred way to enjoy my sports teams.
Also an optimist/homer here, as you know. I think one card we'll see this year is how/whether Mac Jones does incorporate last year's lessons and frustrations.

I'm a little pessimistic about Jones... my gut says he showed he will not be a "good little soldier," going outside his team hierarchy with his frustrations, and that is another thing to live down (just as BB has to live down the coaching he saddled Jones with, from Jones' point of view.) So there is poison in that well, from all points of view. I don't know how much. It's probably dependent on how much winning we do this year. Winning makes people much understanding of one another's trespasses :D I think a further decline will see some snowballing based on these seeds of mistrust. But I'm wildly extrapolating. I'm just another guy who's not in the building :D

So yeah, getting geeked again.

It's not okay to criticize Bill for Cleveland because it was too long ago. It is okay to give him credit though as he's a "team builder" o_O
I didn’t say it wasn’t ok to criticize him, I just said didn’t understand it given the context we’ve since learned about that period.

Again, definitely get what you’re saying and this season will certainly shape this discussion significantly one way or the other in terms of how people view him by this time next year. Obviously hoping it goes well, and for more reasons than this one :cool:

Last edited:
Than the Patriots of the 2020s thus far? Absolutely. One Super Bowl win trumps no playoff wins.

And many teams how parlayed sucking into championships. The odds are better that teams will suck for a long time. But you look at the Bills and Bengals and they built their current team on his draft picks. A smart team can parlay a year or two of sucking into a playoff contender.
I'm talking about this year's team. I mean, we can go back 5 years and both teams won 1 Super Bowl.

Everything counts.
But if your expectation was that he underperformed as a coach or GM given the circumstances he had to work with you shouldn’t discuss football.
He did a hell of a job coaching that team to 7-9 but his GM moves were terrible. Won't even get into the most obvious blunder leading into that season but the Joe Thuney franchise tag was flat out stupid as it cost us a third round comp pick and we paid a guard $14 million in a lost season. Thinking that Cam Newton was still a serviceable QB, drafting a kicker and two tight ends who basically never saw the field, and not selling high on Stephon Gilmore before he got hurt.

Out of all the posts calling for BB to be replaced, I can’t say I have seen someone come up with a viable replacement. I can’t say I’m one of those wanting that but for the love of god, I really hope we have learned from our mistakes, ie being unprepared for coaches leaving because he will be retiring. I really hope they’re at least looking at some up and coming coaches so we are’t caught with our pants down when he writes on a napkin that he quits…

I was pissed at Belichick after the Tom debacle but anyone who wants him gone is crazy.

Never forget the stone cold killer that watched disarray on Seattle’s sideline and DIDN’T call timeout while staring them down like a Wild West gunslinger.

Depending how things turn out with the pats this season, it will tell us what the future will be with BB with the pats.

So far he hasn’t accomplished much with the current team after Brady left town.

He did a hell of a job coaching that team to 7-9 but his GM moves were terrible.
And 2 years after this "cap reset" season ...aka ..."free pass because of Covid" season.....

The Pats won an additional 1 game while deploying $150 million of pricy free agents who were in their 2nd year in the system.

Than the Patriots of the 2020s thus far? Absolutely. One Super Bowl win trumps no playoff wins.

And many teams how parlayed sucking into championships. The odds are better that teams will suck for a long time. But you look at the Bills and Bengals and they built their current team on his draft picks. A smart team can parlay a year or two of sucking into a playoff contender.
May I ask what then are you complaining about. How often should the team you root for win the SB? The Pats won a SB in 2018, not that long ago and more recently than most teams in the league. You should be happy. The Rams were 5-12 last year without Stafford, much worse than the Pats have been, and will probably be as bad if not worse this year. It may be years before they make the playoffs again even with their boy genius coach. Or do you think the Pats should take the Jaguars, Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Cardinals, Bengals, et al route (too many teams to list all), multiple years sucking approach (the Bills missed the playoffs 18 years in a row) until they finally, by chance, maybe are able to hit on a QB? Or maybe the Steeler/Raven approach with an annually competitive team that can contend every year. One year missing the playoffs and you go off the deep end.

May I ask what then are you complaining about. How often should the team you root for win the SB? The Pats won a SB in 2018, not that long ago and more recently than most teams in the league. You should be happy. The Rams were 5-12 last year without Stafford, much worse than the Pats have been, and will probably be as bad if not worse this year. It may be years before they make the playoffs again even with their boy genius coach. Or do you think the Pats should take the Jaguars, Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Cardinals, Bengals, et al route (too many teams to list all), multiple years sucking approach (the Bills missed the playoffs 18 years in a row) until they finally, by chance, maybe are able to hit on a QB? Or maybe the Steeler/Raven approach with an annually competitive team that can contend every year. One year missing the playoffs and you go off the deep end.

I am not happy with the current state of the Patriots nor would I be happy of the current state of the Rams if I was a Rams fan.

I am not some ungrateful fan. I don't think the Patriots have some kind of birthright to be in the AFCCG every year. All I want to see is progress. So far in the post-Brady era, we have seen is mostly treading water. Last year was an unforced error on Belichick's part that set the team backwards. I would be happier with being the worst team in the league for a year or two if it meant that they would be working towards building a contender than if the Pats become one of those teams that are perpetually a middle of the pack team because the coach and GM are stuck in a mindset that is outdated in today's NFL.

The Rams could be in a better position to become a contender again than the Pats under Belichick just because they have proven they are willing to take the aggressive moves to make themselves a contender. The Stafford trade got them over the hump to win a Super Bowl. Maybe next offseason, they make a similar move to do it again.

The fact of the matter is literally nobody was going to be “happy with the state of the Patriots” for awhile after Tom left. That’s not a vibe you can replace.

I fully admit my brain was just going to automatically reject Tom’s successor as quarterback, and probably the one after that, too, until I’ve gotten to the point that I’m no longer comparing.

This is the post-Empire days. I expect NFL films to bring me more football joy than any live Patriot game for quite awhile.

Belichick is not the problem. The problem is the last guy basically went to the Super Bowl 50% of the seasons he played.

I would not necessarily be in favor of it. However, Mac Jones is the greatest QB in franchise history by a wide margin, and he would be able to carry BOB to multiple Super Bowl victories.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back