PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do people want to replace BJGE???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to replace BJGE. I want to augment him with speed to waste and the ability to score from anywhere on the field (e.g. Jamaal Charles, my pipe dream).

If BJGE ever gets injured, we'd be between a rock and hard place.

Ideally I'd jettison Morris and Taylor, sign Kuhn, pick up another RB in FA/draft, draft Pouncey, sign or draft another OG/OC, re-sign Light and Mankins.

I agree 100% I would love to have 17,28 and 33 spent on Leshoure, Pouncey and Wisniewski. I honestly think that if we resign Light and Mankins and draft these three all of our offensive problems are solved. With a Ty Warren return and hopefully resigning Gerard Warren for a year I think that our D-Line depth will be fine which will hopefully allow us to sure up the middle of our O-line and get a bruiser back to take pressure off TB. I love BJGE but he works best as a complement to TB more so than being able to take over a game. Having a first round talent back that Maroney was supposed to be for us would really change our dynamic on offense. Just because TB can win you the game with a more spread attack doesn't mean he has to or even should be the focus 100% of the time. Brady may be the best play action quarterback of all time and he truly is in his prime(as was on display this season) he can be even better with a running game that is truly feared. In my opinion having three studs in the middle(Mankins, Wisniewski, Pouncey) with three backs of BJGE, Leshoure, Woodhead is something to be feared. Those three backs would complement eachother beautifully. Leshoure and BJGE grinding down the defense and Woody being able to slice you up would be great especially because Leshoure would bring some big play ability as well.

I call BS, the guy had no leverage, every NFL RB should be able to do that.

The fact is that your claim was that "Not once did I see him punish anyone on the defense". Someone posts that BJGE did, actually, punish someone and you call BS with some BS about leverage????

That's what most people call SPIN or Moving the Goal Posts.

Reality is that I watched BJGE get 3 and sometime 4 yards after the initial hit would have stopped Maroney, Taylor, or Morris. If you don't think that is punishing on the D-line, then you won't even understand what "punishing" is.

I too, was not a fan of Green-Ellis when we started the season. We needed a solid runner, who could dependably gain a couple of yards and who could take care of the ball. Also, I thought that we need to get a 3rd down back to eventually replace Faulk.

We now have a 1000 yard runner (as be did with Antowain Smith) who NEVER fumbles. We have Woodhead as our Faulk for this decade. Sure, we would like to have a Dillon, but we are fine with what we have as our starters on 1st and 3rd downs.

Most agree that we need more than two dependable running backs on the team. Consider what happens if either is injured. It is not about subtraction (getting rid of Green-Ellis). It is all about additions.

As of now, we have THREE open running back positions. Barring injuries, we have TWO rb positions filled for the 2011 roster.

We can debate what the roles are that need to be filled by these three running backs. We can argue on who they might be? We can argue with regard to how many, if any, of our ancient ones for 2011. However, it seems clear that we have 2 running backs for 2011 and we need to fill 3 positions.

And just by the way, I feel better about the running back situation than anytime since Dillon left. How about you all? A 1000 yard runner and a top 3rd round back is great!

I don't want to replace BJGE. I am a fan. I would like to enhance the position. I was not enchanted with Maroney (and got torched) as many were here, but I liked BJGE. I did NOT expect him to perform this well so I am happy for him. I did not consider him a camp cut as some did which I could not figure out. But, another dependable back that has some more explosion would be fine. Maybe it is Woodhead after a full year of camps and schemes for him, but why not make this a three headed monster? We all know BJGE is not going to go the distance in a flash. Woodhead takes some big hits so he is not your bell cow, but he is a great change of pace.

In all honesty, I think we can all attribute to the strong passing game as some fact of Ben's success. If we had an Ingram or a Pierre Thomas, the 12 yard gains could be TDs. I am not complaining about the BJGE 7 and 12 yarders, just saying. Greene and Mendenhal are about the same size and they are a TD threat every play. I am just saying if we had three backs who get comparable carries, TB does not have to air it out on say a 3rd and 4 as much. We have to not put the whole offense on his shoulders every game. I guess a few OL pieces need to come as an upgrade as well.

I am still not enchanted with Sanders, but I will sit and eat a little crow on him this year right beside DB. I still think he can be easily upgraded because we still got burnt in the middle (see Cotchery), but to be fair he made a few plays. My point is, I think that how good of a season it was for BJGE we can enhance the RB position too, with a Ingram or even a Pierre Thomas. I think BJGE is still a liability in the passing game as a receiver but his pass blocking has improved. If you can give him 12-15 carries and another RB the same and mix in Woodhead for about 5 carries (not including pass. He averaged about 7 carries per game this year) you could dominate almost every game.

The Chiefs had the #1 running game in the NFL. Jones had about 16 carries per game and Charles about 14 per game average. If you can get up to 35 rushes per game I think you have about a 80% chance of winning that game.

In his SB year with the Pats. Dillion carried about 24 times per game (Faulk about another 4-5 carries per game) . The important stat was he was about 4.7 YPC. If you add Woodhead and BJGE carries together they are less per game (about 20). I just say enhance the RB element slightly, we are not forcing TB to win every game and let the other Teams game plan for the run as well. We all admit some of the runs this year were a direct benefit of a superb passing game. Top heavy balance one way or the other is no good but give the running game a slight upgrade and this Team is that much better. It carries over to a fresher defense as well.

So...another top tier back and some added carries and our defense is befitted. Am I wrong here?
DW Toys

Last edited:
I don't think they need to replace him, but they certainly can upgrade the position. I think the RB by committee approach is still the best unless you have an Adrian Peterson. This team needs to replace Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris and possibly Faulk (although that is Woodhead).

You look at the top running teams in the NFL this season and a lot of them had a committee approach including the top running team (KC). Having two RBs capable of rushing for over 1,000 yards isn't a bad thing.

The one thing that does concern me about BJGE is whether this was a fluke year or not. Odds are it wasn't, but we cannot be sure.

Good post, Rob. I feel the same way.

BJGE is a good runner. The thing it that you need two of these guys. If you don't have two, you need Corey Dillon. Having those two is part of the solution. The other part of the solution is comitting to the running game and ensuring defenses don't tee of on TB all the time.

Woodhead is a 3rd down back/situational runner.

Last edited:
With 2 or 3 possible RB vacancies, I would expect the majority view would be to bring in a running back who can compete for the position and, if presenting a better option than BJGE, ultimately replace him on the depth chart.

If BJGE had that second gear that allowed him to take off when he cleared the LBs, then I would say the position is settled (Woodhead has that skill, but cannot bounce off the front 7 due to his size). That ability requires teams to adjust defenses away from a pure passing defense and compensate for that ability. BJGE doesn't offer that skill. I would agree with others saying he nicely compliments a passing game, but does not offer a stand-alone running game if an opposing defense takes out the passing game.

BJGE fits our current offensive system very well. Partnered with Woodhead and Morris we had our best rushing season in quite a while, I would guess it was better than most of us anticipated at the beginning of the season when Maroney was our #1 back. I think by asking for a "bigger or better" back what some are looking for is a different offensive scheme that isn't likely to happen as long as we have the receiving corps including tight ends that are now on the roster. If we wanted to run the ball more we could have but it just isn't what this offense was all about.

With 2 or 3 possible RB vacancies, I would expect the majority view would be to bring in a running back who can compete for the position and, if presenting a better option than BJGE, ultimately replace him on the depth chart.

If BJGE had that second gear that allowed him to take off when he cleared the LBs, then I would say the position is settled (Woodhead has that skill, but cannot bounce off the front 7 due to his size). That ability requires teams to adjust defenses away from a pure passing defense and compensate for that ability. BJGE doesn't offer that skill. I would agree with others saying he nicely compliments a passing game, but does not offer a stand-alone running game if an opposing defense takes out the passing game.

BJGE is a nice back, but if you can add a potential superstar RB wouldn't you do it? I know I would. IMHO the RB squad for 2011 should be BJGE, Rookie, Faulk, Woodhead.

The rookie being one of the big name studs. I would also add 2 OL, 2 DL and 1 OLB (6 picks in first 3 rounds) to the mix depending upon who they signed in F/A.

games are truely won and lost in the trenches and the Pats need to make their trench players the best they can be.

Last edited:
No RBs in the last few years had a chance to get 1000 sice it was a 3 or 4 person time share. 62 yds a game is all it takes to get 1000. He doesnt have Jamaal Charles breakaway speed and he doesnt have great strength like a steven jackson. Hes just very very very average.

We need a bruiser imo someone you have to stack the box to stop we havent had it since dillon.

The fact is that your claim was that "Not once did I see him punish anyone on the defense". Someone posts that BJGE did, actually, punish someone and you call BS with some BS about leverage????

That's what most people call SPIN or Moving the Goal Posts.

Reality is that I watched BJGE get 3 and sometime 4 yards after the initial hit would have stopped Maroney, Taylor, or Morris. If you don't think that is punishing on the D-line, then you won't even understand what "punishing" is.

I don't think running over a guy that had no leverage and just barely got there punishing... Alphonso Smith I bet didn't get up and think... Ouch... that guy is a beast...

I want to see him bowl over a LB in the hole.

I agree with DaBruinz on this.

You think you can find the next Corey Dillon, fine, then do it. Because that guy may be Hall of Fame bound.

But for heaven's sake, really, Marshawn Lynch?!!! One game! He was kicked out of Buffalo for a reason. They got sick of watching him dance in the backfield. Mendenhall is a load and fast, yeah. How many drives did he kill with his dancing behind the LOS? 2nd and 13 is not an easy spot to be in. BJGE doesn't fumble and gains 4 yards GUARANTEED. That's GOLD in the NFL.

I agree with those who believe we definitely need a good backup, FA or later in the draft.

I watched BJGE running from a good vantagepoint behind the end zone this year, and I could see him on stretch plays making outstanding decisions that the vast majority of RBs couldn't make. The guy sees holes develop before they pop open, and he has uncanny vision and ability. He needs a backup, for sure.

Here is a guy who worked his way into the line-up with hard work and a can do attitude. He became the 1st Patriots RB since Dillon to put up 1000 yards in a season. He had a 4.4 YPC AND scored 13 TDs.. Yet, all I hear is people wanting to draft Mark Ingram or Mikel LeShoure as if that is going to make the running game better with the huge questions on the O-line with Neal, Mankins, Light and Koppen..

I ask this because he won me over. Yes, I was a Maroney supporter. I ate my crow on him.. Just like I did with Randy Moss back in 2007 and 2008.

So, seriously, why is it that people want to replace this kid who did a helluva job this year?

Couldn't agree more with your points here. Been big fan of,BJGE since he got here...guy is a hardworking, hard running decisive RB.....there are some people here that are convinced that if you put Adrian Peterson behind our OL ....he is going to have tremendous impact and success. If no holes are opened by the OL...don't care who is running back there...they will have limited success. Heck....a lot of people were.begging for a gimpy, old Fred Taylor to come back so we could really get our running game going!! Talk about a pipe dream!......BJGE has done.great....and will be starting again next yr!

All I did was point to his one run... It was those kind of runs we have seen from Dillion... That's the kind of running game I want to see the Pats employ.

You can even go back to 07 in the offseason, and I was positing about lack of a power running game, with attitude was our down fall in that SB.

Playoff football is about who can push the other lines the most. We need a RB who can push the line, and a running game that will make Play-action a devestating weapon for Brady.

NO ONE RESPECTS the Pats Play-Action...

Would I burn Lawfirm at the stake for a chance at a guy like Adrian Peterson? Hell ya.
Would I draft a RB super high on a chance that the RB turns out like Adrian Peterson? Hell no.
Would I draft or trade middle-ish picks for a relatively cheap/proven back and/or a good prospect who will contribute and augment the wood-firm? Hell ya.
Obviously Bill will trade down and back and grab whoever is best available, but I really think our pass rush/o-line are far higher priorities in the coming years than a high draft/expensive FA RB.

BJGE has done everything this season to warrant coming back next year. 1000yards with no fumbles on the season!!! He hasnt done anything wrong really, he may not be Chris Johnson but he did what he was told to do and did it effectively this year. If you cut him based off what he did last year then Maroney should have been gone after his first season.

Shonn Greene has an extra gear?

I guarantee you BenJarvus could beat him in a footrace. His 40 times are definitely faster.

Is this based on what Greene did against the Patriots last week?

Because BenJarvus has broken plays just like that one.

See here:

Game Highlights: Patriots vs. Packers

I don't want to cut him, I simply want to give him some serious competition during camp, and let's see what he does. I would love to see him add 10 lbs and not lose a step during the offseason.

I like him, but I think our entire team and offense has taken a non-reversible step towards a finese team, and we don't win championships like that.

I want to add a big back via FA, I don't believe in drafting a player which may have 3 - 4 years of elite level playing in his career anywhere near the top 3 rounds.

I want to add a solid RB in the off season, and spend 4 picks on the lines through the draft.

The team needs an upgrade at RB because they've got 3 aging backs (Taylor, Faulk, Morris) and 2 backups/complimentary backs (BJGE, Woodhead) currently manning the position.

Last edited:
As of right now, my frustration over the offensive focus is being channled into BJGE... I like the guy a lot, but overall, I want to see more emphasis on ball control 7 minute drives capped off with a TD. I want power running.

I want to be able to run right at, and through the Jets next year.

Shonn Greene has an extra gear?

I guarantee you BenJarvus could beat him in a footrace. His 40 times are definitely faster.

Is this based on what Greene did against the Patriots last week?

Because BenJarvus has broken plays just like that one.

See here:

Game Highlights: Patriots vs. Packers

Good highlight, but he wasn't touched... which is good, but the line blocked that perfectly. I want to see him make contact, shed the tackler, and then add 25 yards for the TD.

Again, sorry to have offended you, the rest of the NFL agrees with me, they would defend the Pats with 6,7 and 8 DBs if they were worried about the Patriots running game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots