PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which team will acquire the 28th pick for a quarterback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up: Cincinnati's new OC apparently intends to transition to a West Coast offense. Cincy is going to be looking for accuracy and decision making in the short passing game and mobility (Ponder and Dalton early, McElroy later).

I completely agree, Dalton and Ponder are much better fits for the Jay Gruden offence. Although Mallet does seem like a perfect fit character wise for Cincy.

I completely agree, Dalton and Ponder are much better fits for the Jay Gruden offence. Although Mallet does seem like a perfect fit character wise for Cincy.
Both he and Newton if half the rumors and speculation are to be believed.

I see Gabbert falling to Cincy as their first pick and becoming starter early

Palmer won't be starting in week 1...if there is a week 1

This could be Belichick's best route to go if he desires to trade the twenty-eighth pick for a second round pick and additional picks in later rounds, or future picks. What we know is these teams may or may not use the draft to fill their need for a new quarterback. Conversely, there are a few teams who might be able to hold-off and wait until next year.

Arizona - John Skelton or Max Hall or better
Buffalo - Ryan Fitzpatrick (FA 2012)
Carolina - Jimmy Clausen or Tony Pike or better
Cincinnati - Carson Palmer (retire?)
Jacksonville - David Garrard
Miami - Chad Henne
Minnesota - Joe Webb or better
Oakland - Jason Campbell (FA 2012)
San Francisco - Alex Smith FA
Seattle - Charlie Whitehurst (FA 2012)
Tennessee - Vince Young (FA 2012) Trade?
Washington - Donovan McNabb Trade or cut?

Ideally, Cincinnati, Minnesota and San Francisco are the teams you want to hear from if you're New England. Of the three, Minnesota is the one that you're the most curious about. It's no secrete that they would like to start over at quarterback and could select him with the twelfth pick. Still, New England affords all three teams the opportunity to select the best available player at their pick and use New England's pick to select a quarterback. Moreover, all three teams own a second round pick in the top thirteen of the second round.

Why would a QB needy team trade up to #28 to draft a QB when no team between #28 and #33 are in need of one? If any team is trading back into the first, they're trading into #23, 24 so that they can get ahead of Seattle, or trading into #31, #32 to avoid getting involved in an auction for our #33 which may well kick off day 2.

Apologies if i missed someone else making that point.

Just a heads up: Cincinnati's new OC apparently intends to transition to a West Coast offense. Cincy is going to be looking for accuracy and decision making in the short passing game and mobility (Ponder and Dalton early, McElroy later).

On the contrary, Mallett believes he can function in a West Coast offense.

Quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese was at Mallett's Pro Day on March 8 which meant Mallett got to meet offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and head coach Marvin Lewis for the first time. When it came to what he expected out of visiting teams, Mallett did admit that he was nervous coming up here because the Bengals was the first team he visited and that he didn’t know what to expect.

With the quarterback class in this year's draft, Mallett might be the most divisive — coaches either love him for his arm or hate him for decision making late in big games, pointing out Arkansas' losses to Alabama and Ohio State. There has been no middle group when discussing him.

We will have a feature on Mallett that delves more into that issue, but when it comes to if he thinks he will be the right fit in a West Coast offense, Mallett said that a lot of what they ran at Arkansas were based in that system.

"I consider that I've been playing in a West Coast last three years," Mallett said. "We ran a lot of crossing routes and shallow routes. That was a big part of our game."

When asked what impression he is trying to leave teams with, including the Bengals, Mallett said: "I think I can lead a team to a championship. I can learn quickly and adjust on the run."

Mallett says visit to Bengals went well | Bengals Blog

On the contrary, Mallett believes he can function in a West Coast offense.
When asked about his experience with the triple option, Mallett confirmed, "Coach Petrino incorporated much of the Triple Option into his offense, I've been running it for him at a high level." :yeeha:

Why would a QB needy team trade up to #28 to draft a QB when no team between #28 and #33 are in need of one? If any team is trading back into the first, they're trading into #23, 24 so that they can get ahead of Seattle, or trading into #31, #32 to avoid getting involved in an auction for our #33 which may well kick off day 2.

Apologies if i missed someone else making that point.

The same reason the Pats would trade up one pick in the first: to make sure that someone else doesn't leapfrog over them.

Well, let's see, of the needy teams for a new quarterback, Cincinnati, Cleveland, San Francisco, Minnesota and Seattle all deploy some version of a West Coast offense. Therefore, it's imperative for these teams to land either Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton or Pat Devlin. But that's only three names since Mallett and Locker aren't supposed to be ideal choices.

San Francisco can probably wait it out for Devlin in the fourth or fifth round. Meanwhile, Minnesota is in the best position to select Ponder and Seattle to select Dalton. That is, if you assume that Cincinnati and Cleveland will select the best player available. With that said, the first round is guaranteed to produce at least four quarterbacks. Because Washington will select the best player available as well.

My question is, what is Tennessee's plan to fill their void at quarterback next season. They might be the second team most in need of a starting quarterback behind San Francisco. Fortunately, Tennessee will be selecting ahead of San Francisco in the second round should they target Colin Kaepernick. He has already worked out for them.

So, I'm rethinking my stance on how many quarterbacks are likely to get selected in the first round because Tennessee would've no reason to trade back into the first round if the above scenario happens between they and San Francisco. Unless... I wonder would Arizona trade back into the first round for Mallett. Interestingly, Arizona didn't attend Mallett's Pro Day. Also, Arizona picks ahead of both Tennessee and San Francisco in the second round. Could Arizona target Kaepernick instead? Interesting.

Last edited:
Well, let's see, of the needy teams for a new quarterback, Cincinnati, Cleveland, San Francisco, Minnesota and Seattle all deploy some version of a West Coast offense. Therefore, it's imperative for these teams to land either Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton or Pat Devlin. But that's only three names since Mallett and Locker aren't supposed to be ideal choices.

San Francisco can probably wait it out for Devlin in the fourth or fifth round. Meanwhile, Minnesota is in the best position to select Ponder and Seattle to select Dalton. That is, if you assume that Cincinnati and Cleveland will select the best player available. With that said, the first round is guaranteed to produce at least four quarterbacks. Because Washington will select the best player available as well.

My question is, what is Tennessee's plan to fill their void at quarterback next season. They might be the second team most in need of a starting quarterback behind San Francisco. Fortunately, Tennessee will be selecting ahead of San Francisco in the second round should they target Colin Kaepernick. He has already worked out for them.

So, I'm rethinking my stance on how many quarterbacks are likely to get selected in the first round because Tennessee would've no reason to trade back into the first round if the above scenario happens between they and San Francisco. Unless... I wonder would Arizona trade back into the first round for Mallett. Interestingly, Arizona didn't attend Mallett's Pro Day. Also, Arizona picks ahead of both Tennessee and San Francisco in the second round. Could Arizona target Kaepernick instead? Interesting.

It all is very interesting indeed. You ask about Tennessee's QB solution, and with good reason. I also ask you about Washington's QB solution, as they are certainly not keeping McNabb. I suppose they will try and trade for someone if/when free agency starts?

There sure are a lot of teams with possible QB interests this yr, especially without any going to free agency. It will be interesting for sure.

Peter King believes that Donovan McNabb makes sense for Minnesota. I disagree.

Washington finds themselves in a precarious situation indeed. I can't make heads or tails on what they plan on doing to offset the inevitable lost of McNabb. I mean at least the soon to be ex Titan Vince Young caries some semblance of value for a few teams. Should Washington have an interest in Young? In my opinion, I would pass on that notion if I were the Redskins and do as Minnesota and start over at the position. Hence, acquiring McNabb as a stopgap is contradictory to the idea of starting anew with a young rookie. On the other hand, if you doubt that a franchise quarterback like Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco or Ben Roethlisberger exist in this year's draft. Then maybe you roll the dice on a McNabb for one season.

Other names to consider besides McNabb include Kevin Kolb, Vince Young, Josh Johnson, Tim Tebow and Carson Palmer. Of these, Palmer is the least appealing as a stopgap quarterback. Conversely, Young or Tebow could help sell tickets based on name recognition alone.

Shanahan is looking at everybody, Mallett and Kaepernick and Dalton, Washington is trying to find trade partners to drop down from #10 and grab a QB in the mid first. Depending on who is sliding down to #10, BB may be able to make a move up at a slight discount because Shanny - unlike his owner and the previous GM - knows the value of a draft pick.
Peter King believes that Donovan McNabb makes sense for Minnesota. I disagree.

Washington finds themselves in a precarious situation indeed. I can't make heads or tails on what they plan on doing to offset the inevitable lost of McNabb. I mean at least the soon to be ex Titan Vince Young caries some semblance of value for a few teams. Should Washington have an interest in Young? In my opinion, I would pass on that notion if I were the Redskins and do as Minnesota and start over at the position. Hence, acquiring McNabb as a stopgap is contradictory to the idea of starting anew with a young rookie. On the other hand, if you doubt that a franchise quarterback like Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco or Ben Roethlisberger exist in this year's draft. Then maybe you roll the dice on a McNabb for one season.

Other names to consider besides McNabb include Kevin Kolb, Vince Young, Josh Johnson, Tim Tebow and Carson Palmer. Of these, Palmer is the least appealing as a stopgap quarterback. Conversely, Young or Tebow could help sell tickets based on name recognition alone.

I don't see Washington reaching on Locker when they don't need to if they want him that badly.

The problem for Washington is how best to address so many needs in one draft. Besides a quarterback, they need help at defensive line, offensive line, wide receiver, corner back, running back and linebacker.

Forget about AJ Green, you should never draft a first round wide receiver without already having your starting quarterback in place. Sometimes, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, Oakland made an attempt to select a "franchise" quarterback in JaMarcus Russell instead of a supreme talent in Calvin Johnson.

Which brings me to Carolina. Reportedly, Carolina likes Green but would rather trade down to get him. But, it's tough to trade down in a draft such as this one with so much uncertainty for who's most worthy of the top selection.

The Redskins may pull a real upset here and draft Jake Locker. They have been talking quarterback, but Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton are off the board at this point and I just am not feeling Locker here yet.

The Redskins could try and trade up, but they do not have a lot of draft picks to work with this year. Trading down might be the best option if they decide to pursue a first-round quarterback.

A.J. Green drops to tenth in this draft, but he will not fall past the Redskins, who need a wide receiver, among other things.

2011 NFL Mock Draft: Washington Redskins Take Advantage of a Big Drop | Bleacher Report

Forget about AJ Green, you should never draft a first round wide receiver without already having your starting quarterback in place. Sometimes, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, Oakland made an attempt to select a "franchise" quarterback in JaMarcus Russell instead of a supreme talent in Calvin Johnson.

If there are exceptions then it doesnt seem like much of a rule. I think it makes sense to get the right players when they're available, "reaching", whether it be for a WR or QB just leads to bad things. I'd rather have a stop-gap QB like Jon Kitna at the helm than to grab a QB who doesnt sit well with me just because people tell me I "need a franchise QB".

I'd rather have a stop-gap QB like Jon Kitna at the helm than to grab a QB who doesnt sit well with me just because people tell me I "need a franchise QB".

Why didn't you tell that to Oakland back in 2007?

Anyways, Carolina has placed the pressure on themselves to use the top pick in this year's draft to select a quarterback. Personally, I think they should give Jimmy Clausen one more season as the starter to make sure he isn't the answer there. However, he won't get that opportunity in Carolina with the head coach not being one of his supporters.

If the answer isn't Tony Pike either. Perhaps, they can acquire a quarterback who's on the trading block. Because depending on where you read and who you believe Carolina has skepticism toward both Newton and Gabbert.

Which would you rather have next season, Clausen and AJ Green or Newton and Steve Smith?

Don't think this is really news, but Carolina general manager Marty Hurney is said to be the only one in the building in Charlotte who still believes 2010 second-round pick Jimmy Clausen might be up to the task of handling the Panthers starting job. Everyone else in Carolina, and many coaches and personnel men around the league for that matter, thinks the Panthers have to draft a franchise quarterback this year.

NFL pro days offer coaches respite from labor news - Don Banks - SI.com

Sounds like I'm in the minority.

Outside of Gabbert and Newton, I think any team would be reaching to take a QB in the first round. Last year, fans saw Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy drop into the second and third round. Tebow, had it not been for Denver, could had easily fallen into the second round.

I suppose the difference is, there are more teams in need of a franchise QB than last year. My predication is that four QBs will be taken in the first round, while the other QB-needy teams will scramble around the second round to get their future bust.

If a Offensive Tackle fell to the 28th spot [a la Joe Staley], the Patriots could move back to the deep end of the QB prospect pool.

I'm with you, sort of. To me, the fact that there are, after Gabbert and Newton, about 5 QB who generally project to second tier talent means the draft will go like last year, where the QB's plummeted, especially considering the mediocrity at the position. I fear only 2 will go in the first round as teams draft for D linemen knowing they can get a QB in round 2.

So I am not sure ANY team will trade up for a QB at 28. I imagine 33 is more likely to receive offers.

Why didn't you tell that to Oakland back in 2007?

Anyways, Carolina has placed the pressure on themselves to use the top pick in this year's draft to select a quarterback. Personally, I think they should give Jimmy Clausen one more season as the starter to make sure he isn't the answer there. However, he won't get that opportunity in Carolina with the head coach not being one of his supporters.

If the answer isn't Tony Pike either. Perhaps, they can acquire a quarterback who's on the trading block. Because depending on where you read and who you believe Carolina has skepticism toward both Newton and Gabbert.

Which would you rather have next season, Clausen and AJ Green or Newton and Steve Smith?

Wouldn't have mattered. Al Davis only listens to the voices inside his own head, anyway. ;)

Seriously, great point about the Panthers putting pressure on themselves (complicated by what the former coach did in the previous draft, but that's almost always the case, it seems). From my perspective, the rational "pure football" move would be to say "screw this" and take Dareus to start building a defense that can actually help a new QB, or to trade down at a steep discount to get a 2nd rounder and more. Seems likely that either way, they'll be picking fairly high again in 2012 (if there IS a 2012 draft). Probably their worst fate would be to draft a QB that wins just enough games to take them out of the top ten for the next draft or two or three and really never gets any better.

OTOH, Cam Newton may not be all that bad for them, in the short and long run. I'm not saying he has the same level of talent that Vick has, but his running ability does offer similar tactical advantages to a team that already has a decent running game. And, I think he may be slightly closer to developing into an adequate drop-back passer than a lot of people appear to assume - maybe closer than Vick was when he was drafted. Newton could create just enough spark to re-vitalize the offense a bit right away and to make it competitive in coming years IF he actually develops well (same with any QB) and IF the FO actually builds a decent team around him. Most important from an ownership perspective, a Cam Newton will likely put more fannies in the seats than a Marcell Dareus will.

1) Are you the same poster whose mock this week had Dareus being drafted at 16?

2) I think that Carolina should try to trade out of #1 to 2, 3, 4 or even 5. They don't need to get full chart value. For example, I think that they would be much better off with #4 plus a 2nd.

From my perspective, the rational "pure football" move would be to say "screw this" and take Dareus to start building a defense that can actually help a new QB, or to trade down at a steep discount to get a 2nd rounder and more. .

IMO if any one is going to trade up for pick #28 it wont be for a QB it will be for OL or OLB befor the jets or packers can get them

The colts are now talking about grabbing quarterback in this draft to eventually replace Manning.
NFL.com news: Polian: Colts could select Manning's successor in this draft

Smokescreen? Are they trolling for offers on their first round pick?

I think they may draft a guy in the later rounds, just not with their 1st. Polian doesn't make a ton of deals so it may not be a smokescreen, but I have a hard time thinking a GM would openly talk about these things a few weeks before the draft either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST