PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do people want to replace BJGE???

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what you're saying is 13 TDs, 1000 yards and 0 fumbles in just 11 started games is not good enough for you?

Would you like 20 TDs and 2000 yards? That might be hard to find in another back. Maybe we could hold out for the next Arian Foster?

I don't really understand why you're arguing with me. I know you're a bit defensive on all matters BJGE, but come on now.

And yes, I think the Patriots would benefit from a guy who can take it to the house on any given touch. It's not an indictment of BJGE necessarily, it's just not a skill he happens to have.

Further, perhaps you're comfortable with the depth behind BJGE, but I'm certainly not. As we've seen, this offense is pretty easy to beat once it goes one dimensional.

So what you're saying is 13 TDs, 1000 yards and 0 fumbles in just 11 started games is not good enough for you?

Would you like 20 TDs and 2000 yards? That might be hard to find in another back. Maybe we could hold out for the next Arian Foster?
I don't think it's necessarily the stats, we just want a running threat teams are actually afraid of. And this is coming from a big BJGE fan.

I don't really understand why you're arguing with me. I know you're a bit defensive on all matters BJGE, but come on now.

And yes, I think the Patriots would benefit from a guy who can take it to the house on any given touch. It's not an indictment of BJGE necessarily, it's just not a skill he happens to have.

Further, perhaps you're comfortable with the depth behind BJGE, but I'm certainly not. As we've seen, this offense is pretty easy to beat once it goes one dimensional.

I don't think it's being defensive to point out that 13 TDs, 1000 yards, and 0 fumbles isn't easy to come by (we haven't had such production since 2004). I am not opposed to pairing BJGE with another back who is either 100% power or a speedster, but I would be surprised if we get a game-changer. It's just not that easy.

I think we will keep Morris, so that is three backs (BJGE, Woodhead, Morris) and draft another solid back, and that should be fine.

Last edited:
I don't think it's necessarily the stats, we just want a running threat teams are actually afraid of. And this is coming from a big BJGE fan.

We've shredded a few of the top run-stopping teams in the NFL (Steelers, Bears, Jets). Not sure why you think we aren't making other teams nervous.

We've shredded a few of the top run-stopping teams in the NFL (Steelers, Bears, Jets). Not sure why you think we aren't making other teams nervous.
I don't know, but you have to admit something needs to change. BJGE only got 9 carries against a team that was clearly selling out against the run to defend the pass. Whether it's just committing more to the running game or upgrading personnel, they just simply need to run the ball more in general.

I don't think it's being defensive to point out that 13 TDs, 1000 yards, and 0 fumbles isn't easy to come by (we haven't had such production since 2004). I am not opposed to pairing BJGE with another back who is either 100% power or a speedster, but I would be surprised if we get a game-changer. It's just not that easy.

I think we will keep Morris, so that is three backs (BJGE, Woodhead, Morris) and draft another solid back, and that should be fine.

Well I know it ain't easy, but I still think it's worth a shot, if only for depth/rotational purposes.

I'd rather cut Morris and pick up someone like Kuhn.

I don't know, but you have to admit something needs to change. BJGE only got 9 carries against a team that was clearly selling out against the run to defend the pass. Whether it's just committing more to the running game or upgrading personnel, they just simply need to run the ball more in general.

Well someone forgot to tell BOB to run on that quarter defense.

I am a huge BJGE fan and got slammed on this board earlier this year when I suggested that Maroney be benched and BJGE be given a chance.

Well, the Pats ended up jettisoning Maroney and BJGE shined.

I can't say I saw that coming, but I do know I wanted the kid to at least get a chance.

That said, I don't see how you pass up a Mark Ingram. He will be an elite NFL back. BJGE is fine, but certainly not elite.

Package a few picks and move up past the Dolphins (who will be looking at him because Ricky definitely is not coming back and Ronnie Brown probably isn't) and get Ingram.

Then you have Ingram and BJGE and Woodhead and possibly Faulk back, and you have a nice little situation going there.

I think most everyone loves BJGE. How can you not a UDFA works his way up to starter and very good contributor. And then you have Woodhead who is a very good 3rd down back and more and this duo will make up a very big part of our running game for the next few years. I hope Faulk comes back because the group could use his veteran presance and there is plenty he can do that neither of the above can or can do as well.

Past that I think there is some room for someone else and I think we have the amo to really make this position as good as anyones backfield in the league and this would take a lot of pressure off Brady and the D and round out the team nice. I only want to invest heavy if we can find someone better than what we have and it may not be there but if we can improve, do it.

IMO OLB and RG (or center but I have more faith in Koppen than Connolly the duo is the weak spot on the line though) should be top draft priority and resigning Light and Mankins should be top FA priority but after that I would be happier to see the rushing attack improve more than any other position. after OLB, RG, Light, Mankins, and RB I would put DL, WR, DB ( I rank these lower on priority list because we have Ty Warren and Bodden coming back and at WR we have Tate, Edelman, and Price to continue to improve the position by further developing.

BJGE's stats are even more impressive when you consider the Pat's preference for multiple WR sets. I agree that we need another RB to replace Morris and/or Taylor. And I agree that if they do that, they should look at a speedster to complement BJGE's north-south style. But I would hate to see one of the first 6 picks spent on a RB. there are way too many other needs on this team (OL, DL, OLB).

Seriously, I don't know what this kid needs to do to get the respect of some of the posters on this board. :confused:

Last edited:
No player is guarenteed to be elite. For some reason Ingram will be the next stud back no question. I have a few problems with this.

1. Runningback has been a risk in the first round and this has been shown numerous times. The most sure bet at RB in the last decade (admit it :D ) was Reggie Bush. We know how that turned out.

2. I watched a couple of Alabama games and he looked unimpressive against SEC defenses. I was more impressed with his teammate he split carries with. Perhaps Kontra could help us here being a big Gators fan.

3. Ingram isnt even guarenteed to be a top 25 pick. So I dont see how hell be sure fire bet.

4. Legarrete Blount and C.J Spiller.

No 1st Rd Rb.....

The team needs an upgrade at RB because they've got 3 aging backs (Taylor, Faulk, Morris) and 2 backups/complimentary backs (BJGE, Woodhead) currently manning the position.

This, I will also add that Brady will not always play lights out, especially in the playoffs, and when that did happen 1000 yards meant nothing, we don't have enough clock time to let an avg back like BJ make a differnce and if we did the D isn't going to get enough stops to win. A good D can make Brady play below his monster 10/07 season and then we are screwed because BJ isn't winning a low scoring game, he is just a finisher when we have already lit up the scoreboard.

Another way to look at it is if we don't have an elite D we need a real RB and if we don't have a real RB we need an elite D. Question is which can be built by possibly next year, I say a real RB is more reasonable because Brady won't go lights out again and the D is still too young, so if we want to have a chance I do think we need to upgrade from the average RB we have. 1000 yards 10 TDs to me means Brady had a rare season, not that BJ is a true game changing RB.

I am fine with BJGE and Woodhead. I think we could have utilized Morris much better though. How much effort would it take to have 5 or 6 3 RB plays in the playbook.

A play no longer sen in today's NFL would be a nice change of pace when a team like the jet's employs 6 DB sets. We don't need different backs ... just a tweak of the playbook for days when a different backfield utilized with a no huddle could grab you an extra TD in a game.

Morris is likely to be replaced ... we really could use a real FB for the stretch run every year.

Good highlight, but he wasn't touched... which is good, but the line blocked that perfectly. I want to see him make contact, shed the tackler, and then add 25 yards for the TD.

Again, sorry to have offended you, the rest of the NFL agrees with me, they would defend the Pats with 6,7 and 8 DBs if they were worried about the Patriots running game.

So what the hell were the Jets doing back in December when the Patriots passed for 7 yards the entire 4th quarter and ran 12 times for 2 touchdowns?

They were waiting for a pass that never came?

If it's so easy to do, why do the Colts have so much trouble running it the way BJGE does?

Last edited:

You're right....that is a coaching issue....not a personnel issue....

i don't think they want to replace him, but they're gonna need more depth
than just woodhead especially when there's an 18 game schedule coming up

i don't think they want to replace him, but they're gonna need more depth
than just woodhead especially when there's an 18 game schedule coming up

Are you sure?

No player is guarenteed to be elite. For some reason Ingram will be the next stud back no question. I have a few problems with this.

1. Runningback has been a risk in the first round and this has been shown numerous times. The most sure bet at RB in the last decade (admit it :D ) was Reggie Bush. We know how that turned out.

2. I watched a couple of Alabama games and he looked unimpressive against SEC defenses. I was more impressed with his teammate he split carries with. Perhaps Kontra could help us here being a big Gators fan.

3. Ingram isnt even guarenteed to be a top 25 pick. So I dont see how hell be sure fire bet.

4. Legarrete Blount and C.J Spiller.

No 1st Rd Rb.....

I will leave the rest of your post alone but I have to say I was right about this guy:cool:

I will leave the rest of your post alone but I have to say I was right about this guy:cool:

Blount was a beast this year.....should be great RB for Bucs for years to come ....great combo of size and speed.

Blount was a beast this year.....should be great RB for Bucs for years to come ....great combo of size and speed.
That's why I like Michael Bush at Oakland. Seems like he'd be an excellent compliment to our offense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe