PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does Andy Reid cover his mouth when calling plays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy Reid is a stallwart in his community because of the way he raised his two sons, "Arlen Spector". They'll make fine drug dealers when they get out of the bighouse. He also has really bad breath.

I'm sure that players are concerned about lip reading. So what? That has nothing to do with videotaping. There's a huge difference between lip reading (being perceptive) and purposely getting a video tape that you can try and interpret later (being deceptive)

Getting guys with binoculars who can lip read is perceptive? Plus having a camera in plain sight filming your signals is being deceptive? I've got to give you props you're good, but I don't agree with these premises. The fact that collecting intelligence is part of the game is not understood by the average idiot. But it goes deeper to many Pats fans, it feels like people who do understand all of the crap that has been pulled are also piling on and talking out of both sides of their mouth, much like the guy from ESPN(forgot name) who said that Howard Mudd is widely known around the league for his ability to steal signals yet only mentions these things when in Boston. The original post has nothing to do with the Pats specific type of spying, but points to the culture of the NFL where it is widely recognizable that it is a common practice.

Wow, I had a feeling someone might ask "what's the difference between Tivo-ing it and making your own??" Well let's see...the cameras of the networks are controlled by the networks. They don't go out of their way to try and catch defense signals, etc. They try to show the play of the game, not steal signals. If you make your own, then surprise, that's against the rules.

And just because there's "so many ways to get around it" makes it a stupid rule? So would you say that the laws against insurance fraud, hacking, etc. are stupid because "there's so many ways to get around it?" It's a rule, get over it.

I'm sure that players are concerned about lip reading. So what? That has nothing to do with videotaping. There's a huge difference between lip reading (being perceptive) and purposely getting a video tape that you can try and interpret later (being deceptive).

As I stated in another thread - it's not the fact that signals are being stolen, it's the method of doing it. If you happen to look over to the sideline and see an opposing coach mouth "BLITZ," that's not against the rules. But using deceptive methods to try and steal the signals, that is.

Well, I'm glad your video guy wasn't smarter than a 3rd grader then. Because somehow, he got caught.

So it's ok to cheat if it's only a little bit or because you didn't set out to. I mean this process is not rocket science but it's not like someone just happens to read the coaches lips and interpret the play call to figure out what play they actually are running. Coaches don't mouth "Blitz". There does have to be some outward attempt to steal and translate regardless if it's tvoed, on tape, or a guy in the stands with binoculars and a pen. It's either wrong anyway you look at it or not. That's why the rule is stupid(among others) because it only addresses a minute aspect of stealing signals!
If the NFL really was concerned it could outlaw filming the coach on the sidelines or taping and broadcasting audio(like really loud broadcasts of Brady's)

Well, I'm glad your video guy wasn't smarter than a 3rd grader then. Because somehow, he got caught.

Most Philly fans never reached the 3rd grade so how would you recognize a 3rd grader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft