PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why We'll All LOVE Laurence Maroney next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps I misinterpreted your point. mine was that a QB sneak is a deception play--not a single RB out of the backfield. hard to compare the QB sneak with an obvious goalline running play.

The difference I interpreted from what the point you were making is that Brady is just tucking it in behind a lineman, picking a spot and digging for a yard without everyone on the line looking for it, and without multiple LBs throwing themself at him looking to take his head off. When a HB smash or dive is called, youve got multiple backers and basically every defender on the team looking to smash the guy. Keep sneaking Brady! He's the best in the NFL at it anyway.

perhaps I misinterpreted your point. mine was that a QB sneak is a deception play--not a single RB out of the backfield. hard to compare the QB sneak with an obvious goalline running play.

Sure it is... they both get tackled...but you argued that BB was avoiding goal line duty for his "thin" RB corp due to excess punishment. QB seems a thinner position to me, but BB lets Brady take it up the gut.

That's the beautiful thing about opinions. Theyre bound to differ. I just dont like RBs that tall. He's got long, thin legs for a RB. Those legs are gonna be a huge target in the pros. He's going to be injury prone. And I dont wish any ill will on him at all. But drafting in the top 5, youre talking about HUGE money. And the RB position is already a high-risk position as it is. Most of the more successful teams in the NFL, including NE, run the position by committee so they dont have to committ huge money to one player. So they can afford to have quality depth in case any of those guys goes down. Its worked for the Pats to this point, and Id only speculate its what they'll continue to do.

You don't like RB's that tall???? So I guess you aren't a fan of Jim Brown(6-2), Eric ****erson(6-3), OJ Simpson(6-1), Corey Dillon(6-1), Marcus Allen(6-2), Franco harris(6-2), and Ricky Watters(6-1) among many other excellent RB's who were all tall RB's? Adrian Peterson is also 6-2 and he is on his way to being an all-pro back. All running backs get banged up here and there. It's the nature of the position. The fact is the truly great RB's are great whether they are tall or short. Does anyone actually think oppossing defensive coordinators are scared of Maroney? Please. And don't give me this crap about he is a victim of playing with Moss and Brady who the offense revolves around. I guarantee you if you put LT, Peterson, or Larry Johnson on this offense and BB would be giving him the rock 20 times a game. He wouldn't be saying "Oooh, let me only give it to him 12-15 times because I'll be screwed if he gets hurt". Lame. Maroney doesn't get the rock down on the goal line because he can't get it done down there.

Last edited:
Sure it is... they both get tackled...but you argued that BB was avoiding goal line duty for his "thin" RB corp due to excess punishment. QB seems a thinner position to me, but BB lets Brady take it up the gut.

There are a couple of things to consider. One, Brady is probably the smartest player in football. Its part of the reason he's never missed a game. He knows when to get down, when to avoid contact, how to avoid atleast some of the big hits, and in the case of the sneak, how to find the crease that he needs to get the yard or 2 he needs. But more imporantly, when it comes to the force of the actual hit, there's definitely less force on a hit during a sneak, then on a play when a running back is running with speed onto a defensive player attacking with the same speed. You run 2 objects toward one another with speed, and the collision is going to be that much greater. Brady isnt running at anyone. He's looking for daylight, protecting himself, and getting down and out of harm's way as best possible. Often times, the RB trying to get that extra yard or 2 doesnt have that luxury. He has no choice but to smash into the other guy.

You don't like RB's that tall???? So I guess you aren't a fan of Jim Brown(6-2), Eric ****erson(6-3), OJ Simpson(6-1), Corey Dillon(6-1), Marcus Allen(6-2), Franco harris(6-2), and Ricky Watters(6-1) among many other excellent RB's who were all tall RB's? Adrian Peterson is also 6-2 and he is on his way to being an all-pro back. All running backs get banged up here and there. It's the nature of the position. The fact is the truly great RB's are great whether they are tall or short. Does anyone actually think oppossing defensive coordinators are scared of Maroney? Please. And don't give me this crap about he is a victim of playing with Moss and Brady who the offense revolves around. I guarantee you if you put LT, Peterson, or Larry Johnson on this offense and BB would be giving him the rock 20 times a game. He wouldn't be saying "Oooh, let me only give it to him 12-15 times because I'll be screwed if he gets hurt". Lame. Maroney doesn't get the rock down on the goal line because he can't get it done down there.

Im glad youre passionate about McFadden. But youve mentioned alot of old guys that played in a different era. Players were smaller when most of those guys were playing. And McFadden isnt built anything at all like Jim Brown or Corey Dillon. He's built like an NFL wide receiver. And Adrian Peterson just suffered a leg injury flying through the air. Who knows how long he'll be out, but he cant help his team much on the sidelines. And its only the beginning. Its a tough position to survive and stay healthy. Im making a point that you dont draft a RB that high, pay him the high dollars, and still manage the rest of your cap situation wisely. Im not going to go on bashing McFadden unnesseacarily, even though he's yet to play the 3 toughest teams in the SEC. Im telling you NE is not going to draft him because theyve already got a solid young RB who's got major talent that he's yet to even scratch the surface of.

Im glad youre passionate about McFadden. But youve mentioned alot of old guys that played in a different era. Players were smaller when most of those guys were playing. And McFadden isnt built anything at all like Jim Brown or Corey Dillon. He's built like an NFL wide receiver. And Adrian Peterson just suffered a leg injury flying through the air. Who knows how long he'll be out, but he cant help his team much on the sidelines. And its only the beginning. Its a tough position to survive and stay healthy. Im making a point that you dont draft a RB that high, pay him the high dollars, and still manage the rest of your cap situation wisely. Im not going to go on bashing McFadden unnesseacarily, even though he's yet to play the 3 toughest teams in the SEC. Im telling you NE is not going to draft him because theyve already got a solid young RB who's got major talent that he's yet to even scratch the surface of.

Different era, LOL!!!! So I guess Jim Brown, OJ, and Marcus Allen would just be JAGS and the immortal Laurence Maroney would be better than them in today's NFL??? Dude, put the pom poms down. If you think there is one NFL general manager ALIVE who would prefer Laurence Maroney over Darren McFadden than you have got to be the biggest homer in the world. Please. When McFadden is tearing this league up on the Pats or some other team the next 5 years and Maroney still can't find the end zone, than maybe then you will take the rose colored glasses off. Let me guess, you must have also been one of the Drew Bledsoe pom pom fans who kept telling other pats fans to give him time, he'll get better when he gets weapons, he has the strongest arm in the league, yada, yada, yada.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually think oppossing defensive coordinators are scared of Maroney? Please. And don't give me this crap about he is a victim of playing with Moss and Brady who the offense revolves around. I guarantee you if you put LT, Peterson, or Larry Johnson on this offense and BB would be giving him the rock 20 times a game. He wouldn't be saying "Oooh, let me only give it to him 12-15 times because I'll be screwed if he gets hurt". Lame. Maroney doesn't get the rock down on the goal line because he can't get it done down there.

You have no proof of this. But that is convenient for your argument I suppose.

By the way--how many goal line plays has Maroney been in for? How many plays has Maroney been in for in the red zone? What proof do you have that it is by player inability rather than offensive design?

It makes absolutely no sense to call plays for the sake of calling plays. The NEP offense is getting it done superbly as is--why do something otherwise when you have the success that you have?

Different era, LOL!!!! So I guess Jim Brown, OJ, and Marcus Allen would just be JAGS and the immortal Laurence Maroney would be better than them in today's NFL??? Dude, put the pom poms down. If you think there is one NFL general manager ALIVE who would prefer Laurence Maroney over Darren McFadden than you have got to be the biggest homer in the world. Please. When McFadden is tearing this league up on the Pats or some other team the next 5 years and Maroney still can't find the end zone, than maybe then you will take the rose colored glasses off. Let me guess, you must have also been one of the Drew Bledsoe pom pom fans who kept telling other pats fans to give him time, he'll get better when he gets weapons, he has the strongest arm in the league, yada, yada, yada.

So that's it then--people are either irrational Maroney supporters, or irrational Maroney detractors? There is no room for objectivity?

McFadden hasn't done squat in the NFL. That you'd take him right now over a 22yr old starting NFL running back for a 9-0 juggernaut threatening offensive records every week is pretty telling.

That you'd take him right now over a 22yr old starting NFL running back for a 9-0 juggernaut threatening offensive records every week is pretty telling.

But only in the passing game. The Pats won't be setting any rushing records this year.

See, now youre just blowing hot air. Im not bashing McFadden. Im sure plenty of GMs around the league would love to have him. I didnt say anywhere in my comments that Maroney was better. I never even said McFadden would be a bust. Im saying the RB position in general is a high-risk position, and it isnt wise to draft a top 5 guy and pay him that kind of money. Obviously, youd love to have every possible stud you can get your hands on. But not if youve gotta pay everyone of them 5 or $6 mil a year. You just cant do it. And look at Ronnie Brown. Cadillac. Ricky Williams. Cedric Benson. Peterson just got hurt, though obviously youve gotta love what he's doing. Early picks making big money. But, Larry Johnson was taken 27th. Joe Addai, 30th. Shaun Alexander, 24th. That's what Im talkin' about. Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, and endless others were drafted later and performed.

Youre a funny guy with the pompom and rose colored homer glasses talk. Im just trying to be realistic here.

Maroney is a good back. Most analysis of his skills begins with the cliche "he dances behind the lines" problem. True last year; much improved this year to those who actually watch the games and ignore the 24 hr. news fecal stream.

So that's it then--people are either irrational Maroney supporters, or irrational Maroney detractors? There is no room for objectivity?

McFadden hasn't done squat in the NFL. That you'd take him right now over a 22yr old starting NFL running back for a 9-0 juggernaut threatening offensive records every week is pretty telling.

Gee, using your argument, I guess we wouldn't have taken Sean Taylor two years ago and put him in for Eugene Wilson, because afterall, Taylor hadn't done jack sh*t in the NFL and Wilson was the starter on a super bowl team. Where do you homers come from????????? The best players play. Why do you think we draft guys???? To improve the roster!!! Wake up. If we can get ourselves a better player at any position and create competition, than that's what we will do. It's been proven time and time again. Why the hell did we draft Ben Watson at TE a few years ago when we already had Dan Graham and Christian Fauria? According to you homers we wouldn't and shouldn't draft McFadden because we already have Maroney. Absurd. And, please, if you people honestly believe LT would be sitting on the sideline if he was on this team when we got into the red zone like Maroney does, than you guys should honestly get a mental evaluation. I swear, it's embarssing sometimes being a pats fan with the amount of homers we have. You guys must all have been the ones telling me for years that Drew Bledoe was the "answer", LOL!

Last edited:
Gee, using your argument, I guess we wouldn't have taken Sean Taylor two years ago and put him in for Eugene Wilson, because afterall, Taylor hadn't done jack sh*t in the NFL and Wilson was the starter on a super bowl team. Where do you homers come from????????? The best players play. Why do you think we draft guys???? To improve the roster!!! Wake up. If we can get ourselves a better player at any position and create competition, than that's what we will do. It's been proven time and time again. Why the hell did we draft Ben Watson at TE a few years ago when we already had Dan Graham and Christian Fauria? According to you homers we wouldn't and shouldn't draft McFadden because we already have Maroney. Absurd. And, please, if you people honestly believe LT would be sitting on the sideline if he was on this team when we got into the red zone like Maroney does, than you guys should honestly get a mental evaluation. I swear, it's embarssing sometimes being a pats fan with the amount of homers we have. You guys must all have been the ones telling me for years that Drew Bledoe was the "answer", LOL!

Bledsoe took the team to a Super Bowl. Maroney has a better ypc than Joseph Addai. Upright runners in the 'modern' NFL typically wash out early due to ineffectiveness and/or injury (Hello Rashan Salaam), something that Emmitt Smith and others were discussing on ESPN after Peterson got injured. Do you have any valid points you'd like to make?

Last edited:
See, now youre just blowing hot air. Im not bashing McFadden. Im sure plenty of GMs around the league would love to have him. I didnt say anywhere in my comments that Maroney was better. I never even said McFadden would be a bust. Im saying the RB position in general is a high-risk position, and it isnt wise to draft a top 5 guy and pay him that kind of money. Obviously, youd love to have every possible stud you can get your hands on. But not if youve gotta pay everyone of them 5 or $6 mil a year. You just cant do it. And look at Ronnie Brown. Cadillac. Ricky Williams. Cedric Benson. Peterson just got hurt, though obviously youve gotta love what he's doing. Early picks making big money. But, Larry Johnson was taken 27th. Joe Addai, 30th. Shaun Alexander, 24th. That's what Im talkin' about. Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, and endless others were drafted later and performed.

Youre a funny guy with the pompom and rose colored homer glasses talk. Im just trying to be realistic here.

Great. Guess what? Should teams not draft QB's in the top 5 either just because Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, Rick Mirer, Alex Smith, and countless others have been busts? It's all about WHO is doing the drafting. If BB and Pioli are doing the drafting and they feel McFadden is worth the pick, than they have e nough of a proven history for me to give them the benefit of the doubt. The NFL draft is filled with 1st rd busts at every position. There isn't one position that is a "sure thing". There are hits and misses. Bottom line.

Bledsoe took the team to a Super Bowl. Maroney has a better ypc than Joseph Addai. Upright runners in the 'modern' NFL typically wash out early due to ineffectiveness and/or injury (Hello Rashan Salaam). Do you have any valid points you'd like to make?

Upright runners in the modern NFL typically wash out? Based on what? Eddie George had 10k plus yards in this league. Shaun Alexander has had 9k plus yards in this league with 5 straight 1100 plus seasons and an NFL MVP. George played a full 16 games in his first 7 seasons(6 seasons of 1k plus yards) and Alexander played a full 16 games in his first 5 seasons. Maroney has had two years out of the box in which he can't stay healthy enough to play all 16. Where do you guys come from? Man are you guys related to Maroney??? And do you honetsly think Maroney is better than Adai? Wow.

And another thing. Who the hell said McFadden is an upright runner? He plays low. Dillon was 6-1 and played low. Your boy Maroney plays upright, which is probably why he can't keep his made out of glass ass healthy.

First off, insulting those that you are having a discourse with is not a great way to have them see your side.

The main problem with your assertion is that NE's RB situation is filled with good, young players, thus causing it to be a lower need than other areas. Sure if BB/SP see any RB as being far and away the best player on the board they will take him and deal with the consequences later, but if it is close, I would wager that they either take someone else or trade out. Regardless of your obvious disdain for Laurence, he and Morris combine to be a very good duo. Are they great? No. But they certainly aren't anywhere near the danger zone that LB and CB could be (depending on FA).

Add in the fact that RBs just don't have the longest shelf life and I just find it hard to fathom NE sinking that kind of money into any RB, let alone a rookie.

Last edited:

Your comments have officially reached knucklehead status.

First of all, I love Sean Taylor's game. I knew he's be a difference making stud in the NFL. And if NE would have been in position to draft him instead of picking 32nd that year, they probably would have taken him. Instead, they drafted Wilfork in the 20s and Watson in the 32 hole. Two pretty 'decent' players and 2 smart picks. Games are won and lost in the trenches. Which is why NE has used those top picks on guys like Seymour and Warren and Wilfork and Mangold and Light. And they drafted 2 TEs in the 1st round in these recent years because that position is one of emphasis on this team. Just last year they took Maroney late in the 1st because he was good, it made sense, and it WASNT a top 5 pick. Imo, you take big guys early because theyre the most vital on the team. You win and lose with the big guys up front. Without them, the high dollar backs like McFadden are worthless. But quit the needless bashing. I respect the debate, but not the way youre going about it.

Ummm, it's called UPGRADING the position. If you have a chance to replace Maroney with LT, than you do it. Bottom line. Now nobody knows if McFadden will be the next LT or franchise RB, but if he is the highest-rated player on our draft board and we can take him than we should. Maroney is a nice RB. Top 15, maybe Top 10 caliber. However, he is nowhere close to being an all-pro or franchise RB. Anyone who thinks he is needs to take off the rose colored glasses. Franchise RB's find the end zone. Franchise RB's can get to the end zone from anywhere on the field. Hell, Sammy friggen Morris was averaging 4.7 ypc in this offense. Maroney is solid, but McFadden has the potential to be off the charts.

Um...YES, you upgrade positions that need upgrading. But how are you being this obtuse about the situation - INSTEAD of upgrading an already well-stocked position, why not upgrade where we NEED to upgrade and get younger, LB or CB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back