PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why We'll All LOVE Laurence Maroney next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I whole heartedly agree. Maroney is being spared the hard and heavy goalline contact, and short yardage stuff to avoid the unnessecary pounding. And that obviously contributes to his not having yet scored. But its been successful because he's staying healthy. Imo, behind Brady and a couple of others, he's the most important member of this team right now. We need him to maintain that balance to keep Ds honest. Some may think Maroney's played poorly. Im not one of them. I appreciate how well he's played. I just know how much better the kid's going to continue to get. Maroney's only 22. His best days are definitely ahead of him.

right on

its fun waiting for him to break one--because I am that confident that he will

Ummm, it's called UPGRADING the position. If you have a chance to replace Maroney with LT, than you do it. Bottom line. Now nobody knows if McFadden will be the next LT or franchise RB, but if he is the highest-rated player on our draft board and we can take him than we should. Maroney is a nice RB. Top 15, maybe Top 10 caliber. However, he is nowhere close to being an all-pro or franchise RB. Anyone who thinks he is needs to take off the rose colored glasses. Franchise RB's find the end zone. Franchise RB's can get to the end zone from anywhere on the field. Hell, Sammy friggen Morris was averaging 4.7 ypc in this offense. Maroney is solid, but McFadden has the potential to be off the charts.

Last edited:
A top RB needs to be able to be a workhorse(20-25 carries/game), gain the difficult yards (3rd and short, goal line), and catch the ball. Unfortunately, LM doesn't thrive in any of these categories. BB only utilizes him against neutral defenses. Nothing wrong with that...and who can argue with the Patriots success. But the fact remains that BB/McDaniels show no faith in LM at the goal line. Since Morris went down, the goal line offense has consisted of Brady pass, Brady sneak, and Evans for no gain. These facts cannot be argued. What can be argued is that maybe the O Line just isn't designed for smashmouth football, considering Evans lack of success.

We currently have three guys on the team we like to see lining up next to Brady:

* Maroney
* Morris -- had never been featured in his life, and was knocked out for the season after not all that many carries
* Faulk -- a bit fragile, and will at some point age

I think there's plenty of value in adding McFadden. The era of the single workhorse back is pretty much over.

Ummm, it's called UPGRADING the position. If you have a chance to replace Maroney with LT, than you do it. Bottom line. Now nobody knows if McFadden will be the next LT or franchise RB, but if he is the highest-rated player on our draft board and we can take him than we should. Maroney is a nice RB. Top 15, maybe Top 10 caliber. However, he is nowhere close to being an all-pro or franchise RB. Anyone who thinks he is needs to take off the rose colored glasses. Franchise RB's find the end zone. Franchise RB's can get to the end zone from anywhere on the field. Hell, Sammy friggen Morris was averaging 4.7 ypc in this offense. Maroney is solid, but McFadden has the potential to be off the charts.

This is a valid statement, but I think there are some factors that should be considered. Youth and depth are not a concern at halfback like it is at other positons, namely inside linebacker. I feel that by trading down with a team set on McFadden is a far more prudent decision. Top five pick money is a lot of money, especially to a halfback, and especially when you already have three highly capable halfbacks on the roster. By making this move, money is saved, the team remains in position to take a high-level prospect at ILB, and potentially add a future high level strong safety.

In my opinion, Maroney is a very good halfback. His skills are very complimentary to Sammy Morris. I philosophically disagree with a 25-30 carry a game back, so I feel that Maroney is ideal for a situational back system. It's very rare to find a back who can handle the responsibilites of being an every down guy. I mean, do you really want your 230 pound hammer running wheel routes on third down? Do you want your 185 pounder with joystick agility hammering the ball? Backs have different skill sets and should be utilized accordingly. The three back system enables the backs to remain fresh and combine to wear a defense down over time. I think the primary question is "Are the backs good enough?". I think that the answer is an emphatic yes. If we're pontificating about how Maroney hasn't developed into a top 10 running back at age 22, then we are pretty fortunate.

Last edited:
:eat3: buyin' the logic?

No, to say that they aren't running Maroney on the goalline to limit the contact he receives is funny. There are only three positions on a football team where you avoid contact, punter, kicker and QB.

RB is a contact-heavy position...I don't think BB would allow the offense to be coached that way. I mean, he puts a 38 year old LB in at the FB position on the goalline. Why would you design running plays to limit the contact a RB receives?

When I watch McFadden run the ball, I dont see LT. I see a WR. Im sure someone will take him in the top 5. I just hope it isnt NE.

This is a valid statement, but I think there are some factors that should be considered. Youth and depth are not a concern at halfback like it is at other positons, namely inside linebacker. I feel that by trading down with a team set on McFadden is a far more prudent decision. Top five pick money is a lot of money, especially to a halfback, and especially when you already have three highly capable halfbacks on the roster. By making this move, money is saved, the team remains in position to take a high-level prospect at ILB, and potentially add a future high level strong safety.

In my opinion, Maroney is a very good halfback. His skills are very complimentary to Sammy Morris. I philosophically disagree with a 25-30 carry a game back, so I feel that Maroney is ideal for a situational back system. It's very rare to find a back who can handle the responsibilites of being an every down guy. I mean, do you really want your 230 pound hammer running wheel routes on third down? Do you want your 185 pounder with joystick agility hammering the ball? Backs have different skill sets and should be utilized accordingly. The three back system enables the backs to remain fresh and combine to wear a defense down over time.

Good points and I agree IF the Pats are set on sharing the load at RB like they have the past 2 season with Dillon-Maroney and Maroney-Morris. However, that is not the way we operated in 2004 when we brought in Correy Dillion and gave him 345 carries. If we have the HORSE, than BB has shown he has no problem giving him the rock 20 plus times a game. If we don't have the HORSE or the HORSE hasn't shown he can stay healthy(ie Maroney), than BB has shown he will split the load to keep him healthy. I don't think BB would turn down Walter Payton or Emmit Smith in their prime so I don't think we can automatically assume BB is set 100% on this split the load running game. If BB and Pioli feel McFadden is simply too good to pass up, than that is who I feel they will take.

Last edited:
When I watch McFadden run the ball, I dont see LT. I see a WR. Im sure someone will take him in the top 5. I just hope it isnt NE.

How many times have you seen him play????? Obviously not many. The guy is a HORSE. 6-2, 215 and either runs by you or over you. I've seen this guy carry 3 guys into the end zone in the S E friggen C. The guy is a flat out stud and a half.

No, to say that they aren't running Maroney on the goalline to limit the contact he receives is funny. There are only three positions on a football team where you avoid contact, punter, kicker and QB.

RB is a contact-heavy position...I don't think BB would allow the offense to be coached that way. I mean, he puts a 38 year old LB in at the FB position on the goalline. Why would you design running plays to limit the contact a RB receives?

Youd only do it when youre paper thin at the position. And right now, theyre paper thin. BB is a smart guy. He knows if he loses Laurence, he's in big trouble. Im not saying he designs plays to limit contact. Im saying he chooses the players he's putting in those situations very carefully. Which is why you dont see Maroney in on much of that goalline action.

There you go--making that argument. Just because Maroney isn't given the opportunity to carry the ball in goal-line situations or being thrown to 10 times a game or carried the ball 30+ times per game--he must be incapable of these things.

This makes no sense. If he was getting stuffed at the goalline constantly, dropping passes and averaging <3ypc for 30+ carries/game, you'd have proof of his inability. But this isn't the case. And it is my contention that his role is defined by offensive philosophy and not by his limitations in health or skill.

Youd only do it when youre paper thin at the position. And right now, theyre paper thin. BB is a smart guy. He knows if he loses Laurence, he's in big trouble. Im not saying he designs plays to limit contact. Im saying he chooses the players he's putting in those situations very carefully. Which is why you dont see Maroney in on much of that goalline action.

Tough arguement to win ...when BB uses Brady as the RB on the goal line

Good points and I agree IF the Pats are set on sharing the load at RB like they have the past 2 season with Dillon-Maroney and Maroney-Morris. However, that is not the way we operated in 2004 when we brought in Correy Dillion and gave him 345 carries. If we have the HORSE, than BB has shown he has no problem giving him the rock 20 plus times a game. If we don't have the HORSE or the HORSE hasn't shown he can stay healthy(ie Maroney), than BB has shown he will split the load to keep him healthy. I don't think BB would turn down Walter Payton or Emmit Smith in their prime so I don't think we can automatically assume BB is set 100% on this split the load running game. If BB and Pioli feel McFadden is simply too good to pass up, than that is who I feel they will take.

what happened last season is not necessarily pertinent to this season--the team has almost entirely overhauled the offensive design--top-flight wide receivers corps, zone blocking scheme, score fast-score plenty mentality.

why would the same 'HORSE' mentality remain?

i don't think it has. i don't think Belichick and McDaniel's went into this season looking to have a workhorse back. nothing--NOTHING i have seen this season has indicated a desire or need for a workhorse back. and the team is 9-0 and setting records.

Tough arguement to win ...when BB uses Brady as the RB on the goal line

come on borg--you know the QB sneak isn't a QB as RB play--they aren't running the option--the QB sneak is a rudimentary trick play

How many times have you seen him play????? Obviously not many. The guy is a HORSE. 6-2, 215 and either runs by you or over you. I've seen this guy carry 3 guys into the end zone in the S E friggen C. The guy is a flat out stud and a half.

That's the beautiful thing about opinions. Theyre bound to differ. I just dont like RBs that tall. He's got long, thin legs for a RB. Those legs are gonna be a huge target in the pros. He's going to be injury prone. And I dont wish any ill will on him at all. But drafting in the top 5, youre talking about HUGE money. And the RB position is already a high-risk position as it is. Most of the more successful teams in the NFL, including NE, run the position by committee so they dont have to committ huge money to one player. So they can afford to have quality depth in case any of those guys goes down. Its worked for the Pats to this point, and Id only speculate its what they'll continue to do.

come on borg--you know the QB sneak isn't a QB as RB play--they aren't running the option--the QB sneak is a rudimentary trick play

Not sure of your logic. Are you saying because it is a trick play, the DL/LBs/Ss tackle more softly verses when a RB carries from the backfield?

Last edited:
Laurence Maroney DOES break tackles. All the time. He was one of the top RBs last year at yards after first contact.

So funny how you write this in every Maroney thread that is started.

True, I mean, look at some Vick or Grogan highlights.

Yes, I know the QB gets credit for the rushing yards on his stat sheet.

Not sure of your logic. Are you saying because it is a trick play, the DL/LBs/Ss tackle more softly verses when a RB carries from the backfield?

perhaps I misinterpreted your point. mine was that a QB sneak is a deception play--not a single RB out of the backfield. hard to compare the QB sneak with an obvious goalline running play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back