PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Deion Branch over Julian Edelman ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what I dont get is where the board has come up with the Idea that Branch is done and cant play?

2010 - 900yards
2011- 700yards

sure, he is NOT good enough to be your #2 wr which he was last year, but Belichick understands that which is why he brought in Lloyd, and we had the ocho failure experiment.

but as a #3 wide receiver playing limited snaps, I cant think of a better option out there....he is on the same page as brady and has that ability where defenses will forget about him and he will come up with a big play or two.

I credit those numbers to Brady and the fact offenses had better options to focus on, we dominated passing wise those two years and Brady was MVP candidate.

I expect Branch to get cut soon, I know he is loved but its time to move on imo.

I credit those numbers to Brady and the fact offenses had better options to focus on, we dominated passing wise those two years and Brady was MVP candidate.

I expect Branch to get cut soon, I know he is loved but its time to move on imo.

Edelman has played about the same frequency so far as Branch did last year.
Edelman has 57 yards which is about 60% of what Branch produced last year.
So, if you attribute it all to Brady and it had nothing to do with Branch, then why doesn't Edelman have that production?

So, if you attribute it all to Brady and it had nothing to do with Branch, then why doesn't Edelman have that production?
Because Edelman sucks.

He's only played two games. Branch played in 16 last year. Premature to compare their production...unless you're into taking averages over two games.

Last edited:

The options those years were Welker, Branch, Gronk and Hernendez - and as rookies in 2010 with Welker rebounding from an ACL and Branch coming in cold a month into the season. When it's time to move on it's always preferable to have someone to move on to. Lloyd may turn out to be that player, but even he requires a backup. And Hernandez was to be the focus of the offense this season. When he goes down you better have a plan B and likely not just in the form of a backup TE because there isn't one available who can replicate his production for good reason (i.e. given the law of supply and demand they wouldn't be street FA's if they could).

Who needs Branch to average another 50 catches for several hundred yards and 5 TD's when we have Edelman on pace to take reps away from Welker on his way to 48 catches for 450 yards and no TD's. And while we're at it might as well holla at Gaffney to take whatever he's offered whenever he's healthy because we're good to go... Brady doesn't really need targets to amass yards. Besides Vereen and Fells and Schiancoe will probably be healthy one of these days. :ugh:

He's only played two games. Branch played in 16 last year. Premature to compare their production...unless you're into taking averages over two games.

Over the last two seasons Branch has averaged 11 catches for 132 yards and half a TD in his first two games. You don't want to compare the 2011 Branch vs. 2012 Edelman straight up. And Branch did it without taking Welker off the field. Not even sure you want to compare 2011 Ocho to 2012 Edelman through the first two... More yards in half the catches.

Last edited:
Lloyd seems to be having trouble with the back shoulder catch. It is not just timing, but doesn't see it soon enough, doesn't sell it, let's the defender hang with the play, doesn't come back, let's it get to the body. The guy seems like he can make the most unreal catches but no body's perfect.

That will not fly on the Pats since most of the time that is the only real pass play working over 15 yards, (not counting 5-7 yard throws going for 25) and is pretty disappointing. It limits what they can do with the guy. means that they will just send LLoyd deep or quick outs. So they needed another WR. Not the welker and edelmann 5 moves and a dink and dunk, but a WR who makes one move and then catches the ball.

Lloyd seems to be having trouble with the back shoulder catch. It is not just timing, but doesn't see it soon enough, doesn't sell it, let's the defender hang with the play, doesn't come back, let's it get to the body. The guy seems like he can make the most unreal catches but no body's perfect.

That will not fly on the Pats since most of the time that is the only real pass play working over 15 yards, (not counting 5-7 yard throws going for 25) and is pretty disappointing. It limits what they can do with the guy. means that they will just send LLoyd deep or quick outs. So they needed another WR. Not the welker and edelmann 5 moves and a dink and dunk, but a WR who makes one move and then catches the ball.

I know you are new to the board, and I don't mean this to rip you, but this is pretty far off the mark.
We have had a grand total of 1 incomplete back shoulder throw to Lloyd, so you simply cannot make those judgments from that.
And we have rarely even used that play in the past, while being probably the most effective team ever hitting the TEs and slot WR up the seem down the field.

Its not premature at all.
THE POSTER said Branch was only a prodcut of Brady. Branch had 700 yards in 15 games, and Edelman has 57 in 2.
If Branch were only a product of Brady, then Edleman would be producing similarly.
The Patriots do better with Branch on the field than Edelman. Its not really debatable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft