PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Is The Pats Deep Threat At????

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people say we need a deep threat we mean 'another tall guy'. If he can run fast that's nice too, but the biggest impediment is Gronk going down and not having the ability to get jump balls.

Yet, the 49er's and Ravens defense is far superior in talent and tenacity than the Pats. Another major need for the Pats.

A deep threat is a major need. How the hell could you even disagree with this?

Other than resigning Welker and Vollmer, all the Pats' major needs are on defense.

They don't need one. A stud deep threat was not the reason they lost yesterday or in the Super Bowl last year. If Gronk was healthy in the Super Bowl last year, the Pats probably win that game without a deep or outside threat.

A deep threat is a nice or even great to have, but certainly not a neccessity. Other than resigning Welker or getting a replacement, I don't see upgrading the receiving corp in any way other than depth as a huge need especially compared to other needs on the team. Assuming we sign or replace Welker, here are my list of needs in somewhat order:

• Resign Talib or get a replacement
  • A starting safety
  • Interior pass rusher
  • Edge rusher
  • Resign Vollmer or get a replacement
  • A LB who can cover on passing downs
  • Guard help and depth on the o-line

I would put all those needs ahead of a deep threat especially since Gronk can fill the need as a deep threat and has quite a bit over the last two years.

A deep threat is important in this new nfl.

Desean jackson torched the 2 defenses that shut down the patriots the last two seasons.. There's nothing like shocking a defense with a deep ball, but the patriots don't have one.

If you're gonna end a sentence with a preposition, at least throw in a few Wilfork-isms too. For instance, stick to singulars where plurals are called for and leave off adverbial contractions where people usually expect them.:D

Desean jackson torched the 2 defenses that shut down the patriots the last two seasons.. There's nothing like shocking a defense with a deep ball.

Ding Ding Ding.
The current Patriots offense is built around being perfect. They have long, sustained drives, short passes etc..No big hitters.

The problem with that is that this approach requires TFB to be perfect and execute every throw. Guys like Flacco can chuck it and pick up 30 yards without having to run 7 great plays and make perfect throws.

Look at the Red Zone and tell me this team doesn't need receivers. We had no shot without Gronk today.

Brady is at a tremendous disadvantage compared To Flacco, Ryan, etc...
Those guys have receivers who can make big plays WHILE BEING covered.
Lloyd and Welker have catch radiuses of about 6 inches downfield.

Desean jackson torched the 2 defenses that shut down the patriots the last two seasons.. There's nothing like shocking a defense with a deep ball.

You mean the Desean Jackson who plays for the Eagles who have not even sniffed the playoffs in the last two years? Without DeSean Jackson, would the Eagles have had negative wins the last two years? Not exactly making a strong argument for a deep threat WR by bringing up an example of a team that went 8-8 in 2011 and 4-12 in 2012 as proof that a deep threat is important in the new NFL.

So do you mean that if the Pats get a deep threat WR, they can be 4-12 in 2013?

Why not bring up Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson? They are arguably the two of the best deep threat WRs in the game and if you combine their teams' wins totals you don't get double digit wins (the Lions went 5-11 and the Cards went 4-12 with 12 straight losses). The Steelers went 8-8 with Mike Wallace. The Bucs went 7-9 with Vincent Jackson. Dallas went 8-8 with Dez Bryant.

If you look at the top ten WRs for YPC, 8 of them didn't make the playoffs (Vincent Jackson, Cecil Short, Chris Givens, Nate Washington, Josh Gordon, Calvin Johnson, and Steve Smith). Only Torrey Smith and TY Hilton made the playoffs of that list.

This is one of the major reasons why the Pats can't win the big games.

Where is Randy Moss's replacement at? :mad:

It would help, but why don't people realize what the bigger issue was. When Brady is playing with a lead the offense clicks, the key is to have a defense that keeps Brady on the field. Screw wasting effort and big money trying to find a prima dona receiver, go out a put EVERYTHING into the backfield and finding a bonafide passrusher. I guarantee if we had more pressure on Flacco, Brady would've been able to do his thing.

You mean the Desean Jackson who plays for the Eagles who have not even sniffed the playoffs in the last two years? Without DeSean Jackson, would the Eagles have had negative wins the last two years? Not exactly making a strong argument for a deep threat WR by bringing up an example of a team that went 8-8 in 2011 and 4-12 in 2012 as proof that a deep threat is important in the new NFL.

You're confusing the point here. A deep threat makes aggressiveness defenses like the giants and ravens respect the deep ball, like what the patriots did with flacco :rolleyes:

I laughed my freaking ass off when brady went no huddle and the ravens defense just stood there, like they knew the patriots were going to throw a short pass.

As for the team records, let's not pretend like the afc east isn't the weakest division in the nfl.

So do you mean that if the Pats get a deep threat WR, they can be 4-12 in 2013?

Why not bring up Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson? They are arguably the two of the best deep threat WRs in the game and if you combine their teams' wins totals you don't get double digit wins (the Lions went 5-11 and the Cards went 4-12 with 12 straight losses). The Steelers went 8-8 with Mike Wallace. The Bucs went 7-9 with Vincent Jackson. Dallas went 8-8 with Dez Bryant.

If you look at the top ten WRs for YPC, 8 of them didn't make the playoffs (Vincent Jackson, Cecil Short, Chris Givens, Nate Washington, Josh Gordon, Calvin Johnson, and Steve Smith). Only Torrey Smith and TY Hilton made the playoffs of that list.

The patriots record is somewhat inflated by how horrible the afc east is.
Just look at the teams the patriots have to play 6 times
The horrible bills who don't have a qb
the horrible dolphins who don't have a qb
and last but not least, the horrible jets who has a qb that fumbles off his linemen's butt.

5 to 6 guaranteed wins a year on top of the worst teams in the division the patriots play that year.

You're confusing the point here. A deep threat makes aggressiveness defenses like the giants and ravens respect the deep ball, like what the patriots did with flacco :rolleyes:

I laughed my freaking ass off when brady went no huddle and the ravens defense just stood there, like they knew the patriots were going to throw a short pass.

As for the team records, let's not pretend like the afc east isn't the weakest division in the nfl.

First, the AFC East wasn't the only bad division. Several other players that I listed play in bad divisions. The Pats did play the NFC West which was a good division, the Ravens, Broncos, and Colts. It wasn't like they had all tomato cans on the schedule.

Second, the Pats had to play the deep routes because Flacco is all arm. The guy's weakness is the shorter and intermediary passes. His strength is the deep ball. Brady's skill set is probably the opposite. Even if Brady had Moss in his prime, teams would still be far more concerned with the short passing game than they would with Flacco.

Third, if Gronk was playing, I am sure the Ravens would have much more respect for the short stuff and not just stand there. In fact, their game plan in September was all around taking away Gronk from the offense. It wasn't deep threat that was missing yesterday, it was Gronk.

The afc west says hello....

The patriots record is somewhat inflated by how horrible the afc east is.
Just look at the teams the patriots have to play 6 times
The horrible bills who don't have a qb
the horrible dolphins who don't have a qb
and last but not least, the horrible jets who has a qb that fumbles off his linemen's butt.

5 to 6 guaranteed wins a year on top of the worst teams in the division the patriots play that year.

LOL! So the NFC South doesn't suck? So the AFC West doesn't suck (Wasn't the knock on the Falcons going into the playoffs that they didn't play anyone?)? So the NFC East doesn't suck this year? Let's get real. If the Eagles with DeSean Jackson were in the AFC East (without the Patriots), they might have been 5-11 or 6-10. If the Bucks were in the AFC East without the Pats, they might have been 8-8.

Also, the Pats scored more points vs. the 49ers than any team they faced. The Pats scored the second most against the Seahawks (the most were scored by the Lions in Detriot) on the road. It isn't like this offense didn't do fairly well against some tough defenses.

First, the AFC East wasn't the only bad division. Several other players that I listed play in bad divisions. The Pats did play the NFC West which was a good division, the Ravens, Broncos, and Colts. It wasn't like they had all tomato cans on the schedule.

Second, the Pats had to play the deep routes because Flacco is all arm. The guy's weakness is the shorter and intermediary passes. His strength is the deep ball. Brady's skill set is probably the opposite. Even if Brady had Moss in his prime, teams would still be far more concerned with the short passing game than they would with Flacco.

Third, if Gronk was playing, I am sure the Ravens would have much more respect for the short stuff and not just stand there. In fact, their game plan in September was all around taking away Gronk from the offense. It wasn't deep threat that was missing yesterday, it was Gronk.

1-Am i the only that Notices the trend of Superbowl winners that plays in tough divisions?

2- I think the ravens would have respected the deep ball if moss played in this no huddle offense, instead of having the secondary 20 yards off the line.

3-They did shut down gronk in the playoffs the year before and held the brady without a score.

The afc west says hello....

The NFC South isn't far behind either. You take their bottom three teams vs. the AFC bottom three teams and they only have two more wins total.

The NFC East may have been competitive with each other (except the Eagles), but they weren't all that good out of division.

This is one of the major reasons why the Pats can't win the big games.

Where is Randy Moss's replacement at? :mad:

When Moss was here we:

Lost the SB scoring 14 points.
Missed the playoffs
Lost at home to Baltimore scoring 14 points.

1-Am i the only that Notices the trend of Superbowl winners that plays in tough divisions?

2- I think the ravens would have respected the deep ball if moss played in this no huddle offense, instead of having the secondary 20 yards off the line.

3-They did shut down gronk in the playoffs the year before and held the brady without a score.

1.) The Pats can't control that and I disagree with that argument. The Giants went 9-7 last year and played like crap down the stretch. Their division might have been evenly matched, but they weren't all that good. The Pats rolled that division last year except for the Giants and it took nearly half the Pats defense to go down in that game to lose.

2.) They did respect the no huddle because the Pats were very effective with the no huddle in the first half and mostly shot themselves in the foot on drives. The Pats didn't respect the no huddle in the second half because they stopped using it in the third quarter and went back to in down in the fourth with a lot of success until mistakes and turnovers blew drives.

3.) Last year's offense wasn't as good as this year's offense. Gronk with this offense with a strong running game and Lloyd would have been far different from last year. And they didn't shut down Gronk last year. He had 8 catches for 87 yards before Pollard took out his ankle at the end of the third quarter which neutralized him for the rest of the game. Gronk would have had a TD too if he kept both feet in bounds on a catch. They had no answer for Gronk other than hobbling him.

LOL! So the NFC South doesn't suck? So the AFC West doesn't suck (Wasn't the knock on the Falcons going into the playoffs that they didn't play anyone?)? So the NFC East doesn't suck this year? Let's get real. If the Eagles with DeSean Jackson were in the AFC East (without the Patriots), they might have been 5-11 or 6-10. If the Bucks were in the AFC East without the Pats, they might have been 8-8.

Also, the Pats scored more points vs. the 49ers than any team they faced. The Pats scored the second most against the Seahawks (the most were scored by the Lions in Detriot) on the road. It isn't like this offense didn't do fairly well against some tough defenses.

The afc east is the worst division in the nfl, but that's not the point.

"If the Eagles with DeSean Jackson were in the AFC East (without the Patriots), they might have been 5-11 or 6-10. If the Bucks were in the AFC East without the Pats, they might have been 8-8." I don't understand how you can say this.

The patriots offense was completely shut down before justin smith got injured.

The Ravens covered the deep routes well yesterday, in fact.
Contrary to an uneducated analysis, they didn't just let guys run deep. Thats why Brady wasn't throwing to them. To say they ignored deep routes to flood the short zones is to say you weren't watching the game.

1.) The Pats can't control that and I disagree with that argument. The Giants went 9-7 last year and played like crap down the stretch. Their division might have been evenly matched, but they weren't all that good. The Pats rolled that division last year except for the Giants and it took nearly half the Pats defense to go down in that game to lose.

2.) They did respect the no huddle because the Pats were very effective with the no huddle in the first half and mostly shot themselves in the foot on drives. The Pats didn't respect the no huddle in the second half because they stopped using it in the third quarter and went back to in down in the fourth with a lot of success until mistakes and turnovers blew drives.

3.) Last year's offense wasn't as good as this year's offense. Gronk with this offense with a strong running game and Lloyd would have been far different from last year. And they didn't shut down Gronk last year. He had 8 catches for 87 yards before Pollard took out his ankle which neutralized him for the rest of the game.

1-I'm to the opinion that a team needs to be tested in order to fix their flaws. Every game in the nfc is a national game and seems more important than afc east games.

2-They respected it when they found out the refs were not calling illegal contact and decided to wrap up anyone that catches the ball.

3-Gronk is a redzone threat and the ravens kept him out.

The afc east is the worst division in the nfl, but that's not the point.

I would say the AFC West is the worst division, but there isn't a huge amount of difference than the bottom three or four divisions. They all suck about as much.

"If the Eagles with DeSean Jackson were in the AFC East (without the Patriots), they might have been 5-11 or 6-10. If the Bucks were in the AFC East without the Pats, they might have been 8-8." I don't understand how you can say this.

Me neither, but I figured I would be generous to make my points. They probably have about the same record no matter what division they are in. Fact of the matter is the Eagles wouldn't have gone from 4 wins to 12 wins (or even 7 or 8 wins) by going to the AFC East.

The patriots offense was completely shut down before justin smith got injured.

And the Pats were without Gronk. I mean if you are arguing one player can make that much of a difference, shouldn't one of the best TEs in league history make just as much of a difference.

Seriously, people use injuries when it suits their purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back