PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do people want to replace BJGE???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The team needs an upgrade at RB because they've got 3 aging backs (Taylor, Faulk, Morris) and 2 backups/complimentary backs (BJGE, Woodhead) currently manning the position.
How do you feel about Benson?

Our current stable of RBs is pretty thin assuming Morris, Taylor and possibly Faulk are out. There will be a minimum of 5 new running backs brought in this off-season. The only way that BJGE gets replaced is if two of them are deemed better. I don't think he is going anywhere.

How do you feel about Benson?

If the Patriots are looking to keep BJGE as a major player in the RB stable, and looking for a veteran RB to pair with him rather than looking to replace him, I'd much prefer Deangelo Williams be the target. Williams is used to a platoon system, and he's generally been pretty darned good in it. Benson's career best is 4.2 ypc, and I haven't found him to be particularly impressive. I know he's played on some bad teams, but I've never watched his play and thought that he was better than the numbers he was putting up.

To be fair, the Bears o-line was absolutely horrible while he was there, and we may never understand just how much suckitude being a member of the Bengals imparts to a player, so I'm really just going on instinct here. Benson could end up being a very fine player on a real team, but I'd rather look elsewhere than take that sort of gamble.

Last edited:
Good highlight, but he wasn't touched... which is good, but the line blocked that perfectly. I want to see him make contact, shed the tackler, and then add 25 yards for the TD.

Again, sorry to have offended you, the rest of the NFL agrees with me, they would defend the Pats with 6,7 and 8 DBs if they were worried about the Patriots running game.

You don't defend the run with extra DB's.

I'm sure Morris and Taylor are gone, or at least they should be. Faulk should retire - I like Woodhead in that role because he's younger and faster, although he may not have Faulk's hands. As for free agents - I doubt you'll see a "big" name like Bradshaw, or DeAngelo Williams - it will be, as usual, middle of the road guys looking for their second contract or over the hill guys who were good three years ago. I actually think Ronnie Brown is a distinct possibility....don't know how much he has left in the tank as he'll turn 30 next season.
I want the Pats to have a guy they can use like the used Corey Dillon...just demoralize teams by running it down their throat...

Though it's not officially the off-season, let's be real. Taylor, Faulk and Morris are UFA. Of the 3, Faulk might be back. I don't see the other two coming back.

I fully agree with adding another RB. Someone like a Michael Bush would be a great addition. But there is no RB in the draft who I see as better than BJGE. And, I disagree with the statement that BJGE is a "complimentary" back. The kid showed he's got what it takes to handle being a starting RB.

Woodhead is definitely a 3rd down type back and no one will find me saying otherwise.

I have no issue with drafting a kid like Delone Carter or Vai Taua later in the draft to be a complimentary back to BJGE. But there isn't anyone in this draft who is head and shoulders above BJGE. Not Ingram and not LeShoure. Yet, there are still threads talking about adding Ingram or LeShoure and ignoring the O-line. Shoring up the O-line will have a bigger impact on the running game and the passing game than adding Ingram or LeShoure would.

As of right now, my frustration over the offensive focus is being channled into BJGE... I like the guy a lot, but overall, I want to see more emphasis on ball control 7 minute drives capped off with a TD. I want power running.

I want to be able to run right at, and through the Jets next year.

If you want power-running, then you are rooting for the wrong team. As long as Brady is at QB, this team is primarily a pass first offense. The only time they weren't a pass first offense was in Brady's 1st year as a starter and in 2004 when they had Dillon.

And, I don't see a RB of Dillon's stature available. Not to mention the issue with the blocking by the O-line.

You guys are kidding me. Benson fumbled 7 times this season. No thanks.

I mean his running style only, not his propensity for fumbling.

To look at it another way, look at KC. We already have a Thomas Jones (BJGE). What we need is a J. Charles. Someone who is a threat from anywhere on the field and ideally can catch out of the backfield. Though, as you've noticed, Brady had a number of opportunities to dump it off to BJGE but for some reason is reluctant or unwilling to do so.

To me, it's less about whether or not BJGE is a starting-caliber back and more about finding someone who offers us abilities that he doesn't possess. I'm more keen on RBBC anyway.

Last edited:
You guys are kidding me. Benson fumbled 7 times this season. No thanks.
Damn, I didn't even know that. DWilliams seems like the only good option right now.

The fact is that your claim was that "Not once did I see him punish anyone on the defense". Someone posts that BJGE did, actually, punish someone and you call BS with some BS about leverage????

That's what most people call SPIN or Moving the Goal Posts.

Reality is that I watched BJGE get 3 and sometime 4 yards after the initial hit would have stopped Maroney, Taylor, or Morris. If you don't think that is punishing on the D-line, then you won't even understand what "punishing" is.

Great post....very well said.

How 'bout John Stephens/Leonard Russell hybrid? :D

What are peoples thoughts on John Clay? People want to add a RB with a different style than BJGE and most mention fast elusive backs.

What about 6'1 248 pounds coming right at ya :D

(Jerod Mayo is the same size LOL)

Last edited:
Upgrading Koppen and Neal would be a much better way to improve the run game. BJGE is great and he could actually be better with some improvements made to the offensive line. BJGE for President!

I mean his running style only, not his propensity for fumbling.

To look at it another way, look at KC. We already have a Thomas Jones (BJGE). What we need is a J. Charles. Someone who is a threat from anywhere on the field and ideally can catch out of the backfield. Though, as you've noticed, Brady had a number of opportunities to dump it off to BJGE but for some reason is reluctant or unwilling to do so.

To me, it's less about whether or not BJGE is a starting-caliber back and more about finding someone who offers us abilities that he doesn't possess. I'm more keen on RBBC anyway.

BJGE's running style is simple: north-south. How can you possibly improve on that?

BJGE's running style is simple: north-south. How can you possibly improve on that?

By finding someone with greater innate physical talent? I think it's more about talent than running style; it's not like anyone is saying BJGE is a better running back than Barry Sanders because BJGE runs north-south.

Last edited:
By finding someone with greater innate physical talent? I think it's more about talent than running style; it's not like anyone is saying BJGE is a better running back than Barry Sanders because BJGE runs north-south.

So what you're saying is 13 TDs, 1000 yards and 0 fumbles in just 11 started games is not good enough for you?

Would you like 20 TDs and 2000 yards? That might be hard to find in another back. Maybe we could hold out for the next Arian Foster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News