PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why We'll All LOVE Laurence Maroney next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upright runners in the modern NFL typically wash out? Based on what? Eddie George had 10k plus yards in this league. Shaun Alexander has had 9k plus yards in this league with 5 straight 1100 plus seasons and an NFL MVP. George played a full 16 games in his first 7 seasons(6 seasons of 1k plus yards) and Alexander played a full 16 games in his first 5 seasons. Maroney has had two years out of the box in which he can't stay healthy enough to play all 16. Where do you guys come from? Man are you guys related to Maroney??? And do you honetsly think Maroney is better than Adai? Wow.

Eddie George? Ok, let's take a gander at his teammate, Chris Brown. He wasn't quite as successful or durable, was he? I'm not related to Maroney, and neither is Emmitt Smith. If you've got a *****, take it up with him. The Patriots need to look for a left tackle for when Light is gone. They need another safety, another cornerback if they intend to let Samuel go, they need another tight end, and they need linebackers. Nowhere on their list of needs is a running back.

And, yes, Maroney is better than Addai.

Ok. Just like I bookmarked another thread 3 weeks ago when I told some BC homer that BC was overrated and he said I was an idiot(only to have me proven correct when BC lost to FSU and Maryland), I am going to bookmark this thread so I can remind you homers how foolish you were when BB and Pioli draft McFadden in the top 5.

So funny how you write this in every Maroney thread that is started.

First of all, I DON'T write this in every Maroney thread. Secondly, even if I did, why is it not valid? He breaks tackles a LOT. He was near the top of all NFL RBs last year in yards after contact. That's not a salient point in this discussion of his ability to run hard and get tough yards???? Isn't it, in fact, THE salient point in that debate???

Ok. Just like I bookmarked another thread 3 weeks ago when I told some BC homer that BC was overrated and he said I was an idiot(only to have me proven correct when BC lost to FSU and Maryland), I am going to bookmark this thread so I can remind you homers how foolish you were when BB and Pioli draft McFadden in the top 5.

You go ahead and bookmark it, but when they don't I expect you to rehash it just as quickly as you would otherwise.

Maroney is a good back. Most analysis of his skills begins with the cliche "he dances behind the lines" problem. True last year; much improved this year to those who actually watch the games and ignore the 24 hr. news fecal stream.

Exactly. The "dances behind the line" angle is F-ing ******ed at this point. The guy has been slashing through the line or making one cut and going the other way (as the scheme is designed to encourage) for the vast, vast majority of his carries.

This myth was exagerrated after the jet game. He had a carry or two in the first half of the SD game that I knew people would similarly blow out of proportion. Since then he's hardly done it at all. People need to realize that ALL RBs do this on occasion. They also need to realize that just because a guy runs for a loss does not mean it was DEFINITELY due to "dancing behind the line." Sometimes it's on the OL.

First of all, I DON'T write this in every Maroney thread. Secondly, even if I did, why is it not valid? He breaks tackles a LOT. He was near the top of all NFL RBs last year in yards after contact. That's not a salient point in this discussion of his ability to run hard and get tough yards???? Isn't it, in fact, THE salient point in that debate???

He may break some tackles, but it still isnt enough to my liking. If he were breaking enough tackles, he'd have scored atleast one single TD by now. I realize he's getting pulled around the goalline, but he should have scored a single TD from some point on the field. If he were really being so effective breaking tackles. Wouldnt you agree?

He may break some tackles, but it still isnt enough to my liking. If he were breaking enough tackles, he'd have scored atleast one single TD by now. I realize he's getting pulled around the goalline, but he should have scored a single TD from some point on the field. If he were really being so effective breaking tackles. Wouldnt you agree?

No

You can go ahead and bookmark this : "There isnt a chance in hell of NE drafting Darren McFadden in the top 5 of the '08 NFL draft. NONE". Book it.

Why do you think we draft guys???? To improve the roster!!! Wake up. If we can get ourselves a better player at any position and create competition, than that's what we will do. It's been proven time and time again. Why the hell did we draft Ben Watson at TE a few years ago when we already had Dan Graham and Christian Fauria?

1) BECAUSE THE PATRIOTS WERE RUNNING A TWO-TE SCHEME

2) BECAUSE ELITE TEs, like ELITE DLs, are hard to find and so Belichick tends to look at those size-speed combinations earlier than others. This is common knowledge to anyone who follows the team, I don't know how you can ask that question and expect to be respected in this argument.

Meanwhile, of COURSE we want to "improve the roster!!!" - but it's pretty short-sighted of you to say that replacing a very good 24-year old RB with a #1 pick is preferable to replacing, say, a 36- or 38-year old LB with a #1 pick. Do you think before you type or is it all stream-of-consciousness???

I would agree that Belichick has used him far less than most teams because our passing game is so ridiculous. I would say short-sighted chicken littles (not necessarily you) need to be patient and wait. And I would say that there are way too many variables that go into breaking a tackle and taking it to the house for you to make such a sweeping statement.

Its early but if we can get a tackle like joe thomas [allows 0.5 sacks from his side this year] i will thrilled.

Its early but if we can get a tackle like joe thomas [allows 0.5 sacks from his side this year] i will thrilled.

See, that's what Im talking about.

You can go ahead and bookmark this : "There isnt a chance in hell of NE drafting Darren McFadden in the top 5 of the '08 NFL draft. NONE". Book it.

Ok, bro. LOL! You might change that tune when your boy Laurence "I'm made out of glass" Maroney inevitably gets hurt yet again and is on the sideline down the stretch this year.

Ok, bro. LOL! You might change that tune when your boy Laurence "I'm made out of glass" Maroney inevitably gets hurt yet again and is on the sideline down the stretch this year.

alright, man. we all know youre incognito. who's your actual team? its obviously not New England. Id like to atleast know what kindof fan is hammering me.

Not a single TD from anywhere on the field? Not one?

No

Why should this be some form of requirement? As I pointed out in a different thread, this entire team has only 8 rushing touchdowns this season, and 3 of them were by the quarterbacks. This team has been passing for most of its touchdowns. Perhaps you hadn't noticed that....

alright, man. we all know youre incognito. who's your actual team? its obviously not New England. Id like to atleast know what kindof fan is hammering me.

I'm not a Pats fan? Why, because god forbid I don't shake the pom poms and I'm not a homer? I'm a huge pats fan. I've been to the last two super bowls. I own season tickets. Sorry, I just don't bow down and worship Laurence Maroney like you do.

Looks like you missed today's thread that debunked the theory that Maroney is any more injury prone than the first round RBs of the recent past.

Last edited:
No

Why should this be some form of requirement? As I pointed out in a different thread, this entire team has only 8 rushing touchdowns this season, and 3 of them were by the quarterbacks. This team has been passing for most of its touchdowns. Perhaps you hadn't noticed that....

Hadnt noticed. But last I checked, the object of the game was to score TDs. And for whatever reason, Maroney is yet to score ONE. Now, I'll stick with my general premise which is that he's not as strong as he should be because he spent all offseason with his arm in a sling. And he doesnt break enough tackles and score enough TDs because he simply hasnt been able to put in the work coming in. But Im not going to complain because I admire the kid's talent, he's only 22 and playing nowhere near his best football, and he's helping this team win. He's yet to score, but I havent heard him complain once. Even though Im sure that fact is killing him.

Looks like you missed today's thread that debunked the theory that Maroney is any more injury prone than the average first round RBs of the recent past.

Umm, last time I checked LT played 3 full seaons(ie all 16 games) to start his career, Eddie George played 5 full seasons to start his career, Emmit Smith played 3 full seasons to start his career, and Shaun Alexander played 6 full seasons to start his career. Edgerin James also palyed two full seasons to start his career and he was carrying the rock 330 plus both of those two years! Maroney only averages 12-15 carries a game and he can't play a full year. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft